Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select WR Michael Pittman Jr

danlhart87

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

It’d be cool to make a thread predicting which WR’s we’re gonna be good, which we’re gonna be great, and which we’re gonna be busts and then revisit it in a couple years. Somebody should start a thread like that. I’m too lazy atm. I’m too busy Kicked back watching family guy while the woman makes supper during this quarantine. I’ll be more than happy to make my predictions in the discussion, though. 

It's good to be the king

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreet should make a poll, he is better than me at doing so. The way he words things is better.

Will do tomorrow. I'm starting my deep dive on new players here in a minute.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I know it’s doubtful he will get 1k yards.  But since he will automatically be on the field a lot we will see. He is going to be asked to step in right away.  

It will interesting to see how things develop. What WRs were be the starting rotation early. Who plays where? How open will the O be (as far as passing is concerned)? How will injuries impact us this year? How will Burton and Hines be used? Will MAC emerge? Does Fountain start from where he left off pre-injury? Does Dulin make a case?

So many fun narratives. As far as Pittman is concerned, I think he shares duties with Pascal early, with Pascal taking more slot reps as Pittman comes along.

With both Mack and Taylor to give the ball to, I HOPE this team isn't throwing it 40+ times a game. If they have the offense everyone should hope they have, it's doubtful they'd have more than one guy with over 1000 yards. Whether or not that would be Pittman, as has already been said, depends on too many unknowns at this point, but I'd lean towards it being doubtful.

Here's an interesting one(go to 8:50 where the Colts part starts): 

Cowherd seems to be friendly with Ballard and they talk every now and then. The nugget from this segment is that Ballard told Cowherd to go watch Pittman 6 months ago. This was not a last minute love affair. The Colts had targeted Pittman since at least mid-college football season. Pittman himself on JVM yesterday confirmed it to some degree by saying he had a good idea that the Colts wanted him and expected to be drafted if not 34 then at 44 at the very latest.

Greetings Colt fans!  Just dropped by to tell you that the majority of USC fans (we love Pitt), are happy the Colts drafted Mike.  Seems like a great fit, so happy for him.

No one knows how successful an NFL career will turn out, but I do know, and can say, you chose a hell of a hard worker, high character young man who is very tough and physical.  Michael Pittman is no WR diva, he’s a team player, and very focused.  

I hope he becomes the pro WR on the field, as he is off the field as a person and leader.  

why does your color have to be blue?  Lol.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, shastamasta said:

I think Mims is a better comp for Moncrief....but I also think Mims is a better prospect than Crief was.

Once you get past the top 3...I think Mims probably has the most upside of any WR in the draft...he's a potential WR1 with his size, catch radius and athleticism. But obviously there is something that made teams a bit hesitant for him to fall to the WR13.

My order of preference was Aiyuk, Mims, Higgins, Pittman. Glad they got one of them...instead of waiting to draft someone later.

Mims had drop issues 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:59 PM, krunk said:

So Higgins was the original target like i was thinking. Im good with Pittman though. No prob.

I think you might be misunderstanding this. They loved Pittman from the beginning.  They were thinking of moving down a few spots but when Higgins went , it was more likely Pittman was going to be selected soon.

1-Pittman at 6'4" & 223 - 4.52

2-Patmon at 6'4" & 225 - 4.48

3-Pascal at 6'2" & 219 - 4.48

4-Fountain at 6'2" & 210 - 4.46

...or Ashton Dulin at 6'1" & 215 - 4.43

...or Marcus Johnson at 6'1" & 205 - 4.39

5-Campbell at 6'0" & 205 - 4.31

6-Hilton at 5'10" & 183 - 4.34

I would love for these 6 (any of Fountain, Dulin or Johnson as 6th on the depth chart) to be our depth this year at WR. Would be the biggest, most physical and diverse group of receivers I can remember.

***** Listed by height, not by number on the depth chart.

Keep in my Patmon, with his measurables and production he would have been a Day 2 draft pick in a normal draft so don't dwell on the 6th round choice.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would love for these 6 (any of Fountain, Dulin or Johnson as 6th on the depth chart) to be our depth this year at WR. Would be the biggest, most physical and diverse group of receivers I can remember.

Keep in my Patmon, with his measurables and production he would have been a Day 2 draft pick in a normal draft so don't dwell on the 6th round choice.

I hope we keep 6 too. I think it’s a possibility. I wanna see Campbell prove himself and be 100% and have a breakout year. I think Pittman is one of those guys whose gonna step in day one and just kill it.

We could possibly have one of the best WR corps in the NFL with Pittman and TY on the outside and Campbell working outta the slot. I also think we’ll see TY in the slot quite a bit btw. Then I wanna see Fountain show out and be our number 4 with Pascal and Johnson as the other 2.

Man. That’d be a crazy deep group IF these things happened. Patmon may get a year on the PS to get acclimated to the NFL. I could see that going either way. As you pointed out he’d been drafted a lot earlier in a normal year. Probably a 4-5th rounder most other years. 

I find this quote of his very cool (from Colts.com):

"That's basically what my dad (former NFL running back Michael Pittman) talks about. He talks about Keyshawn Johnson being his favorite guy because he would throw the best blocks for him," Pittman Jr. said about being a receiver that likes to block. "It's always good to block."

Watching episode 4 its clear Reich is nuts about Pittman and I bet MP's blocking was part of the appeal.  The guy played special teams so he's clearly not averse to doing dirty work. 

Total package. I'm amped up too, kinda like Baldinger gets while breaking down Big Q's wanton violence  :thmup:

1 hour ago, Fat Clemenza said:

I find this quote of his very cool (from Colts.com):

"That's basically what my dad (former NFL running back Michael Pittman) talks about. He talks about Keyshawn Johnson being his favorite guy because he would throw the best blocks for him," Pittman Jr. said about being a receiver that likes to block. "It's always good to block."

Watching episode 4 its clear Reich is nuts about Pittman and I bet MP's blocking was part of the appeal.  The guy played special teams so he's clearly not averse to doing dirty work. 

Total package. I'm amped up too, kinda like Baldinger gets while breaking down Big Q's wanton violence  :thmup:

From that same article....this is my favorite excerpt....

"He also has incredibly reliable hands and can make tough, contested catches. In fact, he was only knocked for five drops in his whole four-year college career."

https://www.colts.com/news/michael-pittman-jr-usc-southern-california-receiver-teammate

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Big and fast. Been wanting this for a long time. Now I just pray for health....

• 2 months later...

At first I was surprised we moved on from Funchess. Mostly because we invested a few million in him and didn't get anything in return. Sometimes it's hard to cut your losses and move on, but CB did just that. Then we picked up 6'4" Pittman and I was much relieved. We finally have a true X receiver (not that Pascal at 6'2" can't be an effective X), but Pittman is likely to be very good.

It turns out Funch has opted out of 2020. Not that that's good or bad, but it's just another reason CB did the right thing moving on. If he'd stuck with Funch then we'd be entering another season without a true X.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:27 PM, Dogg63 said:

At first I was surprised we moved on from Funchess. Mostly because we invested a few million in him and didn't get anything in return. Sometimes it's hard to cut your losses and move on, but CB did just that. Then we picked up 6'4" Pittman and I was much relieved. We finally have a true X receiver (not that Pascal at 6'2" can't be an effective X), but Pittman is likely to be very good.

It turns out Funch has opted out of 2020. Not that that's good or bad, but it's just another reason CB did the right thing moving on. If he'd stuck with Funch then we'd be entering another season without a true X.

Damn!  Wonder what happened?

This year I'm really interested in seeing how Reece Fountain rebounds from the injury.  I've always said I felt like he has the talent to do some things.  Also interested to see the year 2 jump for Paris Campbell.  If we can get something out of Campbell and Fountain then combine that with TY Hilton, Pascal, and  Michael Pittman I think that could be a really, really solid receiving corps for us.  Especially with the running game I expect us to have.

58 minutes ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

Besides Lamb and Jeudy, MPJ was at the top of my list for the Colts. In any other draft, he doesn't make it out of round 1. 

I had him as the no4 WR behind Jeudy, Ruggs, and Lamb. He's definitely better than some guys that went before him like Reagor, Higgins, and Aiyuk (forgot his name). I mocked Pittman to us at 44 in my final mock draft, but I don't even mind taking him at 34. Still value there IMO.

Archived