Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That's MY QB

bsteves

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Yeah he's a baller. Great trade. Totally worth a first. It's such a shane this season is done. Oh well we can watch development between him and Pittman. Could be a great pair.

How exactly is the season done? Its week 6 in a 17 week season dude

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

How exactly is the season done? Its week 6 in a 17 week season dude

Feel free to be optimistic about our chances. I just am done already. I don't think we make the playoffs and I'm not confident we will be playing meaningful football in Dec. I get it. It's a long season but that game just tore any optimism I had. Now we got to find a kicker, not good news.

Wentz played great last night. 

I like seeing the zip on the passes that need it, and the touch on the other throws. 

If he gets those sailing passes (seems like he has like 3-5 a game?) under control, his numbers will even be better. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Yeah he's a baller. Great trade. Totally worth a first. It's such a shane this season is done. Oh well we can watch development between him and Pittman. Could be a great pair.

Totally worth a first rounder. I see some posts on here saying otherwise and I just sit there in disbelief. It's difficult to find a QB period let alone one in the mid to high teens like I project our draft number will be. Carson is playing lights out esp given the circumstances this season. I don't even want to think about where our hopes would be without him.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Wentz played great last night. 

I like seeing the zip on the passes that need it, and the touch on the other throws. 

If he gets those sailing passes (seems like he has like 3-5 a game?) under control, his numbers will even be better. 

I've noticed this too. I think he gets too antsy at times and we will see less and less as the season goes on.

19 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Maybe he's thinking he's receivers are the same height as he is.  The balls thrown to Taylor, Hines and Dulin seemed a to sail a bit.

He overthrew pascal too, and I thought he was tall.  It happens.  No biggie.  

He can most definitely help us get a Lombardi AS LONG AS HE CAN STAY HEALTHY. The dudes a warrior. He's a very tough player with a winner mentality. He hates to lose. I liked the way he called out Reich lastnight without calling out Reich lol. "We can't let up, we can't let up! We've got to keep a killer instinct! We have to do better finishing games!"

Aka... We should've kept trying to score in the 4th instead of settling for FG attempts.

When given time in the pocket he can ball out! I'm glad to have him reping the Shoe. 

However, with all that said, due to his past injury history it is imperative to keep a solid backup QB on the roster.

• Like 2

He's been distinctly... average so far. We need more Wentz games like the one yesterday for me to be convinced he's the guy. So far he's been OK to good(excluding the game he shouldn't have played IMO). This will not be good enough over the long haul IMO. We need more consistently great Wentz. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Feel free to be optimistic about our chances. I just am done already. I don't think we make the playoffs and I'm not confident we will be playing meaningful football in Dec. I get it. It's a long season but that game just tore any optimism I had. Now we got to find a kicker, not good news.

I think if we go 11 and 6 we make playoffs. Have to win all division games and pull of upset against one of big three. Cards,bills,or bucs

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's been distinctly... average so far. We need more Wentz games like the one yesterday for me to be convinced he's the guy. So far he's been OK to good(excluding the game he shouldn't have played IMO). This will not be good enough over the long haul IMO. We need more consistently great Wentz. 

He had no business playing at Tennessee. That games skews his stats a bit. Overall he’s looked like a top 15 QB. That’s much better than last year where he was at the bottom. He Finally looked healthy and the OL gave him time.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Wilson going after Wentz after five games is really laughable.  I don’t know what he was expecting after five games.  I am disregarding him more and more.  He’s a young wannabe who has a long way to go.  I expect he will eventually flame out and disappear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Did you watch the first few games?

• Like 1

Wentz balled out for sure! I was very impressed with him and glad to see him getting healthy. His throws had some fire on them, it was pretty eye catching in my opinion. I’m glad he’s here as long as we protect him we should be good. Sucks to see the secondary and the missed kicks let the team down because that would have been a big win for him and the team. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Are you taking into account the injuries he played through?? Or the terrible protection in the first couple weeks? What about the extremely questionable playcalling the first couple weeks too? Or what about the fact he is playing with all new receivers. An injured line? 

Numbers do lie. Anyone who takes an introductory stats course will know this. 

No disrespect @stitches - I just think compounding variables always need to be included with stats. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Flashback to 2006 SB winning season. We lose 4 out of our last 7 games to finish 12-4 after starting 9-0 starting with a loss to the Romo led Cowboys. Got ran over for 375 yards, lost on a 60 yarder to Titans and Vince Young with kicker Rob Bironas and the straw that broke the camel's back, almost, was a 24-27 loss slow death to the lowly Texans on the road. Following the heels of a 2005 season playoff loss when we were favored, it pretty much knocked the wind out of our sails for hoping for a playoff run let alone a SB run, if you were sitting at the end of that 2006 season. We know how that season ended up, don't we? :) 

If you have seen enough football, you should know that no matter how badly you lose a game, it is still 0-1 and no matter how convincingly you win a game, it is still 1-0.  Like Magic Johnson said after a loss to the Bulls "whether you lose by 2 or lose by 20, it still counts as only 1 loss".

If we maintain that perspective, it becomes easier to ride the highs and lows. Stay strong!!! If we end up winning the division with the 1-0 approach, so be it. I am sure we still continue with the 1-0 approach and move forward. Moving On to the TEXANS!!

Right on.

I dont understand the panic stricken people that want somebody fired everytime we lose a game, and I never will.

Ive seen so many comments "we will never win a title with this defense"

Fools we already did! A much more vanilla version in fact! 

I couldnt enjoy being a fan with that kind of mindset. It would be a waste of time to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think if we go 11 and 6 we make playoffs. Have to win all division games and pull of upset against one of big three. Cards,bills,or bucs

Were just so snake bit. Every week there's a new reason why we couldn't get it done. Seattle we hadn't had Wentz practice with the team much. LA he's injured for a critical drive. Tennessee he's hobbled.  Yesterday Wentz balls out only to have an injured kicker lose the game.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep. People are extreme these days. Wentz was excellent last night, but overall, average QB play vs. the other QBs in the NFL (which is the only meaningful comparison). 

This is an unprecedented era of offense, if Wentz can play like last night consistently, the Colts have a chance to keep up.

But just look at the other side of the field. A “running QB” who people say can’t pass…tossed 400 and 4 on 37/43 passes. The standard for great QB play is really really high.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. People are extreme these days. Wentz was excellent last night, but overall, average QB play vs. the other QBs in the NFL (which is the only meaningful comparison). 

This is an unprecedented era of offense, if Wentz can play like last night consistently, the Colts have a chance to keep up.

But just look at the other side of the field. A “running QB” who people say can’t pass…tossed 400 and 4 on 37/43 passes. The standard for great QB play is really really high.

Except he missed all of camp so it’s taken him time to figure things out with this offense. He has already proved to me is the right guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

He had 5 practices and no pre season. Then sprains both ankles and still plays. This all with a new team. Some people forget that. He’s beginning to catch his stride and he stays healthy the sky is the limit 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NodakColt said:

He had 5 practices and no pre season. Then sprains both ankles and still plays. This all with a new team. Some people forget that. He’s beginning to catch his stride and he stays healthy the sky is the limit 

Very true.  There will always be nay sayers though.  It's just in their nature. 

2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Were just so snake bit. Every week there's a new reason why we couldn't get it done. Seattle we hadn't had Wentz practice with the team much. LA he's injured for a critical drive. Tennessee he's hobbled.  Yesterday Wentz balls out only to have an injured kicker lose the game.

So much like those Rivers Chargers teams the talent was there just unfortunate and riddled with injuries ugh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I think this is a pretty weak and lazy look (not to mention has zero context) from "Josh Williams" who's every single mention about Wentz is a negative one.

He's been average, but with a completely horrendous OL. His blindside LT (whoever it has been) has graded 40s level, and he's had a different line up every week.

That's comparable to what happened to him last year in Philly. And if you compare him to his stats in Philly, he's improved tremendously. He's also thrown zero turnover worthy balls (at least as of last week).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think this is a pretty weak and lazy look (not to mention has zero context) from "Josh Williams" who's every single mention about Wentz is a negative one.

He's been average, but with a completely horrendous OL. His blindside LT (whoever it has been) has graded 40s level, and he's had a different line up every week.

That's comparable to what happened to him last year in Philly. And if you compare him to his stats in Philly, he's improved tremendously. He's also thrown zero turnover worthy balls (at least as of last week).

Seems these guys who turn into writers with no actual journalism background are pretty bad. I don’t know if this guy does or not but Zach   Hicks does the same thing.  Everytime he mention something good about Wentz the sentence always starts with he wasn’t perfect. Wentz is 70% and he focuses on how two bad throws means his mechanics are screwed up. They have a bias against Wentz and it shows.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What do u think about Reich? 

Last year Rivers came with the baggage of most INT thrown but with Colts he played amazing. Similarly this year Wentz not sure what other has to say on this forum but I think he is the best Colts got in the offseason who is young also, and also has not thrown much INT except that shovel pass to INT. 

So Is Reich great coach for QB? Poor Play caller? 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Seems these guys who turn into writers with no actual journalism background are pretty bad. I don’t know if this guy does or not but Zach   Hicks does the same thing.  Everytime he mention something good about Wentz the sentence always starts with he wasn’t perfect. Wentz is 70% and he focuses on how two bad throws means his mechanics are screwed up. They have a bias against Wentz and it shows.

A journalism degree doesn't really mean anything though lol... Most reporting these days, sport or politics, is mostly trash. 

Hicks is just trying prove his summer articles right lol... He jumped the shark in June/July with a long winded deep dive about Wentz's mechanics last season, but was too lazy to provide any context about the OL and WR units being decimated all year. He'll keep pounding that drum all season and into next.... 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I think showing stats after five weeks that show Wentz in the middle of the pack and calling him “average” is….   I don’t want to say “lazy”, but I’ll say shallow and superficial.  

You need context.   Missed almost all of camp, played behind a decimated line, has gotten better and was very good last night.   His play is ascending.  Given health,  I expect Wentz to continue his good play.   I like our future based on what I’ve seen and what is reasonable to expect.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, coltsfan_canada said:

What do u think about Reich? 

Last year Rivers came with the baggage of most INT thrown but with Colts he played amazing. Similarly this year Wentz not sure what other has to say on this forum but I think he is the best Colts got in the offseason who is young also, and also has not thrown much INT except that shovel pass to INT. 

So Is Reich great coach for QB? Poor Play caller? 

I think it's more about scheme than Reich. 

River's situation was about OL. His LAC OL was trash, and he's a guy who can't function (he's not mobile) without protection. He got protection in Indy, and was in a conservative scheme. He rarely got picked because he rarely through it down field. His few downfield throws were successful though, and I would have upped the shots a bit.  

Wentz had both OL and pass catcher injury issues in Philly. Both units were decimated. Our OL has been iffy too, but we've had consistency in the pass catcher space, and again, our scheme is pretty conservative. Wentz's best WR last year was a guy that wasn't on the roster to begin the year, and couldn't even make the roster this year (I think he's still on the street). Also, his IAY was 8.8 last year, versus 6.5 this year. That's a big drop off and speaks to the conservativeness of our scheme. IIRC, Philly led the league last year, or was top 5 at least, in pass catcher drops.

I don't really credit a lot of that to Reich, unless you want to give credit for conservative scheme? 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A journalism degree doesn't really mean anything though lol... Most reporting these days, sport or politics, is mostly trash. 

Hicks is just trying prove his summer articles right lol... He jumped the shark in June/July with a long winded deep dive about Wentz's mechanics last season, but was too lazy to provide any context about the OL and WR units being decimated all year. He'll keep pounding that drum all season and into next.... 

he seems to always want the colts to fail. He seems happy when they fail. Not saying he needs to be a fan but to actively laugh and mock the colts on Twitter I think is pretty bad.  A writer for a team should not openly be hoping  for a team to fail.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's more about scheme than Reich. 

River's situation was about OL. His LAC OL was trash, and he's a guy who can't function (he's not mobile) without protection. He got protection in Indy, and was in a conservative scheme. He rarely got picked because he rarely through it down field. His few downfield throws were successful though, and I would have upped the shots a bit.  

Wentz had both OL and pass catcher injury issues in Philly. Both units were decimated. Our OL has been iffy too, but we've had consistency in the pass catcher space, and again, our scheme is pretty conservative. Wentz's best WR last year was a guy that wasn't on the roster to begin the year, and couldn't even make the roster this year (I think he's still on the street). Also, his IAY was 8.8 last year, versus 6.5 this year. That's a big drop off and speaks to the conservativeness of our scheme. IIRC, Philly led the league last year, or was top 5 at least, in pass catcher drops.

I don't really credit a lot of that to Reich, unless you want to give credit for conservative scheme? 

I think Reich is getting carson to take what is there rather then playing hero ball too. He is starting to take more underneath stuff. His yards per attempt was over 11 last night. I don’t think a offense needs to go deep every play. I think they are starting to find the right mix of deep passes to keep the defense from pressuring so much. 

Who knew having both Parris Campbell and Michael Pittman healthy together plus an OL developing chemistry together would give Wentz the best performance of this season? Offense wins in this league, just build the offense moving forward, drafting college guys with production like JT and Pittman. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think Reich is getting carson to take what is there rather then playing hero ball too. He is starting to take more underneath stuff. His yards per attempt was over 11 last night. I don’t think a offense needs to go deep every play. I think they are starting to find the right mix of deep passes to keep the defense from pressuring so much. 

Everything is related. Better defense helps, better protection helps, better pass catchers help, better running game helps. When you put the weight of the world on a guy every game, it won't work out well normally lol. That's what happened last year. Carson hasn't had the weight of the world on him, at least not as bad as last year. And being top 5ish in throws to RBs helps alleviate a lot of pressure.

I agree on deep tosses. I don't want air raid, but I do want several shots per game to keep the D honest. Can't be just when you're behind trying to catch up. Needs to be on early downs when it's not expected. 

• Like 1