Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at 49ers Post Game Thoughts (give us your 5-10 key takeaways)

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich said he doesn’t know how Rhodes played tonight. Leonard said he hurt his calf again. Something to watch this week.

Yeah Rhodes was a warrior tonight.

also just clarifying when you say Leonard said he hurt his calf again you mean Rhodes and not Lenard right?  

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think he makes it about himself too much and I don’t know the way he gets so giddy at times just kinda rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

He wasn't a great QB but he was good, had a lot of wins and can read defenses really well. I like him better than Simms as far as announcing and Simms won a SB in 86.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He wasn't a great QB but he was good, had a lot of wins and can read defenses really well. I like him better than Simms as far as announcing and Simms won a SB in 86.

Yeah I don’t really factor how good a player was into their announcing duties.  Simms was just boring.  Aikmam is pretty boring too but he’s trapped with Joe Buck so each week he doesn’t jump out of the broadcast booth is a win for him.  

Maybe it’s just Colts Bias but I thought Dungy was really good when NBC had him call Notre Dame games last year.  I was disappointed when they replaced him with Brees this year.  Honestly a three man both with Trico, Dungy, and Brees would be really good I think.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The witless wonder that is Greg Doyle trying to stir things up by seeing an injury that isn’t there because he can’t stand good things happening to the Colts.

Yup, witless wonder is a good descriptor....

Pretty sure Defo was doing the grave digger.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

This was such a big play from Wentz. So nice to have a QB that can do this.

I just want to see him do is sparingly.  He doesn’t know how to slide and it’s how he got hurt in Philly a lot and how Luck got hurt here too.  It’s good to have but I like that we are seven games in and this was really the first game he’s really broken it out a lot.  Granted, one of those games he couldn’t really move.  

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

If there was one gripe I have with Reich tonight was we didn’t have a big variety of run plays. Ir was just run it straight ahead. Maybe because of girls conditions but that has to change.

I mean what they were doing was working so he didn’t go away from it.  He just kept calling until the 49ers stopped it (which they never did with Taylor). That’s Tom Moore play calling 101.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I just want to see him do is sparingly.  He doesn’t know how to slide and it’s how he got hurt in Philly a lot and how Luck got hurt here too.  It’s good to have but I like that we are seven games in and this was really the first game he’s really broken it out a lot.  Granted, one of those games he couldn’t really move.  

I'm with you. But he's the baller type, so I'm prepared to hold my breath at times... I think as the OL get better and he continues to gel with his pass catchers, he won't need to be super hero as much. The dude isn't afraid to stand in the pocket though either lol. Pretty fearless all around, and it's something I like, and hate, at times..

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Eagle fans are meting down. I love it.

Yeah they have sellers remorse on Wentz and really want Frank back.  I think they would gladly give the Colts the Colts first round pick back and then some for Wentz and Frank but Ballard called no backsies on the trade.

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Eagle fans are meting down. I love it.

I like it too although the remorse probably should be about them not drafting another QB instead of sticking with who theyve got. I think they could be alright for the long haul possibly if they get Watson and get themselves a ground game. Caveat on Watson with the criminal case but i think it clears up enough for him to get back in it.

1. Man Wentz is playing great. When he takes off running, I love that he's playing so hard, but also hate how it's so reckless. (Kinda like that other QB we used to have) 

2. Pittman is SO good. Those hands in that weather for the TD?? Unreal! 

3. For the 835th time, STOP RUNNING HINES UP THE MIDDLE!!! Line him up at WR and be done with it. I'm not sure what's going on with that guy, but he's been playing like garbage. 

4. Bout time they start using Big Mo in the game plan! 

5. Keep running play action!!!! It works. (just ask the Titans) 

6. This defense gets destroyed on misdirection plays and bootlegs. I don't understand how it can be that bad. Gotta figure that out

7. Leonard. He's a maaaaniac...maaaaaniac on the field. Those numbers they posted on his first 4 seasons are mind blowing. He's earned every penny of that contract. 

8. Bagley should really be in the mix for the kicker moving fwd. 

9. Also, this D better tighten up the run defense A LOT. If they play like last night, Henry is going to have a field day. 

10. We need some pass rush BAD

11. I'm sooooooo glad Roidney harrison wasn't part of the halftime show! 

Now they need to beat the Titans 

8 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Give Fisher a break he going against one the best pass rushers in the league. Did Bosa get a sack I don't think so it's not even a conversation after tonight. 

Absolutely true.  I thought he did as well as could be expected going against Bosa.  He did a great job steering him to the out side so Carson could step up and throw.  He's a mauler in the run game too.  He's improving every game.  No complaints at all tonight.

A well coached game.  The counter plays were better covered in the second half....SF made plays in the second half because of individual talent matchups and not defenders being out of position.  The weather and Aiyuk's nonproduction helped to not expose where we lack talent.  The defense was coached well for the talent it has to play with, as usual.  Frank coached a good game on offense.

The DE play was better.  Lewis continued to make a few plays and Paye showed up more than either Turay or Ben have in a couple of years.

Wentz is an excitable guy.  It seemed that the way SF sliced through the D early, Wentz felt the need to play hero ball in the first quarter.  Some of his plays could have been picks and could of lost us the game in the first half.  Nice to see that he settled into understanding the limitations and played well after that.  Overall, I think that he continued to show that he is worth a top 15 first round pick.

JTs "benching" in the late 4Q during "possession time" is what should happen when you put the ball on the ground.  Needed to protected the ball better BEFORE losing it and learning a lesson.

What does Hines do?  He's not really a backup RB (we need a real one), and it seemed the soggy grass totally eliminated his explosiveness. Mack also looked slow on that surface.

Sorry, Nelson has not done what Frank expects him to do when we continually run to the left side.  I assume our LT play has something to do with it, but Nelson is not the SuperGuard that changes the oline.  Franks major fault is that he runs left too much, at least the eye test says those plays get stuffed the most.....all season, except when Reed played LG.

Fisher appears to not have the anchoring or explosion ability.  I assume that the leg may not gain its core strength back until next season.  Playing surface may have effected him, or how he thought about stressing the leg.

Nelson, Reed, Kelly, Pryor, Smith?  Just a thought.

Pitt is a nice down field threat, but we still need a real one like PC or TY.

Mo is settling nicely into being Doyle's replacement.

I guess Granson still can't run the plays we drafted him for?

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The media will be drooling over the Titans today.  But let's face it the KC OL is terrible and their secondary is awful.  So I wasn't impressed by their win. We will be 4-4 after we play them this week.  Not expecting a close game. 

Titans are more talented than the Ravens team we went toe-to-toe with. Expect a close game down to the wire. 

Something nobody has mentioned the last two weeks colts have been very good in the red zone. If TN turns the ball over like they did that first game we will convert most likely. Now SF has not been good on defense in the red zone but we are getting better. Everything Rick Vinturi mentioned as a SF weakness was exposed last night.

43 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We are right in the thick of a WC race.

Yep, root for the Steelers and Chargers to take care of the Browns, Ravens, Patriots, Raiders etc. in their games before we get a shot at the Raiders and Patriots. AFC North beating each other up is good for us, same with AFC West.

I have no problems with our players and on field talent level. There is room for improvement in execution, however. I still have head-scratchers about the play calling, but it has improved.  I would cut out running Hines up the middle from the playbook. It's a waste of time and talent.

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I have no problems with our players and on field talent level. There is room for improvement in execution, however. I still have head-scratchers about the play calling, but it has improved.  I would cut out running Hines up the middle from the playbook. It's a waste of time and talent.

Reich has been great these 4 games.

Archived