Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Rumor Mill

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Rivers does nothing to advance the future. He even said he might only play one more year. What if he signs and he sucks and we didn’t draft the future. That wastes another year or two. The only way rivers makes sense is to also draft a QB to be ready in 2021.

Exactly. If Rivers, or any other end of life QB signs with the Colts, I firmly believe they draft their QB of the future this year. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Peyton came with Marvin, Edge, and Tony Dungy, 4 HOF guys right there, not to mention HOF GM Bill Polian. How many did he win with them in their first 3 years together, SBs, I meant? Forget SBs, how many years did he get Home Field Advantage throughout the playoffs in his first 3 years as a starter with Dungy (which was Peyton's Years 4, 5 and 6 in the league in 2001, 2002 and 2003), which Mahomes has done in both of his years in his first 2 years as a starter (I gave you 3 years to include the year Mahomes sat)? I can play that game too.

Let us not diminish someone's ability purely because of the supporting cast. Every elite QB needs 2 good play makers on offense (Brady had Edelman and Gronk and could only do so much without both) and a very good/elite coach, in a very good organization, that is what the Chiefs have too.  Ryan Tannehill was a bum in Miami, now he is a very good QB in the Titans system with Henry and Brown as his play makers. Good coaching, good supporting cast, good line play, good GM, yes all of those matter for winning. 

Enough of shallow arguments based on bias.

I think u missed my point

On 2/29/2020 at 6:32 AM, Indeee said:

I know my take isn't popular. Some QBs turn out great or above great and some turn out not. Luck as example was a 100% consensus generational talent. My point is no one ever knows, it's a gamble on all QBs. I'm just in the camp not to gamble on maybes and possibilities when the player pool has positional needs this team also really needs this year that don't seem to carry so much of a gamble rate

EVERY draft pick is a gamble. There's no guarantee that any player will be the guy we read about in his projection.

If I'm going to miss, I'd rather miss on a QB. If you think a guy is your guy, take him.

within reason, don't get hung up on the "he's not rated high enough to pick him here" talk

15 minutes ago, Gigc said:

EVERY draft pick is a gamble. There's no guarantee that any player will be the guy we read about in his projection.

If I'm going to miss, I'd rather miss on a QB. If you think a guy is your guy, take him.

within reason, don't get hung up on the "he's not rated high enough to pick him here" talk

ABSOLUTELY NOT. No Way. That will set your franchise back years, where if you miss on a WR, other WR's can fill that area easier as example. 

22 minutes ago, Indeee said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT. No Way. That will set your franchise back years, where if you miss on a WR, other WR's can fill that area easier as example. 

what good is a great WR if your QB doesn't/can't/won't find him?

TY is a great wr. i know he was hurt this season, but he was also underused.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

what good is a great WR if your QB doesn't/can't/won't find him?

TY is a great wr. i know he was hurt this season, but he was also underused.

My response had to do with what you said. The part I bolded about how you would rather miss on a QB or be wrong about that position over any other. It's better to miss on any other position vs. A QB. You miss on a QB, as in draft the wrong one, and its devastating to your franchise. 

Word of the street is that the Colts have shown the most interest of any other team in the QB from FIU, Morgan. It's on Bleacher Report right now, one of the Colts insiders put it out. Funny thing is that when I was watching the combine, other than the guys I knew, this Morgan guy wasn't bad. His throws seemed pretty accurate and his arm strength not that bad. This guy is definitely not projected until 4th or later. Anyway, there ya go, another rumor for what it's worth. 

31 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Word of the street is that the Colts have shown the most interest of any other team in the QB from FIU, Morgan. It's on Bleacher Report right now, one of the Colts insiders put it out. Funny thing is that when I was watching the combine, other than the guys I knew, this Morgan guy wasn't bad. His throws seemed pretty accurate and his arm strength not that bad. This guy is definitely not projected until 4th or later. Anyway, there ya go, another rumor for what it's worth. 

One of the concerns I have with ballard is he thinks he can take any late pick and make them a star.  He always wants value. That is good bud sometimes you have to go get the elite player.  Value can be good for depth or middle of the roster. But you need elite at the top. Morgan’s accuracy wasn’t very good.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

My response had to do with what you said. The part I bolded about how you would rather miss on a QB or be wrong about that position over any other. It's better to miss on any other position vs. A QB. You miss on a QB, as in draft the wrong one, and its devastating to your franchise. 

I'm not sure that's really true anymore, for this reason. The old paradigm was that you picked a guy and then rode him for the duration of his contract. Look at what the Cards did last couple years. they drafted Rosen, but then decided they wanted to go for Kyler Murray. 

THAT was, if Kyler is successful, thinking outside the box. 

I do know what happens when you don't have a QB who can get you to the playoffs. No playoffs.

I've been a Colts fan since 1970, and there was a huge, mostly losing chasm from Bert Jones to Peyton Manning. Like 20 years. sucked.

I could be DEAD in 20 years :) 

get me a QB!!!

2 hours ago, Gigc said:

I'm not sure that's really true anymore, for this reason. The old paradigm was that you picked a guy and then rode him for the duration of his contract. Look at what the Cards did last couple years. they drafted Rosen, but then decided they wanted to go for Kyler Murray. 

THAT was, if Kyler is successful, thinking outside the box. 

I do know what happens when you don't have a QB who can get you to the playoffs. No playoffs.

I've been a Colts fan since 1970, and there was a huge, mostly losing chasm from Bert Jones to Peyton Manning. Like 20 years. sucked.

I could be DEAD in 20 years :) 

get me a QB!!!

The other part is we don’t have exorbitant rookie contracts like before allowing teams to cut bait after a couple of years if necessary if things are real bad.

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The other part is we don’t have exorbitant rookie contracts like before allowing teams to cut bait after a couple of years if necessary if things are real bad.

This. It even allows you to trade a QB if he doesn’t work out. Where it does hurt is you might of been able to get elite talent at another position if you hadn’t taken the QB. I mean Rosen was traded and is a backup because contracts aren’t that high as in the past.

PFT reporting Yannick has told Jags he has no intertest in signing long term with Jags whatever the money. Went so far as to thank the organization and basically stated he will be resuming his career elsewhere. Now this doesn't mean he will as the Jags can and most likely plan to tag him, however this is a very interesting development occurring here as Yannick was one player I really wanted the Colts to target. Jags need a corner, so I'm wondering if Quincy plus pick #34 could get it done. Quincy was a Florida college guy after all. Maybe not, as I'm sure on a tag and trade scenario, the Jags would view him with a first round grade. Actually come to think of it, I doubt the Jags would ever even trade him in division, so... :Gaah:

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

PFT reporting Yannick has told Jags he has no intertest in signing long term with Jags whatever the money. Went so far as to thank the organization and basically stated he will be resuming his career elsewhere. Now this doesn't mean he will as the Jags can and most likely plan to tag him, however this is a very interesting development occurring here as Yannick was one player I really wanted the Colts to target. Jags need a corner, so I'm wondering if Quincy plus pick #34 could get it done. Quincy was a Florida college guy after all. Maybe not, as I'm sure on a tag and trade scenario, the Jags would view him with a first round grade. Actually come to think of it, I doubt the Jags would ever even trade him in division, so... :Gaah:

You wouldn't think so but isn't Marone calling the shots now?  He traded Ramsey so I think anything is possible with that franchise. 

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If the plan is to draft a QB like Love, it doesn't make any sense to sign a QB like Rivers to mentor him, the styles or too different

You don't need the styles to be the same for a mentorship to be beneficial to the younger player. Teaching him how to be a pro, how to handle a team and the offense at the LOS, handling pass protections, diagnosing blitzers, etc. Those are all things Love can benefit a lot from watching Rivers do it. Rivers is one of the smartest and most savvy QBs in the league when it comes to the mental game of football and those are some of the biggest questionmarks for Love. There is plenty he can teach a young player... whether he plays the same style or not.

And BTW at his best, Love will hopefully be able to be a master in the pocket in a similar way Rivers has been, but also has the added dimension of being able to make plays on the run. One aspect doesn't exclude the other. 

That all of course is valid only if Rivers has the desire to be a mentor to a young guy. I have no idea if he does... it might all be a moot point. 

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If the plan is to draft a QB like Love, it doesn't make any sense to sign a QB like Rivers to mentor him, the styles or too different

Disagree. You'd have Jordan tied up potentially for 5 years, which gives you a chance to let him learn before being thrown in. Meanwhile, a good vet could be enough to help this already good team make the playoffs and advance.

31 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Disagree. You'd have Jordan tied up potentially for 5 years, which gives you a chance to let him learn before being thrown in. Meanwhile, a good vet could be enough to help this already good team make the playoffs and advance.

I'm not saying to not let Love sit (I think he needs at least a year before he's NFL ready), I'm just saying Rivers would not be the best mentor for a QB like Love because while he could teach him some things it as @stitches mentioned, but their styles are too different.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not saying to not let Love sit (I think he needs at least a year before he's NFL ready), I'm just saying Rivers would not be the best mentor for a QB like Love because while he could teach him some things it as @stitches mentioned, but their styles are too different.

Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes had different styles and it worked well.

Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers had different styles and it worked well.

The vet is teaching the rookie how to be a pro, a leader, and how to run a NFL huddle. The fact that Love is athletic and can make plays with his legs has nothing to do with that.

12 hours ago, Shive said:

Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes had different styles and it worked well.

Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers had different styles and it worked well.

What are you talking about? Smith and Mahomes had very similar styles, it's not like Smith was a pocket passer, he was known for making plays with his legs as well..  Same with Rogers and Favre

12 hours ago, Shive said:

The vet is teaching the rookie how to be a pro, a leader, and how to run a NFL huddle. The fact that Love is athletic and can make plays with his legs has nothing to do with that.

Like I said there are some things that they can teach but you would still rather have similar styles mentor.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, Chloe6124 said:

One of the concerns I have with ballard is he thinks he can take any late pick and make them a star.  He always wants value. That is good bud sometimes you have to go get the elite player.  Value can be good for depth or middle of the roster. But you need elite at the top. Morgan’s accuracy wasn’t very good.

I'd counter by saying that this roster, before this year at least, had little to no depth or middle of the roster.... So that is exactly what he should have stressed building... Now, that doesn't mean he'll deviate this year, but I don't think he had the luxury of swinging for the fences with every draft pick in past years

On 3/2/2020 at 10:25 PM, buccolts said:

Mariota is a free agent NOW?

No, not now.  If he isn't resigned before the new league year starts - March 18 at 4:00pm - that's when he can be signed by any team.  If he's highly sought after, he'll have a contract teed up during the legal tampering period, which is like the two days leading up to the new league year start.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:12 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/colts-may-view-marcus-mariota-as-plan-b-to-philip-rivers/

Pretty interesting article about Marcus Mariota and his connections to the Colts. 

I don't see how this can be true since it would be tampering to have actually met with a player who is technically still a Titan until the new league year begins. The legal tampering period doesn't begin until the 16th I believe. I have a very hard time believing the Tweet that the Colts have met Mariota.

37 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I don't see how this can be true since it would be tampering to have actually met with a player who is technically still a Titan until the new league year begins. The legal tampering period doesn't begin until the 16th I believe. I have a very hard time believing the Tweet that the Colts have met Mariota.

Exactly!

Either that report is B.S., or tampering no longer exists.

Archived