Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Reed and Q/Move Q TO LT (MERGE)

ruf

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I get the line is getting expensive.  That’s how it goes when you put together a talented bunch.  The issue is they need to get healthy.  If the line was playing at their previous top 5 form no one would be considering shuffling positions and salary cap ramifications would be justified by most.  Most concerns will all go away once they are healthy.  RG will be filled with either a cheaper FA or player already on rookie contract and LT will be eventually filled thru the draft.  Once those players are ready for their second contracts I expect we will move on from Kelly, Smith and or Nelson and the cycle will continue. This is all temporary and it will work itself out 

I highly disagree with the bolded. The Cap ramifications of Nelson's second contract has been a concern for some and has been brought up many times since the day he was drafted. It's going to be a discussion point for a long time I'm afraid

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

You should be asking yourself why no actual, real world, paid-to-do-this NFL personnel people seem to agree with you.

He said teams did ask him about it before the draft and a couple really wanted him there.  He was open to it but was off the board before they got to him

We never had a reason to put him there when AC was here.  They were obviously hoping Fisher would be better but so far that isnt working.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I get the line is getting expensive.  That’s how it goes when you put together a talented bunch.  The issue is they need to get healthy.  If the line was playing at their previous top 5 form no one would be considering shuffling positions and salary cap ramifications would be justified by most.  Most concerns will all go away once they are healthy.  RG will be filled with either a cheaper FA or player already on rookie contract and LT will be eventually filled thru the draft.  Once those players are ready for their second contracts I expect we will move on from Kelly, Smith and or Nelson and the cycle will continue. This is all temporary and it will work itself out 

I have listen to the different viewpoints and would admit if Fisher balls out at LT then keep him and Q stay at LG and put Reed at RG. BUT if Fisher dosen't work out Q needs to go to LT and hear is why:

we may or may not have a 1st rd pick and even if we do we need to grab a cb with that 1st rd. and if we look for a FA LT do you want another Davenport or Holder etc. we have already tried that . the Oline is what makes the Offense work and it has to be fixed. if Fisher don't work out a rookie LT will be a work in progress at the most important position on the line and a fa is a crap shoot

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He said teams did ask him about it before the draft and a couple really wanted him there.  He was open to it but was off the board before they got to him

That was also before he became a First Team All-Pro at LG for each of his first 3 seasons.

The NFL personnel folks I'm talking about are the ones in the Colts FO.

16 hours ago, ruf said:

I have been back and forth with leave Q at LG or pay him and make him our LT I have now decided that is what we should do and what is best for the team going forward.

think of the rb's having some space to run off the left side.

so the OL would look something like

Q - CR - Kelly - Upgrade at RG -and B Smith

what are your thoughts on this? I know it has been talked about before but what is different is that it looks like Cris Reed can play at a high level

From what I've seen the last game and a half, we have run the ball just as well or better than when Q was in there.  He's also done fine in pass PRO as far as I can tell from TV. 

I think Q is a better player than Reed, but I think this starts to show that LG added value to a team isn't very great.  

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I'm talking about are the ones in the Colts FO.

The reason they dont do it is they brought in Eric fisher

He hasnt been effective though, I dont think its important to preserve the plan when it doesnt work.  Q is hurt now anyway but should have been LT since AC retired imo 

I dont think having an all pro LG should be a priority over a decent tackle 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

He hasnt been effective though, I dont think its important to preserve the plan when it doesnt work.  Q is hurt now anyway but should have been LT since AC retired imo 

No, they brought in Eric Fisher because they'd already decided they weren't moving Nelson out there.  Of course they're standing behind that decision.  My point is that it doesn't seem to me like they ever seriously considered moving Nelson to T.

If it wasn't Fisher, it would've been somebody else (Leno, etal).

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont think having an all pro LG should be a priority over a decent tackle 

your last line is the best argument for my case of starting Q at LT. well said. and what if he even excels at LT which i think he will do...

1 hour ago, J@son said:

I highly disagree with the bolded. The Cap ramifications of Nelson's second contract has been a concern for some and has been brought up many times since the day he was drafted. It's going to be a discussion point for a long time I'm afraid

Why I said justified by most

1 hour ago, ruf said:

I have listen to the different viewpoints and would admit if Fisher balls out at LT then keep him and Q stay at LG and put Reed at RG. BUT if Fisher dosen't work out Q needs to go to LT and hear is why:

we may or may not have a 1st rd pick and even if we do we need to grab a cb with that 1st rd. and if we look for a FA LT do you want another Davenport or Holder etc. we have already tried that . the Oline is what makes the Offense work and it has to be fixed. if Fisher don't work out a rookie LT will be a work in progress at the most important position on the line and a fa is a crap shoot

Fisher doesn’t work out needs to happen first. Up until now all the scenarios have been Fisher moving to right tackle. I would search the trade market before the draft. Might be someone that we could get to fill the spot.  

All of my points are being made on what I believe will happen.  Not what I want to happen. I don’t think it’s smart to pay guards 20mil a year but I also don’t believe you ever let a future HOF player walk if they are still playing at a high level for years to come. Except very few scenarios, I also don’t think you move star players positions.  CB to safety is one that happens, outside WRs moving to the slot and normally it’s OTs moving inside to guard.  I’m not saying it’s not possible for Q to move outside, I just don’t think it’s a good idea considering his reluctance and their are a lot of other avenues we can explore first.  

14 hours ago, J@son said:

well it was the combination of removing the brother/sister angle and ignoring all of the sequels that made Laurie's actions in Halloween 2018 make no sense.  Based on what she knows, Michael is just some rando that went on a killing spree one night who got a handful of victims.  They even ignore part 2 where he follows her to the hospital.  He then gets caught and locked up.  yes, that is a traumatic event don't get me wrong, but for her to obsess as hard as she did to the point she became some sort of survivalist, cutting off most of the outside world and she ruined the relationship she had with her daughter.  There's absolutely no reason for her to be so paranoid that he's going to escape and come after her again.

It may have made the story a little more believable, but they transformed Laurie Strode from a heroine to a mostly unsympathetic whack job.  I do like the theory that she was the one that caused the bus to crash thus freeing Michael.

Back to the colts though lol (maybe there should be a thread in misc. disc about halloween and michael :D ) Fisher is only 30...if he does wind up balling out and returning to his previous form, he could be the LT for the next few years, giving us plenty of time to find and groom his replacement.  

The next time I am able to get back on my laptop I'll respond to this post and give you my opinion about Laurie and why I'm okay with the way she turned out 40 years after the original film. Horror movies and Colts football are two of my favorite things! I'll hit you up the next time I come on here, Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

I have mention this before and was even willing to change my mind (if fisher really ball out) but i think now even if he does we should not resign him.

this is what we should do. Pay Q and make him our LT--we will have to pay him anyway (and we should) but as a LT so we will say cap space by not having to pay LT money for two positions on the Oline (LT and LG). the money saved there should go to DB's 

we need to use the money saved there  by getting a FA shut down CB--while at the same time not doing damage to our Oline by having more Tevi--Davenports-- Holder experiences.

we will not have a 1st round pick so get the best D player on the board regardless of position with our #2 pick and please don't trade it for more picks.

with that said i think we would have a very good Oline with Q Reed Kelly Glo and Smith.

CW is a great qb or very good in any case he is not the problem

2 minutes ago, ruf said:

yes it is and needs to stay one till it happens. we need proven db's and they need to be found in FA not the draft or we will only have more meltdowns as monday night

Yeah they aren’t moving Q to LT.  They are going to pay him a tone of money to be a guard and fans are going to have to deal with it.

As for the problems with the DBs that has more to do with the system the Colts play and getting zero pass rush.  They could have Revis and Sherman back there in their primes and if you don’t get any kind of pass rush sooner or later a whole in the zone is going to develop and any pro QB will be able to pick it apart.  

34 minutes ago, ruf said:

I have mention this before and was even willing to change my mind (if fisher really ball out) but i think now even if he does we should not resign him.

this is what we should do. Pay Q and make him our LT--we will have to pay him anyway (and we should) but as a LT so we will say cap space by not having to pay LT money for two positions on the Oline (LT and LG). the money saved there should go to DB's 

we need to use the money saved there  by getting a FA shut down CB--while at the same time not doing damage to our Oline by having more Tevi--Davenports-- Holder experiences.

we will not have a 1st round pick so get the best D player on the board regardless of position with our #2 pick and please don't trade it for more picks.

with that said i think we would have a very good Oline with Q Reed Kelly Glo and Smith.

Why are you in such a hurry to make long-term decisions after just five games?

Maybe you’re right, but there’s no need to come to a conclusion so soon.   Time is on our side.   We can decide somewhere down the road.   Really.   Honestly. 

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah they aren’t moving Q to LT.  They are going to pay him a tone of money to be a guard and fans are going to have to deal with it.

As for the problems with the DBs that has more to do with the system the Colts play and getting zero pass rush.  They could have Revis and Sherman back there in their primes and if you don’t get any kind of pass rush sooner or later a whole in the zone is going to develop and any pro QB will be able to pick it apart.  

Our lack of pressures has a decent amount to do with our scheme too... Our lack of blitzing for one... 

But let's not act like it's all on lack of pressure. We give up a ton of cushion on the norm, and in 3rd down we're typically in even softer prevent. And when we're not even willing to man up when we're backed up on RZ D, we're bound to have several natural scheme created holes.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe you’re right, but there’s no need to come to a conclusion so soon.   Time is on our side.   We can decide somewhere down the road.   Really.   Honestly. 

This is actually the perfect year to try Q or Smith out at LT. 

Our current LT is playing horrible. 

Our season could be over (out of playoff contention) after this week, or next, which means there's not much to lose after that by trying out some new OL looks.

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Our season could be over (out of playoff contention) after this week, or next, which means there's not much to lose after that by trying out some new OL looks.

Bold prediction here but I think we win our next 5 games assuming no other key injuries. I know our pass defense is bad right now but overall I think our O is coming together, it looked good on Monday and our O.Line even looked good without Q. Here is the key though, every QB we play in the next 5 weeks is far from elite which should help our secondary:

Houston = Mills

at 49'ers = possibly Lance, Jimmy G is far from elite as well

Tennessee = Tannehill is good but Lamar is great

NY Jets = Wilson

Jacks = Lawrence, still green and they stink as a team.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bold prediction here but I think we win our next 5 games assuming no other key injuries. I know our pass defense is bad right now but overall I think our O is coming together, it looked good on Monday and our O.Line even looked good without Q. Here is the key though, every QB we play in the next 5 weeks is far from elite which should help our secondary:

Houston = Mills

at 49'ers = possibly Lance, Jimmy G is far from elite as well

Tennessee = Tannehill is good but Lamar is great

NY Jets = Wilson

Jacks = Lawrence, still green and they stink as a team.

To add to this, I would take Wentz over any of those guys except Tannehill and to me he and Tannehill are even. We will finally have the advantage at QB for 4 of the 5 games. The tide is about to turn now folks, our schedule isn't as bad.

To the people that bash this team and hate on it, you have 2 more days to get it in because after that we won't lose for a month with that schedule and yes we will beat Tennessee, they never sweep us. Most people in here, even the optimistic one's said we would be 2-3 at best but most said 1-4 or even 0-5 through 5 games. So I am not sure what the whining is about except people love doing it to their own team, which is comical. Everyone knew that was a brutal schedule to begin the season, now lets see what happens. I have a feeling a few folks are going to disappear for a while lmao 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To the people that bash this team and hate on it, you have 2 more days to get it in because after that we won't lose for a month with that schedule and yes we will beat Tennessee, they never sweep us. Most people in here, even the optimistic one's said we would be 2-3 at best but most said 1-4 or even 0-5 through 5 games. So I am not sure what the whining is about except people love doing it to their own team, which is comical. Everyone knew that was a brutal schedule to begin the season, now lets see what happens. I have a feeling a few folks are going to disappear for a while lmao 

I’m just going to quote myself as a respons, because it’s already starting apparently smh. :facepalm:

16 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I am sure we will beat the Texans next week and most of remaining teams save the Bucs, Bills, Cardinals an possibly the Titans. The sunshine preachers will be crying hallelooya thinking we are an amazing team now. We will make the playoffs and be one and done having made no progress what so ever, even regressed, compared to last year. 

Still unable to beat the good to elite teams. 
Still in need of star players and difference makers, but now without any cap space. 

Still making the same playcalling mistakes. 

That’s my best guess. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In the sense that we are all gonna die someday I guess maybe time is with us?  Otherwise we gave the issue off the 20+ million guard to go along with the 20 million Will who is playing average. Like pretty much right now unless we string Q Along.

not gonna be great.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It may be the perfect year,  but it's not the perfect time.   Not until we're officially eliminated.   At that point, we can do some experimenting.    If CB, FR and Q want to do it,  then I'm fine.  

20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

In the sense that we are all gonna die someday I guess maybe time is with us?  Otherwise we gave the issue off the 20+ million guard to go along with the 20 million Will who is playing average. Like pretty much right now unless we string Q Along.

not gonna be great.

We won't try to experiment with moving Q untili we are eliminated.    At that point,  if the brain trust wants to try moving Q, and he's good with it,  then I'm fine with it too.     Otherwise, we are still trying to make the playoffs this season.

There's no need to rush a decision like this one.    We've got a lot of football left to play.

6 hours ago, ruf said:

Considering we likely won’t get Q back for another 5-6 weeks, this thread doesn’t help us at all this year. And we may still get our 1 back, Wentz has to play at least 6 more games to get to 70 percent ,roughly, of snaps for the season. At the rate we are going, we may still be sitting at a single win by then and out of the playoff hunt. If we are, I imagine they’d sit Wentz 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think some fans are tired of always waiting for the colts to play sub par teams for a win. 

It would be nice to see the colts beat playoff level teams. (they are currently 0-7 in that department) 

Backing into the playoffs only to get bounced out by the first above average team seems to be the about the best results fans can expect yearly. 

26 minutes ago, Ratking said:

I think some fans are tired of always waiting for the colts to play sub par teams for a win. 

It would be nice to see the colts beat playoff level teams. (they are currently 0-7 in that department) 

Backing into the playoffs only to get bounced out by the first above average team seems to be the about the best results fans can expect yearly. 

I get the frustration, I think we will beat the Titans in the rematch so that will end. We really should've won Monday, we just blew it. 

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I’m just going to quote myself as a respons, because it’s already starting apparently smh. :facepalm:

I doubt anyone will think we are an amazing team beating lesser opponents lol, but beating teams you should beat is still a good sign. A lot people in here will just say we beat the Texans, Jags, and Jets we were supposed too, JMO. 

7 hours ago, ruf said:

They have addressed it a few times.   It isn't happening

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Our lack of pressures has a decent amount to do with our scheme too... Our lack of blitzing for one... 

But let's not act like it's all on lack of pressure. We give up a ton of cushion on the norm, and in 3rd down we're typically in even softer prevent. And when we're not even willing to man up when we're backed up on RZ D, we're bound to have several natural scheme created holes.

What do you expect after being 1-4 in 5 games and this team looking like a hot mess. 

15 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

What do you expect after being 1-4 in 5 games and this team looking like a hot mess. 

Chiefs are a hot mess as well at 2-3, crap happens. Any team that has had our schedule would be 3-2 at best, even the Bucs. The Rams steamrolled the Bucs and I doubt the Bucs would win at Baltimore either with the way their D is playing. Lets see where we are at by mid November, plenty of football left. I had us 2-3 through the first 5 games because of the schedule but thought there was a chance of being 1-4 and I am a optimist. I think at worse through 10 games we will be 5-5, at that point it is a new season with 7 to play. 

Archived