Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

NO.  You're the one not getting it.  Why are you claiming that I'm asserting Glenn was PO'ed, even after I wrote a post saying he may not have been?

I

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

And, to your pouncing post that started this......I said,

Actually, I think he moved up to take Ugoh, BEFORE Glenn announced his retirement.  Don't know if Polian was told privately or not.  The way it went down, I thought that Glenn saw Bill pick his replacement, so Glenn got po, ed and decided to just retire one year early. ( I think his contract had one year left)

then you said:

I know for a fact that is not what happened at all. 

What didn't happen at all?  What does THAT mean?  What does AT ALL mean?   

The po'ed part, which I later retracted, or the part where I said about UGOH BEING DRAFTED BEFORE GLENN ANNOUNCED HIS RETIREMENT.

My point to chad was pretty gentle.  And it had to do with the timeline  and correctly remembering that it wasn't all peaches and cream between Polian and Glenn at the time.  Totally different than Luck and AC.

I got the conflict PRETTY accurate, and the timeline was deadly accurate.  and you're still arguing and defending your misguided  THAT.....AT ALL statement.   

I never said anything about the timeline.  Once again, you said you thought Glenn retired because he was PO'd that Polian drafted his replacement.  I replied, as stated above, that I know for a fact that is not what happened.  Then you replied that maybe he wasn't po'ed, etc etc. to which I just explained why Glenn retired, something that, because of a family member, I had some inside information on, when I first posted what actually happened I thought you would appreciate knowing that, I didn't know you were going to start whining because what you thought was, in fact, wrong. 

I didn't attack your posts, I did not say that your timeline was wrong, I just said Glenn did not retire because he was po'ed that Polian drafted his replacement... he retired because HE DIDN'T HAVE THE DESIRE TO LOSE THE WEIGHT NECESSARY TO CONTINUE.  You are the only one that started crying about attacking posts, blah blah blah.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So far we know Love has talked to or plans on talking to the Raiders, Colts, and Dolphins. I am sure the colts never went as far as talking to a QB when they had Luck. So we know for sure they are looking at the QB. Hopefully raiders are only interested if he drops to one of their later picks.

Again - keep in mind the prospects talk to almost every team at those events. The ones we know about is because beat reporters of QB needy teams ask them "have you talked to the team I cover(so I can have something to write about)?" 

• Like 2

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/01/22/senior-bowl-2020-nfl-draft-day-2-takeaways-jalen-hurts-justin-herbert-jordan-love-javon-kinlaw/

Love shines again, other North QBs keep disappointing

In Wednesday’s North squad practice, Utah State quarterback Jordan Love continued to separare himself in a massive way from the other players at his position. While Love looked like the kind of passer who could easily end up working his way into the top 10, Michigan’s Shea Patterson and Washington State’s Anthony Gordon followed up disappointing Tuesday practices with more of the same Wednesday.

Both look borderline undraftable, while Love could challenge Oregon’s Justin Herbert to be the third quarterback off the board.

• Like 2

From watching the drills, Austin Mack is very quick in and out of his breaks. But he has had a few drops which don't look good.

Neville Gallimore is having a good week too. After Jordan Love, he seems to be the second most mocked person to us, usually with the 34th pick. He seems like a Ballard kind of guy, a tough, hardworking, intelligent leader. Reminds me a little of Christian Wilkins. He is a little short but he has great hands and plays with good technique. I can see Ballard picking him with the 34th pick.

• Like 1

Jalen Hurts Information

Hurts bounces back, Herbert still as advertised

After struggling for much of Tuesday’s practice, Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts responded with a much-improved body of work Wednesday. His accuracy was much better at every level of the field, and he seemed much more comfortable in every session. It was a much-needed step up from his performance on the previous day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

From watching the drills, Austin Mack is very quick in and out of his breaks. But he has had a few drops which don't look good.

It's been his whole MO while at Ohio State. He'll make the absolutely ridiculous catches, but drop the routine easy ones. Urban shut him down for the majority of the season last year after the TCU game because he had 4 really bad drops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I just said Glenn did not retire because he was po'ed that Polian drafted his replacement..

Not really what you said.

This is a great Senior Bowl thread that shouldn't be cluttered up with an argument about an aside comment about Polain and Glenn.  

I merely was commenting about Chad's assertion that Glenn told Polian that he was going to retire, which prompted Polian to draft Ugoh.  The timeline was that Glenn didn't decide to retire until after Polian had already drafted Ugoh.  I remembered there was some conflict there and that's why I referred to Glenn being po'ed at the time.

When you said that "I know for fact that is not what happened it at all", I was assuming you're were talking about my response to Chad's timeline,which was the reason I quoted him, not about the aside speculation about the conflict.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Van Jefferson is an interesting prospect. He is a really savvy route runner and has alot of quickness. He has alot of polish. He has an excellent tape versus LSU this year, especially hen he lined up on Stingley.

But he is a bit limited physically and probably doesn't have top speed. He is also going to be 24 this summer. 

• Like 2

From WalterFootball's coverage of the Senior Bowl.  FWIW, he has already been harsh about Love's field vision. And he has him ranked as either 6th or 8th out of the QBs in the draft.

In the one-on-ones without a defensive or offensive line, Love seemed to throw the wrong route on one play, tossed the pass far behind Notre Dame's massive wideout Chase Claypool on another, and had a few other throws on which his accuracy was off. On the flip side, Love made some excellent passes, including a pretty corner post route to Ohio State wideout K.J. Hill after he got open against Wake Forest's Essang Bassey. Love had another nicely located pass to USC's Michael Pittman Jr. after he got some separation by turning vertically versus Utah's Terrell Burgess.

Love had some rough moments in the team scrimmage, including plays where he didn't see the field well. He also threw a ball up for grabs in the deep middle of the field like it was a wounded duck and was fortunate a defender could not chase the ball down for an interception. Love has a very good skill set, but his field vision is a crushing weakness at this time. It will be important for him to show improvement there over the next two practices to help his draft stock.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

The reason people like Gordon is simple. First the fanbase has never had to guess at QB. Our last two long term QB’s were 1st overall picks and consensus top QBs. So since we aren’t in position to draft that guy, no one wants to take a QB in the first.

Add on top of that the fact that most people don’t scout, they just look at box scores to evaluate. So Love in his final season had a mediocre stat line while Gordon had a superb one. So fobs lot of fans that makes him more of a sure thing.

Add that all up and what the fanbase wants is a 2nd round or later QB with who is low risk but super high reward. That QB doesn’t exist but people have manufactured that QB and his name is Anthony Gordon. Gordon is the manifestation of a fanbase who was spoiled with 2 decades worth of elite QB play from blue chip prospects, but is now suddenly in the position that others teams have been in where they have to “find” their QB of the future. That uncertainty frightens people more than they care to admit so this is why people want to take the passive approach.

It’s easy to laugh at the Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, and Blaine Gabbert’s of the world when your franchise never has to be in that position. Now the shoe is on the other foot. But people would rather try an shoot the wings off a flea and find the next Dak Prescott in the later rounds than throw some darts at the dart board and find the next DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes.

I respectfully disagree with you. I coach football. I work specifically with QBs and evaluate QBs.  In my opinion, Gordon is a better prospect than Love.  He has better mechanics, accuracy, and progresses through reads better.  Has nothing do with stats.  It is about studying passing situations, ball placement, and decision making.

I would argue the opposite.  There seems to be this big Jordan Love push on here because he statistically had a good season last year and people think he is physically similar to Patrick Mahomes.  Is that a good way to evaluate QBs?

I would not take a QB at 13 if Burrow and Tua are gone.  I don't think there is another QB worth that pick.  However, in the second tier, would take a flyer on Gordon over Love. I think Love will be a mediocre NFL QB. A more mobile Jameis Winston. Gordon might be another Aaron Rodgers.  Or he might be another mediocre backup.  That is the risk in picking QBs who are not #1 overall picks.  So I agree with you on that point that Colts fan have gotten spoiled.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

From WalterFootball's coverage of the Senior Bowl.  FWIW, he has already been harsh about Love's field vision. And he has him ranked as either 6th or 8th out of the QBs in the draft.

In the one-on-ones without a defensive or offensive line, Love seemed to throw the wrong route on one play, tossed the pass far behind Notre Dame's massive wideout Chase Claypool on another, and had a few other throws on which his accuracy was off. On the flip side, Love made some excellent passes, including a pretty corner post route to Ohio State wideout K.J. Hill after he got open against Wake Forest's Essang Bassey. Love had another nicely located pass to USC's Michael Pittman Jr. after he got some separation by turning vertically versus Utah's Terrell Burgess.

Love had some rough moments in the team scrimmage, including plays where he didn't see the field well. He also threw a ball up for grabs in the deep middle of the field like it was a wounded duck and was fortunate a defender could not chase the ball down for an interception. Love has a very good skill set, but his field vision is a crushing weakness at this time. It will be important for him to show improvement there over the next two practices to help his draft stock.

This is exactly what I expect from him in the NFL.  Again, I am not sure why people want the Colts to get this guy.

8 minutes ago, Archer said:

Funny, I believe it was walterfootball that reported that Anthony Gordon looked like a big work in progress...  but PFF ranked him as his team’s top rated player at 77.4.  Not sure what to believe...

That tells you how bad pff is. Not one person who watched thought he had a good day. Yesterday. From what I understand Jones got better as the week went on. This is the issue with SM a couple misses makes them bad while ignoring the good.

19 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I respectfully disagree with you. I coach football. I work specifically with QBs and evaluate QBs.  In my opinion, Gordon is a better prospect than Love.  He has better mechanics, accuracy, and progresses through reads better.  Has nothing do with stats.  It is about studying passing situations, ball placement, and decision making.

I would argue the opposite.  There seems to be this big Jordan Love push on here because he statistically had a good season last year and people think he is physically similar to Patrick Mahomes.  Is that a good way to evaluate QBs?

I would not take a QB at 13 if Burrow and Tua are gone.  I don't think there is another QB worth that pick.  However, in the second tier, would take a flyer on Gordon over Love. I think Love will be a mediocre NFL QB. A more mobile Jameis Winston. Gordon might be another Aaron Rodgers.  Or he might be another mediocre backup.  That is the risk in picking QBs who are not #1 overall picks.  So I agree with you on that point that Colts fan have gotten spoiled.  

When has a Mike Leach QB not put up eye popping stats in college? You're out of your mind if you think Gordon is a better prospect than Love. I don't care if you're a middle school QB coach or not. I've worked with QBs for almost twenty years now and anyone in their right mind can see that Love's ceiling is the Sears Tower compared to the quant two story home of Gordon's ceiling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

This is exactly what I expect from him in the NFL.  Again, I am not sure why people want the Colts to get this guy.

I'm not a technical analyst for sure, but there has to be a reason why Fromm started for two (or three?) years at a program like GA and Love started for Utah State.  Not that I'm a Fromm fan or that it is necessarily telling, but its a discrepancy that needs to be accounted for other than just a recruiting difference.  People rave like Love is a top ten pick and that Fromm barely belongs in the NFL, but the pedigree tends to point otherwise.

All of the college teams that competed for the national championships have NFL talked about QBs.  AL TUA, Clemson Lawrence, OSu Fields, LSU Burrow, OK Hurts....even Auburn has Bo Nix.  Yet Fromm gets passed over almost out of hand because I guess of pure physicality.

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not a technical analyst for sure, but there has to be a reason why Fromm started for two (or three?) years at a program like GA and Love started for Utah State.  Not that I'm a Fromm fan or that it is necessarily telling, but its a discrepancy that needs to be accounted for other than just a recruiting difference.  People rave like Love is a top ten pick and that Fromm barely belongs in the NFL, but the pedigree tends to point otherwise.

All of the college teams that competed for the national championships have NFL talked about QBs.  AL TUA, Clemson Lawrence, OSu Fields, LSU Burrow, OK Hurts....even Auburn has Bo Nix.  Yet Fromm gets passed over almost out of hand because I guess of pure physicality.

Just a little backstory. Love said he was only 5’6 in 9th grade. I think he switched to QB pretty late in highschool after he started growing.  He also lost his dad to suicide at 14.