Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select WR Michael Pittman Jr

danlhart87

4 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Dang! We got a big boy. I already subbed to him and his GFs YouTube channel. Dude seems pretty chill lol

It cracks me up how some of these players have youtube channels. He has been with is girlfriend since high school. I follow Paris Campbell fiancé on Ig. I actually sent her a question on A DM about their puppy. She is super nice.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard just mentioned how he can win at all three levels. After watching his highlights I agree. Reminds me of Michael Thomas.

Yea watched his highlights and Higgins  highlights  before we picked today and came away more impressed  with pittman than Higgins. Not that I don't  expect  Higgins  to be good, but I thought Pittman  was more explosive  with a bigger catch radius than higgins

1 minute ago, krunk said:

So Higgins was the original target like i was thinking. Im good with Pittman though. No prob.

Hmm. Interesting. Higgins did put up better career numbers than Hopkins, Williams, & Watkins at Clemson.  Be interesting to see how it plays out between the receivers from this year’s draft.  Who will end up being the best of the bunch?  Especially, the big guys like Higgins, Pittman, & Claypool.  

Here is the scouting report on Pittman by two of my favorite draft evaluators Greg Cosell and Dane Brugler:

Cosell:

EWZjcxDXYAE9z9-?format=png&name=medium

Cosell sees his translation as a versatile receiver who can line up everywhere around the formation, but his favorite use of him is as a big imposing boundary X receiver in the Mike Evans mold(not as explosive though). They play different, but he says his competitiveness reminds him of Michael Thomas coming out of Ohio State. The third comparison he gives is Courtland Sutton, but he says he liked Pittman's tape from college better than Sutton's. 

Dane Brugler:

fbxpRb8.png

The way I see it was the Colts first 2 picks was wr and rb. In order, Higgins, Swift, Pittman and Taylor. Since Higgins went 1st, Colts couldn't go with Swift, because Houston would have picked Pittman. Colts went ahead and got Pittman, and then found out the Jaguars were going to get Taylor. Colts traded up to get the guy they wanted.

16 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Pittman has #1 WR ability if he balls out I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't bring Hilton back in 21

Yeah...no. I love the pick but unless something crazy happens TY will need to come back. Hell he's usually the reason we win or lose most games. 

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It cracks me up how some of these players have youtube channels. He has been with is girlfriend since high school. I follow Paris Campbell fiancé on Ig. I actually sent her a question on A DM about their puppy. She is super nice.

Yupp this is gonna start happening more and more lol it's pretty cool seeing a different side to these athletes. I've been following Jimmy bulter on YouTube. You'd never think he was an NBA all-star looking at his YouTube life lol

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

I might get crucified for this but I see a peak Donte Moncrief in him. If he could become the player Moncrief failed to become, that’d be amazing 

Moncrief coming out of college was no where near Pittman.... moncrief was a classic attribute driven pick. Big, fast, and under developed. Typical grigson pick really.

51 minutes ago, life long said:

Moncrief coming out of college was no where near Pittman.... moncrief was a classic attribute driven pick. Big, fast, and under developed. Typical grigson pick really.

I wouldn't say he was no where near. Both were seen as R1/R2 picks, and both had the similar grades (Moncrief 6.3 and Pittman 6.38).

They were different receiver types though. Pittman a big X at 6-4, Moncrief a 6-2 tweener. Moncrief was faster and thicker, Pittman bigger and with better hands. Both had great production the last two years in college.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't say he was no where near. Both were seen as R1/R2 picks, and both had the similar grades (Moncrief 6.3 and Pittman 6.38).

They were different receiver types though. Pittman a big X at 6-4, Moncrief a 6-2 tweener. Moncrief was faster and thicker, Pittman bigger and with better hands. Both had great production the last two years in college.

Grade wise sure but from what I recall moncriefs stock rose at the combine. He was thought of as raw with high upside.  His route tree was not as extensive as Pittman. Production in college would have been similar if not for Pittmans senior year, in which he clearly outclassed him. That's why Mike had a chance to go in the 1st and Donte went in the 3rd imo. 

2 hours ago, life long said:

Grade wise sure but from what I recall moncriefs stock rose at the combine. He was thought of as raw with high upside.  His route tree was not as extensive as Pittman. Production in college would have been similar if not for Pittmans senior year, in which he clearly outclassed him. That's why Mike had a chance to go in the 1st and Donte went in the 3rd imo. 

I think Pittman is better in almost every aspect. But they play similar. Pittman is a better version of moncrief who many of us had doing great things with this team. So I’m very excited 

6 hours ago, life long said:

Both had the same round projections. As far as their senior years, keep in mind the teams they played on, and the QBs throwing to them. Bo Wallace tossing it in Ole Miss's O, is much less than Slovis tossing it in USC's O. IMO, Pittman is clearly the better prospect, but a lot of that is hindsight, and like I said, different WRs too.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:59 PM, krunk said:

So Higgins was the original target like i was thinking. Im good with Pittman though. No prob.

I don't think that's the case. I think Ballard was saying the WRs were going fast so he needed to get one. If anything, I think the colts wanted to take Taylor at 34

On 4/25/2020 at 1:05 AM, Smoke317 said:

Hmm. Interesting. Higgins did put up better career numbers than Hopkins, Williams, & Watkins at Clemson.  Be interesting to see how it plays out between the receivers from this year’s draft.  Who will end up being the best of the bunch?  Especially, the big guys like Higgins, Pittman, & Claypool.  

Claypool is the fastest, but I think higgins and Pittman run better routes 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, life long said:

Yeah Moncrief really got a lot of attention after the combine. He put on a show honestly. I remember being pretty surprised watching him run the 40. I didn’t think he was that fast. Don’t remember his actual time and not looking it up but it was pretty good. 4.4 maybe ??? Anyways. Wish we had gotten Allen Robinson that year. Man. 

On 4/25/2020 at 12:59 AM, krunk said:

Would make sense...Higgins is the better prospect I think...but they are not far apart. 

Was he saying they decided to go Pittman because Higgins was off the board...or because they feared the start of a mini-WR that would wipe out the remaining WRs from that secondary tranche of WRs? 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

You just got mossed

I was watching his highlight tape again...and he Moss'd Blackmon in the first couple of plays.

Must have been some serious cognitive dissonance in that FO about Blackmon when they were watching Pittman's tape against Utah. Blackmon looked real bad.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah Moncrief really got a lot of attention after the combine. He put on a show honestly. I remember being pretty surprised watching him run the 40. I didn’t think he was that fast. Don’t remember his actual time and not looking it up but it was pretty good. 4.4 maybe ??? Anyways. Wish we had gotten Allen Robinson that year. Man. 

I think Mims is a better comp for Moncrief....but I also think Mims is a better prospect than Crief was.

Once you get past the top 3...I think Mims probably has the most upside of any WR in the draft...he's a potential WR1 with his size, catch radius and athleticism. But obviously there is something that made teams a bit hesitant for him to fall to the WR13.

My order of preference was Aiyuk, Mims, Higgins, Pittman. Glad they got one of them...instead of waiting to draft someone later.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think Mims is a better comp for Moncrief....but I also think Mims is a better prospect than Crief was.

Once you get past the top 3...I think Mims probably has the most upside of any WR in the draft...he's a potential WR1 with his size, catch radius and athleticism. But obviously there is something that made teams a bit hesitant for him to fall to the WR13.

My order of preference was Aiyuk, Mims, Higgins, Pittman. Glad they got one of them...instead of waiting to draft someone later.

I got you bro. But I wasn’t comparing anyone to Moncrief. JS. I was just talking about Moncrief blowing up at the combine a few years back. 

But about Mims. I like him a lot. I wanted him. Even after we got MPJ. But. I see him as your prototypical “boom or bust”. He’s had some issues with drops, but his raw skill, talent and his potential is off the charts. He could become a WR1 or be nothing more than a backup Number 4-5 in 4 years. 

MPJ was a safer pick IMO. Just like Mims, Pittman has WR1 potential, just somewhat of a different type wideout. Mims is a little faster and more athletic  But again. MPJ was a much safer pick  JMO. 

I liked Higgins too but there were a couple things that worried me about him. Strength, route running, how he’d translate against NFL corners and against tough press coverage. But all those things can be improved. He’s got all the talent you’d want in a WR prospect. I think he’ll end up being a monster in a year or 2 after he adjust to the NFL. 

I liked Aiyuk too but I wanted a bigger guy. I think he’s gonna be a really good player right outta the gate in SanFran. 

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Would make sense...Higgins is the better prospect I think...but they are not far apart. 

Was he saying they decided to go Pittman because Higgins was off the board...or because they feared the start of a mini-WR that would wipe out the remaining WRs from that secondary tranche of WRs? 

It’s funny how we all translate this a little differently. It sounded to me like they liked both RB’s and both WR but wanted one of each. So when Higgins went it canceled the trade back option and took Pittman. Then swift went and the knew the Jags wanted Taylor so Irsay pushed for a trade up.

If Higgins and Pittman would of both been there I bet they try to trade back and still get one. And as always, there is a 99.99% chance I don’t have a clue what I am saying.

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

His workout and H/W/S profile put him in the same range as Calvin Johnson. Clearly not an evidence of future greatness; Stephen Hill was in the range as well. But yeah, athletically, Moncrief was seriously gifted.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I was watching his highlight tape again...and he Moss'd Blackmon in the first couple of plays.

Must have been some serious cognitive dissonance in that FO about Blackmon when they were watching Pittman's tape against Utah. Blackmon looked real bad.

I think the fact that Blackmon was new to safety was a major factor. Apparently he bounced back pretty strongly from that game the very next week.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the fact that Blackmon was new to safety was a major factor. Apparently he bounced back pretty strongly from that game the very next week.

I'm still in the research mode, but I agree. It was an early game (4th), first conference game, and VS one of the most productive and physical X WRs in CFB. First year at S vs their biggest opponent early and against one of the best WRs... Can't fault him too much.

12 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

It's going to be VERY interesting to see which of these 2 million receivers in this class end up being good players, and which ones flame out. There are so many of them, you know there will be a good number in both categories.

37 WR were taken in this draft. I believe they said the most ever. I think the ones that went in the first and Higgins and Pittman will all be good. It’s the ones like Mims who need some development that could be boom or bust.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

37 WR were taken in this draft. I believe they said the most ever. I think the ones that went in the first and Higgins and Pittman will all be good. It’s the ones like Mims who need some development that could be boom or bust.

Mims should be good out of the box if they start him at Z. If they press him into X early, he'll likely struggle. 

It’d be cool to make a thread predicting which WR’s we’re gonna be good, which we’re gonna be great, and which we’re gonna be busts and then revisit it in a couple years. Somebody should start a thread like that. I’m too lazy atm. I’m too busy Kicked back watching family guy while the woman makes supper during this quarantine. I’ll be more than happy to make my predictions in the discussion, though. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Pittman is a solid route runner who can run all routes with a QB who likes to throw 50/50 balls. I don’t want to get ahead of myself but he is going to start day one and it won’t shock me if he gets a thousand yards as a rookie. 

Not saying it can't happen, but you should probably temper things down a bit lol, especially as a rook....Pittman is a possession X at 6-4 and 4.52, and only a few of those guys in general hit 1000 unless they have 4.4 speed to match the height. In this case, 4 of 30ish with direct comps.

Here's a look at guys 6-3 and over who had 1000+ last year. Note there were 30ish guys who caught for more than 1000 yards (8 of whom are 6-3 or more, 5 of whom are 6-4 or more). Only 4 of those guys are comps if you look at height and speed.  Red are IMO bad comps

Michael Thomas (6-3 and 4.5s) is one of the big exceptions. 

Julio Jones (6-3 and 4.38) is one also but has the speed, and he's as much Z as X.

Devante Parker (6-3 and 4.45)

Kenny Golladay (skinny 6-4 and 4.5)

Mike Evans (6-5 and 4.53) catching from Winston

Courtland Sutton (6-4 and 4.54)

DJ Chark (very skinny 6-4 and 4.34)

Mike Williams (6-4 and 4.51) catching from Rivers

If I were guessing, I'd say Pittman is 600-800 so long as we don't have injury issues like last year. You also have to take into account scheme, run/pass ratio, and other pass catching talent on the roster. Since we are a bit void of a detached TE option, he might get more.

17 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

It’d be cool to make a thread predicting which WR’s we’re gonna be good, which we’re gonna be great, and which we’re gonna be busts and then revisit it in a couple years. Somebody should start a thread like that. I’m too lazy atm. I’m too busy Kicked back watching family guy while the woman makes supper during this quarantine. I’ll be more than happy to make my predictions in the discussion, though. 

@EastStreet should make a poll, he is better than me at doing so. The way he words things is better.

Archived