Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Watt?

On 2/21/2021 at 9:40 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people keep saying Pitt because of his brothers but that will be almost impossible, Pitt is way over the Salary Cap as in 30,000,000 over.

Mutual interest is there.  Out of the few teams with interest and cap space we are his best chance at a SB.  I bet he's a Colt by the end of the week. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I'm wondering if J.J. would consider the Bucs. They are a super bowl team after all, and possibly his best chance for a ring. 

Could they even afford him if they resign Godwin and Barrett? 

I don't know why more people aren't considering Von Miller. I know he's coming off a very bad injury but if he's rehabilitated, 100% healthy, and will be ready for training camp then sign him. When the report of him being investigated by Denver police, it didn't give any details on why he was being investigated. 

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Mutual interest is there.  Out of the few teams with interest and cap space we are his best chance at a SB.  I bet he's a Colt by the end of the week. 

Huh? Other teams who have expressed interest are Browns, Bills, and Packers. Others have but there are 3 teams with a very good potential at a SB and many would say 2 for sure over the Colts. 

The interesting thing is that we have the 4th most cap space.... and WE will have to count our pennies to bring in ONE high quality FA (We have a few of our own that need resigned)

In the past 5 years, Watt has had 1.5 Sacks in  2016, ZERO sacks in 2017, 16 sacks in 2018, 4 sacks in 2019, 5 sacks in 2020

He is well past his prime......  he is much more likely to get 4 or 5 sacks than 12-15.

In a perfect world, Id like to have Watt, but I think DE is an area we DO need a performer if we are

going to spend the FA $

At a REALLY cheap price, of course there should be interest...... 

But SOMEONE on the 2021 team needs to be able to apply pressure and get some sacks....

Or KC will eat our lunch

Today, at DE, we have unproven and aging talent. There isnt a 10 sack guy at DE on this current roster

This draft has some excellent LT candidates. 

I would go LT, TE, CB in the draft

I would spend the limited FA cash on a pass rushing DE

Watt is no longer the difference maker that he once was......

If I had ONE choice at FA defensive end.... he wouldnt be it 

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The interesting thing is that we have the 4th most cap space.... and WE will have to count our pennies to bring in ONE high quality FA (We have a few of our own that need resigned)

In the past 5 years, Watt has had 1.5 Sacks in  2016, ZERO sacks in 2017, 16 sacks in 2018, 4 sacks in 2019, 5 sacks in 2020

He is well past his prime......  he is much more likely to get 4 or 5 sacks than 12-15.

In a perfect world, Id like to have Watt, but I think DE is an area we DO need a performer if we are

going to spend the FA $

At a REALLY cheap price, of course there should be interest...... 

But SOMEONE on the 2021 team needs to be able to apply pressure and get some sacks....

Or KC will eat our lunch

Today, at DE, we have unproven and aging talent. There isnt a 10 sack guy at DE on this current roster

This draft has some excellent LT candidates. 

I would go LT, TE, CB in the draft

I would spend the limited FA cash on a pass rushing DE

Watt is no longer the difference maker that he once was......

If I had ONE choice at FA defensive end.... he wouldnt be it 

Watt was the most double teamed player last year and is top 2 or 3 every year. He played a 3-4 scheme. Put him in our 4-3 front and if they double him it frees up others. Buckner is the guy getting doubled now and still had great pressure rate and 9.5 sacks. Watt would be able to have a good year IMO. Better than you are saying. 

I do agree though that with the money we have we will need to be more frugal which prices out of Watt. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Watt was the most double teamed player last year and is top 2 or 3 every year. He played a 3-4 scheme. Put him in our 4-3 front and if they double him it frees up others. Buckner is the guy getting doubled now and still had great pressure rate and 9.5 sacks. Watt would be able to have a good year IMO. Better than you are saying. 

Ultimately you may be right. I would LOVE to have Watt on this team....

He might have a good year.  I think you would agree that there is at least some significant risk, looking at his last 5 years.

IMHO he is a risky, high cost FA pick up.

Because of age, injury history, less performance..... he would be someone that I would stay away from... unless he can be had on the cheap

39 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I do agree though that with the money we have we will need to be more frugal which prices out of Watt. 

On top of being double teamed the most he was able to get a very high number of pressures last year.  Maybe the most in the league.  Next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I think we have a good chance of signing him because of our situation and cap space.  The other teams you mentioned have their own players they need to sign and some very good ones and cap space is tight for them.   I really like our chances and he will not command big dollars like the other ER's in FA.  I can see Ballard giving him a Houston type contract.  2yrs. 12m per.  That leaves plenty for another WR or an OL. 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ultimately you may be right. I would LOVE to have Watt on this team....

He might have a good year.  I think you would agree that there is at least some significant risk, looking at his last 5 years.

IMHO he is a risky, high cost FA pick up.

Because of age, injury history, less performance..... he would be someone that I would stay away from... unless he can be had on the cheap

I don’t disagree at all. I mean you are paying for someone that could miss half the season with a back injury. But the upside is there as well. Him and Buckner not being doubled and both getting 10+ sacks is there as well. Possibilities are endless. 

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

On top of being double teamed the most he was able to get a very high number of pressures last year.  Maybe the most in the league.  Next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I think we have a good chance of signing him because of our situation and cap space.  The other teams you mentioned have their own players they need to sign and some very good ones and cap space is tight for them.   I really like our chances and he will not command big dollars like the other ER's in FA.  I can see Ballard giving him a Houston type contract.  2yrs. 12m per.  That leaves plenty for another WR or an OL. 

Hey if he wants to be here and agrees to a 2 year 12 mil per that would be awesome. 

18 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I don't know why more people aren't considering Von Miller. I know he's coming off a very bad injury but if he's rehabilitated, 100% healthy, and will be ready for training camp then sign him. When the report of him being investigated by Denver police, it didn't give any details on why he was being investigated. 

He is/was being investigated for domestic violence. The injury plus the looming investigation should be enough to scare most teams away, and I think it completely takes us out of any potential pursuit.

To me, this is a better version of the Houston acquisition.  If you can do it, do it.  He can still play, plus brings intangibles and leadership, and it certainly doesn't hurt that it would energize the fan base and sell tickets.  

I think I cracked JJ’s cryptic tweet!

he tweeted:

“Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.”

Mitochondria has the same amount of letters as Indianapolis! Plus, the Colts have been the powerhouse of the AFC South throughout his whole career! 

If he cant beat us, join us right!???:thmup:

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Not surprised.  I said it earlier in this thread.  I bet he's a Colt by the end of the week.  

There is definitely nothing holding it back, he can be signed at anytime, doesn't have to wait till FA starts.

12 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

he tweeted:

Mitochondria has the same amount of letters as Indianapolis! Plus, the Colts have been the powerhouse of the AFC South throughout his whole career! 

Congratulations!  You cracked the code.  People in Buffalo thinks it's Buffalobills.  Same amount of letters.  But your explanation hit the nail on the head.  And Jason Spear's tweet also points in that direction.  Watt is a high priority for Ballard.  I think he is going to join us.  

Word is that it's down to Buffalo , Tenn and Cleveland. Also read that there is an offer for around 16 million on the table. I have a hard time believing the Colts would spend that kind of money on JJ as he's getting up there in age . Plus you have the injury history. 

On 2/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, IndyEric07 said:

he tweeted:

Powerhouse of the AFC South??

....we haven't won the division since 2014.

3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

I'd rather spend that money on a high quality OT, like Trent Williams, if he's not tagged..

I can't get past the argument that they won't spend that much money on the offensive line with contracts for Kelly, Nelson and Smith either signed or on the way. I think they have to go with a rookie at tackle.

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Powerhouse of the AFC South??

....we haven't won the division since 2014.

Actually if you look at the entire picture since the divisions got re-aligned in 2002 we would be the only team out of the 4 teams (others being the Texans, Titans, and Jags) that have even been relevant. Those other teams have never even played in a SB (Titans did in 1999) but I am talking since the AFC South was formed. We have been to 2 SB's and won 1. No other teams have ever been scared of the Texans, Titans, or Jags I would be safe to say but when we had Peyton that were scared poopless to face us and even when we had a healthy Luck teams were scared as well. In 2018 when we won the playoff game at Houston with Luck that showed everyone that we were the better team when healthy. Houston was loaded that season with Watson, Hopkins, Watt, and Clowney and the game was over at halftime with Luck healthy.

As long as we make the playoffs it doesn't even bother me that we don't win the division. A lot of teams that win their division stink it up in the playoffs. I would rather make a Title Game or a SB than win my division if I had to choose between the choices. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually if you look at the entire picture since the divisions got re-aligned in 2002 we would be the only team out of the 4 teams (others being the Texans, Titans, and Jags) that have even been relevant. Those other teams have never even played in a SB (Titans did in 1999) but I am talking since the AFC South was formed. We have been to 2 SB's and won 1. No other teams have ever been scared of the Texans, Titans, or Jags I would be safe to say but when we had Peyton that were scared poopless to face us and even when we had a healthy Luck teams were scared as well. In 2018 when we won the playoff game at Houston with Luck that showed everyone that we were the better team when healthy. Houston was loaded that season with Watson, Hopkins, Watt, and Clowney and the game was over at halftime with Luck healthy.

As long as we make the playoffs it doesn't even bother me that we don't win the division. A lot of teams that win their division stink it up in the playoffs. I would rather make a Title Game or a SB than win my division if I had to choose between the choices. 

I would say the AFC South doesn't really have a 'powerhouse ' in the last decade or so. 

The Titans have been the Best team the last 2 seasons and the Texans were the team before them.

We certainly haven't done too well since the first 3 seasons of Luck. I think only 2 winning seasons and 2 wild card appearances and 1 playoff win since then. That's not what I call a powerhouse. 

Now of course if we go back to the Peyton, Dungy, and Polian days we were elite. Are expectations were nothing less than a Super Bowl !!!

Watching our offense with Peyton,  marvin, Reggie, and company was like watching Babe Ruth and his murders row lineup.

Yeah disappointing only 2 super bowls and winning only one of them BUT they were a awesome joy to watch for over a decade and gave us tons of enjoyment that will probably never be repeated.

Most wins ever in a Decade.

That's a Powerhouse. 

Archived