Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long should River leash be? (merge)

Nesjan3

How long should Rivers leash be?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How long should Rivers leash be before Jacoby goes in?

• He is done Jacoby should start next week.
    • One more bad outing
    • Multiple more bad outings
    • He is the starter till the end
    • Other

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

True - Philip definitely committed some costly mistakes, but he's far from the only one who did: fair catching that punt inside the 5 put our backs against the wall, and like you referenced, giving up the big run on 3rd & 9 was a back breaker.

Yeah the fair catch by Hines was a very bad play. Other than the pick 6 it is hard to blame Philip for this loss. it was a team loss.

Offense continues to struggle in red zone. We need to convert the short field  into touch downs and not just field goals.  Offense is still not clicking. It is tough not having Mack, Pittman and Campbell. Offensive line is not as dominant as we thought and we have lack of depth at Tackle slot.  Rivers is a capable QB but is not an elite QB at this stage of his career. I am hopeful that we will get more of a tempo on offense that can consistently move the ball score TDs in red zone and avoid costly picks.

Defense is sound - although we seem to be soft in zone coverage.  when you look at yesterday, defense gave up 23 points. Offense is responsible for the other 9 points. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chad is sitting on his couch, give him a call :funny:

I actually wouldn't mind signing him back on the practice squad at this point. With a 5 game sample size on Rivers, it wouldn't be the worst idea to sign someone who knows the playbook. At least at the end of the year if he doesn't get called up with can have him and Eason on the active roster and can just draft or sign a 3rd QB. Kelly might be needed as a body that can compete next year honestly.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I actually wouldn't mind signing him back on the practice squad at this point. With a 5 game sample size on Rivers, it wouldn't be the worst idea to sign someone who knows the playbook. At least at the end of the year if he doesn't get called up with can have him and Eason on the active roster and can just draft or sign a 3rd QB. Kelly might be needed as a body that can compete next year honestly.

I want to see how this week goes because if we lose to Cincy that won't be pretty. That is actually a must win IMO with our remaining schedule and a prove it game for Rivers.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want to see how this week goes because if we lose to Cincy that won't be pretty. That is actually a must win IMO with our remaining schedule and a prove it game for Rivers.

Agreed. The easy part of our season ends Vs the Bengals. After that, it gets much harder. Two games Vs the Titans and a Texans team that fired Bill O' Brien. I believe we face the Ravens, Steelers, and the Packers as well. So we could easily finish the next 10 games 5-5 and go 8-8 if we lose next Sunday.

Have to get better and healthy. Luckily the bye week comes at a good time.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. The easy part of our season ends Vs the Bengals. After that, it gets much harder. Two games Vs the Titans and a Texans team that fired Bill O' Brien. I believe we face the Ravens, Steelers, and the Packers as well. So we could easily finish the next 10 games 5-5 and go 8-8 if we lose next Sunday.

Have to get better and healthy. Luckily the bye week comes at a good time.

Yeah it is a must win next Sunday no doubt. If we can get to 4-2 we will be fine.

46 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'd like to throw in an

'I told you'... AND an 'I knew it'..

Those seem popular after a loss..

And like I said last night saying I told you so on a message board doesn’t make you look smart it just makes you look like a jerk.  Not directed at you, just building off what you said.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is a must win next Sunday no doubt. If we can get to 4-2 we will be fine.

If we can get to 4-2 and get somewhat healthy on our bye week, I think 10 wins is manageable. We have to play Sunday like it's must win and play 60 minutes of football with no turnovers. Only going to get tougher from here. Make Joe Burrow uncomfortable in the pocket. Actually blitz for once Eberflus! Getting tired of how conservative he is on defense. He's not without some blame either. This might be the most winnable game left on our schedule besides the Lions (not saying Jags after week 1 lol)!

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Lancer1 if we lose to Cincy i will be more annoyed but as of now i am fine with Philip at QB.

@2006Coltsbestever Me as well. It's a marathon, not a sprint especially when we have only played 1 divisional rival so far but I am anxious to see how this team responds. The last time they laid an egg like this, they refocused and a 3 game win streak followed. Some here dismiss that as having beaten a few bad teams (except the Bears, we're the only ones who've beaten them and folks are curiously silent about that) but I think we take it to the Bengals this weekend, I'll be surprised if we don't but not discouraged just yet.

Anyone who thought Rivers was going to light it up like in his prime, certainly set them up for disappointment.

The Colts offensive line and run game (Mack) was far better last season.

The WR position is still a mess IMO.

The Colts are 3-2 and probably make it to a Wild Card game. 

However, Rivers is to blame, and I don’t agree. 

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Anyone who thought Rivers was going to light it up like in his prime, certainly set them up for disappointment.

Rivers deserves some blame but our defense didn't exactly light it up yesterday either.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we can get to 4-2 and get somewhat healthy on our bye week, I think 10 wins is manageable. We have to play Sunday like it's must win and play 60 minutes of football with no turnovers. Only going to get tougher from here. Make Joe Burrow uncomfortable in the pocket. Actually blitz for once Eberflus! Getting tired of how conservative he is on defense. He's not without some blame either. This might be the most winnable game left on our schedule besides the Lions (not saying Jags after week 1 lol)!

We really need to get to 5-2 like last year. When teams start 5-2 they make the playoffs 70% of the time. We didn't make the playoffs last year but we had a major collapse, that probably won't happen 2 years in row. If we get to 5-2, i think the worse we finish is 9-7.

Rivers deserves some blame but our defense didn't exactly light it up yesterday either.

I think they kept us in the game early (along with Rodgers' kickoff return) but they crapped the bed late and denied us 1 final chance with the ball.

• Nadine changed the title to How long should River leash be? (merge)

Something I was thinking about after listening to for the cloture podcast. The passes rivers has been great at are down the seam in the middle of the fielf. Why are we having him throw boundary passes he can’t throw anymore. Also we hammer Reich but could he be giving Rivers to much freedom after the first set of scripted plays. Maybe he needs to rein him in more.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Something I was thinking about after listening to for the cloture podcast. The passes rivers has been great at are down the seam in the middle of the fielf. Why are we having him throw boundary passes he can’t throw anymore. Also we hammer Reich but could he be giving Rivers to much freedom after the first set of scripted plays. Maybe he needs to rein him in more.

What has me puzzled is, is why we can't run the ball like last year. Losing Mack may be a bigger loss than many think?? I still do think Taylor will be good.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Thanks for telling me the For The Colture podcast was up! Yeah, we need to give the ball to Taylor more and have a balanced offense. In the 2nd half, we abandoned the run for the most part and let Rivers throw it. Just tired of the inconsistencies in the playcalling that is making every game difficult. Run it with Taylor!!

What has me puzzled is, is why we can't run the ball like last year. Losing Mack may be a bigger loss than many think?? I still do think Taylor will be good.

Taylor is averaging about 5 yards a carry the last two games. He's doing fine. They just aren't giving him the rock enough. That's a Reich problem. That's not on the running game.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well, Mack runs well in zone blocking while JT ran in man/power schemes in Wisconsin. Hence they wanted to ease JT into the line up, the process got accelerated. No pre-season games to get your feet wet, the learning curve has hit us hard. As far as why the holes that used to be there are not there this year as much, not sure, have to ask the OL coach and players.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thanks for telling me the For The Colture podcast was up! Yeah, we need to give the ball to Taylor more and have a balanced offense. In the 2nd half, we abandoned the run for the most part and let Rivers throw it. Just tired of the inconsistencies in the playcalling that is making every game difficult. Run it with Taylor!!

Taylor is averaging about 5 yards a carry the last two games. He's doing fine. They just aren't giving him the rock enough. That's a Reich problem. That's not on the running game.

I miss Jonathan Williams. He was fast and could hit holes quickly. I wonder why we let him go? He was killing the Texans last year. We never really gave him a chance.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If I was game planning and the score was tight all game, Taylor is getting at least 20 carries.

21 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

As a Notre Dame fan, do you think Ballard is or will regret taking Pittman over Claypool?  Some (me included) wanted Chase to be our pick.  I think we could have taken Taylor with 34 & still gotten Claypool later without having to trade up.

I really wanted Chase too. Not sure if Ballard regrets it, given it's early still. On the surface, Pitman came from a flashier offense and may have "looked" more polished to many folks. Too me, I saw Claypool simply ball out in a more "workman" type offense. I think Claypool has the highest ceiling between the two because of speed, but still think PIttman can do very well. 

Regardless, I really doubt our O coaches would have used Claypool how Pitt is using him though. Chase would probably be an unknown here lol. 

10 hours ago, PrNum1 said:

I like Fromm as a player.  Very cerebral QB and very accurate, not a big arm.  I would liken him to Drew Brees in height and arm strength.  His best fit in the NFL is the WCO.

Eason is a nice player.  Rocket arm but he's not very mobile and not as accurate in the short to intermediate passes.  But he can throw it 60 yards down field into a tight window.

I watched both alot when they played at UGA.

I wouldn't like him to Brees. Brees can throw it downfield when needed. Fromm is just uber conservative. But he is good in the short game. IMO, Eason was shelved too early at UGA. And going to Washington in a different scheme with a bad supporting cast hurt him to an extent. He should have gone to another school. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

I don't think Brady would ever come here. He wanted to be somewhere nice & warm. Also, he was thinking Tampa before the season even ended I believe

no his team said yes to the colts and the colts chose rivers over brady . tons of articles came out about it mocking the colts for this pick.  brady does his homework and saw the colts running game and offensive line  and wanted to come here.

13 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Regarding the OL...I wouldn't call them the most overrated unit...but perhaps a bit overrated at times.

All OLs hold...and the Colts are no different. In 2018...the Colts were #1 in OL holding penalties. But they were also #2 in Adjusted Sack Rate and #4 in Adjusted Line Yards for RBs...which would imply they were likely holding much more than that. But overall...their overall performance outweighed the penalties.

Then last year...they were bottom 5...with 13 less holding penalties (Colts were last in all penalties against). I don't know if it was a concerted effort by the coaching staff...or improving form...or just variance from the refs. Either way...they did regress a bit from 2018...as they were #12 in both Adjusted Sack Rate and Adjusted Line Yards for RBs. But with less penalties...the regression was sort of balanced out.

But this year...the OL holding penalties are back (they are second in the league.)...except the Colts are near the bottom of the league in both Adjusted Sack Rate and Adjusted Line Yards for RBs (#28 for both).

That is at least concerning...especially for an OL that is about to get very expensive to maintain (likely the most expensive in the NFL). The run defense has been probably the most disappointing part so far.

The ONLY reason for the improvement in sacks is our current QBs release time vs our last QB.  That is Rivers saving grace. It is also why he can't usually throw intermediate let alone deep. He has always has bone headed ints, just like Luck. In that one case they are very similar. Where they are nothing alike is Luck could scramble and extend plays to hit TY and others for bombs and that will not be possible without given statue Rivers a lot more time (1.5 seconds more would be an eternity in this case). Currently receivers can't even get deep before Phil HAS to throw it. That also kills play calling when it it only horizontal play calls and not vertical. It all cascades, 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

no his team said yes to the colts and the colts chose rivers over brady . tons of articles came out about it mocking the colts for this pick.  brady does his homework and saw the colts running game and offensive line  and wanted to come here.

I pretty sure Brady wanted 2 year and Colts were only willing to give 1 

7 hours ago, MPStack said:Anyone who thought Rivers was going to light it up like in his prime, certainly set them up for disappointment.

The WR position is a mess in large part due to injury.  It looked like they had something in Campbell until he got hurt and then they turned to Pittman and before he could get out of the blocks he got hurt.  Add in the injuries at tightened, Mack, and AC and that will slow down any offense, even the chiefs.  It is what it is. 

I think we are also seeing that Mack deserves some of the credit people gave to the line last year for their running attack.  Maybe not you, but more than one person said you could plug in any back behind that line and get 100 yards.  We are seeing that is not the case.  I think Taylor has done a good job and has been under utilized but even he isn’t doing as well as Mack did.  

With that said some of Rivers decisions have been bad for any QB regardless of who is out there.  So he does share SOME of the blame but he is far from the only person that is to blame.  However, people like simple and it’s much easier to say it’s all one persons fault than list everything that’s going on.

17 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

My only question is he broken from bad coaching. We would have two years to evaluate him and to see if he could be the future. He is still very young but has he been ruined.

could be true, i think we will have a better idea after the season 

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The WR position is a mess in large part due to injury.  It looked like they had something in Campbell until he got hurt and then they turned to Pittman and before he could get out of the blocks he got hurt.  Add in the injuries at tightened, Mack, and AC and that will slow down any offense, even the chiefs.  It is what it is. 

I think we are also seeing that Mack deserves some of the credit people gave to the line last year for their running attack.  Maybe not you, but more than one person said you could plug in any back behind that line and get 100 yards.  We are seeing that is not the case.  I think Taylor has done a good job and has been under utilized but even he isn’t doing as well as Mack did.  

With that said some of Rivers decisions have been bad for any QB regardless of who is out there.  So he does share SOME of the blame but he is far from the only person that is to blame.  However, people like simple and it’s much easier to say it’s all one persons fault than list everything that’s going on.

I am hoping that Mack recovers and we bring him back into our 3 back lineup. I know people who play fantasy hate 3 back teams but fans should love it. Keep the horses fresh, have quality depth for injury and extend their careers so they don't burn out so quickly.  

Question: What do people think it would cost to resign Mack and should we?  Would love to hear from the Cap guys. 

46 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I am hoping that Mack recovers and we bring him back into our 3 back lineup. I know people who play fantasy hate 3 back teams but fans should love it. Keep the horses fresh, have quality depth for injury and extend their careers so they don't burn out so quickly.  

Question: What do people think it would cost to resign Mack and should we?  Would love to hear from the Cap guys. 

I think his injury plus the Colts struggles to run the ball this season point to at least a one year prove it deal which makes sense for both sides.

Maybe people are just expecting too much of rivers too soon. He's on a new team..... didn't have any preseason games...... And it seems the oline isn't as advertised. Just saying..... Maybe it's just going to take some more time. On a side note I think Reich should hand over the play calling duties.

Archived