Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Reed and Q/Move Q TO LT (MERGE)

ruf

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SR711 said:

Was this coverage shell more prevalent after we went up 22-3?  Reason I ask is because for the better part of 3 quarters, the defense actually was playing really well (similar to the Dolphins game week prior before they had a bad 4th quarter and similar to the Steelers game late last year) and suddenly went into the tank.  Would be curious to know if there a concerted effort to go into a more soft coverage in those situations.   

Some cracks began to show on that drive that Lamar fumbled near the goal line, but they were doing a pretty solid job prior to that of getting off the field on 3rd down (would actually say the D was probably playing their best game of the year up to that point)

Early we were playing a safety up in the box to combat the run, and were begging Lamar to throw with soft cushion from the DBs. 

When we went up, we were already giving a lot of cushion, but looked like we went to quarters and QQH, getting even softer. Perhaps someone with all22 can give us more definitive info, but that's what I noticed.

5 hours ago, ruf said:

Let me tell you what will happen in these 5 games

Mills: will look like Peyton Manning

so will Lawrence and Wilson for the jets.

Since we cannot at this time make the chances I think we should make because of Q being on IR I think we will lose 3 of these games. remember you heard it here first. these are 5 games we should win but with luck we may win 2

You're the best troll ever! Lol

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Logically speaking, RT and LG are functioning with Pryor and Reed at a much higher level that Fisher is at LT. 

So regardless of timing, it might be logical to try and address LT as soon as Smith or Q gets back to health, if Fisher is still struggling.

Ok….    That’s not unreasonable.   I’ve noted Pryor  and hope he turns into something.   But right now I still of him as backup level.  

But even if we move Q to LT, I believe Smith stays at at RT.    Because otherwise our 2022 line looks like this…

Nelson, Reed, Kelly, Smith, Pryor.   

Or are you keeping Glow at G and Smith at RT for next year?    Not sure we want to start 2022 with 2 new OT’s?   

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They don’t want Q at left tackle.  If they did they would have started the season with him there and started Reed at LG.  They are counting on Fisher recovering and being our LT in the future.  They are letting him play himself back into form.  Simple as that really.  It wouldn’t be the first time a player has been allowed to do that.  Especially a player of Fishers caliber.  Q returning will accelerate that goal.  Pryor will hold the fort until Smith returns.  This strategy will not cost us the season.  It just might save the season.  We are almost there.

I think its fair to question all of this.  Especially with Reed playing well and Fisher not so much.   He looks like someone who should have taken the year off rather than someone we should have blind faith in now

I dont think paying Q at LG is smart either, it was fine on a rookie contract but the team has a right to consider positional value and cap space before handing him a big contract.

15 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I think its fair to question all of this.  Especially with Reed playing well and Fisher not so much.   He looks like someone who should have taken the year off rather than someone we should have blind faith in now

I dont think paying Q at LG is smart either, it was fine on a rookie contract but the team has a right to consider positional value and cap space before handing him a big contract.

reed gave up a bunch of pressures the last two games wasnt even close to Qs level .  reed is good in the run game no doubt but pass blocking he is only average .   defensive tackles do not get a ton of sacks unless they are elite so the numbers to look at is pressures .   Q is elite pass blocker and much more athletic at pulling in the run game .   fisher will keep getting better he is looking better every week .  he is only about 9 months out for a major injury that takes most players a year to recover .  fully healthy fisher is a pro bowl elite tackle .

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….    That’s not unreasonable.   I’ve noted Pryor  and hope he turns into something.   But right now I still of him as backup level.  

But even if we move Q to LT, I believe Smith stays at at RT.    Because otherwise our 2022 line looks like this…

Nelson, Reed, Kelly, Smith, Pryor.   

Or are you keeping Glow at G and Smith at RT for next year?    Not sure we want to start 2022 with 2 new OT’s?   

I wouldn't permanently move both (at least at this time). It would either be

Nelson - Reed - Kelly - Glow - Smith (Pryor as swing)

or 

Smith - Nelson - Kelly - Glow (or Reed) - Pryor

If they experiment early enough, and find the right mix, it's not really "starting 2022" with new anything. It's just staying with what worked. 

I would need to see more from Pryor (4 or 5 more games) before blessing him long term at RT. But so far he's impressed.

Reed on the other hand I've liked all along. I'd still like to see more games from him though.

But I'm also not against temp moves this year, and trying to sign a guy like Leno in the off season. He's the guy we should have picked in the first place IMO, and is only on a one year deal. 

23 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

he is only about 9 months out for a major injury that takes most players a year to recover

That is why I didnt like that move in the first place.  Hes not that young either, i dont see him as a long term answer.  Maybe a year or two if he plays a lot better than he has so far.

I think we can live with an average LG too.  I get that they dont want to move Q but cap space is getting tighter, and they will have to sign someone else to be the LT if its not him.  It might be EF but they are going to have a lot of money in that line if they go that route

We might have limited picks, cap space and a lot of needs this year.  Its not a great draft class either 

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

That is why I didnt like that move in the first place.  Hes not that young either, i dont see him as a long term answer.  Maybe a year or two if he plays a lot better than he has so far.

I think we can live with an average LG too.  I get that they dont want to move Q but cap space is getting tighter, and they will have to sign someone else to be the LT if its not him.  It might be EF but they are going to have a lot of money in that line if they go that route

We might have limited picks, cap space and a lot of needs this year.  Its not a great draft class either 

Very good points made and cap space is needed for D we need a pass rush or a shut down coner in FA i'm hoping the pass rush will improve with our two rookies this year a DE i know Dayo is a little time away yet

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't permanently move both (at least at this time). It would either be

Nelson - Reed - Kelly - Glow - Smith (Pryor as swing)

or 

Smith - Nelson - Kelly - Glow (or Reed) - Pryor

If they experiment early enough, and find the right mix, it's not really "starting 2022" with new anything. It's just staying with what worked. 

I would need to see more from Pryor (4 or 5 more games) before blessing him long term at RT. But so far he's impressed.

Reed on the other hand I've liked all along. I'd still like to see more games from him though.

But I'm also not against temp moves this year, and trying to sign a guy like Leno in the off season. He's the guy we should have picked in the first place IMO, and is only on a one year deal. 

i wouldn't want to move both either and i like the idea of Pryor as swing T

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You're the best troll ever! Lol

i'm no troll been a colts fan since Johnny U (hope you know who that is)

but anyhow i wish someone that disagree with my thoughts will tell me how they cannot see the logic in what i'm saying

when we lost AC to retirement we see how valuable he was. i think Q can be as good if not better than him at LT. we cannot pay a elite LT money to the LT AND LG so we have to do it this way pay Q and make him our LT

this will give us a top 10 LT and a solid oline with Reed, Kelly, Glo and Smith (when they all return)

this will give us cap space to fix the D. we need a shut down cb (from FA) then draft the best D player on the board with our 2nd round pick, we need improvement of play at all 3 levels.

so tell me where you don't see the logic in this

1 minute ago, ruf said:

i'm no troll been a colts fan since Johnny U (hope you know who that is)

but anyhow i wish someone that disagree with my thoughts will tell me how they cannot see the logic in what i'm saying

when we lost AC to retirement we see how valuable he was. i think Q can be as good if not better than him at LT. we cannot pay a elite LT money to the LT AND LG so we have to do it this way pay Q and make him our LT

this will give us a top 10 LT and a solid oline with Reed, Kelly, Glo and Smith (when they all return)

this will give us cap space to fix the D. we need a shut down cb (from FA) then draft the best D player on the board with our 2nd round pick, we need improvement of play at all 3 levels.

so tell me where you don't see the logic in this

I dont necessarily disagree with you.

But I will tell you what I think is the real reason they wont move him to LT, and might be more willing to pay him market value as a G instead.

Qs greatest ability is his ability to pull. He is a fantastic pass blocker as well. And he is plenty athletic enough to play LT, thats where I disagree with so many people who dont want to see him play there. He is our most athletic OL. His short shuttle and 3 cone were the fastest on our line. Thats why he is so good pulling in the first place, because he has great feet and natural athleticism, and tremendous size to go along with all that. And when you move him to LT, you lose most of that. I think he would still be a fantastic pass blocker and a great run blocker at LT. But you lose the weapon that you have when he comes around the edge on an outside run play.

That being said I think they move him before they let him walk.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I recall in the off-season he made it known he wanted to stay at guard.

I seen an interview with Anthony Castonzo where he said Q was frequently working on his kick slide and asking him to critique his technique. 

He said he would do whatever the team asked him to do was what I remember, but i am pretty sure he would want to at least give it a shot.

Hed make more money there. 

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I dont necessarily disagree with you.

But I will tell you what I think is the real reason they wont move him to LT, and might be more willing to pay him market value as a G instead.

Qs greatest ability is his ability to pull. He is a fantastic pass blocker as well. And he is plenty athletic enough to play LT, thats where I disagree with so many people who dont want to see him play there. He is our most athletic OL. His short shuttle and 3 cone were the fastest on our line. Thats why he is so good pulling in the first place, because he has great feet and natural athleticism, and tremendous size to go along with all that. And when you move him to LT, you lose most of that. I think he would still be a fantastic pass blocker and a great run blocker at LT. But you lose the weapon that you have when he comes around the edge on an outside run play.

That being said I think they move him before they let him walk.

ok thanks, that gives me something to think about. although Reed cannot compare to Q isnt he also pretty good at run blocking and pulling? if Reed's strength is run blocking could we gain something extra with Q and Reed on the same side

Just now, ruf said:

ok thanks, that gives me something to think about. although Reed cannot compare to Q isnt he also pretty good at run blocking and pulling? if Reed's strength is run blocking could we gain something extra with Q and Reed on the same side

Honestly IDK.

We are running the ball well while hes been in there, but I havent went back and watched tape or anything. I would assume hes doing a nice job at whatever it is they are asking him to do.

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Honestly IDK.

We are running the ball well while hes been in there, but I havent went back and watched tape or anything. I would assume hes doing a nice job at whatever it is they are asking him to do.

Yeah I thought our Line played well on Monday, best game they have had all year IMO. That says a lot since Q was out.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I thought our Line played well on Monday, best game they have had all year IMO. That says a lot since Q was out.

Considering all the injuries, I agree. Easily the best game theyve played so far.

I thought Fisher played pretty well, which was encouraging. Yeah he gave up that sack, but if that guy wasnt offsides nobody was stopping that sack unless its with a TE there to help them with a chip. 

4 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Considering all the injuries, I agree. Easily the best game theyve played so far.

I thought Fisher played pretty well, which was encouraging. Yeah he gave up that sack, but if that guy wasnt offsides nobody was stopping that sack unless its with a TE there to help them with a chip. 

that is a coaching problem sometimes they need to delay the TE to chip and at least reroute the pass rusher

28 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I seen an interview with Anthony Castonzo where he said Q was frequently working on his kick slide and asking him to critique his technique. 

He said he would do whatever the team asked him to do was what I remember, but i am pretty sure he would want to at least give it a shot.

Hed make more money there. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-explored-moving-quenton-nelson-to-left-tackle-but-ultimately-decided-against-a-position-change/

while he said he would do whatever the team wanted him to do right before that he said he wanted to stay a left guard.

"I definitely wanted to stay at left guard, but I was going to do whatever the team required me to do,"

On 10/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, ruf said:

I have been back and forth with leave Q at LG or pay him and make him our LT I have now decided that is what we should do and what is best for the team going forward.

think of the rb's having some space to run off the left side.

so the OL would look something like

Q - CR - Kelly - Upgrade at RG -and B Smith

what are your thoughts on this? I know it has been talked about before but what is different is that it looks like Cris Reed can play at a high level

No.

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-explored-moving-quenton-nelson-to-left-tackle-but-ultimately-decided-against-a-position-change/

while he said he would do whatever the team wanted him to do right before that he said he wanted to stay a left guard.

"I definitely wanted to stay at left guard, but I was going to do whatever the team required me to do,"

that is great that he would be willing to do what is best for the team

2 hours ago, ruf said:

i wouldn't want to move both either and i like the idea of Pryor as swing T

I just wonder how long Smith is going to be out. Q too.

The moment one gets back, I think the situation will be interesting. 

I want both back as quick as possible, but I also would like to see both Reed and Pryor a little more to simply understand our options. We know we'll at least see both another week. SF would be a bigger test.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, ruf said:

I have been back and forth with leave Q at LG or pay him and make him our LT I have now decided that is what we should do and what is best for the team going forward.

think of the rb's having some space to run off the left side.

so the OL would look something like

Q - CR - Kelly - Upgrade at RG -and B Smith

what are your thoughts on this? I know it has been talked about before but what is different is that it looks like Cris Reed can play at a high level

I agree 100%  will be very unpopular but almost necessary... we need LBer and Secondary help and possibly pass rush...it's a long season maybe this convo is better for the off-season. Unless we lose Smith for the year... 

Then it would be interesting to see...

QN CR RK MG EF/PRYOR(compete for RT)

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I just wonder how long Smith is going to be out. Q too.

The moment one gets back, I think the situation will be interesting. 

I want both back as quick as possible, but I also would like to see both Reed and Pryor a little more to simply understand our options. We know we'll at least see both another week. SF would be a bigger test.

These moments sucks to have allpros out... but it's really how you find and grow depth...Reed, Pryor, and Pinter are looking like good rotational guys...(Reed may be on Glows level or higher)

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has Nelson even talked about wanting to play LT? Just asking because I don't recall it.

8 hours ago, ruf said:

He actually did play LT in a few games and did an excellent job.

He said in an interview during TC that he does not want to play LT permanently . End of discussion right there

2 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree 100%  will be very unpopular but almost necessary... we need LBer and Secondary help and possibly pass rush...it's a long season maybe this convo is better for the off-season. Unless we lose Smith for the year... 

Then it would be interesting to see...

QN CR RK MG EF/PRYOR(compete for RT)

it is like we do need another LB to go with Lawrence and really a CB and S

The Colts need an immediate upgrade of talent on the D. Free Agency is the source for that upgrade. They can’t get the players they need in free agency unless they find some cap relief. Moving Q to LT and putting Reed in at LG will get them that relief. 

Look no further than the great Larry Allen to see that this can be done successfully. Allen played every position along the O line for the Cowboys except Center. He was a pro bowler at both LG and RG, and a pro bowler at LT. 
Why can’t the Colts do this with Q? 
They can, and given the personnel situation they now face, it’s foolish not to give it a try. 

16 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The Colts need an immediate upgrade of talent on the D. Free Agency is the source for that upgrade. They can’t get the players they need in free agency unless they find some cap relief. Moving Q to LT and putting Reed in at LG will get them that relief. 

Look no further than the great Larry Allen to see that this can be done successfully. Allen played every position along the O line for the Cowboys except Center. He was a pro bowler at both LG and RG, and a pro bowler at LT. 
Why can’t the Colts do this with Q? 
They can, and given the personnel situation they now face, it’s foolish not to give it a try. 

Colts fan base has selective comprehension skills. Q does not and will not be moving to left tackle. Because he did ok for a few snaps last tear....hed be a great left tackle. Lol...Who cares if he has a bad back...bad ankle. Let's put him out on an island. Lol

15 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

ballard did mess up not taking leno  for much cheaper and he is playing amazing right now and is younger than fisher

Archived