Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

On 1/21/2020 at 12:45 PM, DougDew said:

Sounds like Love likes the game of Watson/Mahomes over a traditional pocket passer.

With one of the best pocket forming OLs in the NFL, that doesn't seem like a great mental fit for the Colts.

I do agree some what with what u r saying.  However, if Castanzo retires,they may go with a very mobile qb. That way they will not have to invest a high pick in a LT.  Juat a thought. Kind of kill two birds with one stone. Colts trade up and get Love.  It would cost them their 13th plus next years 1st. 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Where is he projected to go? 

I dont expect any meetings with love or Herbert. They will find other ways to get info. No need to let it be known they want him. 

I don't really think it matters much if they meet with Love or Herbert.  I think the cat is out of the bag with regards to the Colts need at qb.

11 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, he did.  Glenn was getting towards the end of his career and had been struggling with his weight for a couple of seasons prior (the year prior to his retirement Glenn missed a good portion of training camp because the Colts would not let him practice until he got down to the team mandated weight.  But Ugoh was drafted with the idea he would sit for a year maybe two and learn from Glenn.  As training camp approached, Glenn was once again told he needed to lose a significant amount of weight and he didn't have it in him anymore to go through that so he retired.  It had nothing to do with be "po'ed" because Polian drafted his replacement.

This is correct!

3 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

When has a Mike Leach QB not put up eye popping stats in college? You're out of your mind if you think Gordon is a better prospect than Love. I don't care if you're a middle school QB coach or not. I've worked with QBs for almost twenty years now and anyone in their right mind can see that Love's ceiling is the Sears Tower compared to the quant two story home of Gordon's ceiling.

I'm not certain of the point you're making since there's no such thing as the Sears Tower.

jk

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

@stitches 

Interview w/ Jordan Love on the Move the Sticks podcast. They even spend a few minutes talking about him before the interview. 

I have to say Herbert is much more impressive in an interview session. No idea how they both are with teammates. Rumors are Herbert is pretty quiet and not a vocal leader. 

• Like 1

Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers all need QB's and all pick before us. Cam MAY BE ready to trade by the draft, but what would you give up for a guy well below his prime. The Pats may like their back up as Brady's replacement, he really tore it up in pre-season. But the Steelers will need a replacement, the Bears would be wise to look around. The Raiders are rumored to be willing to move Carr, in fact according to the NFL insider it's more than a rumor. In short, there's a lot of teams sniffing around and will reach for a guy. Love may be a bottom 1st or a 2nd rounder, but with the way teams reach he could be a top 10 pick.

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers all need QB's and all pick before us. Cam MAY BE ready to trade by the draft, but what would you give up for a guy well below his prime. The Pats may like their back up as Brady's replacement, he really tore it up in pre-season. But the Steelers will need a replacement, the Bears would be wise to look around. The Raiders are rumored to be willing to move Carr, in fact according to the NFL insider it's more than a rumor. In short, there's a lot of teams sniffing around and will reach for a guy. Love may be a bottom 1st or a 2nd rounder, but with the way teams reach he could be a top 10 pick.

I said it a while ago, but I will say it again. My gut feeling says one of Herbert or Love will be available at No.13, and we should be able to get one of them without giving up extra draft capital.  I hope it turns out that way.

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

And if we are looking for a QB who will be ready in a year or two, then we are probably competing with the Steelers too, for any 2nd or 3rd round QB.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I hope we don't draft a QB because he has sympathetic personal story.  I'm sure media types love to sell that person's story like meat on a hook, but it shouldn't be a reason to ignore any QBing flaw. 

The story talks about his work ethic with comments from his coach. Also how he takes responsibility for the season they had. His coach says he is unflappable.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

The story talks about his work ethic with comments from his coach. Also how he takes responsibility for the season they had. His coach says he is unflappable.

That's fine.  Its just not what Holder said in his tweet, at least the part he chose to start with. 

Personally, that's a great story, but I'd rather have someone with a great supportive upbringing who was a 5 star recruit and performed successfully in a major college program.  But the media likes to always root for underdogs, so take it with a grain of salt.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  Its just not what Holder said in his tweet, at least the part he chose to start with. 

Personally, that's a great story, but I'd rather have someone with a great supportive upbringing who was a 5 star recruit and performed successfully in a major college program.  But the media likes to always root for underdogs, so take it with a grain of salt.

Carson Wentz seems to be doing just fine in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I hope we don't draft a QB because he has sympathetic personal story.  I'm sure media types love to sell that person's story like meat on a hook, but it shouldn't be a reason to ignore any QBing flaw. 

I was about ready to post something similar, the stories are great and all but you don't draft a guy because he may have had adversity in his life, you don't draft them higher because they had some adversity.

Now how they responded to that adversity and how that adversity changed them... that is something that is important.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Carson Wentz seems to be doing just fine in the NFL.

I know, but smart people don't find the exception to justify a decision.  They go with an entire body of work. No one knows how any pick is going to work out, but you don't start by looking for the exception.

I'm biased, because Love is starting to sound to me like a Qb who is one of those "high ceiling" guys, and not really a high floor guy.  After the Hooker's, Lewis, Basham's, TJ Green's and other great "traits that can be developed" guys, we've had more success taking high floor guys like Nelson, Smith, and Kelley.  

Don't know if there are any high floor college QBs in this draft, but Love is starting to not sound like one of them.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So Josh Rosen, then?

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I was about ready to post something similar, the stories are great and all but you don't draft a guy because he may have had adversity in his life, you don't draft them higher because they had some adversity.

Now how they responded to that adversity and how that adversity changed them... that is something that is important.

I suggest you read the story. Only a paragraph was dedicated to his father and how it shut him down. Most of the story is about his work ethic and what coaches think of him. Read the story before commenting on whatcha you think it talks about.

15 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

So Josh Rosen, then?

I don't think you would call his upbringing a great success. 

But I think there is this notion that someone who loses a father at age 14 is a good thing for development, when every professional book on the subject says that a strong fatherly presence is a great influence.  Who knows what any individual situation created, but there seems to be this twist of history that now says that having a adverse background is better than having a supportive background.  I don't think that's rooted in reality, but there are plenty of examples of exceptions with which to justify that thinking I suppose.

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I suggest you read the story. Only a paragraph was dedicated to his father and how it shut him down. Most of the story is about his work ethic and what coaches think of him. Read the story before commenting on whatcha you think it talks about.

I did read the article and I did not talk about "whatcha" I think it talks about.

20 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Hey guys. We are getting off track with bickering about Love. Remember this is for Senior bowl discussion. 

Agreed.  For those who have the time to follow tweets and other things, I'd like to see information about players with high floors, NFL ready now but maybe not potential home run all pro guys. 

He's been the best corner at the Senior Bowl according to many analysts. I just checked his measurables... he's a bit on the small side and not very long. Still a really good player though. I wonder if we have similar thresholds to Seattle about cornerback length... I really hope he's on our board. 

BTW, about Love - something that made an impression on me, not here but at the press-conference of their coach after he got caught with marijuana. I cannot understate how strong of a defense Anderson gave to Love. I didn't expect that. It was a player that was leaving the school and had just hit the news wire for drug related incident. He had all the incentive if not to slam him, to at least be reserved and evasive in the questioning. He wasn't. There was full support for Love and he even went as far as to throw shade at the local police and reports for being untruthful with the public about what happened. He literally said "I just hope those people responsible for those reports  have the same miserable day that those 3 kids had". 3 days later Love and the others played in his final game - the bowl game vs Kent State. 

His coach seem to absolutely love him and has nothing but highest praise for him. It's just part of the puzzle, but most coaches give generic statements of support for their players. What USU's coach is doing goes way beyond that. Again - just very small part of what's important but he seems to be able to grab the unquestioning support of his coaches at the very least. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The guy I’m looking at for the Colts is Pittman Jr. I think he’s what we wanted with Funchess. He’s big but has quick feet and runs excellent routes.

I’m starting to set my eyes on two SB risers: Van Jefferson and Denzel Mims...

• Like 2