Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Areas of concern from today

BProland85

What happened with our OL and WRs today? It seemed like Brissett was holding the ball due to WRs not getting open. As for the OL, they seemed to struggle blocking today in both the run and pass game. Hope we get this addressed ASAP. 

Offense definitely had me worried today. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

What happened with our OL and WRs today? It seemed like Brissett was holding the ball due to WRs not getting open. As for the OL, they seemed to struggle blocking today in both the run and pass game. Hope we get this addressed ASAP. 

Denver very good on defense

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Denver very good on defense

True, but they’re not very old on offense and they had several long drives.  D picked it up in the 4th Q when it counted.  

Rock got schooled.  I was irritated they weren’t rolling Hooker over to help.  

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Our WR receivers do not get open.  TY is the only good WR until Funchess returns and that's three games from now.  And who knows how long it will take for him to become a factor.  Here's hoping Ballard pulls a Bellicheck and makes a move or two. 

I give you props for your consistency and persistence however futile it may be.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Here is what had me worried at the end of the game.

Nothing.  A big fat nothing.  The tick goes into the W column and nothing else matters.  

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Our WR receivers do not get open.  TY is the only good WR until Funchess returns and that's three games from now.  And who knows how long it will take for him to become a factor.  Here's hoping Ballard pulls a Bellicheck and makes a move or two. 

It won’t be a WR if he does.

A W is a W. Teams can have good days and bad days. The Colts had bad days before (even with Luck), and will have bad days, that's inevitable. Even the Patriots lay an egg here and there. Good teams find a way to win on bad days, and that's what the Colts did today. Very narrowly, but they did it. 

Note: I've been following the Broncos since 2012 (Manning of course). I don't know why, but U didn't stop following them after 2015, I still know what's happening there, and usually I root for them when the result is irrelevant to the Colts. Anyway, I have seen all of their games this year, and I can tell, this was - along with their W over the Chargers - arguably their best game so far this season. They had a terrible game last week, and they came in today to show that they are not as bad as their records shows (just as the Colts weren't an 1:5 team last year). This is not a Falcons or Dolphins team which has already given up. They were in the game so far until the end in all of their games except last week. So, the Colts beat arguably the best Denver on a bad day. That's an achievement in the NFL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1. Denver has a great defense that played a lot of match up zone today.

2. No team is perfect.

3. They had two super long drives (aided by penalties) that kept our offense from getting onto the field.

4. We still outrushed them and Brissett still had 202 hard earned yards thru the air even with crappy field position (sans the opening kick off).

5. We won. Full stop.

• Like 2

I got an idea.  Let's make a trade for Odell and Julio .  Then we can finally find out if it is the lack of talent at the wr position or if it is  Brissett?!?!?  I am kidding but I wouldn't mind making a move for a wr or dt.  I'll take the more talented player at their positon.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Just a bad day for the offense but the Steelers when they play man will give us the same trouble and we wont be able to run on them so our recievers need to be better.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I got an idea.  Let's make a trade for Odell and Julio .  Then we can finally find out if it is the lack of talent at the wr position or if it is  Brissett?!?!?  I am kidding but I wouldn't mind making a move for a wr or dt.  I'll take the more talented player at their positon.

Brissett still hangs onto the ball a little bit too long that led to atleast 2 of the sacks.

You can thank JB for winning this game.  Breaking that tackle, avoiding the safety, and completing that pass to TY.  He refused to go down on that play.  Just like the Oakland game, our Oline decided to take the day off, and coach Reich fell back into the run, run, pass play calling routine.  Yep we won today but getting up for the big game, then coming out flat against a team that has struggled so far this season, will eventually bite us in the *.

I said this before, we are not good enough to overlook any team we play, no matter their record.  Thank you J. B. you get the game ball today

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

True, but they’re not very old on offense and they had several long drives.  D picked it up in the 4th Q when it counted.  

Rock got schooled.  I was irritated they weren’t rolling Hooker over to help.  

Outside of the drive to start the second half they picked it up the whole second half as they pitched a shutout the rest of the way.

6 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

You can thank JB for winning this game.  Breaking that tackle, avoiding the safety, and completing that pass to TY.  He refused to go down on that play.  Just like the Oakland game, our Oline decided to take the day off, and coach Reich fell back into the run, run, pass play calling routine.  Yep we won today but getting up for the big game, then coming out flat against a team that has struggled so far this season, will eventually bite us in the *.

I said this before, we are not good enough to overlook any team we play, no matter their record.  Thank you J. B. you get the game ball today

He got a little help from his kicker making a couple of 50+ yard field goals even with his misses.  

Also I agree with the idea that the Colts play to the level of the team they are playing, a normal problem for young teams like the Colts.  I do think the Broncos were highly motivated today as well.  They got embarrassed in their last game and I heard a guy from Denver that covers the Broncos say everyone was put on notice from Elway all the way to the backup punter after last week and pointed to the Sanders trade as an example of that.  Add into that the Broncos had 10 days to prepare for the Colts I wasn’t overly shocked to see them play well. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would like to see Mack catch more passes. That one he had today was great.

He’s developing that part of the game.  I remember after the Chargers game someone tore into Mack and one of the knocks they sighted was that he didn’t catch passes.  Clearly Mack is working on it and getting better at it.

• Like 1

1. Glowinski is regressing.  Some folks want to say, "Most of the OL consists of studs, who cares if Glowinski is having a bad year so far?"  My response: The OL is only as good as its weakest link; it has to work as a unit.  If Glowinski gets beat in pass protection, if he's not getting help, it doesn't matter how good the rest of the OL is playing.  Same principle applies to run-blocking assignments.

2. WR is a problem.  2 receptions for the trio of Rogers (1), Pascal (1), and Campbell (0).  Teams can put 2 defenders on Hilton and virtually stifle the passing game.  Funchess cannot get back soon enough.

3. CB depth.  No Desir today was a huge blow.  Hopefully Colts fans appreciate how good he is, even on a bad hamstring.  I'm not giving up on Ya-Sin, but he was awful today: he was slow and he played with awful technique.

4. DL depth is a concern.  I watched Hunt closely today (lost his starting spot), and his snaps as a backup were very low-quality.  He's a non-factor this year.

Those are my concerns after today.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Frank needs to have more faith in JB and keep the playbook open like he did vs Houston. It wasn't Frank's best day today, he had us run at times in tough situations. I am hoping Campbell will be healthy moving forward too. We need to use him more.

He is having trouble coming up with good plans with teams that have good defense. He needs to get better.

Just now, zibby43 said:

1. Glowinski is regressing.  Some folks want to say, "Most of the OL consists of studs, who cares if Glowinski is having a bad year so far?"  My response: The OL is only as good as its weakest link; it has to work as a unit.  If Glowinski gets beat in pass protection, if he's not getting help, it doesn't matter how good the rest of the OL is playing.  Same principle applies to run-blocking assignments.

2. WR is a problem.  2 receptions for the trio of Rogers (1), Pascal (1), and Campbell (0).  Teams can put 2 defenders on Hilton and virtually stifle the passing game.  Funchess cannot get back soon enough.

3. CB depth.  No Desir today was a huge blow.  Hopefully Colts fans appreciate how good he is, even on a bad hamstring.  I'm not giving up on Ya-Sin, but he was awful today: he was slow and he played with awful technique

4. DL depth is a concern.  I watched Hunt closely today (lost his starting spot), and his snaps as a backup were very low-quality.  He's a non-factor this year.

Those are my concerns after today.   

All extremely fair points.  While would agree with you on Glow for most of the season today a lot of the problems was on the left side, I think Nelson had the worst game of his career today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

All extremely fair points.  While would agree with you on Glow for most of the season today a lot of the problems was on the left side, I think Nelson had the worst game of his career today.

They have struggled the last two weeks. Maybe they aren’t as good as we thought and they are having issues with the new scheme.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Steelers game will be another beer drinking/Tums eating day haha 

Their defense isn’t nearly as good as the broncos. It will be tough though.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

They have struggled the last two weeks. Maybe they aren’t as good as we thought and they are having issues with the new scheme.

Their defense isn’t nearly as good as the broncos. It will be tough though.

They struggled late last week but were fine until then.  Then today they played another good front.  I think that’s more guys like Watt and Miller are going to get theirs too.  I wouldn’t panic about it.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Steelers game will be another beer drinking/Tums eating day haha 

Yep. That franchise just literally 'owns' us since forever.

Last win against them I can remember had D.Rhoades catching a TD pass. # I hate the Steelers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Yep. That franchise just literally 'owns' us since forever.

Last win against them I can remember had D.Rhoades catching a TD pass. # I hate the Steelers. 

Yeah last time we beat them was 2008. I hate playing them. The teams are different but still it is them lmao . Today was a must win because of playing them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah last time we beat them was 2008. I hate playing them. The teams are different but still it is them lmao . Today was a must win because of playing them.

Definitely thankful we won today because I'm thinking it's an L next week simply because we rarely show up against them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I have a bad feeling about next week too. We should win, they do not have Ben but a road game there is never pretty. 

Outside of the dolphins game there isn’t a game on their schedule I think they should win.  The Colts are talented enough to beat anyone in the NFL but their margin for error is so small all it takes is one or two bad things to happen and they can lose to anyone in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Outside of the dolphins game there isn’t a game on their schedule I think they should win.  The Colts are talented enough to beat anyone in the NFL but their margin for error is so small all it takes is one or two bad things to happen and they can lose to anyone in the NFL.

I agree but like you said our margin for error is small. If we turn the ball over more than once or just give up big plays on D, we are in trouble. 

I think Frank kept forcing the off tackle runs.  The Broncos did a great job of setting the edge & string out our outside runs.  I think it's time to get Wilkins more runs especially on days the outside runs are bottled up.  That change of pace would work wonders. Plus it'll keep Mack fresh for later in the year. 

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think Frank kept forcing the off tackle runs.  The Broncos did a great job of setting the edge & string out our outside runs.  I think it's time to get Wilkins more runs especially on days the outside runs are bottled up.  That change of pace would work wonders. Plus it'll keep Mack fresh for later in the year. 

You know for all the talk about how the run game wasn’t working today the Colts still had 127 yards rushing and a 4.1 YPC as a team and scored their only TD on the ground.  It wasn’t what we have become used to as fans but not all the long ago we would have killed for a rushing output like that against a really good defense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You know for all the talk about how the run game wasn’t working today the Colts still had 127 yards rushing as a team and scored their only TD on the ground.  It wasn’t what we have become used to as fans but not all the long ago we would have killed for a rushing output like that against a really good defense.

Stats are much different then we think the game went. Just watching you would think Flacco had more passing yards then JB. He didn’t. Mack had 74 yards. That isn’t to bad.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Stats are much different then we think the game went. Just watching you would think Flacco had more passing yards then JB. He didn’t. Mack had 74 yards. That isn’t to bad.

Especially against the Broncos defense.  I think a lot of people looked at the Broncos record and the fact the Colts were coming off a big win and the Broncos were coming off a big loss and thought oh the Colts should roll.  They didn’t and people are going hey what happened? And ignoring things like the Broncos are really good on defense and the Colts secondary is still pretty banged up.

The one thing that caught me off guard was the number of flags against the Colts.   Maybe some of that was Walt Anderson’s crew but the Colts were pretty sloppy on that front today.  They gave Denver six first downs that way.  Honestly, that was Denver’s best offensive game plan all day.  If the Colts held that down Denver maybe only scores once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You know for all the talk about how the run game wasn’t working today the Colts still had 127 yards rushing as a team and scored their only TD on the ground.  It wasn’t what we have become used to as fans but not all the long ago we would have killed for a rushing output like that against a really good defense.

I wasn't saying it wasn't working at all.  Just some of those runs ended up being drive killers as opposed to drive starters like they were supposed to be. Put us into too many 2nd & longs as opposed to 2nd & medium distances. That's where I think you insert Wilkins.  

I remember Addai's rookie year.  We started Rhodes all year but they shared the workload.  Playoffs come & we start Addai.  He's getting bottled up.  Couldn't get out the backfield.  We put in Rhodes & he jumped through such a small crease & broke a nice run.  Put Addai back in & he did the same thing.  Our running game would go on to carry us to the Super Bowl.

I think we need to use both of our backs.  To change up the pace, keep both healthy, & sometimes show the lead back that the cutback is there, you just gotta press that gap & take what's there. 2nd & 7 is better than 2nd & 11. 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

I wasn't saying it wasn't working at all.  Just some of those runs ended up being drive killers as opposed to drive starters like they were supposed to be. Put us into too many 2nd & longs as opposed to 2nd & medium distances. That's where I think you insert Wilkins.  

I remember Addai's rookie year.  We started Rhodes all year but they shared the workload.  Playoffs come & we start Addai.  He's getting bottled up.  Couldn't get out the backfield.  We put in Rhodes & he jumped through such a small crease & broke a nice run.  Put Addai back in & he did the same thing.  Our running game would go on to carry us to the Super Bowl.

I think we need to use both of our backs.  To change up the pace, keep both healthy, & sometimes show the lead back that the cutback is there, you just gotta press that gap & take what's there. 2nd & 7 is better than 2nd & 11. 

I probably shouldn’t have quoted you.  You aren’t the first person I’ve seen comment on the run game today and points are fair.  I just wanted to say hey the running game wasn’t as bad as we first thought.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I have a bad feeling about next week too. We should win, they do not have Ben but a road game there is never pretty. 

If it was a home game I would feel good but it’s a road game and have only won 1 road game against them in the last 30 years. It’s like a curse to play them on the road. I would not be mad if we lose lmao

• Like 1