Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at 49ers Post Game Thoughts (give us your 5-10 key takeaways)

EastStreet

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich has been great these 4 games.

Better, yes. Not great.

I get the feeling that the players fall easily into panic mode (trying to give 110%). This is the result of a lack of confidence - like when they fall behind early - which is counter-productive. I think Frank is partially responsible for that.

15 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I have no problems with our players and on field talent level. There is room for improvement in execution, however. I still have head-scratchers about the play calling, but it has improved.  I would cut out running Hines up the middle from the playbook. It's a waste of time and talent.

He will never be a North and South between the tackles guy...I think Frank was hoping we could be more versatile with Hines but it wasn't happening. I hope JT isn't sitting out because Carsons getting his carries. Those fakes are beautiful and can really open up our offense when Wentz is full speed...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

He will never be a North and South between the tackles guy...I think Frank was hoping we could be more versatile with Hines but it wasn't happening. I hope JT isn't sitting out because Carsons getting his carries. Those fakes are beautiful and can really open up our offense when Wentz is full speed...

This is where I disagree with Frank, when he says that our RBs are interchangeable.

Before he was the backup to JT, Hines was the backup to between the tackles runner Mack.  Hines has always had that role, and has always sucked at it.  It was one of the reasons I was questioning a while ago if he would even be needed on the roster.

A backup to a JT or a Mack, he is not.

I get it that he needs to take some handoffs to keep the defense honest when he's on the field, but his handoff percentages seems to be as a result of the primary backup role and not as a counter to being a APB.  

Where is Wilkins?

If Frank doesn't want Wilkins to see the field unless for St and emergencies, then we need to find a real backup, versatile, RB.  JMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This is where I disagree with Frank, when he says that our RBs are interchangeable.

Before he was the backup to JT, Hines was the backup to between the tackles runner Mack.  Hines has always had that role, and has always sucked at it.  It was one of the reasons I was questioning a while ago if he would even be needed on the roster.

A backup to a JT or a Mack, he is not.

I get it that he needs to take some handoffs to keep the defense honest when he's on the field, but his handoff percentages seems to be as a result of the primary backup role and not as a counter to being a APB.  

Where is Wilkins?

If Frank doesn't want Wilkins to see the field unless for St and emergencies, then we need to find a real backup, versatile, RB.  JMO.

Hines is a playmaker. Yes he is needed. He just has to be used in the right way.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Hines is a playmaker. Yes he is needed. He just has to be used in the right way.

I know, but he hasn't been used the right way enough in 4 years.  He's been used the wrong way too often.

If he's not going to be used the right way enough, why pay him?

• Like 2

I have been critical of Reich in the past as well, but I don't really get the recent criticism. It's weird to say that Wentz is playing great, but Reich is coaching bad. Or that the run game is succeeding despite Reich.

It's not like Wentz is firing up prayers into double or triple coverage...there are WRs open quite often downfield. And outside of Hines up the gut, it's not like run plays are getting stuffed all the time. A big part of that is playcalling. 

The coaching staff must be doing something right, no? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I have been critical of Reich in the past as well, but I don't really get the recent criticism. It's weird to say that Wentz is playing great, but Reich is coaching bad. Or that the run game is succeeding despite Reich.

It's not like Wentz is firing up prayers into double or triple coverage...there are WRs open quite often downfield. And outside of Hines up the gut, it's not like run plays are getting stuffed all the time. A big part of that is playcalling. 

The coaching staff must be doing something right, no? 

Everyone forgets there was a lot of things that happened this offseason. Carson comes in so he has a new team to learn. Then he gets hurt and misses camp. Also add on top of that a new OC this season.

32 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The main criticism of Reich that I have been reading is mainly about play calling and time management.  Some have staked out that opinion early, and bombard the forum with comments and anecdotal observations supporting said comments.

That need for validation through constant repetition then creates an expanded atmosphere that blames Frank for everything that goes wrong, or giving him little credit when things go right.....or like Frank finally gets it. 

Its an annoying domineering theme to the forum and why the forum itself has gotten less interesting over recent weeks.

If I want to hear nonstop sermons and passages about why Frank is the fault of our team's in-game failures, I know to come here.

Same thing with Flus.

I thought the Colts had as bad start to the game (defense and offense) as they could. The only positive at the beginning was the missed extra point by SF.

The defense came through and made some big plays. I don't want to go overboard with excitement given they were playing SF and the weather was in their favor but they still deserve credit. (obviously DL comes through with big plays consistently and again last night) I also think it shows how big it is to be playing with a lead and how much it helps your defense.

Speaking of the lead, I thought one of the big positives offensively was consistently scoring. The Colts scored every quarter with 4 of the 5 scores being TDs. They had some downs but to keep scoring was one of the big positives, imo.

Going into the game I was concerned about getting some bigger plays in the passing game not only because of the weather but without TY and Campbell. They were still able to come away with some so that was great to see. 

2 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I thought the Colts had as bad start to the game (defense and offense) as they could. The only positive at the beginning was the missed extra point by SF.

The defense came through and made some big plays. I don't want to go overboard with excitement given they were playing SF and the weather was in their favor but they still deserve credit. I also think it shows how big it is to be playing with a lead and how much it helps your defense.

Speaking of the lead, I thought one of the big positives offensively was consistently scoring. The Colts scored every quarter with 4 of the 5 scores being TDs. They had some downs but to keep scoring was one of the big positives, imo.

Going into the game I was concerned about getting some bigger plays in the passing game not only because of the weather but without TY and Campbell. They were still able to come away with some so that was great to see. 

For sure. Probably doesn't get much better than Jimmy G in a monsoon. Didn't even look like he could throw it more than 10 yards downfield in that rain. Was glad they missed Lance, especially under those circumstances. 

18 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

For those calling for Bagley, he is not very accruate. He has been cut multiple times. Be careful what you wish for. 

Maybe we can just keep him for clutch kicks.  Rodrigo is a good dude, but I don't trust him in the clutch.  

13 hours ago, Les Poulains said:

No huge thoughts on the game, was a decent performance on both sides of the ball.

Overall the season thus far boils down to this; we've beaten Jacoby, Davis Mills and Jimmy G and we've lost to the 4 good QB's we've faced. Basically, par for the course. Got it done here and we're beating who we're supposed to beat. Now let's beat someone good at some point. Titans next week.

To be honest, we had Lamar Jackson beat and had we made just 1 of the 3 or 4 missed kicks, we win that game in regulation - Rigo was hurt, bad luck, and defense got gassed in the end.

Jimmy Garoppolo is not a horrible QB either, he may be reasonably young but he his an experienced veteran who has led his team to a Superbowl, even if he lost said SB to the usually dynamic Patrick Mahomes.

Even the game against Stafford & the Rams was winnable, and had Wentz not been hurt late we probably take that one too, against a pretty good QB.

I've been liking the way Frank has been calling the games lately. For a game in which running the ball and short passing game would have absolutely been justified, we took a ton of shots, had multiple big pass plays and 120 yards of pass interference penalties. This made a huge difference in this game. Loved the offensive performance. 

The defense got tons of turnoevers again... but... again... I can't shake the feeling that I just don't trust them. We depend so much on turning the ball over. Good news is - we are doing it almost every week... bad news is - when we don't we have hard time stopping the opponent and even in this game there were 2-3 series where we looked completely out of sorts. I think even Darius Leonard admitted they had serious trouble with SF's misdirection run game in the beginning and was glad that they abandoned it for some reason. 

Wentz had one of his wildest games as a Colt so far. He had something like... 5 passes that could/should have been picked... but he also made some timely plays both with his arm and with his legs. In this weather, I can't really hold some of those bad plays against him, hopefully it was all/mostly due to the conditions. 

Either way - good game in bad conditions, job done. Not much more we could ask for. 

• Like 3

Love the mobility of Carson, this was completely lacking in Game 1 vs. Titans! That will make a difference

Hoping we get Rock, Turay and Dayo back this week

D Buck and D Leonard played great

Great to see Q back! Regardless of the holding calls

Hines will have a wake up game this week, we need him terribly 

Coverage teams gave up more than normal last night 

Jack has disappeared in the passing game.

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Love the mobility of Carson, this was completely lacking in Game 1 vs. Titans! That will make a difference

Hoping we get Rock, Turay and Dayo back this week

D Buck and D Leonard played great

Great to see Q back! Regardless of the holding calls

Hines will have a wake up game this week, we need him terribly 

Coverage teams gave up more than normal last night 

Jack has disappeared in the passing game.

Dayo can’t play until the Jets game.

The Colts are using Doyle mostly to block and giving his passing plays to Mo which is working.  

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

For those calling for Bagley, he is not very accruate. He has been cut multiple times. Be careful what you wish for. 

In reality, Badgley has only been cut 3 times (Colts, Chargers & Titans) and 2 of them were this year, the final preseason & after Week 1 when the regular kicker returned from injury which isn't really bad for an UDFA - placekickers often bounce around a little before they hit their stride but one critique I can offer (having watched him kick several years for the Bolts) is what we all saw last week and last night: he can't seem to get the ball into the end zone on a kickoff to save his life but to be honest, Blankenship has that problem too.

I have no real complaints after the last two weeks. I’ve seen what I’ve suspected we were capable of. Frank hasn’t left me ready to throw my remote through my TV once. He’s even playing Hines and Taylor at the same time now. That’s gonna pay off if we really start doing it right. 

Hines had the big drop last night. It happens. Is anyone less willing to throw him the ball again as a result? Shouldn’t be. 9 times out of 10 he makes that catch and the big play that would have went with it. 

I wish they would treat Hines as a different back. Quit just throwing him in there and calling the same plays you would call for Taylor in there, but hey, it’s not the end of the world and things are headed in a positive direction. 

I’ve felt this team was capable of this since the Wentz trade. I’m glad we’re finally seeing it, and I feel like it’s a reasonable expectation to see these things from this team on a weekly basis. 

1.  Nelson was really good.

2.  Taylor saw the cutback lanes well.  I thought wet games would play to his strength.  

3.  Best game I’ve seen for Pittman.

4.  Wentz is a competitor but threw at least 4 pick worthy balls. Rain induced.  Good game.

5.  Mitchell looked really good for them.

6.  We were fortunate they kept tackling is before the ball got there in the passing game.

7.  Passing game was again the key.  Only 160 yds but another what 75 to 100 in PI.

8.  Their turf is fixed.  Held up incredibly well.

9.  You always play 2 high zone in those conditions and soft, so it was to our defensive advantage to have that weather.

10.  I don’t expect a good result v. TENN And hope I am surprised.

• Like 1

Late to the party but these late games and thursday/monday night games don’t really harmonize with my timezone. :D

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1. Wentz had rough start and threw a couple of passes that easily could have been picks. Finished strong. Him and Reich really get each other and it’s showing. 
2. Taylor is a beast. Rough start for him too, but got it together and had a great game again. 
3. Pittman is really stepping up working hard to claim that #1 spot. Great game by him. 
4. Hines has had a couple of pretty poor games now. Hope he turns it around. Him and Taylor could be a really good combo. 
5. Mo and Doyle had good games. Mo with the TD and Doyle had some good blocks for Taylor. 
6. The oline is still struggling a bit , especially Fisher. Wentz didn’t have it easy early this game. 
7. Love that Reich has started to open the playbook these last couple of games. It’s done wonders for the offense. 
8. It seems the only thing making this defense not terrible is the turnovers. I think we benefited of the bad weather - Deebo Samuel was doing as he pleased and without the rain this could have been a terrible game to watch. 

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah they have sellers remorse on Wentz and really want Frank back.  I think they would gladly give the Colts the Colts first round pick back and then some for Wentz and Frank but Ballard called no backsies on the trade.

Yeah they would probably give us 2 1st rounders in a heart beat if they could get Wentz back

My takeaway from this game is:

1. Misdirection works, even in the NFL. I've been clamoring on this forum (obviously it doesn't make a difference) that we utilize Wentz' mobility via bootlegs, roll outs, and sprints. We barely use either of these. It's frustrating to see SF us it against us so effectively.

2. JT is a beast. Defenses know when we are going to run the ball, and he still produces. Imagine if we used more misdirection, like SF did last night.

3. Pittman is our #1 receiver. He's going to have a great highlight reel by the end of the season. It's already loaded with some amazing Moss-like catches.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

To be honest, we had Lamar Jackson beat and had we made just 1 of the 3 or 4 missed kicks, we win that game in regulation - Rigo was hurt, bad luck, and defense got gassed in the end.

Jimmy Garoppolo is not a horrible QB either, he may be reasonably young but he his an experienced veteran who has led his team to a Superbowl, even if he lost said SB to the usually dynamic Patrick Mahomes.

Even the game against Stafford & the Rams was winnable, and had Wentz not been hurt late we probably take that one too, against a pretty good QB.

Yes, but we didn't close the deal and that's the trend of the past couple seasons; we very, very rarely beat the better teams in the league. Jimmy G is a game manager that is getting worse, he's not a good NFL QB. Horrible, maybe not. Good enough? Nah. When you're facing Jimmy G, you're not scared, you think you can beat him, The 9ers were certainly scary when they had a great roster, but that's less so the case now and he doesn't elevate them, 

We're in "prove it" mode now. We have a couple wins against bad teams, now let's do it against someone good and if we do, we can maybe look forward to a wild card game in the future. 

42 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Headline -  "Soft dome team takes on outdoor team during October monsoon - sails away with win."

That game gave me so many flashbacks to the 2007 Super Bowl in Miami.  Similar weather.  Fell down early.  Similar final score.  Had he not stepped out of bounds, Rhodes' INT was eerily similar to Hayden's.

• Like 1