Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ride the Jonathan Taylor train!

rockywoj

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

It was effective for two plays and that’s it.  That’s not an effective day.  That’s two good plays.  Curtis Painter could have two effective plays in a game would you have called him an effective QB?

When the QB puts the ball in the air 44 times the RB is not going to have a lot to work with. 

Just saying.

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Like that rookie wall that AP hit?  Or so many other great RBs that went on to have stellar rookie years hit?  

I think such concerns are an illusion. When you have a stud, you work him!

Hey congratulations, you found an exception to the rule. Good job champ :thmup:

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

When the QB puts the ball in the air 44 times the RB is not going to have a lot to work with. 

Just saying.

I don’t disagree with that but let’s not pretend when he gets 16 carries and out side of two runs has little to no yards the rest of the day running that it was working.

I see quite a few people irked about how little we used Taylor and I totally understand where that is coming from. That said... I think showing we can air it out and win was equally as big a deal is it would have been to give Taylor more of the workshare. Before Cincy our passing games was just not getting it done. This, I hope, gives our passing game life that we can carry into this upcoming difficult stretch. I really hope we can get Pittman back and involved too.

5 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

I see quite a few people irked about how little we used Taylor and I totally understand where that is coming from. That said... I think showing we can air it out and win was equally as big a deal is it would have been to give Taylor more of the workshare. Before Cincy our passing games was just not getting it done. This, I hope, gives our passing game life that we can carry into this upcoming difficult stretch. I really hope we can get Pittman back and involved too.

Not to mention a couple of games like this from Rivers will force teams to stop sitting on the run which will open things up for Taylor.

16 hours ago, Zoltan said:

My only guess, is that they are limiting his carries (because it seems he's always around 12) so he doesn't hit that rookie wall at the end of the season, just like how the Chiefs brought in Bell so there rookie doesn't get overused and hits the wall during december/playoffs. Otherwise I have no idea why

Quoted for Truth. 

The guy is a rookie and he still shows he has a lot to learn in the NFL.  The plan was to have him get about 12-15 touches per game and Mack to get 10-15 touches per game.  Just because Mack got injured does not mean they have to give a rookie a heavier load before he's ready for it.

He looked good out of the backfield.  Had a nice off tackle run that salvaged the running game.

That was in the late 3rd Q if I remember.  Before that run and the run around the end the next play, the running game was dreadful.

Indy had been trying to run the ball.  People are asking to run the ball more, but we tried to run on 4 or 5 drives that were 3 and outs.  With the exception of the 2 plays in a row with 2 minutes in the 3rd, they could not, despite trying, run the ball.  

So when you look at number of rush attempts and say we didn't run much, it gives a false sense of play calling.  

The three and outs featured at either 2 ineffective runs or an ineffective 1st down runs.

You can't run when you can't run and Indy could not run the ball at all until late in the 3rd despite trying to on most of the drives.

The beauty of that past game was Wilkins got 1 carry and Hines got 0. I know the running game wasn't in the game script due to being down so much but its nice for the coaches to realize when we desperately need points, JT is the one that needs to be in the game. 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:37 PM, Zoltan said:

My only guess, is that they are limiting his carries (because it seems he's always around 12) so he doesn't hit that rookie wall at the end of the season, just like how the Chiefs brought in Bell so there rookie doesn't get overused and hits the wall during december/playoffs. Otherwise I have no idea why

This is the reason. If Taylor peters out near the important part of the season were in huge trouble. We cannot afford to get him injured.

He looks fine.  I'm not worried about him.  Sure, at times it looks like he could zig when maybe there's a big hole if he zags, but otherwise he is performing well.  I think he's just trying to get himself established and create some rhythm with his OL and QB.  Once he gets more experience and more comfortable I have no doubt that elite vision will come and he'll break off some long ones when he gets into high gear like he did at Whiskey.  But his tough inside running and yac are already next level IMHO.

I would love to try to keep Taylor as fresh as possible for the fourth quarter (Especially if the Colts are ahead) but without Mack, the Colts don't really have someone who they feel comfortable carrying the load in the first three quarters. Taylor is a beast, and I wouldn't care if he got 25 carries a game. He's also a beast in the passing game. I'm still waiting for him to break a big one for a TD though. Hopefully it comes next week against Detroit.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, AustinnKaine said:

Remember when we were down 21-0? 

If you had to count, on probably just one hand, how many teams run the ball down 21-0? 

And even if they are running, is it very often? I'd say just maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe I am just on Mars somewhere sipping Bengal juice. 

It was still the first Quarter.  There was plenty of time to slow the game down.

2 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

It was still the first Quarter.  There was plenty of time to slow the game down.

Why slow the game down and reduce the number of possessions when you are down 3 scores? It may have been early but the game dictated the need to score often and quickly. There was no guarantee that the defense would make the stops when it mattered, based off the game at that point. Even if they had established a ground game... it likely would have took valuable time off the clock. 

3 minutes ago, life long said:

Why slow the game down and reduce the number of possessions when you are down 3 scores? It may have been early but the game dictated the need to score often and quickly. There was no guarantee that the defense would make the stops when it mattered, based off the game at that point. Even if they had established a ground game... it likely would have took valuable time off the clock. 

Keeping Cincy's offense off the field.  It could work.  Just a thought,  though I'm sure many on here will disagree.  We also didn't run much when we had the lead,  left time on the clock,  and gave Cincy a chance to come back. 

14 hours ago, indykmj said:

Taylor doesn't appear to 'play' like a 4.38 guy. 

Taylor explodes in open field and runs away from defenders, we have seen it in pass plays often so far but he also runs people over which many 4.38 guys dont so in that sense no he plays more rugged than most do

For someone who (sorta) controversially called for RB early in the draft and was ecstatic when we snagged JT, I've been very disappointed in him thus far. He is just not seeing it or getting there fast enough right now. I verbatim said in a post, "A run that Mack would take for 5, JT would turn into 12", and now I'm seeing him miss holes that Mack would bust through :( I was 99 percent sure he was ready to dominate day 1. I was wrong. It's probably just a confidence/decisiveness thing that will improve. 

I don't have a huge issue with his carries, but I think we should be throwing it to him more.

7 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

For someone who (sorta) controversially called for RB early in the draft and was ecstatic when we snagged JT, I've been very disappointed in him thus far. He is just not seeing it or getting there fast enough right now. I verbatim said in a post, "A run that Mack would take for 5, JT would turn into 12", and now I'm seeing him miss holes that Mack would bust through :( I was 99 percent sure he was ready to dominate day 1. I was wrong. It's probably just a confidence/decisiveness thing that will improve. 

I don't have a huge issue with his carries, but I think we should be throwing it to him more.

I wouldn't be too disappointed.  There are several factors here, not the least of which him being thrust into the starting role 1st half of Game 1.  But he is a rook, which means he's a work in progress.  Heck even Blackmon, who everybody is slobbering over, is still a work in progress.  We just don't have a large enough body of work to say he is going to be _____.  I agree, he is missing some yards out there.  But as I stated above, I think some of that is he is just trying to establish a rhythm, find cohesion with his OL and the QB, remembering the playbook, etc.  I think he is just trying to run where the play is designed right now, maybe even being coached to do so.  None of these rooks even had a pre-season.  These things take time no matter how much we fans want them to come out and dominate week 1.  It just very rarely happens.

But the talent is there.  You can't coach speed and toughness and his yac has been one of the best in the league thus far.  And remember when everyone was questioning his receiving skills?  Not been a problem thus far.  Same with the fumbling issues.  I'm glad we have Rathman here, he is a great teacher and motivator for this RB group, and I think he will continue to develop Taylor's skills.  I would love to have Mack back but we will all just have to see on that.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, life long said:

Which is why teams don’t do that down three score.  Just building off your point.

7 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed.  There are several factors here, not the least of which him being thrust into the starting role 1st half of Game 1.  But he is a rook, which means he's a work in progress.  Heck even Blackmon, who everybody is slobbering over, is still a work in progress.  We just don't have a large enough body of work to say he is going to be _____.  I agree, he is missing some yards out there.  But as I stated above, I think some of that is he is just trying to establish a rhythm, find cohesion with his OL and the QB, remembering the playbook, etc.  I think he is just trying to run where the play is designed right now, maybe even being coached to do so.  None of these rooks even had a pre-season.  These things take time no matter how much we fans want them to come out and dominate week 1.  It just very rarely happens.

But the talent is there.  You can't coach speed and toughness and his yac has been one of the best in the league thus far.  And remember when everyone was questioning his receiving skills?  Not been a problem thus far.  Same with the fumbling issues.  I'm glad we have Rathman here, he is a great teacher and motivator for this RB group, and I think he will continue to develop Taylor's skills.  I would love to have Mack back but we will all just have to see on that.

He has a lot of talent with Elite straight burst speed and power after contact.  He doesn’t appear to have even average talent in lateral movement or stop and go or changing gears.  

I think there is going to be a great need on this team for a back more like Mack Who is a creative runner  and there aren’t too many of those Out there,

I can see what they were going for.  JT should solve or two decade long short yardage problem.  

We have a dismal yprush.  Taylor’s game last week is a good example of his strengths and weaknesses.  He was a completely ineffective runner until two runs in the late 3q.  

People say give him more carries but you will see last week that we featured the run on several 1st half 3 and outs.  The Colts had run very few plays total until the 2nd half when they were trying to chase the score.

i am very skeptical of JT being a Bell cow.  Maybe he develops vision but right now his lack of creativity is holding the running game and the team back IMO.  He is good at a few things but so far pretty bad at others.  Even he and the staff have been talking about it lately.

he needs a complimentary back that can move laterally and change gears.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:21 AM, Nickster said:

He has a lot of talent with Elite straight burst speed and power after contact.  He doesn’t appear to have even average talent in lateral movement or stop and go or changing gears.  

I think there is going to be a great need on this team for a back more like Mack Who is a creative runner  and there aren’t too many of those Out there,

I can see what they were going for.  JT should solve or two decade long short yardage problem.  

We have a dismal yprush.  Taylor’s game last week is a good example of his strengths and weaknesses.  He was a completely ineffective runner until two runs in the late 3q.  

People say give him more carries but you will see last week that we featured the run on several 1st half 3 and outs.  The Colts had run very few plays total until the 2nd half when they were trying to chase the score.

i am very skeptical of JT being a Bell cow.  Maybe he develops vision but right now his lack of creativity is holding the running game and the team back IMO.  He is good at a few things but so far pretty bad at others.  Even he and the staff have been talking about it lately.

he needs a complimentary back that can move laterally and change gears.

I'll buy.  But I'm still keeping in mind he's played 6 NFL games, including pre-season.  He still has a lot of time to learn, grow, develop, etc.  He comes in with some natural stuff you can't teach.  Hopefully the other stuff CAN be taught to him.  And I think we should use him in short-yardage throwing more often because he seems to gain yards when used.  Hands haven't been an issue at all.  But IMHO, I don't want a bellcow.  I want a couple of studs that compliment each other.  I have always felt that is the best way to run it anyway, and it keeps the guys fresher for the post-season.  Unfortunately, Mack isn't able to show us what we could have had this year.  And who knows if he will be back?

21 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I'll buy.  But I'm still keeping in mind he's played 6 NFL games, including pre-season.  He still has a lot of time to learn, grow, develop, etc.  He comes in with some natural stuff you can't teach.  Hopefully the other stuff CAN be taught to him.  And I think we should use him in short-yardage throwing more often because he seems to gain yards when used.  Hands haven't been an issue at all.  But IMHO, I don't want a bellcow.  I want a couple of studs that compliment each other.  I have always felt that is the best way to run it anyway, and it keeps the guys fresher for the post-season.  Unfortunately, Mack isn't able to show us what we could have had this year.  And who knows if he will be back?

Yeah man.  Just about anything but an Achilles.  No guarantee he and Hooket will even walk right anymore 

Archived