Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Reed and Q/Move Q TO LT (MERGE)

ruf

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

But..... you can add CBs and that still won't change our scheme, specifically 3rd down and late game scheme, which is QQH/C6, or prevent.... Which will simply give up everything underneath.

Was this coverage shell more prevalent after we went up 22-3?  Reason I ask is because for the better part of 3 quarters, the defense actually was playing really well (similar to the Dolphins game week prior before they had a bad 4th quarter and similar to the Steelers game late last year) and suddenly went into the tank.  Would be curious to know if there a concerted effort to go into a more soft coverage in those situations.   

Some cracks began to show on that drive that Lamar fumbled near the goal line, but they were doing a pretty solid job prior to that of getting off the field on 3rd down (would actually say the D was probably playing their best game of the year up to that point)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ruf said:

I have mention this before and was even willing to change my mind (if fisher really ball out) but i think now even if he does we should not resign him.

this is what we should do. Pay Q and make him our LT--we will have to pay him anyway (and we should) but as a LT so we will say cap space by not having to pay LT money for two positions on the Oline (LT and LG). the money saved there should go to DB's 

we need to use the money saved there  by getting a FA shut down CB--while at the same time not doing damage to our Oline by having more Tevi--Davenports-- Holder experiences.

we will not have a 1st round pick so get the best D player on the board regardless of position with our #2 pick and please don't trade it for more picks.

with that said i think we would have a very good Oline with Q Reed Kelly Glo and Smith.

CW is a great qb or very good in any case he is not the problem

Before we play musical chairs with personnel, maybe we should identify schemes and techniques that better use the people we have? It doesn't help to say the line is playing poorly, but exactly how and why are they getting beat? The first reaction is to blame people. That doesn't help at all.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to this, I would take Wentz over any of those guys except Tannehill and to me he and Tannehill are even. We will finally have the advantage at QB for 4 of the 5 games. The tide is about to turn now folks, our schedule isn't as bad.

I disagree tannehill is even to wentz

10 hours ago, ruf said:

I have mention this before and was even willing to change my mind (if fisher really ball out) but i think now even if he does we should not resign him.

this is what we should do. Pay Q and make him our LT--we will have to pay him anyway (and we should) but as a LT so we will say cap space by not having to pay LT money for two positions on the Oline (LT and LG). the money saved there should go to DB's 

we need to use the money saved there  by getting a FA shut down CB--while at the same time not doing damage to our Oline by having more Tevi--Davenports-- Holder experiences.

we will not have a 1st round pick so get the best D player on the board regardless of position with our #2 pick and please don't trade it for more picks.

with that said i think we would have a very good Oline with Q Reed Kelly Glo and Smith.

CW is a great qb or very good in any case he is not the problem

I agree you can't pay Q big and get a quality LT and have enough money to keep us competitive else where. Slide out or ride out...unless Pryor has it in him...

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chiefs are a hot mess as well at 2-3, crap happens. Any team that has had our schedule would be 3-2 at best, even the Bucs. The Rams steamrolled the Bucs and I doubt the Bucs would win at Baltimore either with the way their D is playing. Lets see where we are at by mid November, plenty of football left. I had us 2-3 through the first 5 games because of the schedule but thought there was a chance of being 1-4 and I am a optimist. I think at worse through 10 games we will be 5-5, at that point it is a new season with 7 to play. 

For me its less the record and more the feeling I have watching the games. Can anyone that's watched this Colts team under Ballard/Reich say they didn't immediately think we were in trouble when the Ravens scored to end the third making it 22-9? A 22-9 lead in the 4th quarter and the 6-7 Colts fans that watch/chat/text during the game with me all said the exact same thing - here we go again. Sure the schedule has been hard but other teams aren't routinely blowing leads, leaving 3-9 points on the field every game, getting demolished by division rivals and refusing to adjust when the game is slipping away.

Yes the Chiefs have lost games THIS YEAR but the Colts have this happen every year under Reich/Ballard. Ill gladly accept the comparison when I see the Colts even remotely perform at the Chiefs level for even 3 consecutive games.  Its either terribly slow starts or catastrophic finishes but this team has played maybe 1-2 complete games in the last 50. 

27 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

For me its less the record and more the feeling I have watching the games. Can anyone that's watched this Colts team under Ballard/Reich say they didn't immediately think we were in trouble when the Ravens scored to end the third making it 22-9? A 22-9 lead in the 4th quarter and the 6-7 Colts fans that watch/chat/text during the game with me all said the exact same thing - here we go again. Sure the schedule has been hard but other teams aren't routinely blowing leads, leaving 3-9 points on the field every game, getting demolished by division rivals and refusing to adjust when the game is slipping away.

Yes the Chiefs have lost games THIS YEAR but the Colts have this happen every year under Reich/Ballard. Ill gladly accept the comparison when I see the Colts even remotely perform at the Chiefs level for even 3 consecutive games.  Its either terribly slow starts or catastrophic finishes but this team has played maybe 1-2 complete games in the last 50. 

Nail meet head!!! Excellent post

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Why wait?  We dont have a starter signed at LT next year.  Its the perfect time to try when he comes back

Because the season is not over.   It’s not close to being over.   We’re not even at the halfway point.   Players HATE giving up on a season before they’ve officially been eliminated.    

We can re-visit this in December if things change then.   But not until.   

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bold prediction here but I think we win our next 5 games assuming no other key injuries. I know our pass defense is bad right now but overall I think our O is coming together, it looked good on Monday and our O.Line even looked good without Q. Here is the key though, every QB we play in the next 5 weeks is far from elite which should help our secondary:

Houston = Mills

at 49'ers = possibly Lance, Jimmy G is far from elite as well

Tennessee = Tannehill is good but Lamar is great

NY Jets = Wilson

Jacks = Lawrence, still green and they stink as a team.

Let me tell you what will happen in these 5 games

Mills: will look like Peyton Manning

so will Lawrence and Wilson for the jets.

Since we cannot at this time make the chances I think we should make because of Q being on IR I think we will lose 3 of these games. remember you heard it here first. these are 5 games we should win but with luck we may win 2

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Curious....do you think what is posted here, has an affect on what the Colts do?

I think it could because it is logical and it was posted about putting 2 rb's in the backfield and they did do that and it worked pretty well so maybe they do read this and get some good ideals.

I think not paying big money for a LT and LG is very logical to help with cap space and really invest on D where it is needed.

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Before we play musical chairs with personnel, maybe we should identify schemes and techniques that better use the people we have? It doesn't help to say the line is playing poorly, but exactly how and why are they getting beat? The first reaction is to blame people. That doesn't help at all.

that is a good point, but i think when you look at the big picture with Q at LT you will not have to play with the schemes and will save cap space money to help the D

8 minutes ago, ruf said:

Since we cannot at this time make the chances I think we should make because of Q being on IR I think we will lose 3 of these games. remember you heard it here first. these are 5 games we should win but with luck we may win 2

You heard it here first we will win 5 in a row assuming Wentz, JT, Buck, and Leonard stay healthy. Lets see who is right. Not bragging but I am good at predicting games (I am 50-29 on our pick thread) and I think some people in here are losing their minds because we are 1-4 and are either trolling or just like bashing this team for fun. We missed a kick otherwise about 10 posters in here wouldn't even be in here this week Barack Obama Reaction GIF

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because the season is not over.   It’s not close to being over.   We’re not even at the halfway point.   Players HATE giving up on a season before they’ve officially been eliminated.    

It's far from over I agree. People have no patience now days. Season starts Sunday as far as I am concerned. Most people knew we would either be 2-3 or 1-4 but they want to be cute and bash the team. I will say this, our secondary is bad right now but we play mediocre QB's in 4 of the next 5 games. Tannehill is the only good one.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

When we were up 25-9 I thought we had it, I was just saying we need a FG and it's over. We had 1 blocked that was a chip shot at that point I was worried I admit because that rarely happens.

54 minutes ago, ruf said:

Q can come off IR and play next week. Reed has been very good.

• Shive changed the title to Chris Reed and Q/Move Q TO LT (MERGE)
15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Looks like Hot Rod might of shanked the one at the end of regulation on purpose because Campbell was going to block it again. The screen shot shows Campbell getting his hand up again.

Nah he just stinks according to some in here, we should just get someone off the street that can kick is some mentality in here- Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons-I love this site but some people in here make me do what Homer is doing after reading some their posts.

13 hours ago, ruf said:

yes it is and needs to stay one till it happens.

Please do not create another thread about this. I've merged the 2 different threads you've made about the same topic. If you have new thoughts on this topic, please just post in this thread instead of creating a new thread every couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Please do not create another thread about this. I've merged the 2 different threads you've made about the same topic. If you have new thoughts on this topic, please just post in this thread instead of creating a new thread every couple of weeks.

That is the problem, a lot of people don't read all the recent threads, it is pretty easy - even he can do it happy homer simpson GIF- it takes 5 minutes :thmup:

27 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Looks like Hot Rod might of shanked the one at the end of regulation on purpose because Campbell was going to block it again. The screen shot shows Campbell getting his hand up again.

Where is the screenshot? He should have trusted Glow to get his block better vs Campbell and hit it the same way. I felt it would have worked. Have to trust your teammates. A QB doesn't give up on his OL once they let 1 or 2 pressures come through, he still continues to trust them, the same way.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Where is the screenshot? He should have trusted Glow to get his block better vs Campbell and hit it the same way. I felt it would have worked. Have to trust your teammates. A QB doesn't give up on his OL once they let 1 or 2 pressures come through, he still continues to trust them, the same way.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You heard it here first we will win 5 in a row assuming Wentz, JT, Buck, and Leonard stay healthy. Lets see who is right. Not bragging but I am good at predicting games (I am 50-29 on our pick thread) and I think some people in here are losing their minds because we are 1-4 and are either trolling or just like bashing this team for fun. We missed a kick otherwise about 10 posters in here wouldn't even be in here this week Barack Obama Reaction GIF

If that’s what you think then you haven’t actually been reading what those 10 posters have been posting…

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I dont see how its giving up on the season though?  We are talking about putting Nelson at LT, you will have to explain how that is conceding the year

Edit, you must be talking about Fisher.  I dont get the loyalty towards him.  He has been hurt/bad/ on the injury report most of the year.  If he plays like this when hes healthy then we dont want him back, if he is hurt than that is a great reason to try Q there.

Season could be lost by the time Fisher is healthy/ playing well.  I think waiting until then is the backwards way to do it.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I have, fire Reich - he sucks as a play caller, Ballard is overrated, this is just like the Grigson/Chuck era. I have read, I read it all and it is old.

Clearly you haven’t…

But at least we’re beating the bad teams right?200.gif

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will take that bet  and i will be overjoyed if you win, but it seems like we can only play one half of a game i'm thinking going forward with these 5 games coming up that we will have a slow start and the D will adjust in the 2nd half but will be too little too late and we lose 3 of them

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont see how its giving up on the season though?  We are talking about putting Nelson at LT, you will have to explain how that is conceding the year

Edit, you must be talking about Fisher.  I dont get the loyalty towards him.  He has been hurt/bad/ on the injury report most of the year.  If he plays like this when hes healthy then we dont want him back, if he is hurt than that is a great reason to try Q there.

Season could be lost by the time Fisher is healthy/ playing well.  I think waiting until then is the backwards way to do it.  

thank you. this is the best post to explain what i'm trying to say

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

They don’t want Q at left tackle.  If they did they would have started the season with him there and started Reed at LG.  They are counting on Fisher recovering and being our LT in the future.  They are letting him play himself back into form.  Simple as that really.  It wouldn’t be the first time a player has been allowed to do that.  Especially a player of Fishers caliber.  Q returning will accelerate that goal.  Pryor will hold the fort until Smith returns.  This strategy will not cost us the season.  It just might save the season.  We are almost there.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Please move ruf to left tackle or at least give him or her a lengthy time out.

40 minutes ago, ruf said:

I will take that bet  and i will be overjoyed if you win, but it seems like we can only play one half of a game i'm thinking going forward with these 5 games coming up that we will have a slow start and the D will adjust in the 2nd half but will be too little too late and we lose 3 of them

Oh...i want in on that bet!

10 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Please move ruf to left tackle or at least give him or her a lengthy time out.

lol i could maybe even do a better job at 68 and 155 lbs. at least i would be fast enough to get in the de way to at least stop a strip sack

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have to agree that this entire “shuffle the O-Line” discussion is premature, but it’s not foolish to believe it could eventually happen. But first:

1. Let’s agree that Q stays a Colt and gets paid. 

2. Fisher needs a full season of work under his belt to show if he can handle the LT job moving forward. It’s too soon to know. 

2. Reed needs to be evaluated on a full season of work as well. He is the key to any discussion about moving Q to LT. 

3. The Colts DO need to upgrade talent at other positions, chief among them CB,  LB, S, and TE. Some of these upgrades will need to be free agents.

4. Paying Q AND a LT is going to severely pinch the Colts cap. Which is why a move to LT by Q may make sense at the end of the day, given the other team needs that require an outlay of cash. 

5. In a perfect world, you don’t move Q. But my guess is, in the end, this season will be disappointing, and a more significant talent upgrade will be required to be competitive, especially on D. That means, despite Ballard’s preference to build through the draft,  a few FA’s will be signed, and the cost of that may require Q to move to LT in order to afford the additional talent needed. Even IF Fisher regains his mojo. 

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bold prediction here but I think we win our next 5 games assuming no other key injuries. I know our pass defense is bad right now but overall I think our O is coming together, it looked good on Monday and our O.Line even looked good without Q. Here is the key though, every QB we play in the next 5 weeks is far from elite which should help our secondary:

Houston = Mills

at 49'ers = possibly Lance, Jimmy G is far from elite as well

Tennessee = Tannehill is good but Lamar is great

NY Jets = Wilson

Jacks = Lawrence, still green and they stink as a team.

Should we win 5 in a row, probably. Will we... confidence is not high

Houston - I can see Mills having a personal best type of day.... Sure we should win, but our pass D stinks

49ers - arguably the best D we have played all year, and on the road out west. All losses have been close ones.

TN - historically, Tannehill doesn't have to do a ton when they win, or when they've beat us

NY Jets - no reason why we shouldn't win

Jax - we always seem to lay a hot steaming pile once a year vs Jax... Would not be surprised to see Lawrence get his first win... 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It may be the perfect year,  but it's not the perfect time.   Not until we're officially eliminated.   At that point, we can do some experimenting.    If CB, FR and Q want to do it,  then I'm fine.  

Logically speaking, RT and LG are functioning with Pryor and Reed at a much higher level that Fisher is at LT. 

So regardless of timing, it might be logical to try and address LT as soon as Smith or Q gets back to health, if Fisher is still struggling.

Archived