QB Room 2020  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What does the QB room look like in 2020

• Rivers, JB, Eason
    • Rivers, Eason, Kelly
    • Rivers, JB, Kelly
    • Other

22 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

There is no doubt that Chad is a better QB than Brissett.

How can we afford to keep Brissett who is nothing more than a "Checkdown Charlie" and a short crossing route passer?

Yes there is doubt. Your opinion does not make it fact. 

Sorry, I will trust those who see Kelly everyday in practices over your uninformed opinion. 

13 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i know this topic triggers a lot of people but what has eason done to get the spot over kelly?  he wasnt better in college 

From what I understand, Eason will won the job because he’s the rookie. From what I’ve learned, Reich and Ballard apparently aren’t as thrilled with Kelly as many of you seem to be. If they liked him, don’t you think they would have given him a chance to start last season rather than give the reigns to Brian Hoyer. Maybe he really just isn’t as great as people want to believe, whereas the team will be more interested in seeing what they have in Eason, who before the draft was pegged as a late 1st, early 2nd prospect that fell to the 4th. 

14 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I do, but what have you seen in the pros that make you think he can start and win games?  He was pick 253 and has never started a game in 3 seasons.  He was probably the hottest he could be coming into his rookie year, fresh off 2 good seasons at Ole Miss.  He couldn't beat out Paxton Lynch and Case Keenum in Denver.  He came to the Colts and couldn't sniff the field and was placed on the practice squad, where anyone could sign him, and they didn't.  I'm just saying, Eason is younger and has way more upside.

He did beat our Paxton Lynch in 2018 after impressing in camp...and he might have taken over as starter during the season when Keenum was bad...but then the off-field stuff happened.

3 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

There is no doubt that Chad is a better QB than Brissett.

How can we afford to keep Brissett who is nothing more than a "Checkdown Charlie" and a short crossing route passer?

There is no doubt?     Seriously?

Brissett has done his work against first team NFL opposition.    Kelly has done his work against 2nd and 3rd stringers in meaningless pre-season games.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you want,  but it's certainly not supported by fact-base evidence.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There is no doubt?     Seriously?

Brissett has done his work against first team NFL opposition.    Kelly has done his work against 2nd and 3rd stringers in meaningless pre-season games.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you want,  but it's certainly not supported by fact-base evidence.

The fact-based evidence is that Chad Kelly didn't ever get a fair opportunity to show what he can do. I've told you this before. Brissett was injured, defenses and other teams had him figured out, and the only other option at the time was Brian Hoyer, and Reich still stubbornly kept him in there. That's fact-based evidence.

If Kelly would of done better than Brissett (which wouldn't of been that hard), then there would be lots of questions by the media if Chad would of been the backup before the draft, or would he get a chance to start (before we signed Rivers). By not starting Kelly, Reich would get to say the same drivel that you said that I put in bold. Of course Kelly has only done his work against 2nd and 3rd stringers, Reich sabotaged him just to try and get some old school message across and be right about Brissett.

Brissett did his work against first team NFL competition alright, he embarrased this franchise and made the Colts unwatchable. The only thing worse was the Coach who sabotaged a young talent in Chad Kelly so he could stroke his own ego and couldn't be proven wrong.

Funny, in two years, I hate Reich more than I ever hated Pagano. I can at least blame Pagano's failure on Grigson, no excuse for Reich. It's not like Ballard is a bad GM. Reich just makes bad decisions, over and over again.

The unpopular opinion of fans is that a player “never got his chance in a game” mantra.  Princeton Tiger said it best on here about this subject.  24/7/365 is a players chance.  As a former head coach I always had people who felt the “chance” for a player should come in a game.  That simply is not true.  

Another opinion by fans is that coaches play politics, or try to save face with starters that are used in any game.  The desire to win is overpowering.  To say an NFL head coach has a hidden agenda for who plays or not is ridiculous.

Couldn’t keep from replying. Sorry to continue the “debate .”

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The fact-based evidence is that Chad Kelly didn't ever get a fair opportunity to show what he can do. I've told you this before. Brissett was injured, defenses and other teams had him figured out, and the only other option at the time was Brian Hoyer, and Reich still stubbornly kept him in there. That's fact-based evidence.

If Kelly would of done better than Brissett (which wouldn't of been that hard), then there would be lots of questions by the media if Chad would of been the backup before the draft, or would he get a chance to start (before we signed Rivers). By not starting Kelly, Reich would get to say the same drivel that you said that I put in bold. Of course Kelly has only done his work against 2nd and 3rd stringers, Reich sabotaged him just to try and get some old school message across and be right about Brissett.

Brissett did his work against first team NFL competition alright, he embarrased this franchise and made the Colts unwatchable. The only thing worse was the Coach who sabotaged a young talent in Chad Kelly so he could stroke his own ego and couldn't be proven wrong.

Funny, in two years, I hate Reich more than I ever hated Pagano. I can at least blame Pagano's failure on Grigson, no excuse for Reich. It's not like Ballard is a bad GM. Reich just makes bad decisions, over and over again.

It is Jared being Jared haha . Reich is a good coach so calm down lmao . JB is a solid backup but not a good starter we all know that. JB will be gone after this year anyway (more than likely). 

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You can’t even tell the difference between facts and opinion.    What you wrote is almost entirely opinion.   Embarrassing too.

I don’t know why you included the part about “having told me this before.”   As if that was supposed to mean something?   It was wrong the first time, it’s still wrong today. 

Posts like this are incredibly unhelpful to your cause, whatever that is....

10 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

who before the draft was pegged as a late 1st, early 2nd prospect that fell to the 4th. 

most articles i read said he would fall and some thought he could be a 6-7th round pick.  im glad we got him, this was supposed to be an interesting camp battle between him and chad.  

this is not a dead horse topic at all imo, i could see one or both landing on the practice squad for now though. you can protect PS players this year 

i do think jacoby will be #2 on the roster this year no matter what happens, though next year is very much up in the air for every single QB on the team 

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It simply amazes me how Ballard and the coaches are praised on how great they are building this team and how much of a better roster we have now than in the past.

But yet when it comes to Kelly they are holding him back and are stupid for not advancing him on the roster. 

Add the fact they haven't cut Brissett. 

All I can say is I am sure glad we have Ballard and crew running things rather than a few fans in a forum. 

i do think they were not going to play him no matter what last year.  i say this because JB was horrible in a couple games, especially against the saints.  that performance should be unacceptable for a qb yet they let him do it for two straight games.  even ty was calling out the team after the jags game, he worked his butt off to come back and his QB crapped the bed pretty hard 

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i do think they were not going to play him no matter what last year.  i say this because JB was horrible in a couple games, especially against the saints.  that performance should be unacceptable for a qb yet they let him do it for two straight games.  even ty was calling out the team after the jags game, he worked his butt off to come back and his QB crapped the bed pretty hard 

You can overlook the games he played really well. That is your choice. 

You can also overlook that he had an injury that effected his playing. That is also your choice.

What you can't overlook is Ballard and Reich are the ones who made the choices. 

If you think those two were not wanting to win then you are sadly mistaken. 

I think Ballard is a better strategic thinker than most of the fan base. While some strategies will fail, better strategies will succeed more often. From purely a tactical point of view, Brissett would make sense, but I get the feeling that Eason and Kelly are better strategic choices, however. We'll see.

Really what it boils down too is, Rivers is our #1 and will probably make the HOF, Brissett is a solid backup and only on the books for this season so he is #2. Ballard and Reich no better than me but I would like to see Chad at #3 and Eason on the PS protected. It is all opinion as of now to who is better between Chad and Eason, neither has played a regular season game. Because of the Covid we will keep 4 QB's one way or another IMO.

On 7/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Smonroe said:

IMO, those are the reasons Ballard won't trade JB.  He's one of the top backups in the league.  If we really think this team has a shot, we don't want to go with an unproven QB if something should happen to Rivers.

Back to Kelly vs Eason.  Someone asked what has Kelly done to earn the spot over Eason.  Neither have real NFL experience, but Kelly has been with the Colts, knows the playbook, and has played well in the preseason.  He had a better college career than Eason.  Plus, he's the second fastest QB in the league!

All that being said, I think Eason is the #3 unless they protect him on the PS somehow.

Fair point. Will be fun to watch

I think of you are having the wrong conversation about Eason over Kelly when it should really be why we should keep Eason over Brissett.  We know very little about Eason. We know he has a big arm, is a gunslinger, and is raw.  But we also know that Brissett can't throw the ball long, always looks to check down, processes very slowly, and has a very bad record as the Colts starting QB.  Being that Rivers has shown to be an iron man in his career, I would cut or try to trade Brissett, make Eason the backup, and Kelly can be on the PS again.  It is very unlikely that any backup will play this year.  But I honestly have more faith in Eason making a few big plays in a game than Jacoby Brissett.  Jacoby is one of the worst QBs I have ever seen on the Colts.  I don't want to hear about injuries or 5-2.  We won early because of a running attack and teams didn't have much film on Jacoby in Reich's offense.  Once they figured out he was always going to go to his first reach or check down, they bottled him up.  I think Eason could hand the ball off 30 times with a few play action bombs thrown in.  I would roll that dice.  I don't think we gain anything by having Brissett on the team.

16 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think of you are having the wrong conversation about Eason over Kelly when it should really be why we should keep Eason over Brissett.  We know very little about Eason. We know he has a big arm, is a gunslinger, and is raw.  But we also know that Brissett can't throw the ball long, always looks to check down, processes very slowly, and has a very bad record as the Colts starting QB.  Being that Rivers has shown to be an iron man in his career, I would cut or try to trade Brissett, make Eason the backup, and Kelly can be on the PS again.  It is very unlikely that any backup will play this year.  But I honestly have more faith in Eason making a few big plays in a game than Jacoby Brissett.  Jacoby is one of the worst QBs I have ever seen on the Colts.  I don't want to hear about injuries or 5-2.  We won early because of a running attack and teams didn't have much film on Jacoby in Reich's offense.  Once they figured out he was always going to go to his first reach or check down, they bottled him up.  I think Eason could hand the ball off 30 times with a few play action bombs thrown in.  I would roll that dice.  I don't think we gain anything by having Brissett on the team.

That is the reason we have Ballard running this team. Not unhappy fans from a forum. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is the reason we have Ballard running this team. Not unhappy fans from a forum. 

I will wait patiently to see Ballard's ultimate decision. Whatever the final outcome on quarterbacks, at least he has interesting options.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, crazycolt1 said:

This off season has been especially long. 

Just a rehash of the same old threads made over and over. 

I always tune out a few weeks after the draft and until the start of camp. Just too much of the same to discuss. Can't wait to hear some news from camp!

• 2 weeks later...

Reich responded today to a question about whether the Colts will keep 2 or 3 QBs on the roster this season:

“Chris (Ballard) and I talk about it all the time. That’s to be determined but all options are open as we continue to progress forward and see where the roster is at that time. We will weigh the pros and cons of going with two versus going with three.”

On 7/28/2020 at 12:45 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you think JB sucks but he is a solid backup. If something happens to Rivers, JB can fill in for a game or 2. After this season JB will be gone so then you can celebrate lmao 

I agree. As long as it was just spot duty, I agree JB should be the back up to get us through a short term Rivers injury. If however Rivers went down for the season early, I'd prefer to see what the young guys have to offer for the future.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree. As long as it was just spot duty, I agree JB should be the back up to get us through a short term Rivers injury. If however Rivers went down for the season early, I'd prefer to see what the young guys have to offer for the future.

Yeah if rivers has a long term injury get the young guys experience. We have a good team they might surprise everyone. 

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah if rivers has a long term injury get the young guys experience. We have a good team they might surprise everyone. 

JB is a safe guy to get us over a short term hump, but I think we all know his limitations. Love the guy, hate his salary, but he's the guy I'd want manning the ship if Rivers was out a game or so. I just don't want to go through another season with the limitations he brings. I'd rather see one of the young kids get an opportunity to make a case for a long term answer. 

As for the OP, I think we'll carry 3 QBs on the active roster, and one on the PS. It could be a wacky year with Covid, so I'm more than OK with carrying 3+1. Having the option to protect PS guys is also nice. I'd prefer to segregate 2 of them from the other 2.

I'd actually prefer they segregate the 2 deep (all positions) from everyone else, and also the D from the O. I read something a while back that they're looking at all kinds of ways to keep folks away from each other, including multiple rooms for the same position groups, etc.

Archived