Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at 49ers Post Game Thoughts (give us your 5-10 key takeaways)

EastStreet

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No huge thoughts on the game, was a decent performance on both sides of the ball.

Overall the season thus far boils down to this; we've beaten Jacoby, Davis Mills and Jimmy G and we've lost to the 4 good QB's we've faced. Basically, par for the course. Got it done here and we're beating who we're supposed to beat. Now let's beat someone good at some point. Titans next week.

- We'll really struggle against air raid teams. Secondary just playing w 1 arm tied behind back

-Pittman is making a case as a legitimate #1

- wentz I honestly think is close to 2017 form

- Blame it on the rain, not Milli Vanilli, but too many holding calls. Sloppy blocking but still, held up when we needed a big play

- say what you want about the defense bend but dont break, when they live up to the name, you cant hate on the crazy amount of turnover and impact plays

We played well but got lucky tonight too. This defense and Fluss inability to make decent adjustments when it comes to middle of the field and PA is incredibly annoying. I know we’ve got some non-starters out there, but you can still scheme them better. 

Frank really needs to stop trying to be cute. Just punch the defense in the mouth and score. 

Will be interesting to hear why Hines was in there at the end.  I am hoping it’s because he put the ball on the ground twice and not because he was hurt.

Reed needs to replace Glow.

Michael Pittman is the future and the future is now.

Leonard keeps making good things happen.

Rhodes just keeps gutting it out and was rewarded with a craft INT.

Carson was off but still played well enough in awful conditions to help his team win.  That’s mark of a franchise QB.  Also gutsy running but glad it’s few and far between games wise.  
Taylor is a franchise back.

Cox is becoming redzone beast.  
Badgely keeps playing well.  The Colts might have a decision to make at kicker in a couple of weeks.

The Colts need to figure out the bootleg.  The Titans are going to use that and counters too death next week and unlike the 49ers they won’t go away from it.  It amazes me that a team who plays the Titans and Texans twice a year who love the bootleg can always look like they have never seen it before when a team uses it.

Muhammad remains the most consistent end but Paye made his presence felt.

I expect Mack to be traded this week unless Taylor is hurt.

I got really annoyed with all the screens that weren’t working all game long but many they paid off big time with that game sealing TD to Pittman.  Sometimes that’s what coaches do, call something all game to set up another play.  
The Colts are showing they will throw it deep and now that Pittman is emerging as legit number one and getting TY back should make teams think twice about stacking the box and give Taylor more running room.

credit Frank after a rocky first couple of drives that was one of the cleanest rain games I’ve seen a team play.  Frank had them ready.

I will say this. I was not a fan of the Wentz trade. While he’s played okay and at times, great despite the W/L record, he hasn’t “wowed” me ......... until tonight. He got started out trying to play hero ball but settled and figured out it was down home, back yard nonsense type of game. And he played it very very well. Kudos. 

8 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

1st thought post game "ha take that Tony Dungy for picking against us"

Yeah, especially since he was on the Colts podcast saying he liked the way we've been playing  and liked us the rest of the season. I have a lot of respect for Tony but this is mystifying.  

1. Big game, with lots of guys stepping up on the road, and in bad weather. Had to have it, and we got it!
  2. Wentz was scary at times, but scary good too when he needed to be. Pretty obvious they were trying to get PIs on some of the calls, and SF is the most PI'd team in the league, and their DBs rarely turn around. Great 50/50s to the big boy! And some huge run pick ups too. I'm sure his QBR won't impress (maybe it will, IDK), but I'm also sure his passer rating will be at least 100, he was more than 50% in a bad weather game.
  3. Pittman is a beast. 100+ yards, and another ton (70+) on PIs. I still don't like Xs as #1 WRs, but he's proven he can step up and make the big plays as deep X or in the seam. Great to see Wentz is willing to trust him to go get the damn ball.
  4. Taylor is a beast too. Another 100+ yard game on the ground and a 5.9 AVG..... Great comeback after coughing up the ball early. 1st RB to get 100+ vs SF in 20+ games.... 
  5. Mo.... another game, another TD and clutch play.... MORE MO please.
  6. Leonard .... another game, another punched peanut lol... Needed him big time, and he delivered in a pivotal point in the game.
  7. AQM and Lewis had good lunch box games. Defo didn't show much, which is surprising to me tonight. Thought he'd beast out. 
  8. Fisher is still bad.... Got pushed back big time, and boat raced at times. 
  9. Nice to see Dulin get some catches and nice to see Coutee get a catch (and PI). 
  10. Hines is struggling in just about every facet of the game. Need him to get his head right by next week.
  11. Bonus - we were very lucky the weather allowed us to play 2x SSs tonight.... Our D was trash at times, and luckily we did enough, and SF was bad enough, to pull that one out. 

Bring on the Titans

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I will say this. I was not a fan of the Wentz trade. While he’s played okay and at times, great despite the W/L record, he hasn’t “wowed” me ......... until tonight. He got started out trying to play hero ball but settled and figured out it was down home, back yard nonsense type of game. And he played it very very well. Kudos. 

I think that’s where Frank and his relationship comes into play.  Wentz was clearly rattled and I am guessing Frank knew how to calm him down.  

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

- We'll really struggle against air raid teams. Secondary just playing w 1 arm tied behind back

-Pittman is making a case as a legitimate #1

- wentz I honestly think is close to 2017 form

- Blame it on the rain, not Milli Vanilli, but too many holding calls. Sloppy blocking but still, held up when we needed a big play

- say what you want about the defense bend but dont break, when they live up to the name, you cant hate on the crazy amount of turnover and impact plays

Dude... really... now that song will be stuck in my head the rest of the night....

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

So they were worried about Taylor fumbling.

In a strange way that’s great news.  Clearly, not that they were worried he would put the ball on the ground but that’s he not hurt.  Can’t really blame them considering he put the ball on the ground twice.  Also, since they were just pounding it into the line Hines can do that and saves some carries on Taylor which will extend his career over time.  The only thing that could have hurt them there would have been a fumble.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:
  1. Big game, with lots of guys stepping up on the road, and in bad weather. Had to have it, and we got it!
  2. Wentz was scary at times, but scary good too when he needed to be. Pretty obvious they were trying to get PIs on some of the calls, and SF is the most PI'd team in the league, and their DBs rarely turn around. Great 50/50s to the big boy! And some huge run pick ups too. I'm sure his QBR won't impress (maybe it will, IDK), but I'm also sure his passer rating will be at least 100, he was more than 50% in a bad weather game.
  3. Pittman is a beast. 100+ yards, and another ton (70+) on PIs. I still don't like Xs as #1 WRs, but he's proven he can step up and make the big plays as deep X or in the seam. Great to see Wentz is willing to trust him to go get the damn ball.
  4. Taylor is a beast too. Another 100+ yard game on the ground and a 5.9 AVG..... Great comeback after coughing up the ball early. 1st RB to get 100+ vs SF in 20+ games.... 
  5. Mo.... another game, another TD and clutch play.... MORE MO please.
  6. Leonard .... another game, another punched peanut lol... Needed him big time, and he delivered in a pivotal point in the game.
  7. AQM and Lewis had good lunch box games. Defo didn't show much, which is surprising to me tonight. Thought he'd beast out. 
  8. Fisher is still bad.... Got pushed back big time, and boat raced at times. 
  9. Nice to see Dulin get some catches and nice to see Coutee get a catch (and PI). 
  10. Hines is struggling in just about every facet of the game. Need him to get his head right by next week.
  11. Bonus - we were very lucky the weather allowed us to play 2x SSs tonight.... Our D was trash at times, and luckily we did enough, and SF was bad enough, to pull that one out. 

Bring on the Titans

Give Fisher a break he going against one the best pass rushers in the league. Did Bosa get a sack I don't think so it's not even a conversation after tonight. 

Archived