Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to work out FA kickers today

NannyMcafee

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If he just hits routine kicks our record is better.  

AV is missing both the clutch kicks and the routine ones.  I doubt we're going to find a super clutch kicker right now off the street.  But might as well get one who can hit some routine kicks.  

Parkey's percentages from his last year in Chicago are better than AV's percentages this year.  

Next offseason I would say try to sign Mason Crosby in FA, he is a high level kicker.  If you can't get him you bring in another free agent and get one via draft or UDFA and let them compete for the job.  But I strongly believe signing Mason Crosby in FA is the best choice.  

I'd just take the dude from preseason he wasnt that bad and we just need to draft one next year or sign the best UDFA 

26 minutes ago, CoachSmok3 said:

What if the kickers they work out all have terrible tryouts?

Is that Ballard "not having guts" to not drop AV for someone else to produce the same results?

SMH... why a personal attack on Ballard? It serves no purpose and is low class in this instance 

she will attack everyone on the team yet cant take a simple complaint about JB it's the weirdest thing lol

22 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I know its frowned upon to draft a kicker. However, the K out of Georgia is one guy I would 100% be in favor of drafting 

It's not if you do it in the 5th round or later.  

Just don't be stupid and drop a 2nd round pick on him.  

Just now, Flash7 said:

Here's a good illustration for why we need to make a switch: 27 out of 32 teams are converting at 90% or better on PATs. The Colts are dead last at 70%.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/extra-point-conversion-pct

I think most people understand misses on FG's will happen. The misses on XP are the ones that are truly driving most insane

25 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

she will attack everyone on the team yet cant take a simple complaint about JB it's the weirdest thing lol

What's weird to me is Ive seen her in the moment go after JB even. Ive seen her flip flop and then flip back all within 10 posts of the same thread lol...

Im all for sharing thoughts and opinions... but I wont waver that there is still no place for unwarranted personal attacks...

If someone says something where a witty reply is justified- thats one thing... calling Ballard gutless for not firing a HOF K with no replacement.. thats just ignorant 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's not if you do it in the 5th round or later.  

Just don't be stupid and drop a 2nd round pick on him.  

Ive personally seen it twice in my life (TB and the Jets back in the day with Nugget, if I remember right)

Please, Colts, dont try this thinking 3rd times a charm lol

5th or later could make some sense thought IMO

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Do we have names of who is being brought in?

This is what im interested in as well

Saw Frye is person at Orlando Apollos opening game and followed that team closely. The kid is clutch, steady leg not booming. Though he would beat out Pinero for Bears job but was edged out. Hedlund didnt impress me much in our preseason, Parkey a hard no, Greg Joseph is solid on fgs but missed 4 pats last season.

• Thanks 1

He spent the preseason with the Colts. Hedlund set the national high school record with 25 field goals in a season and had a streak of 157 consecutive PATs, earning him Parade All-American honors. But he struggled at Arkansas, making 60% of his field goals as a freshman, failing to earn the starting position the next two seasons and transferring to North Texas. He regained his touch with the Mean Green, making 19-of-22 field goals, and signing with the Colts. 

"It's an unbelievable opportunity," Hedlund said of playing for the Colts in the preseason. "Coming in as a rookie and being able to learn from the greatest ever, it's just absolutely incredible."

Hedlund was 3-of-3 inside 39 yards in the preseason but 3-of-5 from 40-plus yards and did not make the team.

52 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree with the bold. Whats weird in all this is that AV is making the super long ones, 50+. But can't hit between the 25 and 45 yarders consistently. 

He is 14 out of 20 on PATs, and 14 out of 19 on FGs, it is not like he is lighting up the FG department either, thus warranting different looks, rightfully so.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He is 14 out of 20 on PATs, and 14 out of 19 on FGs, it is not like he is lighting up the FG department either, thus warranting different looks, rightfully so.

I don't disagree.  I'm just asking how is it he's making them from 50+ but not 45 and closer?

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I don't disagree.  I'm just asking how is it he's making them from 50+ but not 45 and closer?

I don't know. The Patriots, the sense I get from fans is that Nick Folk is not reliable from 50 yards and out but is reliable elsewhere, seems like a good match to me if Vinatieri is let go. :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't see how this ends. I'd be shocked if they cut AV, even though he probably shouldn't keep kicking...

If AV had any class, and to take the pressure off Ballard and the coaching staff. he would claim to have a season ending knee injury.

He is hurting the team, he has lost the  locker room he has nothing to prove, so I believe him to be selfish. I know our Coach wants to a players coach ,,,, but sometimes he has to step up and do the right thing.

Who was that kicker That Pittsburg picked up at the end of the year who came in and made 3 Fg and has never missed a PAT

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

If AV had any class, and to take the pressure off Ballard and the coaching staff. he would claim to have a season ending knee injury.

He is hurting the team, he has lost the  locker room he has nothing to prove, so I believe him to be selfish. I know our Coach wants to a players coach ,,,, but sometimes he has to step up and do the right thing.

Who was that kicker That Pittsburg picked up at the end of the year who came in and made 3 Fg and has never missed a PAT

Why make a false claim?  All he'd have to do is retire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Well. the Patriots have been searching for one for 7 weeks now... so no, I'd say that guy isn't available at the moment

Actually .... its all about perspective

Are there good to average kickers available.... NOPE (We agree)

We have the worst kicking game in NFL......  I would be happy with just a little improvement

When your comparison baseline is PATHETIC, and you are looking for improvement......

Its easier.

We dont need to get the kicker of the future now..... just somebody even a little better than the WORST level....... which is at pathetic levels.

I will say again....... We are missing extra points!

We may have to draft a kicker with the 6th round spot next year.

14 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

I dont 100% agree with the method....... BUT

AV should realize he is hurting the team.... and his excellent legacy.... and do the right thing

• Like 2

Eh. We’ve done this once already. 

I don’t expect a move. Even if Ballard and Reich wanted to make one I’m not so sure Irsay would just let them throw out a player who has meant to the game and us what Adam has. 

It’s easy to talk all that business, but when it comes time to pull the trigger it’s a different story, especially in the middle of the season like this. 

Vinny should of been gone after the Steelers game. Ballard doesn’t have the guts to change. He will cost us a few more games then he will change after its to late. Bottom line we are 7-2 if we had a competent kicker. That’s the difference not making the playoffs and having a bye. Now we get a couple WR back and it’s to late.