Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Ballard draft pick not named Nelson or Leonard

CR91

For being selected at #15, I would've expected more from Hooker by this point.

If he doesn't have a Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl-caliber season next year (All Pro is a pipe dream), I don't think he'll get re-signed. 

My three would be: 1) Smith (starting RTs of this caliber aren't easy to find), 2) Okereke (outplayed Roquan Smith), and 3) Walker (this ended up being great value and production).

Honorable mention: Willis. 

• Like 1

At the time I thought he overdrafted him, but at this point is has to be Braden Smith, right? Like... if you get a top 10 RT in the league(this is conservative, he was ranked top 5 by PFF) with a second round pick, I feel like you've done very well. 

Willis seems to be a good pick right now, but I want to see more of him... Okereke is on the right path and Turay seemed poised for a breakout too. Lets see how they do next year. 

Anthony Walker and Marlon Mack are the other two IMO.

I really loved the Hooker pick at the time, but injuries have stunted his development. I still think he's a good player, but he was a mid-first pick. You expect him to be a good player at the very least. Lets see how he does next year with hopefully healthy season. 

But yeah, if I had to choose one it's Braden Smith. 

• Like 4

In terms of value/production, have to say a tie with Walker and Mack. Both mid rounders (4 and 5). Both their ROIs have been pretty incredible. 

Smith is great too, but I expect an early round pick to be good.

Hooker is a victim of having one of the worst pass rushes in the league. He'll look night and day if we get a legit 3T.

Hines is also a mid round gem. He's going to continue to improve on returns, and would be a boss APB is we ever have a passing game again.

Stewart is quietly proving to be a mid round gem too. Verdict is out on Fountain, but I like his chances. I think Speed could also be a name to watch in year 2. If anyone were to press Walker for early down snaps, it could be Speed.

• Like 1

Braden Smith first, Marlon Mack next. No one expected Braden Smith to be a top of Round 2 pick but Ballard thought so, and he was rewarded well. He wasn't played because he was a Round 2 pick but because he showed the coaches plenty in practice, IMO.

Marlon Mack, if not for his lack of involvement in the passing game, would be demanding top dollar. As a runner, he has outstanding vision, but unfortunately, going back to his college days where he had 65 catches in 3 years, he wasn't truly involved in the passing game, and his 3 years in the NFL with 52 catches are along the same lines. The coaches know what they are doing because they know what his strengths are. There was a reason why Mack was available in Round 4.

Based on the number of downs and availability, hands down Smith over Mack for return on investment.

Agree with others

1. Smith - Starting caliber RT in the top of the 2nd.  A pick we got by the way when Ballard brilliantly traded down 3 spots from #3 to #6 and with those picks took the Colts from one of the worst OL in the league to one of the best.  

2. Mack - Good RB in the 4th round.  

23 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I’d say Smith or Mack. Mack is a legit top 10 RB in the league, and Smith, who was projected as a guard, is now one of the top tier RTs in the league. Gotta love Ballard, he finds value better than almost anyone!

Mack is a good RB...but I think there is about 14 or so that you can put ahead of him. Still good value for the 4th round though.

20 hours ago, stitches said:

At the time I thought he overdrafted him, but at this point is has to be Braden Smith, right? Like... if you get a top 10 RT in the league(this is conservative, he was ranked top 5 by PFF) with a second round pick, I feel like you've done very well. 

Willis seems to be a good pick right now, but I want to see more of him... Okereke is on the right path and Turay seemed poised for a breakout too. Lets see how they do next year. 

Anthony Walker and Marlon Mack are the other two IMO.

I really loved the Hooker pick at the time, but injuries have stunted his development. I still think he's a good player, but he was a mid-first pick. You expect him to be a good player at the very least. Lets see how he does next year with hopefully healthy season. 

But yeah, if I had to choose one it's Braden Smith. 

Yeah...I think Smith is in a class of his own. I don't see any of those other guys being in the top tier of players at their respective positions...but Smith was also an early 2nd round pick.

"Best" is subjective...but I think Smith would satisfy just about any interpretation. 

Reading through this thread has caused me to go ahead and do a rankings of all of CB's draft picks.  (sue me)

#1 - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame (2018/1/6) - Already best guard in the league, and probable HOF-er.

#2 - Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina St (2018/2/36) - Multi pro bowl, and the best guy on defense. Face of the Team right now.

#3 - Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (2017/4/143) - Sure starter; one of the better backs in the league; 4th round selection makes this a great pick for CB.

#4 - Braden Smith, T, Auburn (2018/2/37) - The "other" OL drafted in 2018.  Quietly solidified himself at RT.  Reliable, although can still get beat.

#5 - Anthony Walker, LB, Northwestern (2017/5/161) - Consistently among the team leaders in tackles.  Last team pick of the 2017 draft.  Talk about value.

#6 - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St (2017/1/15) - Battled injuries, and has some statistical anomalies due to scheme.  A starter from day one, which says something.  Still a non pro bowl for a 15th pick.

#7 - Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State (2018/4/104) - Good "quick" option to Mack.  Beginning to show flash at kick returns.

#8 - Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford (2019/3/89) - Already taking snaps away from Walker.  Forcing his way into starting roles by shear competence.

#9 - Khari Willis, S, Michigan State (2019/4/109) - Replaced Geathers as starter by year's end.

#10 - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple (2019/2/34) - Lots of growing pains, but earned a starting role. Still learning zone, after starring in man coverage in college. Should move up the list.

#11 - Grover Stewart, DT, Albany St (2017/4/144) - Not much expected of him when drafted.  Earned a starting role, replacing the departed Al Woods.

#12 - Jordan Wilkins, RB, Mississippi (2018/5/169) - Reliable backup to Mack.  Not flashy.  But solid.

#13 - Kemoko Turay, DE, Rutgers (2018/2/52) - Injury prone, but flashes high pass rush ability when healthy.  Probably will not be a 3-down DE.

#14 - Marvell Tell III, DB, USC (2019/5/144) - Not the most talented, but has displayed effectiveness, moving ahead of Quincy Wilson in the depth chart.

#15 - Ben Banogu, DE, TCU (2019/2/49) - Flashed ability, but still inconsistent.  All top-50 picks must be strikes or be counted a bust.  Needs to improve.  And he most likely will.

#16 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida (2017/2/46) - Probably topped out, and never fully put it all together.  Did find games where he started and was effective.  See note on top-50 picks.

#17 - Tyquan Lewis, DL, Ohio St (2018/2/62) - Difficult to tell when he's playing and when he's not playing.  That doesn't bode well.

#18 - Nate Hairston, CB, Temple (2017/5/158) - Contributed good minutes before being traded to the Jets.

#19 - Matthew Adams, LB, Houston (2018/7/221) - Good contributor of LB depth and special teams.  Will never be a starter.  But doesn't need to be.

#20 - Zaire Franklin, LB, Syracuse (2018/7/235) - Also good LB depth contributor.  Played good minutes.

#21 - Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St (2019/2/59) - Ranks this low due to only half a game's play before injury.  TONS of potential.  Should rocket up the list.

#22 - Deon Cain, WR, Clemson (2018/6/185) - Good kid with lots of potential, who had a bad injury, suffered lapses of work habits, and was eventually signed from the practice squad by the Steelers.

#23 - Daurice Fountain, WR, North Iowa (2018/5/159) - Tries hard.  Has bounced around the practice squad and injury.  Running out of chances.

#24 - E.J. Speed, LB, Tarleton St (2019/5/164) - Small school kid who has made the most of his opportunities.  Could rank in the top 15 if he puts it all together.

#25 - Gerri Green, DE, Mississippi St (2019/6/199) - Couldn't crack the starting roster.  Cut.  Brought back.  Still on the practice squad.  Has potential.

#26 - Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (2017/3/80) - Never worked out.  Traded to the Jets.  2 career sacks.  Still playing.  For now.

#27 - Zach Banner, T, USC (2017/4/137) - Never made the team.  Too bad for this son of a HOF-er.

#28 - Jackson Barton, OL, Utah (2019/7/240) - Never made the team.  Hooked up with the Chiefs and got himself a superbowl ring.

#29 - Javon Patterson, OL, Mississippi (2019/7/246) - Cut from the team.  Bounced around the league.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 5:15 PM, life long said:

Nyheim Hines is going to show out this year!

If rivers ends up being our qb next season then Hines will have a HUGE year. Rivers loves those check down passes to the running back

Just now, HectorRoberts said:

If rivers ends up being our qb next season then Hines will have a HUGE year. Rivers loves those check down passes to the running back

I have no idea how this posted 2 times

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Reading through this thread has caused me to go ahead and do a rankings of all of CB's draft picks.  (sue me)

#1 - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame (2018/1/6) - Already best guard in the league, and probable HOF-er.

#2 - Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina St (2018/2/36) - Multi pro bowl, and the best guy on defense. Face of the Team right now.

#3 - Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (2017/4/143) - Sure starter; one of the better backs in the league; 4th round selection makes this a great pick for CB.

#4 - Braden Smith, T, Auburn (2018/2/37) - The "other" OL drafted in 2018.  Quietly solidified himself at RT.  Reliable, although can still get beat.

#5 - Anthony Walker, LB, Northwestern (2017/5/161) - Consistently among the team leaders in tackles.  Last team pick of the 2017 draft.  Talk about value.

#6 - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St (2017/1/15) - Battled injuries, and has some statistical anomalies due to scheme.  A starter from day one, which says something.  Still a non pro bowl for a 15th pick.

#7 - Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State (2018/4/104) - Good "quick" option to Mack.  Beginning to show flash at kick returns.

#8 - Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford (2019/3/89) - Already taking snaps away from Walker.  Forcing his way into starting roles by shear competence.

#9 - Khari Willis, S, Michigan State (2019/4/109) - Replaced Geathers as starter by year's end.

#10 - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple (2019/2/34) - Lots of growing pains, but earned a starting role. Still learning zone, after starring in man coverage in college. Should move up the list.

#11 - Grover Stewart, DT, Albany St (2017/4/144) - Not much expected of him when drafted.  Earned a starting role, replacing the departed Al Woods.

#12 - Jordan Wilkins, RB, Mississippi (2018/5/169) - Reliable backup to Mack.  Not flashy.  But solid.

#13 - Kemoko Turay, DE, Rutgers (2018/2/52) - Injury prone, but flashes high pass rush ability when healthy.  Probably will not be a 3-down DE.

#14 - Marvell Tell III, DB, USC (2019/5/144) - Not the most talented, but has displayed effectiveness, moving ahead of Quincy Wilson in the depth chart.

#15 - Ben Banogu, DE, TCU (2019/2/49) - Flashed ability, but still inconsistent.  All top-50 picks must be strikes or be counted a bust.  Needs to improve.  And he most likely will.

#16 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida (2017/2/46) - Probably topped out, and never fully put it all together.  Did find games where he started and was effective.  See note on top-50 picks.

#17 - Tyquan Lewis, DL, Ohio St (2018/2/62) - Difficult to tell when he's playing and when he's not playing.  That doesn't bode well.

#18 - Nate Hairston, CB, Temple (2017/5/158) - Contributed good minutes before being traded to the Jets.

#19 - Matthew Adams, LB, Houston (2018/7/221) - Good contributor of LB depth and special teams.  Will never be a starter.  But doesn't need to be.

#20 - Zaire Franklin, LB, Syracuse (2018/7/235) - Also good LB depth contributor.  Played good minutes.

#21 - Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St (2019/2/59) - Ranks this low due to only half a game's play before injury.  TONS of potential.  Should rocket up the list.

#22 - Deon Cain, WR, Clemson (2018/6/185) - Good kid with lots of potential, who had a bad injury, suffered lapses of work habits, and was eventually signed from the practice squad by the Steelers.

#23 - Daurice Fountain, WR, North Iowa (2018/5/159) - Tries hard.  Has bounced around the practice squad and injury.  Running out of chances.

#24 - E.J. Speed, LB, Tarleton St (2019/5/164) - Small school kid who has made the most of his opportunities.  Could rank in the top 15 if he puts it all together.

#25 - Gerri Green, DE, Mississippi St (2019/6/199) - Couldn't crack the starting roster.  Cut.  Brought back.  Still on the practice squad.  Has potential.

#26 - Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (2017/3/80) - Never worked out.  Traded to the Jets.  2 career sacks.  Still playing.  For now.

#27 - Zach Banner, T, USC (2017/4/137) - Never made the team.  Too bad for this son of a HOF-er.

#28 - Jackson Barton, OL, Utah (2019/7/240) - Never made the team.  Hooked up with the Chiefs and got himself a superbowl ring.

#29 - Javon Patterson, OL, Mississippi (2019/7/246) - Cut from the team.  Bounced around the league.

Turay's talent alone should be more that 4 players above than Lewis. When healthy he is an absolute beast and should have a breakout year in 2020

• Like 1

11 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Turay's talent alone should be more that 4 players above than Lewis. When healthy he is an absolute beast and should have a breakout year in 2020

I sure hope so.  He shows so much promise.  However, his ability to be injured has outshone his ability to play.  And we knew that about him, coming out of college.  I badly want to see him become all he can be.  The other thing is, he doesn't have much more in his arsenal than speed rush.  And that may wind up being all he is capable of being, when all is said and done.  Still -- stay healthy Turay!

On 2/13/2020 at 12:14 AM, WarGhost21 said:

I’d say Smith or Mack. Mack is a legit top 10 RB in the league, and Smith, who was projected as a guard, is now one of the top tier RTs in the league. Gotta love Ballard, he finds value better than almost anyone!

I concur but many folks don't believe Mack is as you stated. They want a top 10 RB but wants to pay him bottom 10 pay. "I'll sign Mack, if it's a team friendly deal". "We need a RB that's big, strong, can catch in the passing game, pass block, chip on the ends, can run through the middle and could hit the homerun".

Edgerrin James and Curtis Martin are in the HoF. They don't grow on trees.

15 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

Mack 

Smith 

Willis 

In that order for me. I'm going to make a prediction Malik will be an All Pro Safety this season. This is a big year for him and a contract year. I expect him to ball out. 

It might not be a contract year for Hooker. I think they have until May to exercise the fifth year option. So he might have two more seasons.