Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Losing Sunday has its advantages

danlhart87

54 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

It’s interesting how bad execution can turn into bad “play calling”. A tackle misses a block or a receiver drops a ball and we automatically blame Reich for his play calling. Are there things he would have done differently, having the benefit of a “20-20” perspective? No doubt. But lack of execution plays into our “assessment” of how good a play caller he is.

Isn't the exact opposite true? A terrible offensive play call made good because a defender misses a tackle in the backfield, a running back breaks 5 tackles or a cornerback drops a surefire interception that lands into the wide receivers hands?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming off a pandemic year with little to show for with ticket sales and revenue, Irsay would not look favorably on another year without a playoff appearance.

That would make it 1 in 4 years instead of 2 in 4 years for Ballard. .500 looks far better than .250 to a fan base to get them to invest in season tickets next year. :2c:

15 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

This team is way too talanted and capable of beating anyone to fold. I rather play with a winning mentality and go for it all than to loose for a better pick.

We just need to stay balanced on BOTH sides of the both.  Pass/run for 4 quarters, sprinkle in some blitzes every quarter, not just one half.....

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I'd take making the playoffs over draft position every time.  

Especially since whatever minor upside there is to losing to the Jags would be to keep them from Lawrence. Too late. Honestly, as a psychological matter, I'm just not a fan of the "win by losing" logic. 

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'd take making the playoffs over draft position every time.  

Agreed!  The Colts didn't sign Philip Rivers & trade for DeForest Buckner so they could pursue a higher draft pick, they did it to pursue a championship and you can't do that without making the playoffs. :lombardi:

This feels like being in a relationship that has a possibility of failure looming over it.........and you call an old girlfriend (or boyfriend), to see if they're availble.............you know...................in case it does actually fail. 

Succinctly? This talk feels slutty to me. 

35 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

The Colts didn't sign Philip Rivers & trade for DeForest Buckner so they could pursue a higher draft pick,

i think some people were hoping for the other route instead of signing but obviously rivers but that ship has sailed.  i think the chances of him being our QB next year are pretty high too.  It wont be easy for Eason or a rookie to take his spot

38 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just saw the updated draft order. It’s crazy we’ve could go 11-5 and be one spot ahead of Washington. 18 puts us in a great spot for a LT or a mid first round QB. Easier to move up too. Still would rather make the playoffs.

The East winner could draft around 20 to 25 and losers could draft top 12

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I nominate "Losing Sunday has its advantages" for the dumbest thread of the year given the situation.... 

I get the never ending attempt to be "positive", but dumb is dumb.

All I'm saying is don't completely overreact if Colts are eliminated which is very possible at this point given our chances. 

Some assume I want us to lose. I think ultimately Colts don't make it but I also see a very good opportunity to get good players. 

There's nothing wrong with trying to see the positive. Better that than the cockroaches that come out every single time Colts lose.

19 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

All I'm saying is don't completely overreact if Colts are eliminated which is very possible at this point given our chances. 

Some assume I want us to lose. I think ultimately Colts don't make it but I also see a very good opportunity to get good players. 

There's nothing wrong with trying to see the positive. Better that than the cockroaches that come out every single time Colts lose.

Goal post, moved! And to be honest, why are we trying to police something that's basically natural? Football fan is unhappy when things don't go right, and missing the playoffs at what we're assuming will be 11-5 (2-5 in the last 7 vs. the Jags) if it happens is going to be highly unique version of suck-y outcome.

22 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Being upset when your team loses is a natural part of fandom. The majority don't want to hear someone diminish the impact of a loss, or be told to look at the bright side, especially on a crucial playoff impacting loss. Most could give zero sheets about moving up a couple draft slots.

You're extreme positivity posts are just as batsheet crazy as some of the extreme negative posts to most of the fans in the middle. 

The odds still say we make the playoffs. If we beat the Jags, I believe the odds have us at 93% in right now.

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Being upset when your team loses is a natural part of fandom. The majority don't want to hear someone diminish the impact of a loss, or be told to look at the bright side, especially on a crucial playoff impacting loss. Most could give zero sheets about moving up a couple draft slots.

You're extreme positivity posts are just as batsheet crazy as some of the extreme negative posts to most of the fans in the middle. 

The odds still say we make the playoffs. If we beat the Jags, I believe the odds have us at 93% in right now.

There's nothing wrong with being upset. I am talking about the posters who post threads about firing Ballard or Reich or completely getting rid of Rivers after 1 game.

Bottom line is I look at things with a bright side no matter how negative things go. Colts could lose 41 to 0 and I would be sad but I am certainly not gonna spend the whole day upset over something I have no control over. 

People complain all the time and sometimes its justifiable but others complain it seems just to stir the pot.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

IF we play hard but still go 0-2 vs the Jaguars, I would fire Frank Reich because the losses to the Jaguars would be our reasons we didn't make the playoffs, it is a big IF though. However, like Herm Edwards said, you play to win the game.

I'll ask again then

If Colts were to fire Reich who would replace him?

I have asked this about 3 times already this past week and nobody has given an answer.

People are so quick to rush to judgement without thinking of possible replacements.

BTW I am fine firing him if need be but Ballard needs to be kept at all costs.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Shouldn't we wait until they actually are eliminated before we start to look at silver-linings.  Seems a bit premature. 

20 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Hear me out

Making the playoffs is the first choice cause its a whole new ballgame once you get there but a lot of very good players are going top 20.

I am afraid being in the 25 onward range we are gonna miss some key opportunities to go out and improve the future of the squad.

Losing sucks especially when you have a chance at the playoffs but the Colts would be in a great spot come draft time. 

I trust Ballard completely and could see a number of options at 18.

He could take best available QB at 18 and prepare him behind Rivers to start in 22 or he could take best available OT DE.

He could even do what we expect and trade down with a team desperate for a QB. Saints might come offer good picks to move up. Its looking like Brees doesn't have much left.

Just remember in the end after Week 17 no matter the outcome playoffs or not there is always a silver lining. 

Look at the glass half full if you will!

I’m sorry but I personally am really tired of losing to the Jags

Nobody wants to miss the playoffs. But maybe this will actually turn out the way it was supposed to. We end up with a great record and a good season but also get a really good draft pick. There are quite a few teams drafting high that got their QB last season that might be willing to trade. Chargers, Bengals, dolphins. Do the giants stick with jones. The broncos love Lock. So if someone is there we really love we should be able to get them.  Draft the guy and give him a year behind Rivers. 

43 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'll ask again then

If Colts were to fire Reich who would replace him?

I have asked this about 3 times already this past week and nobody has given an answer.

People are so quick to rush to judgement without thinking of possible replacements.

BTW I am fine firing him if need be but Ballard needs to be kept at all costs.

I like Reich a lot and thinks he’s a good coach. Is he a Super Bowl-caliber Coach? Maybe, maybe not. But then, who is available that is a coach of that quality? I don’t suppose The Hoodie would be too interested in coaching us lol

57 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

There's nothing wrong with being upset. I am talking about the posters who post threads about firing Ballard or Reich or completely getting rid of Rivers after 1 game.

Bottom line is I look at things with a bright side no matter how negative things go. Colts could lose 41 to 0 and I would be sad but I am certainly not gonna spend the whole day upset over something I have no control over. 

People complain all the time and sometimes its justifiable but others complain it seems just to stir the pot.

Like I said, those that go off the deep end on either side are annoying, either side (positive or neg). I don't mind negativity if it's backed up by factual evidence. In this case, there's enough factual/statistical evidence and history to have concerns about Reich. The ones T'ing off on Rivers and Ballard however, are mostly void of fact or common sense. 

And no, if we get blown out, you won't spend the whole day being upset, but you'll certainly spend plenty of time telling others not to be upset and preaching. That also stirs the pot. It certainly doesn't help, and won't change anyone's mind.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

That seems odd to me.  

Ravens, Browns and Titans are all favored big.   The Dolphins are only at +1.5.

20 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

It’s amazing how tightlipped this franchise is about Eason. We didn’t have a preseason or training camp to watch him but you have to wonder if he going to be our next QB or just fade away

Yes, it's very interesting I hope he's in line to take starter position. Because he has great talent but can it translate to the NFL level only time will tell and again the whole thing will be interesting for sure.  

13 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I like Reich a lot and thinks he’s a good coach. Is he a Super Bowl-caliber Coach? Maybe, maybe not. But then, who is available that is a coach of that quality? I don’t suppose The Hoodie would be too interested in coaching us lol

I agree

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, those that go off the deep end on either side are annoying, either side (positive or neg). I don't mind negativity if it's backed up by factual evidence. In this case, there's enough factual/statistical evidence and history to have concerns about Reich. The ones T'ing off on Rivers and Ballard however, are mostly void of fact or common sense. 

And no, if we get blown out, you won't spend the whole day being upset, but you'll certainly spend plenty of time telling others not to be upset and preaching. That also stirs the pot. It certainly doesn't help, and won't change anyone's mind.

This forum goes off the deep after a regular season loss. If we lose Sunday this place is gonna go off like a bomb. 

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Nobody wants to miss the playoffs. But maybe this will actually turn out the way it was supposed to. We end up with a great record and a good season but also get a really good draft pick. There are quite a few teams drafting high that got their QB last season that might be willing to trade. Chargers, Bengals, dolphins. Do the giants stick with jones. The broncos love Lock. So if someone is there we really love we should be able to get them.  Draft the guy and give him a year behind Rivers. 

How do we know that Jacob Eason isn't the guy? The coaching staff thinks enough of him to keep him on the 53 vice tempting fate by adding him to the practice squad, so they must see something in him. With a backup like Brissett, it makes sense to keep Eason on the shelf but this is probably just a 1 year situation, I'll be surprised if Jacoby is resigned. Next year we could have Jacob as the #2, with a year of NFL experience under his belt and backing up an NFL Ironman so it's not likely he'll be pressed into playing, it'll most likely be mop up duty during blowouts, kneel downs, ect.

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

That seems odd to me.  

Ravens, Browns and Titans are all favored big.   The Dolphins are only at +1.5.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nfl-predictions/

Current odds of us getting in is 83%. Goes up to 92% if we beat the Jags. We are currently 14pt favs (most of any of the relevant teams).

Dolphins 69% (+1), Titans 95% (-7.5), Ravens 92% (-11.5), Browns 62% (-7).

Alone, they are all favs, likely to make the playoffs, but the odds of all of them winning/making the playoffs are only about 37%. The 538 odds may not be updated to include Ben being out, but even then, it would be under 50% IMO.

Just now, Lancer1 said:

How do we know that Jacob Eason isn't the guy? The coaching staff thinks enough of him to keep him on the 53 vice tempting fate by adding him to the practice squad, so they must see something in him. With a backup like Brissett, it makes sense to keep Eason on the shelf but this is probably just a 1 year situation, I'll be surprised if Jacoby is resigned. Next year we could have Jacob as the #2, with a year of NFL experience under his belt and backing up an NFL Ironman so it's not likely he'll be pressed into playing, it'll most likely be mop up duty during blowouts, kneel downs, ect.

We don’t. I just running through the possibilities. Will they fall in love with a QB this draft who they like more then Eason. All I am saying is there is a good opportunity there. If there is someone there.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

This forum goes off the deep after a regular season loss. If we lose Sunday this place is gonna go off like a bomb. 

you go off the opposite end as much. 

if we lose Sunday, people will rightfully be unhappy given the context of this year. and EVERY NFL Team board would do the same. Again, have you ever been on another fan board? You act like this is some great mystery. It's the norm..... Nothing you preach will change any of it. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We don’t. I just running through the possibilities. Will they fall in love with a QB this draft who they like more then Eason. All I am saying is there is a good opportunity there. If there is someone there.

True, and there will also be some young QBs who are currently on other NFL teams that can be acquired.

2 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Establish a winning culture and a lot of problems solve themselves. Outside of Kansas City, there isn’t a juggernaut in the AFC. This team could very well go on a playoff run and end up in the AFC title game. A playoff run does more for this franchise than having the 18th pick instead of the 24th.

I would argue the Bills are a juggernaut, but otherwise yeah I agree, a winning culture gives you confidence, which is irreplaceable. You lose more games when you go in expecting to lose.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

you go off the opposite end as much. 

if we lose Sunday, people will rightfully be unhappy given the context of this year. and EVERY NFL Team board would do the same. Again, have you ever been on another fan board? You act like this is some great mystery. It's the norm..... Nothing you preach will change any of it. 

I've always thought getting all bent out of shape over something you have no control over doesn't help the situatiom.

No matter the result I'll be still supporting the Colts and be positive. 

Thats exactly my point though in this thread.... some people (not you) act like these games are life and death and losing is the worst.

3 hours ago, chickenMan said:

I would argue the Bills are a juggernaut, but otherwise yeah I agree, a winning culture gives you confidence, which is irreplaceable. You lose more games when you go in expecting to lose.

I would definitely say they’re the #2 team. I always feel there is a progression in the NFL and a healthy colts team can match up with just about anyone. The progression of Josh Allen from year 2 to year 3 is astounding though.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:18 PM, danlhart87 said:

Ballard isn't trading up 

Most likely he will be backup but he might surprise 

How on earth can you say Ballard isn’t trading up? If it’s Ballards guy you do everything possible to get him it’s that important!

Archived