Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Given Our Current Roster, Where Are We We The Weakest?

Pancake Block

I've been looking at the offense and see a few glaring holes. The O-line is in transition with Saturday gone to GB and Diem retiring. Are we switching from a zone scheme to a more man-power blocking scheme? Are the FAs we've signed so far going to be enough to improve the overall blocking performance? I'm still a little leery about RT and at least one OG position. We are obviously barren of pass-catching talent at TE. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they re-signed Dallas Clark now that he's not becoming a Bronco. I'm not sure that Donald Brown can handle the load at RB. Our WR corps right now consists of Wayne, Collie, and White (returning from injury). I personally feel that Wayne should be moved to #2 position that he played when Harrison was around and we need to find another #1 guy. Collie's good in the slot and White will complete our 4-wideout sets. Our defense will obviously need help in the secondary and I'm not sure how everybody else fits into the new 3-4 look. I look for

Freeney to be cut before the season starts. He doesn't fit the new system and nobody wants to sign him under his current contract because of his $19 million salary cap hit this year. It's very frustrating to see all this talent leave the team with no compensation in draft picks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good summary. Hopefully Ijalana can play RT. I'd also add WR.

Yea, but it's not our weakest.

Wayne on the outside, Collie in the slot, Draft for #2 receiver, and Donnie Avery as backup. Its decent.

We are the weakest, presuming ofcourse that we draft Luck....................at WR, CB and NT. All other positions we have 'capable' starters and depth. Although, with the signing of Donnie Avery on Friday we could wait until next offseason to pick up that stud number 1 type receiver?

Our O-Line is going to surprise people. We have some big fellas there. Castonzo is going to be as solid as they come and Ijalana is going to have something he wants to prove.

QB will be addressed in about a month, so will the TE. I will miss Dallas, but his laundry list of injuries has caught up with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire.

Do not forget that we signed Donnie Avery to replace Pierre Garcon. He is faster and has better hands, but needs to stay healthy.

I would say the next big signing will be a NT. Maybe Solari from Miami. If we sign another OLB, say goodbye to Freeney.

Yea, but it's not our weakest.

Wayne on the outside, Collie in the slot, Draft for #2 receiver, and Donnie Avery as backup. Its decent.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep them as they are. Avery essentially replaces Garcon, and White is actually the backup. They may pick up a bargain someplace, or take a WR if somebody special drops to them that they can't resist, but there are a lot of more important holes to fill.

Honestly, I think our roster is about as strong as the 2010 roster (minus Peyton). I think the OL is much improved while DB's are worse. Our needs, from greatest to least:

NT, CB, TE, OL, WR, DE, ILB

OL, WR, and DE are passable but could use some depth. Am I the only person who isn't buying Connell at ILB?

Also, don't forget Zbikowski. Safety isn't a need anymore.

I've been looking at the offense and see a few glaring holes. The O-line is in transition with Saturday gone to GB and Diem retiring. Are we switching from a zone scheme to a more man-power blocking scheme? Are the FAs we've signed so far going to be enough to improve the overall blocking performance? I'm still a little leery about RT and at least one OG position. We are obviously barren of pass-catching talent at TE. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they re-signed Dallas Clark now that he's not becoming a Bronco. I'm not sure that Donald Brown can handle the load at RB. Our WR corps right now consists of Wayne, Collie, and White (returning from injury). I personally feel that Wayne should be moved to #2 position that he played when Harrison was around and we need to find another #1 guy. Collie's good in the slot and White will complete our 4-wideout sets. Our defense will obviously need help in the secondary and I'm not sure how everybody else fits into the new 3-4 look. I look for

Freeney to be cut before the season starts. He doesn't fit the new system and nobody wants to sign him under his current contract because of his $19 million salary cap hit this year. It's very frustrating to see all this talent leave the team with no compensation in draft picks.

The frustrating part is thats what happens when you hang on o alot of your players to long we had the same unit for quite some time, the minute we picked up a few players such as Tamme for example we could have released a player such as Clark out with the old in with the new, that how NFL works nothing personal against players its just the business, it makes since to keep your core players but not all of them, thats one reason among others the Patriots have been so successful they are not afraid to move on and change to what their new personell can do

Edit: Also Freeney does fit our system. Like what Robert Mathis tweeted, he will play the rush linebacker position.

What I don't like about Freeney in this system is that he's made a career of getting himself out of position to defend the run. Teams figured him out and have exploited this greatly. How much more of a liability will this become in his role in the 3-4? Dunno about that.

I'm no expert in these matters, just a thought I had on that.

I am very pleased with the O so far, WR is fine just not deep. TE is also a need.

CB is a "glaring" need... I see Indy going TE, WR, and CB in the draft after Luck.

This team is not going to be nearly as bad as some think.

I'd say NT, CB, RT, and TE.

Edit: Also Freeney does fit our system. Like what Robert Mathis tweeted, he will play the rush linebacker position.

I agree with 3 of the 4 but think cb or route running te and nt but i think RT will be fine . the CB TE and NT i believe to be the 3 top needs minus QB as all have already stated

The whole defense is a question since it's a new scheme. But it would appear we are probably ok at safety and maybe LB. DL appease the weakest.

On offense, not much depth or at WR, but probably won't be a priority. OL is going to be a huge question mark. RB is probably an area off weakness, but I don't see us doing anything significant there this year. TE seems like the biggest priority on offense right now. QB is obviously a question mark with a rookie.

BUT, we have some great kickers!!

I'm going with CB's here.

I'm not worried about TE as I believe we're gonna be OK there through the draft. It seems rookie TE's have been a fairly easy position to acclimate in today's NFL.

With all the buzz about Fleener, it's looking less and less likely that he'll be available for us @34. I feel we'd take him if he was, but highly unlikely at this point he'll be there. Orson Charles and Dwayne Allen are the only other two I see offering quality as immediate impacts. Both very sound blockers with great hands but there are maturity/off-the field questions surrounding Charles.

We gotta trust Griggs has one of them in his sights. If he lands us Fleener he'd be my new hero.

Do we have an inside O-linman that can move to center? O-line is one area I'm not very knowledgeable at. Well, O-lineman and women....I can't figure them out for nothin.

We signed Satele a few days ago. I'm pretty sure he is going to be the new center. I am rather excited to see the new O-line out there, have a feeling we are going to have a decent run game in upcoming years.

We signed Satele a few days ago. I'm pretty sure he is going to be the new center. I am rather excited to see the new O-line out there, have a feeling we are going to have a decent run game in upcoming years.

How could I forget that? lol.....thanks for reminding me. He's solid and his experience should be invaluable to Luck.

WR

We have Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie as only reliable options at the WR position. Blair White, Donnie Avery, Jeremy Ross, Jarred Fayson are all competitors for the 4-5th spot. Also injuries are a concern and would blow a big hole in our receiving corp. So we definitely have to draft 1-2 WR in this years draft. It would be nice to get Stephen Hill with our 2nd round pick if he falls. Also Brian Quick looks good in the mid rounds. The WR class is deep so we should get two got prospects.

TE

We only have Brody Eldridge on our roster and his strength is blocking not receiving. Coby Fleener would be nice but he is projected to go in the first round especially after his great perfomances at the combine and his pro day. The TE class isn't very deep but there are some interesting prospects in the mid to late rounds like James Hanna from Oklahoma. A veteran TE would be nice too and I wouldn't mind if we resign Dallas Clark for a reasonable price.

DT

Colts need a NT and at some point they will address the position at the draft. I would be fine with Nicolas Jean-Baptiste or Akiem Hicks in the mid rounds and a veteran DT. Probably not a long term solution but with so many holes we can't fill all position with 1 or 2nd round talent.

CB

Jerraud Powers is solid. Both Rucker and Thomas showed some promise but we need some help and the CB class is deep so we should get prospect even in the mid rounds.

I'm a bit torn because we could use all picks on our defense but also need some weapons and protection for Mr. Luck. As i mentioned before we can't address all holes adequate.

WR

We have Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie as only reliable options at the WR position. Blair White, Donnie Avery, Jeremy Ross, Jarred Fayson are all competitors for the 4-5th spot. Also injuries are a concern and would blow a big hole in our receiving corp. So we definitely have to draft 1-2 WR in this years draft. It would be nice to get Stephen Hill with our 2nd round pick if he falls. Also Brian Quick looks good in the mid rounds. The WR class is deep so we should get two got prospects.

TE

We only have Brody Eldridge on our roster and his strength is blocking not receiving. Coby Fleener would be nice but he is projected to go in the first round especially after his great perfomances at the combine and his pro day. The TE class isn't very deep but there are some interesting prospects in the mid to late rounds like James Hanna from Oklahoma. A veteran TE would be nice too and I wouldn't mind if we resign Dallas Clark for a reasonable price.

DT

Colts need a NT and at some point they will address the position at the draft. I would be fine with Nicolas Jean-Baptiste or Akiem Hicks in the mid rounds and a veteran DT. Probably not a long term solution but with so many holes we can't fill all position with 1 or 2nd round talent.

CB

Jerraud Powers is solid. Both Rucker and Thomas showed some promise but we need some help and the CB class is deep so we should get prospect even in the mid rounds.

I'm a bit torn because we could use all picks on our defense but also need some weapons and protection for Mr. Luck. As i mentioned before we can't address all holes adequate.

I agree with most of what you said and would like to add OG to that list...I'm hoping we can keep Ijalana at OT. Also, some added depth at both 4-3 and 3-4 DE would be nice if possible.

"Given Our Current Roster, Where Are We We The Weakest?"

Not meaning to be vague, but I would have to say veteran leadership as a whole. We just lost our team leader, the leader of the oline, the leader of the TE's, and we could still lose Dfree.