Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We might have only two preseason games

If this happens I assume we will see starters play one quarter both games. We will see each QB play one quarter each game also. I really want to see Eason play so bad. But the preseason should only be two games anyway. This is a good idea so they have longer to get in football shape. Maybe the first two preseason games will be cancelled. I feel bad the later round picks and undrafted won’t have a big chance but they will end up on the PS so they will still be able to show what they got. But it’s going to be hard to make the 53 right away.

There are basically three full weeks after the 4th of July weekend and the date players have to report.  

I think it’s a complete waste of valuable time.

With zero practice in April, May and June and now this talk of dropping preseason games, when in the world are teams supposed to get ready?   When are rookies and second year players supposed to get invaluable coaching?  

This is madness!

If you want to see the crappiest football EVER then by all means waste those three weeks and pretend you’re avoiding injuries...    

I don’t pretend to know what “ramp-up” means, but I’m all for it!  (I think?)

:peek:

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are basically three full weeks after the 4th of July weekend and the date players have to report.  

With zero practice in April, May and June and now this talk of dropping preseason games, when in the world are teams supposed to get ready?   When are rookies and second year players supposed to get invaluable coaching?  

This is madness!

If you want to see the crappiest football EVER then by all means waste those three weeks and pretend you’re avoiding injuries...    

This is why they might drop two games. It gives them a longer time to get ready.  So instead of a preseason game what two weeks after camp. They will have four weeks of camp before the first game. It’s in the cba there is no contact with coaches after this week so I am not sure that could be changed and allow camp earlier. Players may start reporting in two weeks if they are new to the team or rookies. They just can’t have contact with the coaches.  They said players may be able to be back in the facility on June 26th. It also says it gives them a couple extra weeks to figure out testing before games start.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is why they might drop two games. It gives them a longer time to get ready.  So instead of a preseason game what two weeks after camp. They will have four weeks of camp before the first game. It’s in the cba there is no contact with coaches after this week so I am not sure that could be changed and allow camp earlier. Players may start reporting in two weeks if they are new to the team or rookies. They just can’t have contact with the coaches.  They said players may be able to be back in the facility on June 26th. It also says it gives them a couple extra weeks to figure out testing before games start.

As a fan, I enjoy the preseason games because it's an opportunity to see the 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Usually they are almost unwatchable by the 4th Q.

It may have been Pat Kirwin who said they should schedule more controlled scrimmages with other teams and drop two of the preseason games.  Especially after last year when a lot of teams didn't play starters in any games.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The NFLPA would have to agree to allow camps to open sooner if they want to use July as a ramp up period.

The ownership and the players association can agree to anything they want.

In the big picture, I’m sure they’ll figure out something...

But with so much less practice and fewer ore-season games we should be prepared that September football is going to be some of the worst quality any fan has ever seen.   Sorry to say I don’t think there’s any way around it...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But with so much less practice and fewer ore-season games we should be prepared that September football is going to be some of the worst quality any fan has ever seen.   Sorry to say I don’t think there’s any way around it...

Good thing we have a run game to fall back on. Should help us out a little.

We could have a October through January season with the Super Bowl the first week of March, especially if NBA decides to end its season in October. It would be a natural transition from one big sports league to another. 

53 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We could have a October through January season with the Super Bowl the first week of March, especially if NBA decides to end its season in October. It would be a natural transition from one big sports league to another. 

I don’t think it will be delayed. I don’t mind two preseason games. What I would like to see is PS players protected from protected the first few weeks of the season from other teams being able to claim them.

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think it will be delayed. I don’t mind two preseason games. What I would like to see is PS players protected from protected the first few weeks of the season from other teams being able to claim them.

Wasn't that a part of negotiations anyways, 2 preseason games only in exchange for the 17th regular season game and 1 potential extra playoff game? If it happens that way this year without the 17th regular season game, we will at least get a taste of it.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If this happens I assume we will see starters play one quarter both games. We will see each QB play one quarter each game also. I really want to see Eason play so bad. But the preseason should only be two games anyway. This is a good idea so they have longer to get in football shape. Maybe the first two preseason games will be cancelled. I feel bad the later round picks and undrafted won’t have a big chance but they will end up on the PS so they will still be able to show what they got. But it’s going to be hard to make the 53 right away.

Why? I would hope he plays well

I don't mind 2 preseason games in the current situation but I hope it doesn't become permanent.  I think the extra 20-25 snaps that players 40-90 get in those extra games is important for them and in the coaches evaluation.  But I'd rather the preseason gets shortened if it helps have a full season.

20 hours ago, w87r said:

Good thing we have a run game to fall back on. Should help us out a little.

Agree100%.  This shortened pre-season just magnifies how important signing Rivers was.  He's already familiar with the system and he has more time to learn it because the run game will be the primary feature to begin the season.  AC coming back helps keep the line continuity which is also huge.

Great off-season for Ballard on that side of the ball.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:05 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This is madness!

Confucius say “crappy football is still better than no football.”

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Confucius say “crappy football is still better than no football.”

I hope we'll be saying that in September.

Or....    put another way,  if we’re winning we will put up with crappy football.    Winning cures everything.

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope we'll be saying that in September.

Or....    put another way,  if we’re winning we will put up with crappy football.    Winning cures everything.

I wish...remember starting last year.  5-2 and some still weren't cured of complaining.

:stir:

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

there will be a season, the league is pushing hard for it

they are willing to make whatever changes they need 

No matter the league...   NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL or any other sport...   I don’t think the leagues are in full control.

The virus is. 

If things go from bad to worse — and they might — then all bets are off on how long any given season might last.  

Don’t mean to be a downer...   just trying to see the Big Picture and be realistic.  

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No matter the league...   NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL ir any other sport...   I don’t think the leagues are in full control.

The virus is. 

If things go from bad to worse — and they might — then all bets are off on how long any given season might last.  

Don’t mean to be a downer...   just trying to see the Big Picture and be realistic.  

they will make it happen, i dont expect many fans in the stands though.  they should consider bigger rosters and i bet we see teams keeping more qbs than normal.  

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No matter the league...   NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL or any other sport...   I don’t think the leagues are in full control.

The virus is. 

The WNBA just approved a 22 game season with all games held at IMG Academy

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am from Canada and we cancelled the CFL season. I made a comment that I highly doubted the NFL season would proceed.  I got push back. Numerous  Cowboy and Texan players diagnosed with Covid. I still predict no season.

Same just opposite views Ive maintained there will be a season with most stadiums full of fans . Still feel the same and am more confident now looking at the progression of countries hit before us . 

Those players testing positive won’t change anything. The doctor who is over seeing everything said he knows there will  be cases and they will work to isolate the players quickly so it doesn’t spread. Remember none of these players would of been in the facility with symptoms if this was the regular season.  The doctor already said this won’t stop things or stop the season.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Those players testing positive won’t change anything. The doctor who is over seeing everything said he knows there will  be cases and they will work to isolate the players quickly so it doesn’t spread. Remember none of these players would of been in the facility with symptoms if this was the regular season.  The doctor already said this won’t stop things or stop the season.

The same person also said "We are not putting dates on the calendar at this point,". 

It would be "naive" to think there wouldn't be break points around % roster infection rates, otherwise you start to affect league parity too much. 

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The same person also said "We are not putting dates on the calendar at this point,". 

It would be "naive" to think there wouldn't be break points around % roster infection rates, otherwise you start to affect league parity too much. 

A throwback to when players started to cross the kinds in 87

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

A throwback to when players started to cross the kinds in 87

While the financial loss of a delayed/cancelled season would be immense, remember the product is key. There's already been criticism about the declining quality of play in some areas. Do you really think the NFL would let a team out there with say 80% starters missing because of an localised outbreak within the team?

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

While the financial loss of a delayed/cancelled season would be immense, remember the product is key. There's already been criticism about the declining quality of play in some areas. Do you really think the NFL would let a team out there with say 80% starters missing because of an localised outbreak within the team?

I agree

this is why several leagues are either doing regular testing and/or quarantining their players and staff

Archived