Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Officiating

ColtsSouljah

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Leonard hit him in the head.  Honestly I was shocked he didn’t get flagged the play before that for hitting the Steelers QB while he was sliding.  Still you are 100% right about the second call.  I’d say it was the worst call I had seen all year if they hadn’t flagged our linebacker for tackling later in the game.

Nope he didn't he pushed him minor should have just been halftime joke call the other was trash too.

I mean this with all due respect: it. does. not. matter. if. we should. have. played. better.

That argument is beyond silly. One team playing bad does not mean that the other team deserved to unfairly receive an advantage. Yes, refs are humans and will make mistakes. HOWEVER, honest mistakes committed by people who are good at their craft WILL not give one team a blatant advantage all game long. That happened today. If today's refs are honest, then they should be fired for incompetence.

It is NOT too much to expect refs to be consistent and skilled. Neither of those were remotely close to be shown today. Period.

It is NOT too much to expect refs to be consistent and skilled. Neither of those were remotely close to be shown today. Period.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Officiating was really bad (that "penalty" on Okereke was egregious), but at the end of the day, the Colts didn't execute.  Bad officiating is gonna happen.  Good teams can overcome it with good execution

I respect you a lot, but this is not the point. The point is that it is not too much to expect refs to be skilled and consistent. They were wildly bad and inconsistent today. They should be removed. The Colts bad play has literally zero to do with this discussion.

• Like 1

If Luck had not retired due to all the injury's he sustained during the wonderful years of Grigson and Pagano :facepalm:. I have moved on but sometimes I get so angry because the difference in Coby and Hoyer is they are game managers  Luck was a game changer. These games would not even be close if he was healthy :hissy:life is not fear GO COLTS 

33 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

I respect you a lot, but this is not the point. The point is that it is not too much to expect refs to be skilled and consistent. They were wildly bad and inconsistent today. They should be removed. The Colts bad play has literally zero to do with this discussion.

I see what you're saying.  In that case, my fault.  Yes, the reffing was bad.  The reffing has been bad all season.  Refs are humans and will make mistakes, so I anticipate it being bad the rest of the year too

47 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

If Luck had not retired due to all the injury's he sustained during the wonderful years of Grigson and Pagano :facepalm:. I have moved on but sometimes I get so angry because the difference in Coby and Hoyer is they are game managers  Luck was a game changer. These games would not even be close if he was healthy :hissy:life is not fear GO COLTS 

Jacoby isn't the future of this team I don't think he will go to playoffs and do much. plus kind of rather we don't make it cause playing like this and the refs ruining good games we don't deserve a spot in there at this point.

The problem today is the game is over officiated. The refs don’t “let them play” like they used to. I get that part of it is for player safety. But they have ALL gotten so flag happy it’s just taking the fun out of it. This is across the NFL, not just me bagging on today’s refs in the game. We have seen some really bad calls the past few seasons with regularity. Add in the fact they STILL can’t determine what a “catch” is half the time, and yeah. It’s a lot worse than it used to be. We got hosed today on some calls, yes. We benefitted from some as well too. Overall the balance seemed to favor the Steelers but it was just bad all around. The league needs to address it as a whole. Make them full time for God's sake! It’s a multi billion dollar empire and we still have part time accountants and lawyers calling games. When tennis can use lasers, the NFL still uses sticks and chains to measure down and distance. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Leonard hit him in the head.  Honestly I was shocked he didn’t get flagged the play before that for hitting the Steelers QB while he was sliding.  Still you are 100% right about the second call.  I’d say it was the worst call I had seen all year if they hadn’t flagged our linebacker for tackling later in the game.

Agree...Leonard was just tempting the officiating crew there. The hit on Rudolph sliding is something that I have seen called multipiel times.

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Never heard the whistle and it was more on shoulder than head so sorry bullcrap call not gonna agree with you.

https://v.redd.it/r2cr673bijw31

Certainly don't hear a whistle until about a half second before Leonard is in there.  

And if the penalty was for the helmet to helmet, then these types of plays need to be reviewable too.  

His fasemask literally brushed the receiver's helmet.  

That was a gifted 3 points from the refs.  Just one of many terrible flags that ultimately cost us the game.  

The Colts shouldn't have to play against the refs too.

The refs are bad this year...but it's hard to blame them. The Colts are currently top 3 in penalty beneficiary count and yards...so they have definitely benefited from some questionable officiating this year. And until this game, they were bottom 5 in penalties against and penalty yards against. Those things tend to balance out.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I see what you're saying.  In that case, my fault.  Yes, the reffing was bad.  The reffing has been bad all season.  Refs are humans and will make mistakes, so I anticipate it being bad the rest of the year too

They can always bring Jeff Triplett back. Is that worser than worse? (Bettering my superlatives).

9 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

The Colts shouldn't have to play against the refs too.

And THAT is exactly the point. Officiating should be consistent so that one team does not overtly benefit. The Steelers had a MASSIVE advantage from the refs today. That should not happen - no matter how badly one team or another plays.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The refs are bad this year...but it's hard to blame them. The Colts are currently top 3 in penalty beneficiary count and yards...so they have definitely benefited from some questionable officiating this year. And until this game, they were bottom 5 in penalties against and penalty yards against. Those things tend to balance out.

I agree with what you are but bad officiating is just that. I have been watching the nfl for 60 years and this year is the worst ever in my humble opinion. I and only interested in fair play and that hasn't been the case. Do I think they favor certain teams? No I don't. They are just bad period. 

I think if someone takes the time to look up penalty stats of all Colt-steeler games over the past  40 years or so you would find a very disturbing trend. The Colts get hosed. And remember stats don't tell the whole story, often times one team gets away with everything during the course of a game and the other team has ridiculous strategically placed penalties that are just killers. Remember the 95 afc championship game? Any semblance of fair officiating in that one and the Colts win easily. The 05 playoff game comes to mind also, Colts 9-67, steelers 2-8. Nice. And remember 4 of those Colt penalties were on the defense on 3rd down stops!!!! Where as the steelers guarded Harrison, Wayne, Pollard, Clark, James, and Stokely and didn't flagged one time the entire game. Oh well, it is what it is.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

I agree with what you are but bad officiating is just that. I have been watching the nfl for 60 years and this year is the worst ever in my humble opinion. I and only interested in fair play and that hasn't been the case. Do I think they favor certain teams? No I don't. They are just bad period. 

Oh it's terrible. And while I am not a conspiracy theorist...it makes even the less skeptical people wonder what is going on. That GB/DET game a few weeks was atrocious...officiating completely stole that game from DET.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Jacoby isn't the future of this team I don't think he will go to playoffs and do much. plus kind of rather we don't make it cause playing like this and the refs ruining good games we don't deserve a spot in there at this point.

Where and average team Ballard is doing a good job and Reich is very creative. But he needs to sometimes pull back just before the half he should have settled for a field goal,we would have been up 13-3 I sometimes wonder if he thought Ben was still the QB.

1 hour ago, colts8718 said:

Where and average team Ballard is doing a good job and Reich is very creative. But he needs to sometimes pull back just before the half he should have settled for a field goal,we would have been up 13-3 I sometimes wonder if he thought Ben was still the QB.

Td there was good on the drive they went for it on 4th and Hoyer fumbled that I would have let Adam try it heck what would it matter if he missed they turned it over anyways.

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It's one of those things where he's going down and you lunge for the body, but by the time you reach him you hit his head. It's just unfortunate

I'm a little surprised there isn't more of an uproar. Bad penalty on Leonard. Bad PI call on Tell. That insane voodoo fair catch call. Multiple missed hands to the face calls against us. I'm not usually a blame the refs guy, but that's just tough.

I should've known it would come at some point. We played 7 games, and other than a few Autry penalties, it has been the most favorable 7 game stretch of officiating towards us that I can remember. It just seems like normally every game the refs are just so biased towards us, but this year they've been pretty good or even a little biased towards us. 

Then the floodgates of bad reffing broke...

23 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Leonard did not hit him in the head, are you kidding me? Are you gonna tell me that Tell touched the WR? That Leonard hit JuJu out of bounds? That the Steelers didn’t hit our punter? That was a weak call in a game filled with them....the refs made some bad calls on both sides but they were straight up imagining penalties against the Colts. 

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Leonard did not hit him in the head, are you kidding me? Are you gonna tell me that Tell touched the WR? That Leonard hit JuJu out of bounds? That the Steelers didn’t hit our punter? That was a weak call in a game filled with them....the refs made some bad calls on both sides but they were straight up imagining penalties against the Colts. 

I already said the other call on Leonard was a joke.

19 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I think if someone takes the time to look up penalty stats of all Colt-steeler games over the past  40 years or so you would find a very disturbing trend. The Colts get hosed. And remember stats don't tell the whole story, often times one team gets away with everything during the course of a game and the other team has ridiculous strategically placed penalties that are just killers. Remember the 95 afc championship game? Any semblance of fair officiating in that one and the Colts win easily. The 05 playoff game comes to mind also, Colts 9-67, steelers 2-8. Nice. And remember 4 of those Colt penalties were on the defense on 3rd down stops!!!! Where as the steelers guarded Harrison, Wayne, Pollard, Clark, James, and Stokely and didn't flagged one time the entire game. Oh well, it is what it is.

Prior to the game on another thread, I stated that there is always home cookin' by the refs, especially in Pittsburgh, and a few posters scoffed at me. Can I say "I told you so" now?

22 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Prior to the game on another thread, I stated that there is always home cookin' by the refs, especially in Pittsburgh, and a few posters scoffed at me. Can I say "I told you so" now?

I still scoff at you. 

Fouts was right because the Pascal PI Was a gift. It had no chance of being caught. There were other favorable calls the Colts got. 

The calls against Indy that were truly bad were the Tell and Okereke ones  The Leonard penalties were deserved. The one at half was simply a stupid play on his part. No need for hit. The guy was stopped and going no further. 

On top of all that, AV hits a couple of kicks and Indy wins.  

there was no home cooking from the refs. 

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I still scoff at you. 

Fouts was right because the Pascal PI Was a gift. It had no chance of being caught. There were other favorable calls the Colts got. 

The calls against Indy that were truly bad were the Tell and Okereke ones  The Leonard penalties were deserved. The one at half was simply a stupid play on his part. No need for hit. The guy was stopped and going no further. 

Do you really think that personal foul where Leonard pushed the ball carrier out of bounds was a legit penalty?    

You can't be serious.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I still scoff at you. 

I remember the PI in the Atlanta game where the ball was about the same distance behind Julio Jones and it was upheld. This one was close to being in my opinion beyond catchable, at most 5 yards (15 feet) ahead of Pascal. I think there was a greater chance of Pascal Laying out catching it than Jones with his. At least they’re consistent.

The Leonard call With hitting the receiver in the helmet was technically correct by the book but in reality was kinda lame.

The call where Juju-Schuster was knocked out of bounds was bad. All game we were burned by receivers going to the outside. Contact was initiated in play and if anything, Leonard our too much force into finishing him out of bounds but still was enough warranted he’s a receiver and could’ve turned upfield.