Here's my take:

Rivers is going to throw 30 picks this year

Mack is done for the year and our running game is going to suck

They should rename Deforest Buckner Deforest Bustner

Jonathan Taylor is a complete bust

Does Pittman even play for this team?

Our o-line has gone from being one of the best in the league to below average

What are your takes?

If you have made it this year, this is all total nonsense. Week one seems to be a disaster for the Colts every year, and every year the Chicken Littles scream that the sky is falling. Maybe this is the year they will be right, but let's give it a little time to find out.

Don’t know if this is all overreaction but here are my thoughts:

offense
the biggest loss today was Marlon Mack.  I’d like to just have one season where the colts don’t lose a key player for the year very early in the season.  
Frank got too cute at times.  The Jacoby play, running with Hines on 4th and short play, it didn’t burn them but I wasn’t a big fan of how he used his timeouts at the end of the half, no sense of urgency on either two minute drive, calling such a pass heavy offense.

This is what you get with Rivers and why he hasn’t had more success he has too many what are you doing throws?  Still he as an upgrade over Jacoby but still a downgrade from Luck.  
Way too much Hines running.  I get the sense Frank doesn’t trust Taylor but without Mack he’s going to have to get over that. If the Colts are going to count on Hines running the ball they are in big trouble.

The missed time from injuries showed with the line.

Hilton again showed me that he’s a really good WR but not a great WR.  Guys like Harrison and Wayne make those catches at the end of the game.   
Campbell looked good.

Taylor looked good catching the ball.  I would have liked to see more of him in general.

Defense

the first half reminded me of a pre-season game from them.  The base defense and nothing else and predictably the Jags picked it apart.  The second half they were a little more creative and they had a little more success getting to the QB and did a much better job vs the run.  However you can’t let Minshew go 19-20 vs you.  What on earth do you think guys like Watson, Rodgers, and Big Ben is going to do to them?  The secondary is a huge concern.  
Hooker continues to play his way out of Indy.

The only guy in the secondary who looks like he belongs in the NFL right now is Moore.  
It’s one game so I am not going to freak out but one game in and Buckner doesn’t look close to worth a first round pick.  
the defense as whole looked like they were on their heels today.  There was little attacking.  Even Leonard looked out like he was a step slow today.  I think that can be attributed a little to no pre-season and no real off-season program.  Still it was frustrating to see.

Houston is still a really good player.  If he keeps playing like he did today I’d go year to year with him on extensions.

STs

Coverage looked good on kickoffs but no punts so can’t judge that.

my frustration with how they used Hines continued to him not return punts once Mack went down.  He’s shouldn’t be the starting running back

Hot Rod’s miss was what it was.  He’s a rookie they do that.  Still it was time to move on from Adam but this shows why they were so hesitant to do it.  You don’t appreciate a good kicker until you don’t have one.  Still Adam was no longer a good kicker.  Still I can see why they were holding out hope he’d figure it out.

Take a knee on kick returns.  Didn’t expect to see Duhlin on returns.  He had a good one to start the game but the rest he should have taken a knee.

2 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

A pessimist looks at the results of this first game and thinks, "Well, crappola. There goes the AFC South title."

An optimist looks at the results of this first game and thinks, "Hot damm! We're off to a great start in the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes!"

Never thought about that! #Suck4Lawrence!

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

It’s week 1, and no preseason. And playing a divisional team we always have had issues with especially on road.

15 more games to play. And only one GB of the division lead

Call me after week 6 and we’ll talk.  And by then this team will have played together and should have meshed

I added more to your sentences if you can tell:)

I continue to contend that Rivers was not horrible. He wasn't great either... but he's not the reason we lost that game... 

Rivers is actually still damn good processing the game and finding the open receiver. ^ The problem is that sometimes he takes risks he shouldn't take with covered or even double covered receivers. And this PFF grade was with 2 absolutely horrendous picks.

I'm not worried about the offense. Well... not anymore worried than I usually am. The defense on the other hand... oh boy... :wall:

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I continue to contend that Rivers was not horrible. He wasn't great either... but he's not the reason we lost that game... 

Rivers is actually still damn good processing the game and finding the open receiver. ^ The problem is that sometimes he takes risks he shouldn't take with covered or even double covered receivers. And this PFF grade was with 2 absolutely horrendous picks.

I'm not worried about the offense. Well... not anymore worried than I usually am. The defense on the other hand... oh boy... 

OLine played like crap yesterday. I’m with you on the defense. We need to find an answer to get off the field on 3rd downs. Also the corners need to play better. Minshew had a way too easy 3rd down completion. 

I really enjoy the folks who say "its only the first game, the fellas will do better, the sky is not falling".

well, this will quickly turn into," we are 4 - 4. we can still make the playoffs at 8-8 if we can get healthy".

Time fly's. Who are you going to beat at 8-8? The 8-8 Jaguars? I don't think so.....

Ok ... we lost to the bottom ranked team in the NFL. A team that traded away all their impact players .

Here's my take....

It's a bad loss that falls mostly on the coaching staff , with the rest on some really untimely penalties.

We out-gained them 450 to 250 and had a chance to put them away early. Handing the ball to our smallest RB on that 4th and 1 was a bad play call. The rest of the offensive play calling was "meh" IMO. The defense was painfully conservative and soft . 

Rivers was pretty good and TY really disappointed with consecutive drops to end the game. Very disappointing and bad loss. We no doubt have way more talent than Jax and that points to either crazy bad breaks or coaching. I think the latter.

That was a preview of coming attraction. If they can't beat one of the worst team in the NFL, what makes you think they can beat Minnesota. Vikings who were in the playoffs last year, they have a better Coach all around, we have a gunslinger  that's throws to other team, they have a better coaching staff.  You're looking at 0-4 around the corner at which time Ballard has to make a decision on a HC and on our way in the running of drafting #1 overall for Trevor.

14 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Never thought about that! #Suck4Lawrence!

You got it wrong.   They just wanted to make sure the Jags are not in the drivers seat to get him.   Don't want him in the division.   If the Colts/Titans and Texans each sacrifice a game, chances are the Jags won't get him.

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Don’t know if this is all overreaction but here are my thoughts:

offense
the biggest loss today was Marlon Mack.  I’d like to just have one season where the colts don’t lose a key player for the year very early in the season.  
Frank got too cute at times.  The Jacoby play, running with Hines on 4th and short play, it didn’t burn them but I wasn’t a big fan of how he used his timeouts at the end of the half, no sense of urgency on either two minute drive, calling such a pass heavy offense.

This is what you get with Rivers and why he hasn’t had more success he has too many what are you doing throws?  Still he as an upgrade over Jacoby but still a downgrade from Luck.  
Way too much Hines running.  I get the sense Frank doesn’t trust Taylor but without Mack he’s going to have to get over that. If the Colts are going to count on Hines running the ball they are in big trouble.

The missed time from injuries showed with the line.

Hilton again showed me that he’s a really good WR but not a great WR.  Guys like Harrison and Wayne make those catches at the end of the game.   
Campbell looked good.

Taylor looked good catching the ball.  I would have liked to see more of him in general.

Defense

the first half reminded me of a pre-season game from them.  The base defense and nothing else and predictably the Jags picked it apart.  The second half they were a little more creative and they had a little more success getting to the QB and did a much better job vs the run.  However you can’t let Minshew go 19-20 vs you.  What on earth do you think guys like Watson, Rodgers, and Big Ben is going to do to them?  The secondary is a huge concern.  
Hooker continues to play his way out of Indy.

The only guy in the secondary who looks like he belongs in the NFL right now is Moore.  
It’s one game so I am not going to freak out but one game in and Buckner doesn’t look close to worth a first round pick.  
the defense as whole looked like they were on their heels today.  There was little attacking.  Even Leonard looked out like he was a step slow today.  I think that can be attributed a little to no pre-season and no real off-season program.  Still it was frustrating to see.

Houston is still a really good player.  If he keeps playing like he did today I’d go year to year with him on extensions.

STs

Coverage looked good on kickoffs but no punts so can’t judge that.

my frustration with how they used Hines continued to him not return punts once Mack went down.  He’s shouldn’t be the starting running back

Hot Rod’s miss was what it was.  He’s a rookie they do that.  Still it was time to move on from Adam but this shows why they were so hesitant to do it.  You don’t appreciate a good kicker until you don’t have one.  Still Adam was no longer a good kicker.  Still I can see why they were holding out hope he’d figure it out.

Take a knee on kick returns.  Didn’t expect to see Duhlin on returns.  He had a good one to start the game but the rest he should have taken a knee.

Hines has been given red zone between the tackle carries even when Mack was healthy, as far as the 2018 Redskins game, if I can remember for mixing it up so that teams expecting a pass will be surprised. Frank obviously believes in him, which is why despite his 2018 pre-season fumbles, Hines has been a regular feature on our RB corps and pass catching.

I agree that Frank should not dip into the Hines well too much for between the tackles running but there is nothing wrong in mixing it up. I also agree that they should start featuring someone else for punt returns now that Hines became a tad more valuable to us. As far as I can remember, Belichick has used Edelman for punt returns and he has been smart enough to not get banged up. Using a WR is a wise option given the depth there for punt returns. Kick returns, yes, just take a knee.

Cut down turnovers on offense, get 3rd down defensive conversion to 33% or less, take advantage of every possible chance to put points on the board. Like with AV's misses last year, being down a FG just gives the other team the freedom to not have to worry about scoring a TD vs being down 6 points. So, yes, missed kicks do matter., rookie or not.

I was only able to see the second half of the game, so here is what I saw...

QB play was as I expected. If PR can get past feeling like he has to do it all, his contributions will get even better. 

RB play was below what I expected, but MM going down thrust JT into far more carries than anyone expected. He did well catching the ball, but he was in his first pro game without a single preseason game against competition. Any criticism of JT at this point is off base. 

WR play was mixed. TY is still a big deal for us, but it is tough when he has two drops. I don't see that as a worry issue, just an unfortunate day for him. We need him big time. Campy looks good, and I am excited to watch him grow. 

TE play was solid. Still unsure about the validity of that personal foul on JD. Nice to see Mo get a catch. Was that for a first down?

O-line play was below their usual standards. Injuries? Play calling? They protected PR great, but I don;t remember too many alleys to run through. 

D-line play did little to attract attention. Buckner is new, but there was very little pressure by the line. 

LB play was pretty average. Made some plays, but certainly did not dominate. I remember Darius starting slow last year as well. I have said this would be a breakout year for Bobby but he didn't show that in this game. 

Secondary play was the worst on the team IMO. That one early second half pass interference play was bogus IMO. That gave the Jags some momentum, and killed ours. 

ST play was solid. The one missed FG was tipped. No punting to judge. 

Concerned about the defensive scheme, and disappointed in some of Franks calls, but overall, I expect marked improvement for game 2 in his game calls. TY doesn't drop those, that long pass interference call doesn't happen, and Mack doesn't go down, this game is likely a big win. Relax...sometimes the other team does things better that day. 

Onward and upward. 

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hines has been given red zone between the tackle carries even when Mack was healthy, as far as the 2018 Redskins game, if I can remember for mixing it up so that teams expecting a pass will be surprised. Frank obviously believes in him, which is why despite his 2018 pre-season fumbles, Hines has been a regular feature on our RB corps and pass catching.

I agree that Frank should not dip into the Hines well too much for between the tackles running but there is nothing wrong in mixing it up. I also agree that they should start featuring someone else for punt returns now that Hines became a tad more valuable to us. As far as I can remember, Belichick has used Edelman for punt returns and he has been smart enough to not get banged up. Using a WR is a wise option given the depth there for punt returns. Kick returns, yes, just take a knee.

Cut down turnovers on offense, get 3rd down defensive conversion to 33% or less, take advantage of every possible chance to put points on the board. Like with AV's misses last year, being down a FG just gives the other team the freedom to not have to worry about scoring a TD vs being down 6 points. So, yes, missed kicks do matter., rookie or not.

It would be one thing if they were mixing it up with him, they were using him as the lead back after Mack went out.  Hines is not that kind of back.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

We really weren't terrible on defensing 3rd downs. Something like 7-14. Not good but that wasn't the reason why we lost. Someone was saying the missed FG was tipped. Watching it , I was wondering the same. If so , it wasn't really wasn't a  low kick ... just a great play.

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

We really weren't terrible on defensing 3rd downs. Something like 7-14. Not good but that wasn't the reason why we lost. Someone was saying the missed FG was tipped. Watching it , I was wondering the same. If so , it wasn't really wasn't a  low kick ... just a great play.

Hey, only 2 teams gave up 88% or higher completion percentage in yesterday's games - Falcons to Russell Wilson and Colts to Minshew (95%). 3rd down defense was part of the problem, though not the entire problem on D.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

It would be one thing if they were mixing it up with him, they were using him as the lead back after Mack went out.  Hines is not that kind of back.

True, but in locker rooms, and in the coaches mind, sometimes guys have toiled long an hard for the chance to be "The guy". HInes earned his shot. I think he'll be given another shot as well. Just speculation on my part...

This is not an overreaction to week 1, but to the Flus defense.

At some point, Reich has to admit that it needs to change.  We've known for years that it didn't work against good QBs. 

I'm not sure if we'd call Minshew a good QB but giving up Drew Brees completion percentages stats is ridiculous.

Yes, the offense lost the game with mistakes and horrible bad play calling.  That can be fixed.  I'm not sure what can be done with that defense.

It was a serious letdown from Reich downward. It started with the kneeling during the national anthem and he looked tired, gaunt and lost. Dozens of breakdowns by the defense all day long. Rhodes was as expected out to lunch and that left many receivers wide open (19 of 20 for Uncle Rico) Rivers kept throwing of his back foot and it caused the ball to float on contested plays. If he cannot put more zip on the ball this will be a long season. He made a few horrible decisions. He was bailed out of the third interception (i had no idea what he was thinking on that one) Reich needs to really let our "star" player hear it from such a lackadaisical effort on Sunday. I am anxious to see how we play next week against a very ticked off Vikings team 

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It was a serious letdown from Reich downward. It started with the kneeling during the national anthem and he looked tired, gaunt and lost. Dozens of breakdowns by the defense all day long. Rhodes was as expected out to lunch and that left many receivers wide open (19 of 20 for Uncle Rico) Rivers kept throwing of his back foot and it caused the ball to float on contested plays. If he cannot put more zip on the ball this will be a long season. He made a few horrible decisions. He was bailed out of the third interception (i had no idea what he was thinking on that one) Reich needs to really let our "star" player hear it from such a lackadaisical effort on Sunday. I am anxious to see how we play next week against a very ticked off Vikings team 

As Ballard needs to let Reich hear it for a horribly called game.   Despite the INT's, Rivers had the team driving to send the game to OT when Hilton dropped 2 easily catch-able balls.  Rivers should let Hilton hear it too.  Lot's of blame to go around. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Hey, only 2 teams gave up 88% or higher completion percentage in yesterday's games - Falcons to Russell Wilson and Colts to Minshew (95%). 3rd down defense was part of the problem, though not the entire problem on D.

Was just saying that we allowed 5 of 10 3rd down conversions. Not good but not horrible. The pass defense was terrible as you say but just to be the "devil's advocate" , factor the following into that 18-19. 

Minshew threw short all game long. The "kicker" to this is he did this regardless of the situation. He went short on all the 3rd and longs and short on the downs that followed penalties and sacks. We were giving them those little routes way in front of the markers . That probably accounts for 7-8 of those completions ? The 3 times he went deep , we had a questionable PI and 2 busted coverages. Not to say that both the LB's and DB's weren't bad as you suggest , just saying that we had miserable play calling and drive killing penalties . That IMO was the major reason we lost that game. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

True, but in locker rooms, and in the coaches mind, sometimes guys have toiled long an hard for the chance to be "The guy". HInes earned his shot. I think he'll be given another shot as well. Just speculation on my part...

Hines wasn’t drafted for that.  You have another guy in the roster in Taylor who was.  So if Frank does that it’s the wrong decision IMO.

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I don't remember seeing the Colts make a statement about what they drafted him for. Perhaps I missed that. 

Look at how they have used him.  It doesn’t take much to see that he’s used as a pass catching third down type back.  Also anytime the Colts talk about him it’s as a pass catcher out of the backfield and in the third down/2 minute drill back role.  Also they drafted Taylor to have a two headed monster running the ball with Mack.  That was with Hines on the roster.  It’s pretty clear from everything they have said and done they don’t  see him as an every down back.  

Archived