Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers has a hurt toe.

GoColts8818

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He may even be top 20 all-time? Top 30 I can definitely buy, even top 25 which is Hall of Fame material.

Rivers is top 5 all time with over 61000 yards of passing.

Please look at the stats. Stats matter far more than opinions 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He isn't in the top 20 QB's of all-time or top 30 realistically but he is a Hall of Famer IMO and is very good at worse. I am glad we have him and yes he is tough minded and plays in pain.

Care to name 30 QBs better than Rivers all time?

1 minute ago, Anonymous said:

Care to name 30 QBs better than Rivers all time?

Scroll up, I have him in my top 30 thinking about it more. I know there at least 15 better all-time, maybe 20. I can even buy top 25 for Rivers. If you scroll up you will see some of my other posts. Who do you think was better Dan Fouts or Rivers for example, see that is tough.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Scroll up, I have him in my top 30 thinking about it more. I know there at least 15 better all-time, maybe 20. I can even buy top 25 for Rivers. If you scroll up you will see some of my other posts. Who do you think was better Dan Fouts or Rivers for example, see that is tough.

Rivers easily. Dan Fouts himself conceded that Rivers is better than him during CBS broadcasts years ago when he used to do the Chargers games.

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There have been so many greats but if someone wanted to put Rivers in the top 20 all-time I wouldn't think it would be that far of a stretch. Top 30, the more I think about it is a given. He still may play 2 or 3 more years so we will see. If a QB makes a top 50 out of 10's of thousands that have played that is even outstanding looking at it like that.

Fully agree

40 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Fair points.  But Rivers understands the game like few ever have.  He's very close to Peyton's mental level (who I consider to be top 3 all time), even if lifelong Colts fans don't want to admit it.  Unfortunately, Rivers wasted most of his career with one of the worst franchises in American sports.

Just does prove that Archie Manning was right, not wanting eli to play for the chargers. Rivers would probably have a couple rings with another team. Ex charger fan here, now on the colts bandwagon.  

2 minutes ago, prsiii said:

Just does prove that Archie Manning was right, not wanting eli to play for the chargers. Rivers would probably have a couple rings with another team. Ex charger fan here, now on the colts bandwagon.  

Welcome aboard !

6 minutes ago, prsiii said:

As much as I hate Eli Manning, and think it was a b**** move to refuse to play for Chargers, he ultimately made the right choice doing it.  Had he stuck with Chargers, he’d go down as a mediocre QB with no rings.  There are many people who don’t consider Rivers elite and his stats are far better than Eli.  Rivers carried the Chargers for years and I don’t think Eli does that.  Imagine Eli’s stats combined with a whole bunch of Charger losses.  

10 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

lol, y’all arguing over top 20/30 of all time, yet his stats for TD, Yards, completion %, and QBR put him top 10

Again stats alone don’t tell the tale because the game is more QB friendly when he played than at any other time in football history.  For example he has better numbers than Johnny U yet I am still saying Johnny U was a better QB.

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again stats alone don’t tell the tale because the game is more QB friendly when he played than at any other time in football history.  For example he has better numbers than Johnny U yet I am still saying Johnny U was a better QB.

You know I am a huge fan of yours and coltsbestevers posts.

But that is complete nonsense 

13 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

I love Rivers but you can't just go by stats when doing lists. It is all subjective so everyone has an opinion. If one went by stats only Drew Brees is the GOAT and he is not better than Peyton or Brady. I have seen Dan Fouts play live and in 1980 and 1981 he played at a level that Peyton played at. Fouts would never say he was the best Chargers QB to play, he is too modest. Statistically Rivers was better but eye test is huge too. 

45 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

No it’s not.  Johnny U is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.  Rivers is one of the best of his era.

Here are some random lists Johnny U is on the top five on all but one which only ranked QBs who played after 1978 and none include Rivers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18581054/greatest-quarterbacks-all-ranking-john-clayton-picks-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-best-nfl-qb-ever

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20096209/nfl-coaches-execs-rank-best-quarterbacks-modern-era-2017

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-25-quarterbacks-of-all-time-patriots-tom-brady-leads-list-0ap3000001035041

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726739-the-top-10-quarterbacks-of-all-time

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/27/nfl-top-10-quarterbacks-tom-brady-joe-montana-john-elway

The only people who think rivers is top 10 all time are Chargers fans.  People else where question if he’s a hall of famer.  I think he is no doubt he is but others not so much 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/05/07/making-nfl-hall-fame-case-for-against-colts-qb-philip-rivers/5095024002/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815623-is-philip-rivers-a-hall-of-famer

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/is-philip-rivers-a-hall-of-famer

https://www.yahoo.com/now/is-philip-rivers-a-hall-of-famer-his-2020-could-go-a-long-way-toward-determining-that-234555935.html

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/articles/da-chargers-philip-rivers-not-worthy-of-hall-of-fame

4 hours ago, PrNum1 said:

Rivers is top 5 all time with over 61000 yards of passing.

Please look at the stats. Stats matter far more than opinions 

Let me ask you this to see if you are consistent.

Joe Montana is ranked 21st all time in passing yards with 40,551. Do you think he's not a top 20 QB all-time? You have to look at more than just stats. It ESPECIALLY favors the modern day QB and the newer passing rules.

7 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

As much as I hate Eli Manning, and think it was a b**** move to refuse to play for Chargers, he ultimately made the right choice doing it.  Had he stuck with Chargers, he’d go down as a mediocre QB with no rings.  There are many people who don’t consider Rivers elite and his stats are far better than Eli.  Rivers carried the Chargers for years and I don’t think Eli does that.  Imagine Eli’s stats combined with a whole bunch of Charger losses.  

I dont consider Eli elite even with those two rings.  He was a top half QB for most of his career and was a good match when the Giants had a killer defense and a strong running game.  Had a really good career but I don’t consider him HOF material.  He will probably make it bc his last name is NFL royalty.  

Some fans a month ago - I would rather have Cam or Dalton than Rivers lmao . There is a reason why we have Ballard So Excited Reaction GIF. So glad we signed Rivers and I always thought he would be at least good with the team we have. I do find it entertaining that we still bring in the king of 3rd and 4th and 1's = Jacoby. This team has unreal chemistry and leadership. They all know their role and accept it. The young defensive players we have seem to feed of each other especially in crunch time. This is the best all-around team we have had in a long time. I think it is better than 2018. 

Cam and the Pats will be sitting at home in January watching the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Let me ask you this to see if you are consistent.

Joe Montana is ranked 21st all time in passing yards with 40,551. Do you think he's not a top 20 QB all-time? You have to look at more than just stats. It ESPECIALLY favors the modern day QB and the newer passing rules.

Good points.   Career total stats are not what puts you above other QB's all the time.  Manning, Marino and Young are the best I've ever seen play.  

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some fans a month ago - I would rather have Cam or Dalton than Rivers lmao . There is a reason why we have Ballard So Excited Reaction GIF. So glad we signed Rivers and I always thought he would be at least good with the team we have. I do find it entertaining that we still bring in the king of 3rd and 4th and 1's = Jacoby. This team has unreal chemistry and leadership. They all know their role and accept it. The young defensive players we have seem to feed of each other especially in crunch time. This is the best all-around team we have had in a long time. I think it is better than 2018. 

Cam and the Pats will be sitting at home in January watching the playoffs.

I for the record wanted Rivers when I knew he was hitting FA and defended him here.  

I think a big problem is that people expected Rivers to be on Manning or Luck's level.  

14 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Rivers will play next week no doubt.

But here's a question for all the haters...

How confident do you feel if we had to roll with Brissett next week against the Titans?  Exactly.

I don't feel confident playing Brissett against anybody....I wish the dude would just go away.

Archived