Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Areas of concern from today

BProland85

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I probably shouldn’t have quoted you.  You aren’t the first person I’ve seen comment on the run game today and points are fair.  I just wanted to say hey the running game wasn’t as bad as we first thought.

It's all good. I understand exactly what you were saying.  For much of the game, Mack was averaging 5 yards per carry.  It's just the timing of the bad ones would help stall out our drives.  We didn't have much time of possession.  For the numbers he put up in the limited touches, he & the D carried the day.  JB & Vinny just put the cherry on top.  

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

It's all good. I understand exactly what you were saying.  For much of the game, Mack was averaging 5 yards per carry.  It's just the timing of the bad ones would help stall out our drives.  We didn't have much time of possession.  For the numbers he put up in the limited touches, he & the D carried the day.  JB & Vinny just put the cherry on top.  

Actually TOP almost ended up almost split.  It was like just barely over 30 minutes in favor of the Broncos.  It doesn’t seem like it but the Colts held the ball most of the third quarter and that really evened it out.

12 minutes ago, runthepost said:

If it was a home game I would feel good but it’s a road game and have only won 1 road game against them in the last 30 years. It’s like a curse to play them on the road. I would not be mad if we lose lmao

Yeah was telling a friend earlier, we have to win this Denver game because next week will be really tough. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Actually TOP almost ended up almost split.  It was like just barely over 30 minutes in favor of the Broncos.  It doesn’t seem like it but the Colts held the ball most of the third quarter and that really evened it out.

I can see that. We owned the 2nd half after their opening drive.  We just never seemed to get into a rhythm.  Everything felt disjointed. Whether it was penalties or just bad play calling or just not being on the same page, everything was a struggle.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I can see that. We owned the 2nd half after their opening drive.  We just never seemed to get into a rhythm.  Everything felt disjointed. Whether it was penalties or just bad play calling or just not being on the same page, everything was a struggle.

I think a lot of that credit needs to go to the Broncos D.  They never let the Colts get comfortable.  That’s why they are good.  

The penalties didn’t help.  One drive there was something like three straight flags after the Colts did something good.  Not all of them went against the Colts but having to stop after every play for a flag keeps you from getting into rythem.

Some of the play calling yesterday was really dumb. 

Where were the draws? Screens?

The were blitzing quite a few times with zero adjustments. 

Running Hines in between the tackles, and then on the very next play, they send Mack to the line and line up an empty backfield? (bass ackwards) 

Also, more Doyle, and less Rogers please. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anybody remember Frankenstein (Dan Hartman) and Tonto (Peter Shrager's dad) singing Christmas carols on SNL?  This response made me think of that for some reason.

FIRE BAD !

Phil Hartman, Keven Nealon and Jon Lovitz.   

Last week I gave Jacoby credit because he was looking around at options every play. I thought it was his best game as far as scanning the field to make the correct pass went. 

There wasn’t much of that yesterday. More locking on to his target and watching what happened. 

• Like 1

My concern is we are doing very little to get our rookie Wrs involved in these game plans. First its Cain with no catches last week, then this week you allow a healthy Parris Campbell to go an entire game with no catches and it seemed like limited snaps. No screens, no crossers, no quick hitches or slants, no over routes. Nothing!  I think Frank has to do morw to get his young players involved in the offense.

• Like 1

No pass rush since Turay went down, Flacco had all the time in the world. Not a sustainable way to play defense. Thankfully, we played an inept offensive unit and coaching, IMO. 

I do feel we should be active during the trade deadline to pick up a pass rusher like Vic Beasley for the rotation or Leonard Williams for the middle. The push and rush from the D has to become better to beat better teams.

On offense, I would love to have Funchess back, or more younger guys involved like Krunk pointed out above. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

No pass rush since Turay went down, Flacco had all the time in the world. Not a sustainable way to play defense. Thankfully, we played an inept offensive unit and coaching, IMO. 

I do feel we should be active during the trade deadline to pick up a pass rusher like Vic Beasley for the rotation or Leonard Williams for the middle. The push and rush from the D has to become better to beat better teams.

On offense, I would love to have Funchess back, or more younger guys involved like Krunk pointed out above. 

I wouldn't mind Leonard Williams. Would be a nice piece to have as long as we dont have to give up too much.  It would probably be just the change he needs. 

I think Campbell and Cain both need to play more and we need to do a better job at getting the damn ball in their hands.  That's the only way they will learn.  You got to take your lumps just like what they are doing with Rock Yasin,  Marvell Tell, Shakial Taylor.   There's no excuse for these young boys to go a whole game with no catches.  I think that's deeper than the player. There's some easy things you can do to scheme them open and get the ball in their hands. 

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Campbell and Cain both need to play more and we need to do a better job at getting the damn ball in their hands.  That's the only way they will learn.  You got to take your lumps just like what they are doing with Rock Yasin,  Marvell Tell, Shakial Taylor.   There's no excuse for these young boys to go a whole game with no catches.  I think that's deeper than the player. There's some easy things you can do to scheme them open and get the ball in their hands. 

The Campbell  and Cain thing is head scratching. They aren't  even using Campbell  right. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The Campbell  and Cain thing is head scratching. They aren't  even using Campbell  right. 

I don't know what the deal is but they act like they don't have the slightest clue what to do with the talent.  It's a head scratcher for sure. 

Just now, krunk said:

I don't know what the deal is but they act like they don't have the slightest clue what to do with the talent.  It's a head scratcher for sure. 

Think they used pascal, hilton, and Roger's mostly  yesterday,  which was the same wr combo that got shut down by the chiefs last year. Cain was inactive which won't  help him improve and Campbell  was just there to do nothing. 

Just now, Stephen said:

Think they used pascal, hilton, and Roger's mostly  yesterday,  which was the same wr combo that got shut down by the chiefs last year. Cain was inactive which won't  help him improve and Campbell  was just there to do nothing. 

It's getting a bit annoying.  How do you go a whole game and not get Campbell any catches or targets?  I'm sure Cain was standing there like "Now you see how I feel bro!".  I don't know what the thinking is behind this stuff but how do you ever expect them to grow without any targets?  Frank has to do more to get them involved in the offense. It's not like they drop the ball when they do get targets.   

That right side of the OL with Glow and Smith especially concerned me from yesterday. Looking back on that amazing play by Brissett, Miller and Wolfe did a stunt pass rush, with Miller rushing to the inside beating Glow, and Wolfe going outside to challenge Smith. Glow did not adjust and it appeared he didn't even attempt to try and block Miller. Usually, Glow and Smith have been very good passing off stunts to each other this year, but yesterday was an awful game for both of them in this regard.

Hope their communication gets better with blocking stunts starting this Sunday. 

12 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Penalties and OL could not open holes for the running game. Colts have scored 158 points so far while Houston has scored 212 and man for man that does not make sense.

HOU has a better QB, better WRs and a similar rushing attack...I think it makes sense. They also throw considerably more.

The Colts have a 7 point differential and a 5-2 record. That doesn't concern...but does speak to a small margin for error and more potential coin flips ROS. The MIA game is the only one I see as a cakewalk on paper.