Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That's MY QB

bsteves

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2021 at 4:53 PM, coming on strong said:

its weird people are so hard on wentz in here the guy had zero training camp got hurt like the second practice .  he has been badly injured every single game just had his first week of full practice last week .  what you saw monday night will soon be the norm with wentz here putting up 300 plus yards multiple touchdowns , book it .   if wentz never got hurt and had training camp we would of beat the rams and titans no doubt about it . 

I think it's natural to have reservations about a guy who has been very injury prone and who was one of the worst QB's in the league last year. Not to mention, we've not started the season well at all and he's already gotten hurt a couple times. 

I'd say what we've seen is promising, with a couple caveats. Clearly, you can see the RPO stuff is working well, he's got good zip on the intermediate passes, we're more of a threat to throw it deep, and he's not throwing any interceptions. That's all good.

What is also blatant is why he's hurt all the time; he doesn't feel the rush at all, he's oblivious, he takes hard hits, he extends plays to an unrealistic level and he holds on to it too long. 

Basically in short, he's who we think he is; far better than the trainwreck he was last year, not the joke the majority of the league thinks he is, and someone who is talented enough to build around if you give him the weapons, but there's still a sense his season could end in an instant from taking a ridiculous hit that he would invite on himself. 

3 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I think it's natural to have reservations about a guy who has been very injury prone and who was one of the worst QB's in the league last year. Not to mention, we've not started the season well at all and he's already gotten hurt a couple times. 

I'd say what we've seen is promising, with a couple caveats. Clearly, you can see the RPO stuff is working well, he's got good zip on the intermediate passes, we're more of a threat to throw it deep, and he's not throwing any interceptions. That's all good.

What is also blatant is why he's hurt all the time; he doesn't feel the rush at all, he's oblivious, he takes hard hits, he extends plays to an unrealistic level and he holds on to it too long. 

Basically in short, he's who we think he is; far better than the trainwreck he was last year, not the joke the majority of the league thinks he is, and someone who is talented enough to build around if you give him the weapons, but there's still a sense his season could end in an instant from taking a ridiculous hit that he would invite on himself. 

Luck was also injury prone.

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

And threw alot of pics.

Is this a Carson Wentz love-in, or a retrospective Andrew Luck wasn't that great point? I don't get it. 

Luck wasn't perfect either, but at his best he was better than Wentz. Not that that's relevant, we're in 2021, Carson Wentz is the QB of a 2-4 football team without a 1st round pick and Andrew Luck is probably on a beach somewhere, 

Things Wentz is doing better than I expected: throwing the long ball, avoiding interceptions, the over the receiver’s outside shoulder throw. Things Wentz is doing worse than I expected, being oblivious to the oncoming pass rash, using mobility to move out of collapsed pocket, using the right touch on the quick 5/7 yard slants or the 10-11 yard dig routes. 

26 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

This is a fair take.  He just doesn’t seem to have that internal clock, but when he has time, he’s definitely making all the throws.  I feel pretty confident that we can build around him.  He’s shown true courage and leadership playing through his injuries this far, and that’s someone I can get behind!

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

This is a fair take.  He just doesn’t seem to have that internal clock, but when he has time, he’s definitely making all the throws.  I feel pretty confident that we can build around him.  He’s shown true courage and leadership playing through his injuries this far, and that’s someone I can get behind!

I think he just doesn’t like to give up on a play which is both good and bad but that’s something that can also be improved with coaching.  I think Frank will get him there.  Step one was to cut the turnovers down which Wentz clearly has.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was 9-0 until the Browns ruined it but I didn't bet today, Broncos lost too, I think I only have 2 losses.

I haven't checked my record. I really only care about my plays that I usually really play. If some here can make a little scratch on my plays I'm more than happy to share my opinions. 

Hey, Cowboys just showed that you can never have enough difference makers on offense if you have to win in this league that is set up the way it is.

2019 Mahomes and the Chiefs, 2020 Brady and the Bucs, 2021 - whoever wins it will have a very good offense accompanied with opportunistic defense. That has been the way for a while. Even the 2018 Chiefs went to the wire vs the Patriots in the AFCCG in OT before losing. 2017 Eagles in an offensive shootout, 2016 Patriots vs Falcons in an offensive shootout. The league has changed, folks. 2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos don't come around often unless you hit on defensive draft picks at a very high rate or spend in FA at a very high rate, neither of which I have seen happening with Ballard.

Best to draft more play makers on offense and see what we can do instead of trying to draft more pass rushers like throwing spaghetti on the wall and hoping a few of them stick. Carson is the right QB for it, give him even more help than a less available Parris. 2 guys with college production that we drafted - JT and Pittman are our biggest offensive building blocks, IMO. We need more.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wentz with his 3rd week in a row of top 10 QBRs.... 

2 of the 3 teams were bad teams, but you have to like the progress.

He's looking healthier, more confident, and his timing with WRs is getting pretty darn good.

Cracked over 100 passer rating on the season and  currently ranks 11th. Good stuff overall.

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Cracked over 100 passer rating on the season and  currently ranks 11th. Good stuff overall.

yup. it's looking very good.

I predicted 8th-12th in most stat categories.

And that was before his injuries and the OL debacle.

I'm feeling good about his chances.

5 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Was watching Justin Herbert this morning, he was really struggling out there versus Baltimore's defense. That's one of the MVP front runners. Wentz on the other hand dropped 400 with 2TDs on them. I've been impressed with Wentz these past 3 weeks, really hope he can keep it up!

The sideline throws to beat the Cover 2 alignment against the Ravens and the Texans, those are not easy throws to make with the safety closing in, Wentz has been very good leading his wideouts. Just keep him upright, and hopefully next season, add more weapons, we could be a Top 10 offense consistently, IMO.

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hey, Cowboys just showed that you can never have enough difference makers on offense if you have to win in this league that is set up the way it is.

2019 Mahomes and the Chiefs, 2020 Brady and the Bucs, 2021 - whoever wins it will have a very good offense accompanied with opportunistic defense. That has been the way for a while. Even the 2018 Chiefs went to the wire vs the Patriots in the AFCCG in OT before losing. 2017 Eagles in an offensive shootout, 2016 Patriots vs Falcons in an offensive shootout. The league has changed, folks. 2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos don't come around often unless you hit on defensive draft picks at a very high rate or spend in FA at a very high rate, neither of which I have seen happening with Ballard.

Best to draft more play makers on offense and see what we can do instead of trying to draft more pass rushers like throwing spaghetti on the wall and hoping a few of them stick. Carson is the right QB for it, give him even more help than a less available Parris. 2 guys with college production that we drafted - JT and Pittman are our biggest offensive building blocks, IMO. We need more.

I agree need a jamarr chase or a cee Dee Lamb type player

Archived