Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long should River leash be? (merge)

Nesjan3

How long should Rivers leash be?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How long should Rivers leash be before Jacoby goes in?

• He is done Jacoby should start next week.
    • One more bad outing
    • Multiple more bad outings
    • He is the starter till the end
    • Other

We got multiple receivers on IR. We got a RB on IR. We got a stud rookie RB. We got the best offensive line in football. We got the best defense in football. Why are we not running the ball down these teams throats? The only time Rivers should be throwing the ball is on play action or screens. The play calling was hot garbage! * the @#$% off

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is also why Eason needed to be the backup and Jacoby needed to be gone. Eason would of got some playing time against the Jets.

I agree with this 100%. If Reich and Ballard don't want to put Eason in to start, that's fine. However, the Jets were the right opponent to put him in for a quarter of garbage time. They have a bad secondary and are the worst team in the league, so there's little pressure. That was a friendly game to gain info on him and build some confidence in a real game. Using Brissett in garbage time accomplishes nothing. You might as well just kept Rivers in if you were going to use Brissett and not Eason there.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with this 100%. If Reich and Ballard don't want to put Eason in to start, that's fine. However, the Jets were the right opponent to put him in for a quarter of garbage time. They have a bad secondary and are the worst team in the league, so there's little pressure. That was a friendly game to gain info on him and build some confidence in a real game. Using Brissett in garbage time accomplishes nothing. You might as well just kept Rivers in if you were going to use Brissett and not Eason there.

He wasn’t active they couldn’t have put him in.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

All that is fine. The reality is that this is a mess. I don't see the Colts doing anything about the QB this season. Next year, Rivers will be gone and so will Brissett. Eason and Kelly will be the only 2 the Colts will have under contract. I can tell you that Eason is not the answer. I already know it. Call it a gut instinct. What i really hope is that finally Kelly will get a true shot to compete. We all would be pleasantly surprised.

You do know Kelly got released right?

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

He wasn’t active they couldn’t have put him in.

You are right. I apologize. Then they should of made him active because it was the Jets and Ballard and Reich likely knew they'd have a 4th quarter lead by a wide margin. It's hindsight yes, but it was obvious that the Jets were horrible by how they were playing the first 2 weeks, and it was a rare opportunity to potentially get Eason playing time in the 4th quarter if he was active.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

People overrate garbage time vs Jets as opportunity to learn anything about Eason. They learn more about him every practice than the 10 snaps Brissett took in that game. 

Even if it's the Jets, a quarter of garbage time in a real-life game setting under pressure tells me more than what Ballard and Reich report in the friendly confines of practice. I would say people overrate practice reps too much.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are right. I apologize. Then they should of made him active because it was the Jets and Ballard and Reich likely knew they'd have a 4th quarter lead by a wide margin. It's hindsight yes, but it was obvious that the Jets were horrible by how they were playing the first 2 weeks, and it was a rare opportunity to potentially get Eason playing time in the 4th quarter if he was active.

They didn’t know anything can happen in a football game and to make him active means you have to take someone else away that is probably a key backup in case of injury or plays on special teams.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Even if it's the Jets, a quarter of garbage time in a real-life game setting under pressure tells me more than what Ballard and Reich report in the friendly confines of practice. I would say people overrate practice reps too much.

What's the pressure of a garbage time in a 30 point game? Brissett threw the ball 4 times in that game. There was no pressure, we were draining clock. This is not a normal game situation where you can actually see something from Eason. He would be relied to close the game by handing it off to the running back. That's it. That's the most you can learn about him... does he hand the ball to the RB well... Brissett took 13 snaps and threw it 4 times. 

What's the pressure of a garbage time in a 30 point game? Brissett threw the ball 4 times in that game. There was no pressure, we were draining clock. 

The pressure is showing that you are a competant QB in a real-life game. If Eason would of been put in in the 4th for garbage time, it would of been an audition to show what he has learned in practice and apply it. It could also get him favored by Reich and Ballard more next year to be the starter or even potentially start this year over Brissett if Rivers goes down and Eason really looks good. 

There's always pressure to look good, unless you are an elite QB. This could of been the biggest moment of his career for a year or so, and if he took advantage of it, who knows how it would of benefitted him in the future on the Colts.

Remember, Kelly never got a shot like that last year, and he got released. I want Eason to get the opportunity that Kelly never got so there's a chance he has a future here, whether it's as a starter or a backup.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The pressure is showing that you are a competant QB in a real-life game. If Eason would of been put in in the 4th for garbage time, it would of been an audition to show what he has learned in practice and apply it. It could also get him favored by Reich and Ballard more next year to be the starter or even potentially start this year over Brissett if Rivers goes down and Eason really looks good. 

There's always pressure to look good, unless you are an elite QB. This could of been the biggest moment of his career for a year or so, and if he took advantage of it, who knows how it would of benefitted him in the future on the Colts.

Remember, Kelly never got a shot like that last year, and he got released. I want Eason to get the opportunity that Kelly never got so there's a chance he has a future here, whether it's as a starter or a backup.

This is NOT what he would have been asked to do in garbage time. He would have been asked to do exactly what Brissett did - to hand the ball over to the running back and drain the clock. He wouldn't be asked to make complex reads, he wouldn't be asked to make big time throws, he would have been asked to give the ball to the RB and make the clock run out of time. 

If you want to see him being a competent QB and to show that he can run an offense and execute the offense, you need to put him in a situation where he's asked to do that. 

Anyways... it's all a moot point. Reich knows much better than us where Eason is in his development and what he can do with or without those 13 snaps in the Jets game. Let it play out and don't rush the kid on the field before he's ready. 

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They didn’t know anything can happen in a football game and to make him active means you have to take someone else away that is probably a key backup in case of injury or plays on special teams.

That is why they are the GM and Coach and we are fans. They are supposed to weigh the odds and make advanced decisions like that for the betterment of the team in the short and long term. If I was the Coach, Eason would of been active for the very reason if we had a big 4th quarter lead to try him out. The injuries were low at the time, and I believe we only had Mack and Hooker hurt. The Jets team was obviously overmatched, and every fan, analyst, media guy, Coach and GM would agree with me along with Vegas. 

It's not really a mistake or anything, but it shows this Coaching staff doesn't think long-term with their decisions or use any creativity. If a media member asked why Eason was active and we had a close game with the Jets, and Reich responded "we made him active in case of a garbage-time scenario to get playing time", I would of had major respect for him.

That is why they are the GM and Coach and we are fans. They are supposed to weigh the odds and make advanced decisions like that for the betterment of the team in the short and long term. If I was the Coach, Eason would of been active for the very reason if we had a big 4th quarter lead to try him out. The injuries were low at the time, and I believe we only had Mack and Hooker hurt. The Jets team was obviously overmatched, and every fan, analyst, media guy, Coach and GM would agree with me along with Vegas. 

It's not really a mistake or anything, but it shows this Coaching staff doesn't think long-term with their decisions or use any creativity. If a media member asked why Eason was active and we had a close game with the Jets, and Reich responded "we made him active in case of a garbage-time scenario to get playing time", I would of had major respect for him.

And they don’t just assume they are going to beat down a team to the point they can play the third string QB.

This is NOT what he would have been asked to do in garbage time. He would have been asked to do exactly what Brissett did - to hand the ball over to the running back and drain the clock. He wouldn't be asked to make complex reads, he wouldn't be asked to make big time throws, he would have been asked to give the ball to the RB and make the clock run out of time. 

Lets say this is 100% true. Would you rather see Brissett do it, or Eason? In a whole quarter in your scenario, Eason may even throw it a couple times on 3rd down and long and you can at least gain info that way.

In the most basic garbage time situation that you said, it's STILL better to put Eason in and see if he can run a garbage-time offense and maybe make a throw or two. That's still big for the kid and the Colts future. We didn't even get that with Kelly before releasing him.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

That is why Jacoby should of been gone and Eason rivers backup.

Yeah that’s not going to happen.  Say Rivers went down for the season in week one Eason wasn’t going to be the starter for the year in their eyes.  Jacoby is the vet backup they would have brought in had they dumped Jacoby.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Brissett threw it a couple times. Game experience is game experience.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

And they don’t just assume they are going to beat down a team to the point they can play the third string QB.

Then they aren't very bright. They have the info to know which teams are easier or harder on their schedule. I don't care if they were way off on that assessment and the Jets beat us. Everything suggested we would blow them out of the water and an intelligent FO should know that and at least make Eason active for rare opportunities such as that.

If it doesn't work and it's a close game, oh well. You did the right strategy and it's easy to explain to the media if they call you out on it. Of all the problems we have right now, making Eason active Vs the Jets for possible 4th quarter garbage time would be the least of them if it didn't happen.

I'd just like to see more of an emphasis to use our young QBs. I have a feeling at the end of the year, we'll know nothing about Eason just like we knew nothing about Kelly, and it'll be last year's offseason all over again QB-wise.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets say this is 100% true. Would you rather see Brissett do it, or Eason? In a whole quarter in your scenario, Eason may even throw it a couple times on 3rd down and long and you can at least gain info that way.

In the most basic garbage time situation that you said, it's STILL better to put Eason in and see if he can run a garbage-time offense and maybe make a throw or two. That's still big for the kid and the Colts future. We didn't even get that with Kelly before releasing him.

If he's ready I prefer him get the snaps and the back up spot in general. The point is... we don't know if he is or not. I have seen ZERO video of him playing in the NFL or in practice or in pre-season games. With that information, I would just trust Reich and his staff at this point.

Just ... let it play out and don't rush him in if he's not ready. Because the Jets game was garbage time against horrible team. But what happens if Rivers gets injured on the 2nd snap of the game and you have to play Eason and he's not ready? 

The bottom line even if we trade up for a QB we are starting a QB next season with no experience. At some point you have to see what you have. We aren’t in a situation anymore to let someone sit and learn because the veteran QB is not working. If they want this team to develop play the young QB and see what he has. Right now we aren’t advancing the future at all.

Just now, stitches said:

If he's ready I prefer him get the snaps and the back up spot in general. The point is... we don't know if he is or not. I have seen ZERO video of him playing in the NFL or in practice or in pre-season games. With that information, I would just trust Reich and his staff at this point. 

You are right, we don't know if he's ready, and neither does Reich or Ballard. That's why garbage-time Vs the Jets in the 4th quarter was a perfect opportunity to get him acclimated to the league in an easy setting. Hand the ball off, throw it 5 times possibly and learn how to lead a team without worrying about winning or losing. Do your best and complete a few easy passes and get valuable game-time experience while showing if you are ready or not.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Then they aren't very bright. They have the info to know which teams are easier or harder on their schedule. I don't care if they were way off on that assessment and the Jets beat us. Everything suggested we would blow them out of the water and an intelligent FO should know that and at least make Eason active for rare opportunities such as that.

If it doesn't work and it's a close game, oh well. You did the right strategy and it's easy to explain to the media if they call you out on it. Of all the problems we have right now, making Eason active Vs the Jets for possible 4th quarter garbage time would be the least of them if it didn't happen.

I'd just like to see more of an emphasis to use our young QBs. I have a feeling at the end of the year, we'll know nothing about Eason just like we knew nothing about Kelly, and it'll be last year's offseason all over again QB-wise.

This Sunday is another opportunity where we might have a opportunity to get Eason some playing time. The lions score to many points so I don’t think we will blow them out. But the Bengals would be a great time to do this.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

The bottom line even if we trade up for a QB we are starting a QB next season with no experience. At some point you have to see what you have. We aren’t in a situation anymore to let someone sit and learn because the veteran QB is not working. If they want this team to develop play the young QB and see what he has. Right now we aren’t advancing the future at all.

Exactly, we were looking for a one-year fix or a one-year window to win the SB with Rivers. Then what? We sign another veteran in FA and do it all over again? Or do we draft a QB and now we have a rookie QB again? Now we are closer to having to sign the 2018 class and our cap space is going to be tied up. All I can say is, Ballard better have a rookie QB he loves next year that he is willing to draft. I know they were looking at Trey Lance.

You are right, we don't know if he's ready, and neither does Reich or Ballard. That's why garbage-time Vs the Jets in the 4th quarter was a perfect opportunity to get him acclimated to the league in an easy setting. Hand the ball off, throw it 5 times possibly and learn how to lead a team without worrying about winning or losing. Do your best and complete a few easy passes and get valuable game-time experience while showing if you are ready or not.

There is close to nothing I agree with here. I guess we have to agree to disagree at this point. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Adam Schefter said in a tweet that the Jets are "unlikely to get a 1st rounder in a trade for Darnold". So the most he'll probably get is a 2nd IMO. Which I still might do if it's a mid/late 2nd we trade for him.

a second for sam sounds good to me.  im starting to think there wont be a huge trade offer for Trever if the jets earn the pick.  the giants and Washington team cant afford to sell the farm for him right now

does anyone really think they would pass on TL to keep Sam if there is no trade?

it would be kind of funny to trade for sam after we traded him there in the first place

I though ballard did the right thing in the draft this year to use all his picks to make the team better for rivers. Then he got a QB at a bargain in the fourth rd. It’s time to advance the future and see where we are. No more of this trying to plug the hole.  We should of went into camp with Brissett since it was a short season. Then I’d it didn’t work turn to Eason. At least then we would know what we have in Eason. That or Jacoby should of been gone to give Eason more reps in practice and maybe some garbage time. We are wasting some of our best players right now having a hole at QB. 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

a second for sam sounds good to me.  im starting to think there wont be a huge trade offer for Trever if the jets earn the pick.  the giants and Washington team cant afford to sell the farm for him right now

does anyone really think they would pass on TL to keep Sam if there is no trade?

it would be kind of funny to trade for sam after we traded him there in the first place

My only question is he broken from bad coaching. We would have two years to evaluate him and to see if he could be the future. He is still very young but has he been ruined.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My only question is he broken from bad coaching. We would have two years to evaluate him and to see if he could be the future. He is still very young but has he been ruined.

He may of been ruined, but players formerly under Adam Gase have done well elsewhere. 

Tannehill, Parker, Drake, Geiseki, just to name a few. I feel confident Sam could succeed with a better coach and team. The Jets is an absolutely toxic team to play under.

1 hour ago, Mr_486lo said:

We got multiple receivers on IR. We got a RB on IR. We got a stud rookie RB. We got the best offensive line in football. We got the best defense in football. Why are we not running the ball down these teams throats? The only time Rivers should be throwing the ball is on play action or screens. The play calling was hot garbage! * the @#$% off

We “have” ...

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wouldn’t of mattered. Rivers wasn’t doing crap.

Rivers has basically turned into a Brissett that throws INTs. At this point, I'd rather throw Brissett in there instead if Eason isn't playing as he'll do the same thing as Rivers without turning the ball over. It's getting a bit sad watching him.

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think it's a mastiff of some kind, but Boxers are the best.  We've had boxers in my family since I was a kid.  :wag:

We've had German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and when I turned 18, I got a Labrador Retreiver. The Lab was an absolute joy to have and she lived a couple weeks past my 32nd b-day. Most perfect dog you could ever ask for and never did anything wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Rivers has basically turned into a Brissett that throws INTs. At this point, I'd rather throw Brissett in there instead if Eason isn't playing as he'll do the same thing as Rivers without turning the ball over. It's getting a bit sad watching him.

Indianapolis Colts Football GIF by SportsManias At least we were a top 5 run offense when I was in there - Jacoby Brissett

Archived