Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Rumor Mill

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Sign Rivers to 1 year deal and trade up for Love.

Game. Set. Match.

I like that. I'm just wondering  who we should  pick if Burrow,  herbert, tua, love are all gone when we are on the clock. Then we'd have eason, fromm, and gordon to choose from and I haven't  done much research  on the other qbs in this draft besides  the top 9

I don’t get all the love for Love.  I think he is going to be a bust.  He didn’t face great competition in college and has a penchant for throwing picks. If the Colts take him I will hope for the best but would not get my hopes up.

Eason in the second would be a much better and safer pick in my opinion. Herbert is the guy I prefer but I doubt the Colts have a chance at him unless they decide to go up to get him.  

19 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I don’t get all the love for Love.  I think he is going to be a bust.  He didn’t face great competition in college and has a penchant for throwing picks. If the Colts take him I will hope for the best but would not get my hopes up.

Eason in the second would be a much better and safer pick in my opinion. Herbert is the guy I prefer but I doubt the Colts have a chance at him unless they decide to go up to get him.  

On Love’s 2018 season he had 32 TDs and 6 picks.

In 2019, Love lost his head coach, his OC, and 9 of his 10 offensive starters.   Are you not aware of this?   It’s been written everywhere.  

When a player goes from very good to very poor there’s typically a good reason for it. 

9 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Love is a big risk but has a much higher ceiling. 

Mahomes and Watson were not nearly the risks when the Chiefs and Texans moved up for them. That is why I do not think he is worthy of the #13 pick where we can get a blue chip prospect. I will leave it at that.

11 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Corrected it for ya.

Exactly. With the cap room we have, every FA will be linked to us. This is just the first year QB's are in that mix too. The only rumor I see having some viability at this point is Rivers.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In 2019, Love lost his head coach, his OC, and 9 of his 10 offensive starters.   Are you not aware of this?   It’s been written everywhere.  

When a player goes from very good to very poor there’s typically a good reason for it. 

Not to mention the abysmal defense that had him playing from behind constantly. I think with QB's like him, you have to isolate every bit of his game (2018 & 2019) and contextualize it. Looking at raw figures means almost nothing. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m well aware of it. I believe that Love’s 2018 season consisted of a good number of poor throws that he got away with.  He wasn’t as good as those 2018 numbers would lead you to believe...in my opinion.   He seems to be a player that is heavily dependent on who else is around him. I don’t know that he has the ability to elevate the play of his team mates. That is a quality that you want your franchise quarterback to possess.  He is not as good as his 2018 season...not as bad as last season...somewhere in the middle and needs lots of talent around him to play well. Still not a fan of drafting him with our first round pick. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Mahomes and Watson were not nearly the risks when the Chiefs and Texans moved up for them. That is why I do not think he is worthy of the #13 pick where we can get a blue chip prospect. I will leave it at that.

Agreed...I think anyone expecting Love to be developed into a Mahomes or Watson type player are setting themselves up for an eventual reality check.  Of course if he becomes a Colt then I will be pulling for him to prove me wrong.  I just wouldn’t draft him if it were up to me. 

20 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Obviously every player has question marks. I'm referencing the totality of question marks. For example, Jordan Love as a QB has way more question marks than say Jerry Jeudy at WR. In other words, the majority of NFL analysts agree that Jeudy is much more of a sure thing to be a star in the NFL rather than Love. There is MUCH more risk with Love than there is with someone like Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Derrick Brown, and Javon Kinlaw. 

Thats why when you look at top 50 overall prospect ratings done by professional analysts, all of them have those 4 prospects higher than Jordan Love. Because they present much more chance to hit rather than miss. 

love wont be there in the second, i dont think any WR would change the offense that much either if we keep the same qbs.  kinlaw worries me with the knee issues, id feel better about taking a chance on tua than a heavy dline with shaky knees  

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I’m well aware of it. I believe that Love’s 2018 season consisted of a good number of poor throws that he got away with.  He wasn’t as good as those 2018 numbers would lead you to believe...in my opinion.   He seems to be a player that is heavily dependent on who else is around him. I don’t know that he has the ability to elevate the play of his team mates. That is a quality that you want your franchise quarterback to possess.  He is not as good as his 2018 season...not as bad as last season...somewhere in the middle and needs lots of talent around him to play well. Still not a fan of drafting him with our first round pick. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Utah_State_Aggies_in_the_NFL_Draft

can you please show me the elite talent from that 2018 season you refer to that made Love the stat maker from 2018? I don’t see it. Did they all just transfer to other schools or something? Idk, I don’t follow them at all but from this list, Utah State didn’t have a lot of drafted players. 

and I’m not pro or against Love. I’m still in the camp of develop Kelly and draft the oline and dline spots. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

There might be opportunities to trade back if we want that. 

Trading back wouldn’t surprise me too much..,,    But trading back this far would indeed surprise me.   13 to 21 is a long way to go.   That’s a quarter of the first round.

I remember Ballard wouldn’t trade back too far in 2018.   There were a handful of elite players and he wanted to make sure he got one of them.   Ballard would have to be convinced that a player he loved would still be available.   And at 21, that’s dicey.  

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why would we do that. There will either be a stud DT, a QB, or a stud WR there. We can’t keep doing this every year and passing on playmakers. Especially when we are picking 13 and someone we want will be there.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Trading back wouldn’t surprise me too much..,,    But trading back this far would indeed surprise me.   13 to 21 is a long way to go.   That’s a quarter of the first round.

I remember Ballard wouldn’t trade back too far in 2018.   There were a handful of elite players and he wanted to make sure he got one of them.   Ballard would have to be convinced that a player he loved would still be available.   And at 21, that’s dicey.  

Yes, but last year he traded out of the 1st altogether. IMO there are 2 scenarios where he will trade back this far:

1. he likes a lot of players still on the board at 13 (i.e. he will get similar value at 21 + additional assets)

2. he doesn't like any of the players still on the board at 13(this is relative to the draft position) and trade back will give him more value thanks to the additional asset

:) :) 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, but last year he traded out of the 1st altogether. IMO there are 2 scenarios where he will trade back this far:

1. he likes a lot of players still on the board at 13 (i.e. he will get similar value at 21 + additional assets)

2. he doesn't like any of the players still on the board at 13(this is relative to the draft position) and trade back will give him more value thanks to the additional asset

I can definitely see him doing that. If Derrick Brown is gone and Kinlaw has question marks in his medical, and Ballard feels he can get his WR later, I can totally see Ballard doing that. 

If it is going to net you a 1st and 2nd rounder from the Eagles, which is what it amounts to, I can see him doing that.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why would we do that. There will either be a stud DT, a QB, or a stud WR there. We can’t keep doing this every year and passing on playmakers. Especially when we are picking 13 and someone we want will be there.

Guess we'll just have to see how the picks 1-12 play out first. Depends on who's still available. 

8 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Guess we'll just have to see how the picks 1-12 play out first. Depends on who's still available. 

Someone has to drop. 15 players can’t go in 14 picks. Just by the math someone will be there. We have good depth we don’t need more depth. We need playmakers who are elite. We are missing that at the top of our roster.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Love had a very good 2018 season. In a similar offense, Anthony Gordon had a great 2019 season. I'm not advocating for Gordon, however, people discount Gordon's stats due to Mike Leach's offense and look the other way when it comes to Love's 2018 stats. Just something to think about.

"They’re just benefiting from an offensive mind schooled under several other great minds. The offense’s base philosophy, he said, comes from his time at Missouri, where under Gary Pinkel and alongside Dave Christensen, he learned how to perfect the spread-option offense.

Passing game concepts? Primarily from the time he spent working under Mike Leach at Washington State. The Aggies always want to try to attack teams vertically first. Then, there’s the speed. That comes from — where else? — Oregon, where he learned that if timing is dialed in, if plays are prepped, if the game-plan is chugging along, tempo is a secret weapon that can wilt the will of any defense. The unrelenting up-tempo approach USU has enacted, mixed with the run-game schemes, is derived from Yost’s time with former Ducks coach and offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich." - https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/10/19/utah-state-oc-david-yost/

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is actually not true.  He was all over the board as far as draft projections.  People quoting NFL scouts and GMs saying they had 2nd and 3rd round grades on him.  Most people universally agreed that no matter where he's drafted, he had a lot of developmental issues that needed to be resolved, from decision making, to transitioning from the Texas Tech offense (which at the time was pretty much all shotgun all the time). 

He was very much a boom or bust type of draft pick and opinions varied on him in the exact same way they do on Jordan Love.  You very much loved the pick or hated it.  Look at the draft grades form 2017, they're all either (a) I think Pat Mahomes will be the best QB of this class, good pick, or (b) the Chiefs gave up too much to move up for a developmental project.

Jordan Love is Pat Mahomes in terms of draft value.  You either hate the prospect of the Colts taking him at 13, much less moving up for him, or you'd love to take him at 13, possibly higher.  These forums will be worse than it was when we acquired Trent, because Love's situation is nearly identical to Mahomes'.  We'll see how the draft plays out.  EDIT:  I'm in the team Love.  I mean I also like Burrow and Herbert, too and would be happy with them.  We won't have a chance with Burrow.  But I think I'd probably be happy if we moved up for either of them.

Don't know if it belongs here.... 

There are several new rumors popping up. 

Stafford might want to get out of Detroit and the Redskins are truly considering taking a QB at 2.

If all that happens(or even one of that), taking a QB in the 1st will get tough... 

If the thing with Stafford is true, I can see him with the Pats... 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

There might be opportunities to trade back if we want that. 

If love, Herbert, tua are gone, I’d be on board for a trade down. If lamb or Jeudy are there maybe philly would send us a 1st next year?? If we’re not going to be able to get our future QB this year I’d like to try to get some teams 1st next year. If these bottom teams take a QB, one would think they’ll struggle next year and might be at the top end of the draft next year, with their QB already in place  Which means they’d likely trade that top pick. Trade down, take Reagor or Chassion from LSU. Use 34th for another trade down possibility or take Kmet or the tcu DT. This draft is deep at many of our positions of need, if we can add talent this year and add a pick or two for next year might be the best scenario. 

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Utah_State_Aggies_in_the_NFL_Draft

can you please show me the elite talent from that 2018 season you refer to that made Love the stat maker from 2018? I don’t see it. Did they all just transfer to other schools or something? Idk, I don’t follow them at all but from this list, Utah State didn’t have a lot of drafted players. 

and I’m not pro or against Love. I’m still in the camp of develop Kelly and draft the oline and dline spots. 

Not sure the question of whether they guys were stars is relevant. From what I read, his team lost 11 of 12 starters AND had a new head coach.

that's a lot of change.

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

32 TD / 6 INTs is not getting away with poor throws.  You don't luck your into being considered by NFL teams in the draft.   Com'on...  

Now about the you're overall view on Love and being a guy that elevates the team around him.  This is a true concept to an extent.  But any QB, at least at the collegiate level can only do so much.  He can't make the line block for him and he can't make receivers get open.  Yet that's what he was forced to work with last year.  As time goes along, more and more NFL evaluators are saying this.  Well, first tehy say that you have to view each interception independently from the others if you're going to understand how/why it was intercepted.  Then they say that Love was having to compensate for poor separation by his receivers and forcing a lot fo throws.  So it's, throw it if he's open, but if he's not, make a play.  Now you throw in the game sitaution of being down 28 with 10 minutes in the 4th quarter.  Can't take the sack, running wastes too much time...make a play.  

So yeah, on some level, I look at Love and, yeah, he threw the interception.  His fault.  But your characterization of Love is just not a fair one, because it's impossible to be able to judge that because we can't see the whole field (assuming you watched any film in the first place, and if you didn't, you shouldn't even be making this opinion).  But even if it's not wholly wrong, it's also not wholly correct.  We can disagree whether he's a 1st round talent, that's fair.

Archived