Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at 49ers Post Game Thoughts (give us your 5-10 key takeaways)

EastStreet

19 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Yes, but we didn't close the deal and that's the trend of the past couple seasons; we very, very rarely beat the better teams in the league. Jimmy G is a game manager that is getting worse, he's not a good NFL QB. Horrible, maybe not. Good enough? Nah. When you're facing Jimmy G, you're not scared, you think you can beat him, The 9ers were certainly scary when they had a great roster, but that's less so the case now and he doesn't elevate them, 

We're in "prove it" mode now. We have a couple wins against bad teams, now let's do it against someone good and if we do, we can maybe look forward to a wild card game in the future. 

Garoppolo may not frighten you the way a Brady, Mahomes, Jackson or Allen would but he's more than serviceable, (although his team did feel the need to draft Trey Lance high in the 1st round) and he looked pretty good the 1st couple of drives when they marched right up & down the field, quickly going up by 2 scores - his main problem seems to be his coach outsmarting himself  because had they kept doing those misdirection runs and done play action passing off of them, we probably would've had a pretty long night.

When it comes to coaching & playcalling though, Frank Reich has been pretty good at it lately, finding out what works and sticking with it, with a few little twists thrown in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Last night when Wentz did his post game with nbc he gave credits to all his receivers. That is a leader. He didn’t take credit at all. He gave all his team mates credit.

I loved his post game interview. I told my brother "that's a real leader right there. This is our guy." The chemistry on this team is just going to get stronger and stronger!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bsteves said:

I loved his post game interview. I told my brother "that's a real leader right there. This is our guy." The chemistry on this team is just going to get stronger and stronger!

If anyone can find a link to the nbc interview after can you post it? It was with Michelle Tafoya I shut it off as soon as it ended and missed it.

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've been liking the way Frank has been calling the games lately. For a game in which running the ball and short passing game would have absolutely been justified, we took a ton of shots, had multiple big pass plays and 120 yards of pass interference penalties. This made a huge difference in this game. Loved the offensive performance. 

The defense got tons of turnoevers again... but... again... I can't shake the feeling that I just don't trust them. We depend so much on turning the ball over. Good news is - we are doing it almost every week... bad news is - when we don't we have hard time stopping the opponent and even in this game there were 2-3 series where we looked completely out of sorts. I think even Darius Leonard admitted they had serious trouble with SF's misdirection run game in the beginning and was glad that they abandoned it for some reason. 

Wentz had one of his wildest games as a Colt so far. He had something like... 5 passes that could/should have been picked... but he also made some timely plays both with his arm and with his legs. In this weather, I can't really hold some of those bad plays against him, hopefully it was all/mostly due to the conditions. 

Either way - good game in bad conditions, job done. Not much more we could ask for. 

It was bizarre how they abandoned the misdirection. The one time they started moving Jimmy G around, he marched down in 3 plays. And then the next drive, they went right back to the same anemic offense they had been running most of the game (with Jimmy G just forcing targets to Deebo). Something's really off about that SF offense...glad to catch them when we did.

As for the defense, the Colts have been pretty fortunate with TOs on defense this year. They are #3 (tied) in the NFL with (8) forced fumbles, but more importantly, they are #1 with (9) fumble recoveries. They have recovered every fumble forced, including one they didn't. Hope that continues, but we will see.

Also, they are also #27 in passer rating allowed and they are #32 in pressure rate. Yet they are actually tied for 5th in INTs with 7. Outside of the Rhodes INT, they were pretty all much unforced errors. That could continue, but without a pass rush, it's hard to count on them forcing a top 10 INT rate.

The result of their TOs (and lack of TOs on offense) is a terrific +9 TO differential, which is #2 in the NFL (behind BUF). But the 4 teams in the top 5 are a combined 22-4 and the Colts are 3-4. 

So there is definitely more to it than just getting TOs. And even with the TOs, the Colts are still a middle of the pack defense, who had a very favorable schedule recently. The TEN game will be a real test.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It was bizarre how they abandoned the misdirection. The one time they started moving Jimmy G around, he marched down in 3 plays. And then the next drive, they went right back to the same anemic offense they had been running most of the game (with Jimmy G just forcing targets to Deebo). Something's really off about that SF offense...glad to catch them when we did.

As for the defense, the Colts have been pretty fortunate with TOs on defense this year. They are #3 (tied) in the NFL with (8) forced fumbles, but more importantly, they are #1 with (9) fumble recoveries. They have recovered every fumble forced, including one they didn't. Hope that continues, but we will see.

Also, they are also #27 in passer rating allowed and they are #32 in pressure rate. Yet they are actually tied for 5th in INTs with 7. Outside of the Rhodes INT, they were pretty all much unforced errors. That could continue, but without a pass rush, it's hard to count on them forcing a top 10 INT rate.

The result of their TOs (and lack of TOs on offense) is a terrific +9 TO differential, which is #2 in the NFL (behind BUF). But the 4 teams in the top 5 are a combined 22-4 and the Colts are 3-4. 

So there is definitely more to it than just getting TOs. And even with the TOs, the Colts are still a middle of the pack defense, who had a very favorable schedule recently. The TEN game will be a real test.

That misdirection and all the bootlegs will be back in full force this weekend vs Tenn. I hope we dont act brand new.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, #12. said:

Maybe we can just keep him for clutch kicks.  Rodrigo is a good dude, but I don't trust him in the clutch.  

All kicks are clutch kicks, Aside for the injury that has him or IR, The only kick he missed that hurt was the buffalo game.  He was rated at somewhere as the 5th or 6th best kicker in the league last year. 

In 2021 prior to being hurt he was 11/12 this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

This might be unpopular opinion but I think it's to move on from Doyle after this season. His production doesn't match the extension he has signed. Colts could find his replacement either in the draft or FA. 

If it could save us 6 of 7 million it might be the right thing to do. Maybe he retires on his own. He won’t go play anywhere else. If he got cut he would just retire. I don’t know what his cap hit is next season.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Say what you want about Fisher and pass blocking but he's been beasting in run blocking. Teaming up with Q again is a big plus too.

He had the 4th highest PFF grade on the team last night.  His best grade as a Colt since he started playing for us.  Hopefully it’s a sign that he is starting to achieve his pre injury form.  He really has been a beast in run blocking.

• Like 3

It was great to see Reich & Company deploy the Hoody-Brady tactic of throwing high passes to bring the receiver back to the ball resulting in the defender to commit PI last night. It worked so many time for the Pats you could seen it coming when they needed the to score with little time left and all the defenders fell for it.  It is close to a guaranteed play. Wentz looks better every week as he gets healthier.:strong: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It was great to see Reich & Company deploy the Hoody-Brady tactic of throwing high passes to bring the receiver back to the ball resulting in the defender to commit PI last night. It worked so many time for the Pats you could seen it coming when they needed the to score with little time left and all the defenders fell for it.  It is close to a guaranteed play. Wentz looks better every week as he gets healthier.:strong: 

Stephen Holder was talking about this on his podcast. He was like those balls were under thrown on purpose. They knew SF leads the league in penalties. 

Eaat I'm jumping into the tail end of this and haven' t time now to read all but I think you are a little hard on Fisher. thought last night was his best night. Not perfect but acceptable. God knows he's better than anyone else we have and he is coming back from a surgery few come back at all and earlier than most thought. I feel he is improving weekly.

Colts going to be facing Flacco on two weeks?

14 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Eaat I'm jumping into the tail end of this and haven' t time now to read all but I think you are a little hard on Fisher. thought last night was his best night. Not perfect but acceptable. God knows he's better than anyone else we have and he is coming back from a surgery few come back at all and earlier than most thought. I feel he is improving weekly.

We are so spoiled with how good AC was.

I taught Bobby's grade passed the eye test too. I watched the game back and the hit he put on Hasty on the 3rd and 2 when we were 12-7 down was huge. It's good to see hm play with the level of physicality in our run defense. Hopefully he can build off this performance. Obviously we will need a * game next week versus Henry.

Just on run defense, Kwity Paye is such an brilliant run defender. He holds the end so well, but I also counted on mulitple occasions him running down the RB from the backside. I love him, there is no ceiling on how good he can be once he fully taps into his pass rush potential. Because he is already a great run defender.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JediXMan said:

This might be unpopular opinion but I think it's to move on from Doyle after this season. His production doesn't match the extension he has signed. Colts could find his replacement either in the draft or FA. Colts also save 5 mil  if they cut him.

Watch that last TD of Taylor's and tell me you want Doyle cut. I hope he comes back at a discount but at least another 3 to 4 years. He's good receiver too. Doesn't get seperation like he once did but is good vs the zone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Watch that last TD of Taylor's and tell me you want Doyle cut. I hope he comes back at a discount but at least another 3 to 4 years. He's good receiver too. Doesn't get seperation like he once did but is good vs the zone.

I doubt they will cut Doyle. Next season is his last and he will probably retire. 

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

He's hasn't been featured much on the pass game but he's just an excellent blocker.

22 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I have no real complaints after the last two weeks. I’ve seen what I’ve suspected we were capable of. Frank hasn’t left me ready to throw my remote through my TV once. He’s even playing Hines and Taylor at the same time now. That’s gonna pay off if we really start doing it right. 

Hines had the big drop last night. It happens. Is anyone less willing to throw him the ball again as a result? Shouldn’t be. 9 times out of 10 he makes that catch and the big play that would have went with it. 

I wish they would treat Hines as a different back. Quit just throwing him in there and calling the same plays you would call for Taylor in there, but hey, it’s not the end of the world and things are headed in a positive direction. 

I’ve felt this team was capable of this since the Wentz trade. I’m glad we’re finally seeing it, and I feel like it’s a reasonable expectation to see these things from this team on a weekly basis. 

You think Hines scores there if he catches it? It looked like there was a safety somewhat close to him but I think he might’ve housed it 

20 hours ago, JediXMan said:

This might be unpopular opinion but I think it's to move on from Doyle after this season. His production doesn't match the extension he has signed. Colts could find his replacement either in the draft or FA. Colts also save 5 mil  if they cut him.

His blocking production is really, really good. He has been huge with the musical chairs on the o-line. He is one strong dude. 

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

You think Hines scores there if he catches it? It looked like there was a safety somewhat close to him but I think he might’ve housed it 

When he gets the ball in his hands in space there’s always a chance. I’ll always be willing to bet that Hines can make a move and get away from a safety in a one-on-one situation.

Hines is a weapon. We just don’t use him like one. 

Remember how dangerous Darren Sproles was in the Saints offense?

Hines could be better. If used correctly. We’re still not seeing a real commitment to using him to his potential yet, but we’ve been seeing it more and more in the last couple weeks. Put Hines in the game wherever we can. The more you play him with Taylor (either in the backfield or split out wide or in the slot) the more pressure you’re putting on the defense to have their ducks in a row before the ball is ever even snapped because they absolutely have to account for both of them because they’re both guys who can make a catch and a house call on any down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

He's hasn't been featured much on the pass game but he's just an excellent blocker.

Remember for 3 years it was just him and TY, who were the only real threats.  Maybe he hasn't fallen off but we got more options now. Seen him open alot and not get targetted.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I taught Bobby's grade passed the eye test too. I watched the game back and the hit he put on Hasty on the 3rd and 2 when we were 12-7 down was huge. It's good to see hm play with the level of physicality in our run defense. Hopefully he can build off this performance. Obviously we will need a * game next week versus Henry.

Just on run defense, Kwity Paye is such an brilliant run defender. He holds the end so well, but I also counted on mulitple occasions him running down the RB from the backside. I love him, there is no ceiling on how good he can be once he fully taps into his pass rush potential. Because he is already a great run defender.

From the second we drafted him, Kwity struck me as more of a run-stopping end. He’ll probably develop into a nice pass rusher but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a 4-6 sack guy who is good against the run. Which would be fantastic. 

21 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He had the 4th highest PFF grade on the team last night.  His best grade as a Colt since he started playing for us.  Hopefully it’s a sign that he is starting to achieve his pre injury form.  He really has been a beast in run blocking.

He did amazing against bosa who is elite . Best game with the colts . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

From the second we drafted him, Kwity struck me as more of a run-stopping end. He’ll probably develop into a nice pass rusher but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a 4-6 sack guy who is good against the run. Which would be fantastic. 

Remember….   At Michigan, Kwity was mostly in a 4-point stance.  Not ideal for pass rushing.   Plus,  I believe he was in a read and react defense.  That naturally slows down any pass rusher.

The Colts have put him in a more natural (for the RDE position) 3-point stance.   And we’ve basically told him to think pass rush first.  That should give Kwity a more natural higher ceiling than 4-6 sacks per year.   I’m not talking his rookie year, I’m talking over his career.   I would think his floor would be 6-8 sacks, but that he’ll be capable of more.   With a possible ceiling of double digits in his best years.