Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at 49ers Post Game Thoughts (give us your 5-10 key takeaways)

EastStreet

- Its obvious that Wentz is getting better and feeling more comfortable every week. Missing TC his first year here sucked, but it looks like he is a fast learner.

- Pittman is fantastic. Hopefully TY can join him next week. I like the other WRs, but next year another playmaking WR/TE to pair with Pittman will be key.

- Leonard is just damn good. He's hurt, not nearly as explosive due to his ankles, but his hurt level is still elite. What a good draft pick.

- Mathis had a good tweet in that pass rushers suffer highly in these games due to not getting good traction. Regardless, Bosa is an exception to those kinds of rules so he still had his moments for sure. Paye and Lewis still had pretty damn good days setting the edge from our side.

- Hopefully Rock is back for the Titans. We will need him I think. Our DB core keeps on getting more hurt and more hurt. That is the part of our team that I'm worried about the most that can be exploited.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, colts89 said:

- Its obvious that Wentz is getting better and feeling more comfortable every week. Missing TC his first year here sucked, but it looks like he is a fast learner.

- Pittman is fantastic. Hopefully TY can join him next week. I like the other WRs, but next year another playmaking WR/TE to pair with Pittman will be key.

- Leonard is just damn good. He's hurt, not nearly as explosive due to his ankles, but his hurt level is still elite. What a good draft pick.

- Mathis had a good tweet in that pass rushers suffer highly in these games due to not getting good traction. Regardless, Bosa is an exception to those kinds of rules so he still had his moments for sure. Paye and Lewis still had pretty damn good days setting the edge from our side.

- Hopefully Rock is back for the Titans. We will need him I think. Our DB core keeps on getting more hurt and more hurt. That is the part of our team that I'm worried about the most that can be exploited.

Not having Blackmon is going to kill us against Henry.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Who? 

THey already are against the idea of having Nelson, and even less so now I bet with the Ankle Injury. And then Pryor, can he even play LT? and Smith again it is hard to flip sides on OL. 

They've been discussed ad nauseam so I won't derail the thread by listing all of them, but there are reshuffles that could take place and 3 guys that could arguably take over the spot. Nobody is saying any of those guys would be a perfect LT, only that it might mean getting the 5 best OLs on the field. 

7 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would have liked to see Strachan catching that high ball to Dulin. He must not be able to learn a playbook or something...

Strachan didn’t play last year at all due to Covid.    When he did play, he was facing very low level competition.  

So his jump to the NFL is much bigger than most rookie receivers.   There’s nothing wrong with him that time and experience won’t fix.   He’s still a very promising young talent.   Your patience should be rewarded. 

12 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

- Michael Pittman is quickly becoming a legit number 1. I love the attitude he plays with. He is like the Quenton Nelson of WRs. He plays to the whistle every down, no matter what the situation is. I might invest in a jersey 

-Jonathan Taylor shouldnt leave the field so much. Hes our best offensive player and I dont know of another team that pulls thier best offensive player out as much as we do. 

-It would be nice to get completely healthy in the defensive backfield for next week, but I doubt we will be that lucky. It would also be nice to find an adequate stop gap to fill in for Julian the rest of the year. I suspect Odum could be trouble against certain teams in good weather conditions unless we suddenly develop a pass rush. Maybe thats the answer, trade for a pass rusher instead of a safety? And maybe Carrie can play there when he gets back?

- It would be nice to get more pressure on the QB. Heres to hoping Dayo is the next Michael Strahan.

-I still dont like Frank Reich as a coach. Bizarre play calling, odd game management, questionable decision making, etc.

-Carson Wentz had a shaky stretch in this game. But he also made some really nice plays. That scramble for a 1st down in the 4th was a big play. And he had a couple beauties to Pitt. For all the criticism hes been getting, I have to give Ballard a lot of credit for making this move. He looks like he was worth the gamble, so far.

-Also I feel like Reich has some kind of obsession with Ashton Dulin. Maybe hes a good kid and works really hard. But could we please leave those WR screen plays to him on paper from here on out? They never go anywhere.

-Is it just me or does Okereke look like a different player the last 2 weeks? 14 tackles last week, and I thought he played very well tonight. Hopefully he keeps it up.

- After that 0-3 start, we have actually played really well, outside of a single quarter in Baltimore. And if we dont start 0-3, that loss doesnt sting nearly as much. I feel like we still have a chance. We need to get healthy on defense. Getting TY back will be big. Getting healthy on defense would be great. Improving our pass rush as the year goes would be nice.

-We are gonna have to continue to improve and put together some outstanding performances against some of these top tier teams remaining on the schedule. Call me an optimist, homer, or even delusional, but I think we can do it. 

I thought Dulin had some good plays. I think he's used incorrectly a bit, but he's doing well as a sub when given the opportunity. I don't really care for the screens either, and would like to see him on some slants.

Oke got abused several times tonight. He had a few decent plays, but he was totally swallowed up several times and couldn't shed at all. Pretty sure he missed at least one T again tonight. He really didn't have to worry a lot about coverage tonight, and the QBs haven't picked on him like several others have this year.

Agreed on Frank. I just can't figure him out lol, and not in a good way... 

16 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

I do hope TY comes back soon. It didn’t bother me so much when he was out and we had Campbell because he had the speed but with Dulin being the #3 makes me nervous. He’s basically a decoy although he’s getting better.

dulin struggled tonight  , as steve smith says he was just running to the spot not running routes .   keke looks better and should be ahead of dulin once him and wentz get on the same page .  patmon coming back will help also

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Speaking of fans seeing a lot of 49ers and Eagles fans wishing they had Frank and talking about how bad Frank out coached Shannon.  I get this is a Colts site and as fans we will always be super critical of the head coach but maybe we should realize that while he’s not perfect he is pretty good and there is a reason he is thought of as a good coach around the league.  

Thank You!!    :thmup:

And thank you!!       :colts:

5 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

People clamoring for Pryor at LT missed the fact that Eric Fisher played well tonight against a great DE. 

I dont think Pryor couldve done as well as Fish against Bosa tonight.

More like serviceable but I won't be to harsh he played against one of the best. 

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

No i like him in the run game. Weve run well since hes been in there. Weve stayed running off the left side mostly even when Quenton was out. I think hes better than u give credit. I will allow your criticism in the passing game for now. We all know hes still not back.

I've watched closely. He's had a ton of TE and RB help on C gap runs. Pinter has even checked in a few times. And our left side B gap AVG is the worst it's been in years.

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

I know Braden is better than Pryor, but Pryor has helped me forget Bradens absence.

Exactly what you want out of a back up.  Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if the Colts try to keep Reed and Pryor to go along with Pinter this off-season.  All three are quality depth and in Reed’s case could very well be the starting right guard next year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

People clamoring for Pryor at LT missed the fact that Eric Fisher played well tonight against a great DE. 

I dont think Pryor couldve done as well as Fish against Bosa tonight.

I want to say first I don’t think the Colts are going to take Fisher out.  However, just for the sake of argument let’s say they did.  I don’t think Pryor goes to LT.  I think Smith would with Pryor staying at RT but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly what you want out of a back up.  Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if the Colts try to keep Reed and Pryor to go along with Pinter this off-season.  All three are quality depth and in Reed’s case could very well be the starting right guard next year.

What worries me with Pryor is he has played do well will someone offer him better money to start.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I want to say first I don’t think the Colts are going to take Fisher out.  However, just for the sake of argument let’s say they did.  I don’t think Pryor goes to LT.  I think Smith would with Pryor staying at RT but I could be wrong.

It would be nice to see because it could save some money next season. Maybe we could move smith.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

If colts can beat Titans and be 6-4 after ten games that puts them in a good spot to at least be in the wildcard hunt too,

The Colts schedule is coming to them a bit.  They have to take advantage of it.  One common theme this year has been as soon as someone is declared the “it” team in the AFC they lose.  Hopefully that trend continues next week with the Titans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What worries me with Pryor is he has played do well will someone offer him better money to start.

They could but he wasn’t exactly a stud in Philly.  Teams will have that tape as well and that might scare a team off thinking he’s a product of the Indy system.  

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If colts can beat Titans and be 6-4 after ten games that puts them in a good spot to at least be in the wildcard hunt too,

I think we can beat Tenn but i have to say im concerned with our secondary. We are just beat up. Tenn will have Brown and Julio healthy this time. Game plan needs to be on point.

Just now, JediXMan said:

Pittman already passed his 2020 stats and there's still 10 games to go.

Jay Z Clapping GIF

Easily on his way to 1000+

on pace for 1200+ with a 73 AVG which is close to top 20ish.

and maybe we'll see more 50/50s in the future given the success tonight in both catches and PIs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we can beat Tenn but i have to say im concerned with our secondary. We are just beat up. Tenn will have Brown and Julio healthy this time. Game plan needs to be on point.

Yesh we are going to have to score a lot of points. Neither of those guys played when we played them last. Brown  and Julio only had a couple snaps. 

— That little shoulder fake by Wentz before he threw the TD pass to Pittman was masterful. The D bit just enough. 

— Obviously Indy felt the 49ers were susceptible to the screen but they weren’t so Reich has to move off of it instead of continuing to call it. 

— Hines is massively overpaid or the Colts forgot how to use him but something is off. 

— I’ll second what someone said earlier: We’ve handled the teams we should handle. Time to beat a quality opponent. 

— I don’t get going for 2. That missing point could have been a factor. 

— It’s not just Pittman’s playmaking. For once, he didn’t get a penalty called on him and he had a couple nice blocks/picks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Lol. Pittman digging on rivers a little.

I don’t think it’s a dig on Rivers it’s praise for Wentz.  Everyone knew going in long balls wasn’t Rivers strong suit last year.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Somrome said Pittman wasn’t a alpha WR.

I am drooling thinking of playaction with Taylor and Pittman and Hilton out there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

— That little shoulder fake by Wentz before he threw the TD pass to Pittman was masterful. The D bit just enough. 

— Obviously Indy felt the 49ers were susceptible to the screen but they weren’t so Reich has to move off of it instead of continuing to call it. 

— Hines is massively overpaid or the Colts forgot how to use him but something is off. 

— I’ll second what someone said earlier: We’ve handled the teams we should handle. Time to beat a quality opponent. 

— It’s not just Pittman’s playmaking. For once, he didn’t get a penalty called on him and he had a couple nice blocks/picks. 

I was worried with Hines and Wentz. We all knew he would have a great year with Rivers. Hopefully Wentz can get things going with Hines.

33 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I thought Dulin had some good plays. I think he's used incorrectly a bit, but he's doing well as a sub when given the opportunity. I don't really care for the screens either, and would like to see him on some slants.

Oke got abused several times tonight. He had a few decent plays, but he was totally swallowed up several times and couldn't shed at all. Pretty sure he missed at least one T again tonight. He really didn't have to worry a lot about coverage tonight, and the QBs haven't picked on him like several others have this year.

Agreed on Frank. I just can't figure him out lol, and not in a good way... 

I just disagree on Dulin. Id rather have Coutee in there personally. I also feel like Frank could use Hines instead of him at times as well. Its not so much that I dont like him as I just would rather see other guys in there.

And yeah Oke had some misses too. But Ive just noticed him playing with more decisiveness the last two weeks. Some negative plays will happen, but I can live with those if a guy can also get gets his own licks in once in awhile. I feel like he has done that the last two weeks and thats a major improvement. He looks a lot better to me. I can live with this kind of play. 

Frank is another story, an enigma if you will, a mystery wrapped in a riddle lol

I wish he would just make the easy decision sometimes. Take the points Frank. Gamble when the payoff is worth it. Hes like a dude going all in at a Blackjack table with 17 cause he read somewhere the odds of winning with a 17 were around 58% lol 

I want to see more of Hines and Taylor on the field together.... Give Hines a few jet sweeps off a fake to Taylor.....give Taylor a few carries off that same action, every game. Make teams defend both guys on certain plays. Then throw Hines a wheel route off it once in awhile. We dont attack the middle of the field enough and this could be a way to open it up a little.

Hines was horrible tonight,  but I think thats because he is the type of player that presses when he isnt being productive. He needs to be engaged at all times. And hes been criminally underutilized at times.. So when he gets a chance to make a big play he is prone to a lapse in focus, like his big drop tonight. He was thinking about taking that to the house and took his eye off the ball. He was also hesitant tonight running the ball, because he wants to hit a big play.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Somrome said Pittman wasn’t a alpha WR.

these are some "creative" records lol...

single season career high (he's only in year 2 lol)... 

most in 7 games since 4 years ago (and TY been out a lot)

He's having a great year, but Conti is reaching here.. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I was worried with Hines and Wentz. We all knew he would have a great year with Rivers. Hopefully Wentz can get things going with Hines.

Honestly trying to work Mack into the game plan has hurt Hines.  He’s the one that’s lost snaps for it.  That and Taylor has just been so good it’s hard to take him out.  I will say Wentz had him for six tonight and he dropped it so hopefully that’s a sign of things to come, just with him catching it obviously.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We won tonight. 

Feel free to take one whole night off from worrying.    Really.   It’s now a worry free night. 

You can go back to worrying about everything tomorrow.    

Enjoy!    Be happy!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Pitt was great tonight.

He had 2 big PI's in the redzone.

He set the "pick" perfectly on Mo's TD.

He also had a catch wiped out by a hold. And also averaged 20+ a catch with a long TD score. 

The dude is just a really good football player.