Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Given Our Current Roster, Where Are We We The Weakest?

Pancake Block

I don't. Maybe in a 1-gap front Ogbu or Rico Mathews can play that role, but both of them are pretty definitively three-techs. So is Nevis. Moala is more of a five-tech end than a tackle, and it's not clear that he can play that role either. He's certainly not equipped to play nose tackle, and certainly not to anchor a three-down line. Of course, Jerry Hughes and the other ends you list aren't going to play that role. Antonio Johnson just isn't very good, especially against double teams.

I just don't see that player on our roster right now.

Agreed, although I heard Irsay say they thought Johnson was going to be the guy. Maybe blowing pre draft smoke, but, he seemed like he REALLY thought that! I don't not drinking that coolaid right now!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't. Maybe in a 1-gap front Ogbu or Rico Mathews can play that role, but both of them are pretty definitively three-techs. So is Nevis. Moala is more of a five-tech end than a tackle, and it's not clear that he can play that role either. He's certainly not equipped to play nose tackle, and certainly not to anchor a three-down line. Of course, Jerry Hughes and the other ends you list aren't going to play that role. Antonio Johnson just isn't very good, especially against double teams.

I just don't see that player on our roster right now.

Agree i dont see a NT that can hold is own in a double team on our team,NT needs to be addressed in FA i hope.Would be nice to have a vet NT even if hes far from great,just to help with DL transition to 3-4.NT is the anchor to to the line especially on any 2 gap scheme we are way to small for 2 gapIMO.PLZ MR Grigs get us a NT in draft and FA.Plenty of players available between now and final cut to 53.

Of the following players the Colts currently have on the roster:

91 Mathews, Ricardo DT

92 Hughes, Jerry DE

94 Nevis, Drake DT

95 Moala, Fili DT

97 Addison, Mario DE

99 Johnson, Antonio DT

64 Ogbu, Ollie DT

Peguese, Brandon DE

Hickman, Justin DE

Redding, Corey DE

I think the OL coach can find at least one among them to convert into a viable NT.

Like others have said, I just really don't see an adequate NT on our team. Our DTs last year weren't even good ONE-gap players, let alone tossing them in there to play TWO gaps. They'd be manhandled. They aren't big or fast enough.

Like others have said, I just really don't see an adequate NT on our team. Our DTs last year weren't even good ONE-gap players, let alone tossing them in there to play TWO gaps. They'd be manhandled. They aren't big or fast enough.

I agree. Maybe they use a base 3-4 less than people think. The great thing about the hybrid is that you can use differernet alingments at different times.

Assuming we take Cleveland's 1st roundersand their 2nd, we take Blackmon, trade up a couple spots and take Claiborne. Weeden with the 2nd. We used Cleveland's 2nd to move up to get Claiborne in the 1st.

There's 3 holes filled by 3 solid picks..... Dont hurt me haha

In my opinion, our corners have got to be the biggest weakness. Powers is a solid starter but has finished the last two seasons on IR. After that we have nobody who has proven themselves. Maybe Rucker can develop. People here seem to love him but he hasn't won me over. I think on another team our corners would be #2 CB (powers) and #4-5 CB (others). Draft a corner in 2nd or 3rd round. I also like the idea of trading a 4th rounder to Philly for Samuels as long as Freeneys deal gets worked out.