Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
BleedBlue4Shoe86

Predict 2020 Quarterback Room

QB Room 2020  

53 members have voted

  1. 1. What does the QB room look like in 2020

    • Rivers, JB, Eason
      36
    • Rivers, Eason, Kelly
      9
    • Rivers, JB, Kelly
      4
    • Other
      5


Recommended Posts

I have seen alot of stuff on here about who should be kept and who should be cut.  I personally think the QB room will Rivers, Brissett, Eason.  I know we can save a lot of money with cutting Brissett, but in these uncertain times of COVID-19, I think they will want someone who can and has started before.  If Rivers gets hurt.  I think Kelly is the odd man out and he gets cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know this topic triggers a lot of people but what has eason done to get the spot over kelly?  he wasnt better in college 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i know this topic triggers a lot of people but what has eason done to get the spot over kelly?  he wasnt better in college 

Eason is 4 years younger and has none of the off the field issues that Kelly has had.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Eason is 4 years younger and has none of the off the field issues that Kelly has had.  

thats not a good answer imo, the nfl isnt a contest to see who the youngest, nicest guy is

 

If Ballard and Reich say chad has not been a personality problem, then its not a problem 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats not a good answer imo, the nfl isnt a contest to see who the youngest, nicest guy is

 

If Ballard and Reich say chad has not been a personality problem, then its not a problem 

Eason is under contract in 2021 CK is not

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Eason is under contract in 2021 CK is not

not an issue, the colts could sign him to a cheap contract and i dont believe other teams can even bid for him

 

you already said you would not play chad no matter what anyway because you cant get over his off the field stuff.  he would not still be here if the team felt that way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This off season has been especially long. 

Just a rehash of the same old threads made over and over. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i know this topic triggers a lot of people but what has eason done to get the spot over kelly?  he wasnt better in college 

Okay I'll play the devils advocate. What has Kelly done to get the spot over Eason?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

This off season has been especially long. 

Just a rehash of the same old threads made over and over. 

the team is spending record money on QBs this year, but dont have anyone signed going forward besides Eason

this is going to be a big topic all year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

not an issue, the colts could sign him to a cheap contract and i dont believe other teams can even bid for him

 

you already said you would not play chad no matter what anyway because you cant get over his off the field stuff.  he would not still be here if the team felt that way 

Ant other team in the NFL can sign Kelly if he is on the practice squad. 

They sure can sign him if he is not under contract.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Okay I'll play the devils advocate. What has Kelly done to get the spot over Eason?

hes been here a year, earned praise from the gm and was arguably better in college too

 

has eason even reported to the team yet?

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ant other team in the NFL can sign Kelly if he is on the practice squad. 

right now he isnt on the PS.  nfl contract tenders can be confusing but i believe the colts have some rights with kelly now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats not a good answer imo, the nfl isnt a contest to see who the youngest, nicest guy is

 

If Ballard and Reich say chad has not been a personality problem, then its not a problem 

It is not a matter of who is nicer.  But if you want to look at college career,

 

Kelly

got into a sideline argument with his coaches over a fourth-down call in a spring game. Sometime before that game, he told the coaching staff he’d quit football entirely if he weren’t named the starter. But after the spring game blowup, Kelly was kicked off the Clemson roster.

 

Arrested back in Buffalo eight months later after getting kicked out of a local restaurant, later attempting to re-enter the restaurant and then punching a bouncer after refusing to leave the restaurant a second time. According to police reports, Kelly, who had committed to Ole Miss a week before, allegedly threatened to “go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place.” 

 

In 2016 he rushed onto a high school football field during a brawl. He was restrained by coaches.

 

Lets not forget what he did in Denver.

 

It is not a matter of being a choir boy, but just being smart.  Which he has proven in the least bit.  Everyone needs to realize there is no way Ballard is gonna hand the franchise over to him.

 

Finally, they have the same amount of starting NFL QB experience... NONE, lol.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

It is not a matter of who is nicer.  But if you want to look at college career,

 

Kelly

got into a sideline argument with his coaches over a fourth-down call in a spring game. Sometime before that game, he told the coaching staff he’d quit football entirely if he weren’t named the starter. But after the spring game blowup, Kelly was kicked off the Clemson roster.

 

Arrested back in Buffalo eight months later after getting kicked out of a local restaurant, later attempting to re-enter the restaurant and then punching a bouncer after refusing to leave the restaurant a second time. According to police reports, Kelly, who had committed to Ole Miss a week before, allegedly threatened to “go to my car and get my AK-47 and spray this place.” 

 

In 2016 he rushed onto a high school football field during a brawl. He was restrained by coaches.

 

Lets not forget what he did in Denver.

 

It is not a matter of being a choir boy, but just being smart.  Which he has proven in the least bit.  Everyone needs to realize there is no way Ballard is gonna hand the franchise over to him.

 

Finally, they have the same amount of starting NFL QB experience... NONE, lol.

 

he would not be here if those things were a big deal.

 

you realize people have done much worse and still play in the league right??  these things are really petty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

the team is spending record money on QBs this year, but dont have anyone signed going forward besides Eason

this is going to be a big topic all year 

I understand that but why just keeping harping over the same thing over and over?

Ballard has already said what is happening.

For the 500th time, River will start, Brissett we be the back up and Eason and Kelly will compete for the 3rd spot. I don't know how much plainer things can be said. Could that change? Yes, it's the NFL. 

Rehashing all this to the point of nausea serves no one at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Eason and Kelly will compete for the 3rd spot.

thats what we are talking about.  its interesting because there is no preseason now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aaron11 said:

he would not be here if those things were a big deal.

 

you realize people have done much worse and still play in the league right??

I do, but what have you seen in the pros that make you think he can start and win games?  He was pick 253 and has never started a game in 3 seasons.  He was probably the hottest he could be coming into his rookie year, fresh off 2 good seasons at Ole Miss.  He couldn't beat out Paxton Lynch and Case Keenum in Denver.  He came to the Colts and couldn't sniff the field and was placed on the practice squad, where anyone could sign him, and they didn't.  I'm just saying, Eason is younger and has way more upside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

 He couldn't beat out Paxton Lynch and Case Keenum in Denver.  

thats an interesting topic, i went to the denver forums and a lot of people there thought chad was the most talented qb on the roster and that the team gave up on him too quickly after the strange incident at the party in denver

 

ftr no one here is saying to hand chad the keys to the colts, we are talking about the future backup and third string

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

thats what we are talking about.  its interesting because there is no preseason now 

Personally I am not thinking or worrying about Eason or Kelly. 

I am more interested in if there is even going to be a NFL season. That's a much more pressing issue than 2 players who are at the end of the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we care so much about who the third QB is :sigh:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ant other team in the NFL can sign Kelly if he is on the practice squad. 

They sure can sign him if he is not under contract.

 

There’s a new thread now posted about NEW practice squad rules this year.   Among the new rules, that each team can protect 4 of their 16 PS players each week.  The four can change week to week.   So if the Colts want to protect Kelly from being claimed off the PS they can. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I do, but what have you seen in the pros that make you think he can start and win games?  He was pick 253 and has never started a game in 3 seasons.  He was probably the hottest he could be coming into his rookie year, fresh off 2 good seasons at Ole Miss.  He couldn't beat out Paxton Lynch and Case Keenum in Denver.  He came to the Colts and couldn't sniff the field and was placed on the practice squad, where anyone could sign him, and they didn't.  I'm just saying, Eason is younger and has way more upside.

He was puck 253 based on his off-field troubles, NOT due to his football talent.  The kid has skills.  His lack of playing in the NFL is more about his off the field issues than his on the field issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Why do we care so much about who the third QB is :sigh:

its just an offseason topic, you start tons of these yourself

 

i think its important, maybe eason is the future starter, maybe chad is actually better than jacoby.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, do you even think Kelly would be on the Colts roster had Reich not been best buds with Jim Kelly? 

Let's be real here and not muddle the waters. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its just an offseason topic, you start tons of these yourself

 

i think its important, maybe eason is the future starter, maybe chad is actually better than jacoby.  

 

Not topics that have been beaten to death.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was puck 253 based on his off-field troubles, NOT due to his football talent.  The kid has skills.  His lack of playing in the NFL is more about his off the field issues than his on the field issues.

Quote

To be honest, he was pick 253 because his last season he torn his ACL and then the NFL rescinded his invitation to the NFL Combine.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Not topics that have been beaten to death.

somebody making you read these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is probably not conventional wisdom, but I think it will be Rivers, Kelly and Eason. We just saw today that less than a week into the MLB season, one of the teams roster got blown up by COVID. I believe if one or two teams lose starters to injury and maybe a couple more lose starters to COVID, someone will make Ballard a reasonable offer for JB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hark said:

I know this is probably not conventional wisdom, but I think it will be Rivers, Kelly and Eason. We just saw today that less than a week into the MLB season, one of the teams roster got blown up by COVID. I believe if one or two teams lose starters to injury and maybe a couple more lose starters to COVID, someone will make Ballard a reasonable offer for JB.

 

IMO, those are the reasons Ballard won't trade JB.  He's one of the top backups in the league.  If we really think this team has a shot, we don't want to go with an unproven QB if something should happen to Rivers.

 

Back to Kelly vs Eason.  Someone asked what has Kelly done to earn the spot over Eason.  Neither have real NFL experience, but Kelly has been with the Colts, knows the playbook, and has played well in the preseason.  He had a better college career than Eason.  Plus, he's the second fastest QB in the league!

 

All that being said, I think Eason is the #3 unless they protect him on the PS somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting note about Chad Kelly. His numbers and QB rankings (143.9 partial season) and (155.9) (season highest 4.040 yards passing) were better than Dak Prescott (151 and 151.7) (season highest 3,800 yards passing) and Eason (143.9 at Washington) (3,100 yards passing) and while playing in the SEC (120.2 Georgia) (2,400 passing yards - playing in 13 games).  Dak is a franchise QB and Eason has played 1 year at Washington, college football.  Let the field decide the strongest COLT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishful thinking is "A", but logically "B" makes more sense based on experience in the back up QB position...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacoby ratings at Florida and North Carolina State were never over 136.7.  Yards passing per season two years of 2,600, his last two seasons.  Phillip Rivers senior season at North Carolina State 170.5 and 4,500 yards passing, in 2003.  In 2002, his rating was 141.1 and 3353 yards passing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It simply amazes me how Ballard and the coaches are praised on how great they are building this team and how much of a better roster we have now than in the past.

But yet when it comes to Kelly they are holding him back and are stupid for not advancing him on the roster. 

Add the fact they haven't cut Brissett. 

All I can say is I am sure glad we have Ballard and crew running things rather than a few fans in a forum. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Honestly, do you even think Kelly would be on the Colts roster had Reich not been best buds with Jim Kelly? 

Let's be real here and not muddle the waters. 

Since we initially first signed Kelly, we tore up Kelly’s old contract and gave him a large bump.   The Colts made Kelly the highest paid practice player in the NFL.   I think it’s safe to say having Kelly on the roster is far beyond Reich doing Jim Kelly a friendly favor.

 

We’re  invested in the kid.   Our decisions are professional not personal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

 

Kelly had high level NFL skills before his injury.  Maybe not first round skills, maybe not even Day Two skills, but he had much more than end of the 7th round skills.  
 

He wasn’t picked at the end of the draft because he simply wasn’t very good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m indifferent on the 3rd string battle at the moment. I honestly believe the team’s future starter is not yet on the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since we initially first signed Kelly, we tore up Kelly’s old contract and gave him a large bump.   The Colts made Kelly the highest paid practice player in the NFL.   I think it’s safe to say having Kelly on the roster is far beyond Reich doing Jim Kelly a friendly favor.

 

We’re  invested in the kid.   Our decisions are professional not personal. 

Yeah I made the comment to be sarcastic. 

This is entirely too much attention given to a player who has zero starts in the NFL. He would have never been off the practice squad had it not been for an injury to Brissettt. 

As far as we know not one other GM in the league has shown one bit of interest in Kelly. 

As much as QBs are needed all over the NFL especially at the back up position, not one other team has even risk a league minimum contract on him. 

Personally, I think that speaks for itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, aaron11 said:

its just an offseason topic, you start tons of these yourself

 

i think its important, maybe eason is the future starter, maybe chad is actually better than jacoby.  

There is no doubt that Chad is a better QB than Brissett.

How can we afford to keep Brissett who is nothing more than a "Checkdown Charlie" and a short crossing route passer?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

There is no doubt that Chad is a better QB than Brissett.

How can we afford to keep Brissett who is nothing more than a "Checkdown Charlie" and a short crossing route passer?

 

I know you think JB sucks but he is a solid backup. If something happens to Rivers, JB can fill in for a game or 2. After this season JB will be gone so then you can celebrate lmao 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...