Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Reed and Q/Move Q TO LT (MERGE)

ruf

Spitball prediction here.  Fisher recovers nicely just as Ballard thought he would.  After the season he extends Fisher for four years and he is our LT for those years.  After all he is only 30 years old.  Tackles can easily play into their late 30's.  His contract will be a nice one but not as much as Q's.  So I think he will put the franchise tag on Q.  The one where we get a 1st rd pick if he signs with another team.  He signs with another team and we get the pick to replace the one lost to the Eagles.  We sign Reed to an extension to take Q's spot.  Pryor is resigned as well as Glowinski.  Ballard will then trade our 1st or 2nd pick for a starting CB or WR to take either Rhodes or TY's spot.  Ballard signs a FA WR or CB to take the spot for the other position not covered in the trade.  I think this scenario is very possible if Fisher recovers as expected.  If Fisher doesn't recover adequately then Q would get the big contract and move to LT, maybe.   Just me spitballing early in the season. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Spitball prediction here.  Fisher recovers nicely just as Ballard thought he would.  After the season he extends Fisher for four years and he is our LT for those years.  After all he is only 30 years old.  Tackles can easily play into their late 30's.  His contract will be a nice one but not as much as Q's.  So I think he will put the franchise tag on Q.  The one where we get a 1st rd pick if he signs with another team.  He signs with another team and we get the pick to replace the one lost to the Eagles.  We sign Reed to an extension to take Q's spot.  Pryor is resigned as well as Glowinski.  Ballard will then trade our 1st or 2nd pick for a starting CB or WR to take either Rhodes or TY's spot.  Ballard signs a FA WR or CB to take the spot for the other position not covered in the trade.  I think this scenario is very possible if Fisher recovers as expected.  If Fisher doesn't recover adequately then Q would get the big contract and move to LT, maybe.   Just me spitballing early in the season. 

I like it up to there lol

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

He said in an interview during TC that he does not want to play LT permanently . End of discussion right there

Which I think is a shame because I think him moving to LT would extend his career due to that the move to LT would require him to lose some weight which would help his back. Although I do think Fisher will improve throughout the season and we may be able to resign him below market value this offseason. Some might not be happy with that but a full offseason to focus on regaining strength and I believe Fisher will be a lot closer to his former self

9 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

These moments sucks to have allpros out... but it's really how you find and grow depth...Reed, Pryor, and Pinter are looking like good rotational guys...(Reed may be on Glows level or higher)

Pinter really hasn't played much, so still really have zero clue about his upside.

Having Reed is nice, if even only as solid depth. Even if he's better than Glow and replaces him, I hope we keep Glow as depth. 

Right now though, he brings flexibility for us once Q comes back, like Pryor does once Smith gets back. 

Most concerned now about LT/Fisher.

I remember back when the Colts signed Reed, it seemed as if only @holeymoley99 and myself knew what a very good pick up he was.  I also wondered why it was only a 1 year deal, as they had to know that Glow would be too expensive to re-sign.  Now you are in a pickle, as Reed has shown promise, and will command more money than if he was signed to a longer contract to begin with.

2 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

I remember back when the Colts signed Reed, it seemed as if only @holeymoley99 and myself knew what a very good pick up he was.  I also wondered why it was only a 1 year deal, as they had to know that Glow would be too expensive to re-sign.  Now you are in a pickle, as Reed has shown promise, and will command more money than if he was signed to a longer contract to begin with.

Yep. He might end up costing the same as Glow. So then it’s which player do you think is the better player. Glow nor Reed will cost that much but I doubt they can keep both. Both will be able to get starting jobs so they aren’t going to want to be backups.  Guess we won’t know exactly until FA starts. But they need to get at least one signed before that starts so they don’t take a chance of losing both. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Yep. He might end up costing the same as Glow. So then it’s which player do you think is the better player. Glow nor Reed will cost that much but I doubt they can keep both. Both will be able to get starting jobs so they aren’t going to want to be backups.  Guess we won’t know exactly until FA starts. But they need to get at least one signed before that starts so they don’t take a chance of losing both. 

Reed would be my choice as he can play both guard positions, I don't believe Glow can.

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Glow played 16 games at left guard in 2016

Thank you, I was unaware of that.  My thought process has now been piqued.  Thanks again for the clarification.  Do you know if he was decent at pulling, the most desirable trait of a LG?

Edit:  It seems he "pulls" better than I thought.  This will be interesting heading in to the off season.

3 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Thank you, I was unaware of that.  My thought process has now been piqued.  Thanks again for the clarification.  Do you know if he was decent at pulling, the most desirable trait of a LG?

I don't know.   He only played there one season with Seattle  and moved to RG the following year

Just now, richard pallo said:

I would sign both of them.  We shouldn’t have Tevi or Davenport back.  Resign Pryor too.  Fries is the other backup tackle and Pinter is the backup center.

The problem with signing both of them is what they make.  Glow is currently $7,520,588 against the cap.  He will want a raise, should the offensive line get healthy and dominate as we expect.  Reed is currently $987,500 against the cap and has filled in admirably for All Pro Q.  Do you think he won't want to get paid as well?  I can't see both being re-signed, unless one gets hurt.  There will already be enough tied up in Kelly, overrated imo, Smith, Q, and possibly Fisher.

3 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

The problem with signing both of them is what they make.  Glow is currently $7,520,588 against the cap.  He will want a raise, should the offensive line get healthy and dominate as we expect.  Reed is currently $987,500 against the cap and has filled in admirably for All Pro Q.  Do you think he won't want to get paid as well?  I can't see both being re-signed, unless one gets hurt.  There will already be enough tied up in Kelly, overrated imo, Smith, Q, and possibly Fisher.

I think Ballard can resign them both and not incur huge cap hits.  They are both good journeyman players.  But shouldn’t be that expensive.  Bonuses can lower cap hits.  Kelly could get restructured too.  I think it could be done.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard can resign them both and not incur huge cap hits.  They are both good journeyman players.  But shouldn’t be that expensive.  Bonuses can lower cap hits.  Kelly could get restructured too.  I think it could be done.

I like your enthusiasm and hope that is the case, as the depth on the offensive line would be very good, sans a true swing tackle.

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

we can keep both if we don't pay 2 LT's price (for LT and LG) and they will both be starters for us simply by paying Q and making him LT

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because some fans just can’t wrap their heads around the idea that the Colts are going to pay a tone of money to Nelson to play guard.  

It's just a rare thing to pay a LG so much. So not really a huge reach of a debate.

Even rarer when talk of 20M a year when the current top 10 is only averaging about 10M/year.

And the talk will continue so long as we have a poorly performing LT, or just simply not a long term answer at LT.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's just a rare thing to pay a LG so much. So not really a huge reach of a debate.

Even rarer when talk of 20M a year when the current top 10 is only averaging about 10M/year.

And the talk will continue so long as we have a poorly performing LT, or just simply not a long term answer at LT.

think also too we do not have a starting LT and G next year both Glo and Reed will be FA's.

we could go the Ftag with Q and put him at LT and sign those two G's and have a season to see how Q is doing and then get the long term deal done with him

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because some fans just can’t wrap their heads around the idea that the Colts are going to pay a tone of money to Nelson to play guard.  

...and in their uneducated football minds, it makes more sense to pay him left tackle money even though he's never played left tackle ( except for a few snaps in an emergency sutuation) and doesn't want to play left tackle. Thank God they don't run the team.

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

It doesn't even seem like Nelson wants to play LT so why are we continuing to force the issue?

He said he was fine with it during the draft process.  Have not heard any comments either way since then though

I think they should push the issue because of money, how badly do we need an elite LG vs someone like reed?  The team has every right to bring this up before handing out a big contract.  It would probably be the biggest guard contract ever

They should at least try it out, this is the perfect time to do so when he comes back

5 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

He said he was fine with it during the draft process.  Have not heard any comments either way since then though

I think they should push the issue because of money, how badly do we need an elite LG vs someone like reed?  The team has every right to bring this up before handing out a big contract.  It would probably be the biggest guard contract ever

They should at least try it out, this is the perfect time to do so when he comes back

Not true. He said during TC he would rather stay at LG, but would move if he was needed to.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:11 PM, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-explored-moving-quenton-nelson-to-left-tackle-but-ultimately-decided-against-a-position-change/

while he said he would do whatever the team wanted him to do right before that he said he wanted to stay a left guard.

"I definitely wanted to stay at left guard, but I was going to do whatever the team required me to do,"

7 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

That’s from camp.

7 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Who are they going to find in the middle of the season?  It's the perfect time to try him there and see how it goes

You didn’t say middle of the season you said once he gets his big contract.  Also like it or not barring injury they are going to stick with Fisher for this season.  If they were going to move Nelson this year they would have done it by now.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You didn’t say middle of the season you said once he gets his big contract. 

They should try it now and if it works talk about moving him there.  He could make more money and it would be better for the team's cap

This topic isn't going away no matter how many people swear it will never happen.  It makes too much sense for me to not talk about it

Just now, BlackTiger said:

They should try it now and if it works talk about moving him there.  He could make more money and it would be better for the team's cap

This topic isn't going away no matter how many people swear it will never happen.  It makes too much sense for me to not talk about it

Well they aren’t going to try it so again you may want it but it’s not going to happen.  So again it’s something you want them to do not something they need to do.

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He was a bad pick up, it's ok to say it

Going with Davenport would have been a bad pick up.  Wentz isn’t running for his life back there and Taylor has been over 100 yards in two of his last three games running mostly behind the left side.  He’s been average.  He’s not performing at level I think some expected him too but he’s far from awful either.  

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I'll keep posting about it, you are not shutting this topic down with that

I didn’t say I was.  I am just saying you wanting something doesn’t make it a need.  It also doesn’t mean you wanting something means it’s going to happen.  

Archived