Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Given Our Current Roster, Where Are We We The Weakest?

Pancake Block

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at the offense and see a few glaring holes. The O-line is in transition with Saturday gone to GB and Diem retiring. Are we switching from a zone scheme to a more man-power blocking scheme? Are the FAs we've signed so far going to be enough to improve the overall blocking performance? I'm still a little leery about RT and at least one OG position. We are obviously barren of pass-catching talent at TE. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they re-signed Dallas Clark now that he's not becoming a Bronco. I'm not sure that Donald Brown can handle the load at RB. Our WR corps right now consists of Wayne, Collie, and White (returning from injury). I personally feel that Wayne should be moved to #2 position that he played when Harrison was around and we need to find another #1 guy. Collie's good in the slot and White will complete our 4-wideout sets. Our defense will obviously need help in the secondary and I'm not sure how everybody else fits into the new 3-4 look. I look for

Freeney to be cut before the season starts. He doesn't fit the new system and nobody wants to sign him under his current contract because of his $19 million salary cap hit this year. It's very frustrating to see all this talent leave the team with no compensation in draft picks.

wide receiver...tight end...and corner

center, left tackle

1. Corner- Powers is great but has ended to year on IR two years straight. Nobody behind him other than maybe Ruckers (not great). FA too expensive

2. WR - Wayne is great. Collie, White and Avery have had significant injury problems and Wayne will begin to decline eventually

3. TE- Brody is a good blocker but has been injured a lot. Nobody behind him at all and FA is a bust at this position

4. NT - Nobody currently on roster. Confident we will pick up a vet and draft somebody so not too concerned

5. OG - If theres a steal in the draft, great. If Ben isn't healthy justice will have to play RT so we need depth

Hmm did anyone see our corner play and Trench play, lets not forget our offensive line was out of whack with injuries for much of the season last year so, unfair to go their at this point, but our corners were pretty healthy and were god awful, our defensive tackles while 1-2 werent healthy we have seen what they can do in the past and it was nothing much except get ran over no brainer those are our two biggest needs, after that Ill go tight end

Secondary, who can cover besides Powers?

I really don't think we know. We haven't asked our corners to cover in two years. Lacey is gone, but everyone else is a question mark. I think Thomas and Rucker are legitimate options. I do think we need another corner, but I'm not sure that the guys we have aren't capable of starting and playing at a high level.

Weakness' everywhere. The Ol has new bodies no one knows if there a good. A good looking rookie coming off a knee injury, & 2nd year men Castonzo, Rietz, who need to improve. TE's are horrible & weak, We need at least one more maybe 2 WRs, & pray Avery can & is healthy enough to play. QB weak & probable a rookie in Luck who will be doing on the job training. we need at least 1 probably 2 more RB's New defensive scheme, 3/4 who other than Redding can play end that we know ? Moala, Nevis, No nose tackle Dl work in progress, I am VERY WORRIED about our LB's Mathis I think will be great, every other positions scares me I know people will say Angerger is going to be fine, not so sure he is not a real thumper inside more of a chase & wrap guy better suited for 4/3 not a 3/4 guy. Conner is a little small & & inconsistent, but is a hitter, they should sign Wheeler I think he would do well in this system. Freeney who knows what they do with him. The Cb's are horrible other than Powers who gets hurt alot. I think Rucker showed some promise, need alot of help here. The safeties could be OK with Bethea & Zib if he can play, & backups of Caldwell, Lefeged, & Newton. might not be that bad. Kicking game solid & ST's well enough said there. Thats the way I see it.

Our O-Line is going to surprise people. We have some big fellas there. Castonzo is going to be as solid as they come and Ijalana is going to have something he wants to prove.

QB will be addressed in about a month, so will the TE. I will miss Dallas, but his laundry list of injuries has caught up with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire.

Do not forget that we signed Donnie Avery to replace Pierre Garcon. He is faster and has better hands, but needs to stay healthy.

I would say the next big signing will be a NT. Maybe Solari from Miami. If we sign another OLB, say goodbye to Freeney.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep them as they are. Avery essentially replaces Garcon, and White is actually the backup. They may pick up a bargain someplace, or take a WR if somebody special drops to them that they can't resist, but there are a lot of more important holes to fill.

Avery has 3 catches in the last two seasons.. He is a major down grade from Garcon

I've been looking at the offense and see a few glaring holes. The O-line is in transition with Saturday gone to GB and Diem retiring. Are we switching from a zone scheme to a more man-power blocking scheme? Are the FAs we've signed so far going to be enough to improve the overall blocking performance? I'm still a little leery about RT and at least one OG position. We are obviously barren of pass-catching talent at TE. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they re-signed Dallas Clark now that he's not becoming a Bronco. I'm not sure that Donald Brown can handle the load at RB. Our WR corps right now consists of Wayne, Collie, and White (returning from injury). I personally feel that Wayne should be moved to #2 position that he played when Harrison was around and we need to find another #1 guy. Collie's good in the slot and White will complete our 4-wideout sets. Our defense will obviously need help in the secondary and I'm not sure how everybody else fits into the new 3-4 look. I look for

Freeney to be cut before the season starts. He doesn't fit the new system and nobody wants to sign him under his current contract because of his $19 million salary cap hit this year. It's very frustrating to see all this talent leave the team with no compensation in draft picks.

No question we have several needs. However, I would say our biggest need is in the secondary.

Avery has 3 catches in the last two seasons.. He is a major down grade from Garcon

I wasn't referring to his track record but rather to the managements intent. They clearly didn't care to meet Garcon's price, and then they turned around and signed a cheaper replacement. You can only have so many wide receivers on your squad. The point of this was that I doubt that they will be investing a high draft pick in another one.

Yeah, I'm not too sold on our O-line right now, especially since all the nicer predictions I've seen for our line involve Ijalana being healthy even though it's possible he won't be completely ready to play until part of the way through next season. What do we do in the meantime?

And then I'd say NT, CB, and TE

QB is getting solved at the No. 1 pick lol

WR

We have Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie as only reliable options at the WR position. Blair White, Donnie Avery, Jeremy Ross, Jarred Fayson are all competitors for the 4-5th spot. Also injuries are a concern and would blow a big hole in our receiving corp. So we definitely have to draft 1-2 WR in this years draft. It would be nice to get Stephen Hill with our 2nd round pick if he falls. Also Brian Quick looks good in the mid rounds. The WR class is deep so we should get two got prospects.

TE

We only have Brody Eldridge on our roster and his strength is blocking not receiving. Coby Fleener would be nice but he is projected to go in the first round especially after his great perfomances at the combine and his pro day. The TE class isn't very deep but there are some interesting prospects in the mid to late rounds like James Hanna from Oklahoma. A veteran TE would be nice too and I wouldn't mind if we resign Dallas Clark for a reasonable price.

DT

Colts need a NT and at some point they will address the position at the draft. I would be fine with Nicolas Jean-Baptiste or Akiem Hicks in the mid rounds and a veteran DT. Probably not a long term solution but with so many holes we can't fill all position with 1 or 2nd round talent.

CB

Jerraud Powers is solid. Both Rucker and Thomas showed some promise but we need some help and the CB class is deep so we should get prospect even in the mid rounds.

I'm a bit torn because we could use all picks on our defense but also need some weapons and protection for Mr. Luck. As i mentioned before we can't address all holes adequate.

regarding TE- we have Brody, who was injured Nov 2011 season at which point Anthony Hill was signed and I believe still on the roster and Justin Snow (is Justin practice squad?). I think we desperately need a vet TE who can block and catch! big hole is this position IMO, I can't believe they didn't keep Clark.

Satele will be solid replacement for Saturday. He blocked for McFadden and Ronnie brown

1.nose tackle

2. cb

3. Tight end

4. Guard

5. WR

Sounds about right. No NT on this team, so that is the definition of a need. The corners were very weak and our best CB, Powers couldn't stay healthy. This needs to be addressed in the draft and considering this is a good draft for the position it hopefully should. Heck I would take two CBs in this draft if they weren't more needs on this team. Tight End another weak area, especially after losing Tamme and Clark, I can't believe they let both walk, but Clark couldn't stay healthy and maybe Tamme just wanted too much money. Guard with Diem gone makes sense, this team has signed alot of O-linemen so atleast the team shouldn't need a whole line. WR needs a player but isn't a major hole, I think this team only needs one WR and since there are more important positions to draft I see it being a late round fix. Next year will be more of a year to upgrade the positions and I think the first round could easily be a WR or RB.

To me, the biggest holes in our starting lineup as it stands right now, are: QB, TE, NT, #2 CB

QB is the most important position on the field, so in my opinion, that is our biggest right now. After that it leaves TE, NT, #2 CB. Eldridge, Johnson, and Thomas/Rucker would be starters right now for those 3 positions, so taking their potential and talent level into consideration, I think our needs are:

1) QB

2) NT

3) TE

4) CB

To me, the biggest holes in our starting lineup as it stands right now, are: QB, TE, NT, #2 CB

QB is the most important position on the field, so in my opinion, that is our biggest right now. After that it leaves TE, NT, #2 CB. Eldridge, Johnson, and Thomas/Rucker would be starters right now for those 3 positions, so taking their potential and talent level into consideration, I think our needs are:

1) QB

2) NT

3) TE

4) CB

We already know we are getting a qb in the draft. I hope it's rg3

That isn't reality. Avery had 3 catches last year, in an injury hampered season, with Hasselbeck and Locker as his Quarterbacks. He had 47 catches in 2010, Sam Bradford's rookie season. He had 53 catches in 2009, his rookie season, with Buldger getting IR'ed and the team lacking a real QB.

Pierre's numbers are just marginally better based on four seasons, three of which were with Peyton at the helm.

Donnie Avery - GP = 39, RC = 103, YDS = 1308, AVG = 12.7, FUM = 1, LOST = 1

Pierre Garcon - GP = 58, RC = 188, YDS = 2519, AVG = 13.4, FUM = 3, LOST = 2

At the price we signed him, Avery is a tremendous solution. Pierre's numbers do not add up to the contract he just signed.

1) Nose Tackle

2) Corner

3) Guard

4) Tight End- still figuring out the Tamme loss, He was young, he could catch, he ran good routes, he could run some

5) Center, and the only reason I say Center is because we had a pro bowler at Center for so long, Im trying not to say its a downgrade cause only time will tell but thats why its on the list

1 and 2 can be flipped

Working on the assumption that we take Luck in the draft (or I guess RG3, though I'd prefer Luck), I would say that by far the biggest need is a legit nose tackle. Remember how well Green Bay made the transition to a 3-4 defense a few years back? Sure, they got good efforts from their LBs and what have you, but probably 75% of why that transition went so smoothly was B.J. Raji. Not saying we'll get a guy like Raji, but the 3-4 needs a competent nose tackle, or the entire scheme falls apart, especially if your LBs are kinda on the smallish side, like Angerer and (to a lesser extent) Connor are. Angerer is a quality LB, and has a great motor, but if we can't eat up the guards, he'll be spending a lot of time on his butt watching the RB go by him.

After that I would say it's a receiving TE (preferably one who can block better than Clark did... I'll take a poor man's Tony Gonzalez, thank you - we have Eldridge for pure blocking, but a safety blanket over the middle for Luck would be nice), and depth at CB (we have a couple guys who could, potentially, possibly, in theory, break out, but I don't like relying on the assumption that one of them is going to suddenly light the world on fire).

Oh, and guards. Obviously.

After that, just depth at various positions.

we are weakest at wide receiver, tight end,,,offensive tackle and cornerback...

we need to draft some TD makers on offense

I am surprised that it is assumed that Satale just replaces Saturday. He may have the physical attributes, but Jeff was a master at leading the oline and transmitting changes down the line. Has Satale done that? Isn't this one of the things that Luck brings to the table that we could take advantage of.....his ability to change plays at the line? It could be that the front office sees our newly acquired center as a guy that will fill that role. However, Pollack is gone as well and last time I looked, the cupboard is pretty bare in the center department. I would truly be surprised if we did not draft a center or a center/guard in this draft unless one is acquired through a trade.

1 Defensive Tackle

1a Corner

2 Guard

3 LineBacker, although given our Freeman signing at that position that can be moved down further depending on how well he does

4 Running Back- I saw footage of Brown in college he ran for power, Im still waiting for that in the NFL, he has only shown he can run in open field in the NFL so far- Prove me wrong Donald (I think he will if our Oline proves to be more physical and we continue with the Fullback strategy, can fullbacks to other things? of course, but the purpose for them was blocking first)

I didnt name quarterback cause its obvious were going for Luck to me at this point, I like RGIII and will support him like crazy if we draft him AFTER I recover from my heart attack

Right now, I would say, in order of importance:

1) QB1

2) CBs: preferably I would like 2 more

3) TEs

4) WRs: preferably, I would like 2 more

5) NT

6) OG, LBs, RB

Why is NT so far down on your list, may I ask? Who do you think we have that would play NT effectively in the 3-4?

Why is NT so far down on your list, may I ask? Who do you think we have that would play NT effectively in the 3-4?

Of the following players the Colts currently have on the roster:

91 Mathews, Ricardo DT

92 Hughes, Jerry DE

94 Nevis, Drake DT

95 Moala, Fili DT

97 Addison, Mario DE

99 Johnson, Antonio DT

64 Ogbu, Ollie DT

Peguese, Brandon DE

Hickman, Justin DE

Redding, Corey DE

I think the OL coach can find at least one among them to convert into a viable NT.

91 Mathews, Ricardo DT

92 Hughes, Jerry DE

94 Nevis, Drake DT

95 Moala, Fili DT

97 Addison, Mario DE

99 Johnson, Antonio DT

64 Ogbu, Ollie DT

Peguese, Brandon DE

Hickman, Justin DE

Redding, Corey DE

I think the OL coach can find at least one among them to convert into a viable NT.

I hope you mean the DL coach I dont want our O-Line coach converting nothin on our defense or else were worse then I thought lol, but if I had to chose one I might see if I could convert Ricardo Mattews, he showed he can penetrate the line last year before he went down, Id say why not this year is a learning year anyway if he works as a rotational guy their Id be happy, dont know how big he is though

91 Mathews, Ricardo DT

92 Hughes, Jerry DE

94 Nevis, Drake DT

95 Moala, Fili DT

97 Addison, Mario DE

99 Johnson, Antonio DT

64 Ogbu, Ollie DT

Peguese, Brandon DE

Hickman, Justin DE

Redding, Corey DE

I think the only guy on that list that could even be considered remotely close to a 3-4 NT is Antonio Johnson and realistically I think he would get destroyed playing that posistion. Nobody and I mean NOBODY else on the current roster would even get a second look at NT. This is why NT is the thinnest position on the team, because we don't have one at all.

91 Mathews, Ricardo DT

92 Hughes, Jerry DE

94 Nevis, Drake DT

95 Moala, Fili DT

97 Addison, Mario DE

99 Johnson, Antonio DT

64 Ogbu, Ollie DT

Peguese, Brandon DE

Hickman, Justin DE

Redding, Corey DE

I don't. Maybe in a 1-gap front Ogbu or Rico Mathews can play that role, but both of them are pretty definitively three-techs. So is Nevis. Moala is more of a five-tech end than a tackle, and it's not clear that he can play that role either. He's certainly not equipped to play nose tackle, and certainly not to anchor a three-down line. Of course, Jerry Hughes and the other ends you list aren't going to play that role. Antonio Johnson just isn't very good, especially against double teams.

I just don't see that player on our roster right now.