Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Senior Bowl starts 1/21-1/23. There is a lot of players to watch. Please use this thread to discuss who you are excited about.

Once practices start we can discuss how they are looking. 

I think we can all agree that pretty much all the QBs are of interest. 

Love

Herbert

Gordon

Hurts

Also some WR and TE

Pinkney

Pittman Jr

Jennings

Gandy-Golden

Aiyuk 

Claypool

Cant wait to see them all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So this is from Todd McShay on ESPN+ about what to watch for the 6 QBs at the Senior Bowl.  Thought it was interesting write up for each.  I highlighted the ones that seem to be discussed the most on the forum.

McShay: What to watch for from the six quarterbacks

Even without Joe Burrow, this is a talented senior quarterback group heading to Mobile. Justin Herbert headlines the signal-caller roster as a potential early first-rounder, but the class also includes College Football Playoff semifinalist Jalen Hurts and Pac-12 record-holder in passing yards in a season Anthony Gordon. Here's what I want to see from each QB this week.

Justin Herbert, Oregon

Team: South | QB ranking: 3

Quite simply, Herbert is the best quarterback on the field at the Senior Bowl -- and he has to look the part. I'm watching for him to dominate after throwing for 3,471 yards and 32 touchdowns this season. The best players always find a way to stand out by the end of the week, and the 6-foot-6 quarterback needs to separate himself from the pack. Show off the big arm. Make some plays with that mobility. And find some rhythm and consistency throughout the week. Herbert has to make a statement.

Jordan Love, Utah State

Team: North | QB ranking: 6

Editor's Picks

2020 NFL draft underclassmen declarations: Tracking the full list

McShay's NFL top 32 draft rankings: Which prospects rose during bowl season?

2020 NFL draft order: Top 30 picks set, with Bengals and Redskins at the top

Can he handle the big stage? The fourth-year junior still needs some work processing in the pocket, and that shows up on the stat sheet: Love threw 17 interceptions this season. He has 6-foot-4 size, a live arm and the ability to extend plays with his legs. But while he had a decent showing in a losing effort at the Frisco Bowl (317 yards and three touchdowns), he has struggled most of the season in the spotlight, completing just 54.5% of his passes against a pair of ranked teams and throwing four interceptions to just one TD in those games. Love has to find composure amid national attention this week.

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma

Team: South | QB ranking: 9

I'll have a close eye on Hurts' accuracy this week. There's a lot of arm strength and athleticism in his game, but he relied on Lincoln Riley's offensive scheme to spring open receivers and mask some accuracy issues at Oklahoma. Even then, Hurts missed his share of open targets -- just watch the tape from the semifinal against LSU, in which he went 15-of-31 passing. Scouts will be watching how he hits his marks this week, especially when throwing into tight windows.

Additionally, his pocket poise will be key at the Senior Bowl workouts. Hurts is early to bail out often, and he really needs to speed up his processing and delivery. He accounted for 53 touchdowns this season, but how well he stands tall in the pocket and gets the ball out will be important to his NFL success.

Shea Patterson, Michigan

Team: North | QB ranking: 16

Similar to Hurts, we need to see consistent accuracy from Patterson. The Ole Miss transfer has good arm strength and mobility, and he does a pretty decent job hitting his targets in the short-to-intermediate range. But he will throw off his back foot at times and falls off too many throws. And he is very erratic when throwing downfield. He completed 56.2% of his passes this season, which ranked outside the top 100 in the FBS, and that number dropped to 42.1% when throwing at least 15 yards downfield.

Anthony Gordon, Washington State

Team: North | QB ranking: 8

The numbers on Gordon's season were eye-popping, closing the year with 5,579 passing yards and 48 touchdowns through the air. Both ranked second in the country to Burrow. The Washington State QB anticipates well on his throws, but does he have enough arm strength? Only 11 of his 493 completions came on throws at least 25 yards downfield.

Steven Montez, Colorado

Team: South | QB ranking: 13

Montez needs to show he can be on time as a dropback passer. He tallied 2,808 yards for Colorado this season, but he still needs a lot of work with his footwork on drops. I'll be looking at how well he stays in sync with his wide receivers on timing drops this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This senior bowl is going to be loaded with talent and I can't wait to watch the practices. I am really excited to see if Gandy-Golden can still create seperation with high level talent. I remember Deebo Samuel last year tearing it up last year during the senior bowl workouts and look how well he's done for San Fran  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, twfish said:

This senior bowl is going to be loaded with talent and I can't wait to watch the practices. I am really excited to see if Gandy-Golden can still create seperation with high level talent. I remember Deebo Samuel last year tearing it up last year during the senior bowl workouts and look how well he's done for San Fran  

Deebo and Rock had a hell of a battle over several days. I thought Deebo had the better of Rock, but he had his fair share of wins too. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2020-reeses-senior-bowl-preview-players-to-watch-draft-implications-schedule-team-rosters

REESE’S SENIOR BOWL WEEK SCHEDULE

Tuesday, January 21 (practice)

1:00 pm – 2:30 pm CT (South)

3:00 pm – 4:30 pm CT (North)

Wednesday, January 22 (practice)

12:30 pm – 2:30 pm CT (North)

3:00 pm – 5:00 pm CT (South)

Thursday, January 23 (practice)

12:30 pm – 2:30 pm CT (North)

3:00 pm – 5:00 pm CT (South)

Saturday, January 25 (game)

1:30 pm CT/2:30 pm ET

TV: NFL Network

ROSTER BREAKDOWN

QUARTERBACK

North participants: Jordan Love (Utah State), Anthony Gordon (Washington State), Shea Patterson (Michigan)

Utah State quarterback Jordan Love highlights the North squad’s quarterbacks, as he is being pegged by some as a first-round prospect. However, Love’s junior season made him look anything but a first-round quarterback. He impressed in 2018 as a sophomore, producing an 82.8 PFF grade that was among the 25 best at his position. Instead of taking a bigger leap as many thought he would, Love regressed in 2019 to a 75.2 PFF grade that was 53rd among FBS quarterbacks. Most of Love’s best throws in 2019 came in favorable situations, which is incredibly concerning. When his receiver had a step or more of separation on 10-plus yard throws, Love produced the second-most big-time throws (20) and limited his turnover-worthy play count to just two. When throwing to a tight window 10-plus yards downfield, Love tied for 39th in big-time throws and produced the fifth-most turnover-worthy plays — leading way to a PFF grade that failed to crack the 50th percentile among FBS quarterbacks on those throws. He has great pocket presence, but his accuracy and decision-making on a throw-for-throw basis is not what you want to see from an NFL prospect. Love may have the most to prove of anyone at the Senior Bowl.

South participants: Justin Herbert (Oregon), Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma), Steven Montez (Colorado)

Justin Herbert has slowly made his way down numerous draft boards throughout the 2019 season. His 82.5 overall grade ranked 24th among FBS quarterbacks and featured poor performances in big games. One of the biggest knocks on Herbert was him not showing up against good defenses, and his 2019 campaign showed that — Oregon’s three biggest games (Week 1 vs. Auburn, Pac-12 Championship vs. Utah and Rose Bowl vs. Wisconsin) were three of his four lowest-graded games of the season. He has a cannon for an arm and can hit guys perfectly downfield in a clean pocket but gets panicky when things begin to collapse around him, tossing up desperation heaves at times. His negatively graded play rate under duress ranked 124th among 129 FBS quarterbacks.

With his mobility and the rise of Lamar Jackson in Baltimore’s offense, Jalen Hurts has become one of the more intriguing prospects in this draft class. In his first two years with the Crimson Tide in 2016 and 2017, Hurts showed some promise by improving his 71.4 PFF overall grade to 82.2 but was inconsistent as a whole. For that reason, he was benched for top-five prospect Tua Tagovailoa. In his sole year with Oklahoma as a graduate transfer, Hurts performed better than anyone likely could've imagined. In fact, his 91.6 PFF overall grade was second to only Joe Burrow this year.

In addition, his PFF wins above average total was fourth in the FBS and second in this draft class — in other words, he has the production to warrant a look in the first round. However, there are traits of his play that leave people skeptical. One of them is his willingness to hang onto the ball for way too long and his slow release when he does throw it. He had a 3.08-second average time-to-throw this year, which was far higher than the next slowest at 2.91 seconds, and his anticipation when throwing was rather poor. There’s no chance anyone can get away with that willingness to hang around in the pocket at the NFL level. We know he can rush at a high level, whether it’s designed or scrambling, but Hurts really needs to impress with his arm this week to raise his draft stock

There is more info on other positions on the link above. Very good information. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Deebo and Rock had a hell of a battle over several days. I thought Deebo had the better of Rock, but he had his fair share of wins too. 

After I made the post i had to go back on YouTube and look up some of the match ups. Ya-Sin won the ones i watched but Lonnie Johnson couldn't touch Deebo in the one i watched

I wouldn't get to hyped up on what Nagy is saying, hes got these young mens entire future in his hands and one negative comment could seriously have a negative impact on someone's draft stock. I like the warm up of interviews for players getting them ready for the combine. I am really excited for practices this year 

19 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Anthony Gordon, Washington State

Team: North | QB ranking: 8

The numbers on Gordon's season were eye-popping, closing the year with 5,579 passing yards and 48 touchdowns through the air. Both ranked second in the country to Burrow. The Washington State QB anticipates well on his throws, but does he have enough arm strength? Only 11 of his 493 completions came on throws at least 25 yards downfield.

For all the Gordon talk this is very concerning to me, you got to be able to throw the ball downfield. Dink and Dunk will not win a Super Bowl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

For all the Gordon talk this is very concerning to me, you got to be able to throw the ball downfield. Dink and Dunk will not win a Super Bowl 

We will see this week, I believe he can throw downfield and throw it well.  The 11 of 493 is more about offensive scheme and it's one of the reasons why his numbers (and Minshews the year before and Falk the year before...) are kind of taken with a grain of salt.

A Patrick Mahomes arm is nice but it's not necessary to be successful in the NFL.  If a Qb can zip a pass in there on a 12-15 yard out to the far side of the field, that is all the arm strength needed to succeed.

Personally, I think Gordon is the best passing QB in the draft this year... yes even better than Burrow, but guys like Burrow, Herbert, Love, etc have athleticism that Gordon does not have.  Gordon can move around in the pocket to buy time but he's not going to scramble out of the pocket to create time like a Watson or Wilson or Mahomes or Dak or numerous other QBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

We will see this week, I believe he can throw downfield and throw it well.  The 11 of 493 is more about offensive scheme and it's one of the reasons why his numbers (and Minshews the year before and Falk the year before...) are kind of taken with a grain of salt.

A Patrick Mahomes arm is nice but it's not necessary to be successful in the NFL.  If a Qb can zip a pass in there on a 12-15 yard out to the far side of the field, that is all the arm strength needed to succeed.

Personally, I think Gordon is the best passing QB in the draft this year... yes even better than Burrow, but guys like Burrow, Herbert, Love, etc have athleticism that Gordon does not have.  Gordon can move around in the pocket to buy time but he's not going to scramble out of the pocket to create time like a Watson or Wilson or Mahomes or Dak or numerous other QBs.

But CD, despite having a good OL, how many times have you seen our guys not be open the first 3 seconds that even Luck had to hold the ball and find a way to throw them open by extending the play? Based on that, we might need a QB who, like Brissett, can make plays outside the pocket more often that we'd like to admit, with a ceiling that Brissett does not bring to the table.

Sure, a vet wide out like TY can bring a young QB and other pass catchers along but it boils down to if Gordon can be an alpha and demand the amount of work ethic that Peyton demanded over years to get several pass catchers on the same page as him before the timing offense becames a well oiled machine. The truth is, we have to be honest about our pass catchers' ability to get open quickly while evaluating what kind of QB we might need, don't you think?

The only thing I am afraid with Gordon is we might have a Chad Pennington that plays the QB position well and is very accurate, who still was successful in the NFL but might not be a high ceiling guy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

No kidding.  People around here really like Gordon but also really hate Jake Fromm.  LOL.

Fromm > Gordon

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Dang, these guys can't escape attention even when they are weighed. :) 

Is Love 6.2 and change that rounds up, or 6.3 and change that rounds down?

He was listed at 6.4

Herbert was listed at 6.6 and that's what he is.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He was listed at 6.4

After Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray went No.1 back-to-back, I think a height in that range doesn't raise questions anymore, IMO.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He was listed at 6.4

No, it seems like the official measurement is actually 6035, which means 6'3 5/8" ... so close to 6'4"