Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 4 impressions: Brissett

SouthernIndianaNDFan

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Yeah but he gets no credit from some for a 3td day man.

He's gotta throw 5 for an 'atta boy'??

The three TDS are nice until you realize one came on a 22 yard field and another was in garbage time.  He also threw a pick sick at the worst time and if you want to argue the Ebron TD wasn’t in garbage time then you have to concede his pick six was the difference in the game.

If you only look at the number of TDS he threw its misleading.  

With that said he wasn’t the only thing wrong with the offense today.  The drops killed them too and those aren’t his fault.  I also thought the game plan and play calling was bad I was disappointed that the Colts never really adjusted to what the Raiders were doing on defense.  

Still Brissett was not good today either.  Was he the only problem or even the biggest problem?  No.  Was he a problem?  Yes.

• Like 6

I was at the game.    JB was bad.   I have him credit for maybe his best game last week.  And this one has to rank up there with his worst. 

Campbell was taking the top off the D.   JB is very slow through his reads and he was to slow to get the ball to the open receiver once he gets open.    Late throws D recovered to defend.     He had Campbell multiple times but never got him the ball 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I was at the game.    JB was bad.   I have him credit for maybe his best game last week.  And this one has to rank up there with his worst. 

Campbell was taking the top off the D.   JB is very slow through his reads and he was to slow to get the ball to the open receiver once he gets open.    Late throws D recovered to defend.     He had Campbell multiple times but never got him the ball 

Funny someone else said who was there said they were not getting open. Funny how people can have two different perspectives. I don’t believe you about Campbell at all.

Jacoby was not even in the top 5 in terms of why we didnt win this game.

1. The defense. We need Leonard and Hooker back but we also need to upgrade this DL. Eberflus seemed much more aggressive towards the end of last year. We need to blitz, because we still cant create pressure with 4 guys. We have to tackle better. I dont know how many times we had Jacob's wrapped up and didnt finish the job. Cant happen. And this is something I'm becoming very frustrated with, because it's been going on far too long and is simple fundamentals. However, missed tackles happen because you're late to the ball, and you wind up diving for a guys' feet going for the trip because you were late in your read. Cant happen.

2. Drops. We have had a drop problem for awhile now, and it's still rearing its ugly head. Cant happen.

3. Coaching. Frank has been really good at times, but Eberflus hasnt had it this year. They were outcoached today. Gruden and his staff had them ready. Their defense, in particular, played really well, because they were ready for our offense. They frustrated us early, jumped out to a lead, and then held on at the end. We need to do a better job game planning. No more soft zone defense. Young guys need to attack. We have to generate pressure on the QB. 2 straight weeks of no pass rush. Cant happen.

4. Penalties. We have been really good in this regard, until today. The offense put him in a hole too many times. Cant happen. 

5. Turnovers, he certainly had a part in this one with a big one at the end. But Campbell killed a drive tonight with a fumble as well. Cant happen.

Brissett was missing both his starting receivers tonight, and Marlon Mack also had to leave the game in the 4th. The receivers he did have were dropping passes left and right. His defense wasnt playing well. His line wasnt playing it's best, either. He was behind all night. He was in a firefight with a six shooter essentially.

He still gave you 250+ and 3 TDs. He moved the ball well enough to win another game. I've said it before, and I'll say it again......for this team to be who some apparently think they already are, they need a really good defense. That means they need to stop the run, pressure the QB on passing downs, tackle well, and create turnovers. They arent doing those things, yet. Leonard and Hooker can help in some of these areas, but they need to improve the DL in a big way.

On offense, he needs his line to play their best and give him a consistent running game to take some pressure off him. There were too many tfls by the Raiders today. And his receivers need to catch the ball, especially when you're short handed like that.

If we do those things today we win by 2 scores. Some of this is just the pains of watching a young team.

One other bright note from the loss.......Khari Willis. I think we found our SS. I like what I've seen from him very much.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Last week he played the Falcons.  Mariotta played them today and lit them up.  We r going to find out at the end of the year if he is our future or not so  buckle up.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funny someone else said who was there said they were not getting open. Funny how people can have two different perspectives. I don’t believe you about Campbell at all.

Buy the all 22 and watch it.   JB can throw the ball a long way.   He just doesn’t do it on time.   I watched Campbell a lot during the game.   The DBs couldn’t run with him.  He is extremely fast JB just waited to long to throw it     

• Like 2

PFF's blurb on Brissett's performance this week:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-week-4-pff-refocused-oakland-raiders-31-indianapolis-colts-24

Jacoby Brissett forced some ugly throws, including the game-sealing interception that was brought back for a touchdown late in the game when they were starting a drive to tie the game up. Brissett had multiple throws that were ill-advised and ultimately broken up, double covered or intercepted.

Eric Ebron and the other Colts pass-catchers didn’t help out Brissett by dropping multiple catchable passes. Parris Cambell had a solid game, moving the chains on a couple of third-down crossing routes.

I largely agree with their assessment. I wish we would move past the simplistic TDs/INTs and yards evaluation of QBs... 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, egg said:

a.   But not nearly as many as Luck. ..... Did you watch the KC playoff game?  

b.  Like Manning did in the Super Bowl and the pick six gave NO the win.  

c. Brissett has a high completion rate. Did you ever watch Manning fire a laser into Marvin Harrison's bread basket so fast that you couldn't even see the ball in real time?  

d. none of Luck's turnovers were untimely. His 83 INT's were actually at a perfect time.

Luck and Peyton also won a lot of games and lifted their teams to get them.  JB doesnt do that

hes not the reason we win or the reason we lose, hes just mediocre 

I've said this before that we're not going to have that elite QB play anymore. Brissett doesn't seem to be hitting the receivers deep like Luck did. I know they are 2 completely different players but it seems that if we aren't running the ball or hitting receivers quick off the line, then we're going to have some issues. The drops and the missed field goal hurt a lot too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

PFF's blurb on Brissett's performance this week:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-week-4-pff-refocused-oakland-raiders-31-indianapolis-colts-24

I largely agree with their assessment. I wish we would move past the simplistic TDs/INTs and yards evaluation of QBs... 

Well they saw the same game is did.   Thanks 

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

I've said this before that we're not going to have that elite QB play anymore. Brissett doesn't seem to be hitting the receivers deep like Luck did. I know they are 2 completely different players but it seems that if we aren't running the ball or hitting receivers quick off the line, then we're going to have some issues. The drops and the missed field goal hurt a lot too.

It’s still to early to say that. If we are 8 games in you might have a point. I give him a little bit of a pass tonight because of dropped balls and rookie receivers not ready to step up yet. Don’t act like Luck didn’t have a bad game or two every year. Did you forget the jets game.

• Like 1

TY has missed five games in his career and the colts have lost every one of them. I think we are on the right track but Cain and Campbell need more experience. Reich did not use Campbell correctly at all yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

it would be great if he would stop staring down his receivers so much that's one big thing that needs fixed. his pick 6 was bad he just stared down and that CB read that % and jumped it perfectly.

Stop acting like Luck never threw bad INT.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

TY has missed five games in his career and the colts have lost every one of them. I think we are on the right track but Cain and Campbell need more experience. Reich did not use Campbell correctly at all yesterday.

Stop acting like Luck never threw bad INT.

dear god are you his mother? he's a grown * man. he stares down his receivers deal with it.

16 hours ago, shastamasta said:

These JB threads are so predictable.

you mean everyone coming to his aid to act like nothing was his fault and it's the team that is terrible?? I swear every week I hear the same "Luck has done that too" crap and it's getting annoying. JB isnt Luck and NEVER will be the faster these clowns realize this the better. these JB threads become unbearable.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

dear god are you his mother? he's a grown * man. he stares down his receivers deal with it.

You guys are looking for any reason to trash him.  So he made a mistake. It’s not like he had all these great receivers open with all the time in the world.  You guys need to get over trying to nit pick everything. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You guys are looking for any reason to trash him.  So he made a mistake. It’s not like he had all these great receivers open with all the time in the world.  You guys need to get over trying to nit pick everything. 

he needs to be better to keep this job, the team wont go far with him playing like he has.  defenses will play the run, dare JB to beat them and he will get us to maybe 500 

17 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Not a good day. This is one of the problems I’ve feared with Brissett. He can manage the game, but he can’t really take it over. 

No one really helped him out today by any means, but even still, there’s a lack of killer instinct with him. 

Vague cliche

• Like 1

I have feeling obi wan jacoby will be here for a very long time its his first go as the hands down 1 and got that by way of very unusual circumstances let him grow in this offense didnt luck lose 4 in a row then became comeback player of year give jacoby the same time i think hes legit and I'll be happy as heck to call him my QB for the next 15 years

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

he needs to be better to keep this job, the team wont go far with him playing like he has.  defenses will play the run, dare JB to beat them and he will get us to maybe 500 

What’s so hard to understand that we had so many dropped passes and he had no WR. Once again our WR group looks horrendous. Until they grow up it’s not difficult to understand why. Also Reichs play calling was bad. He looks like chuck. Ir was so predictable. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

What’s so hard to understand that we had so many dropped passes and he had no WR. Once again our WR group looks horrendous. Until they grow up it’s not difficult to understand why. Also Reichs play calling was bad. He looks like chuck. Ir was so predictable. 

Jacoby also took too long to throw and puts way too much heat on it every single time.  Campbell could have had a td but the throw was very late and off target into triple coverage  

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still feel good about the season. Even if we lose to KC, if we win our division games we will be fine. That pick 6 by JB was a fluke. He never does that. Leonard needs to get healthy and stay healthy though, same for TY. 

Yeah, he just read the defense wrong. Idk why everyone is freaking out. He thought the guy would follow someone else but didn't recognize the zone

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yep, and most people are forgetting that there were almost 2 additional interceptions.  One to Doyle early in the game, but to be honest that was just a heads up play by the defender.  However, the reason he could make this play is more than likely because Jacoby was staring him down.  The other was late in the game and it was intercepted out of bounds.  His interception ratio has been padded because of all the dinking and dunking, but if he continues to stare down his receivers on the intermediate routes then I see more happening.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Jacoby also took too long to throw and puts way too much heat on it every single time.  Campbell could have had a td but the throw was very late and off target into triple coverage  

I dont understand this sometimes took to long to thrown bro hes playing with receivers who had a combined reception of about 8 its not jacoby yesterday was 100 percent on the D and the receivers eberflus better get it right soon or were screwed 

• Like 2

Just now, BLUEx40 said:

I dont understand this sometimes took to long to thrown bro hes playing with receivers who had a combined reception of about 8 its not jacoby yesterday was 100 percent on the D and the receivers eberflus better get it right soon or were screwed 

its all of the above including Jacoby.  we are not going far with him playing like that

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

You think he played a good first half? You think he played a good 3rd quarter? What about when the game was on the line? Seriously, what about today did you think he did well? He had like 50% completion. 

He didn’t get get a lot of help, I already admitted that, but he isn’t above reproach.

He's not above reproach. I wouldn't say he played great. He played OK. But in a game where our receivers couldn't catch anything, everyone was hurt, and our defense couldn't stop the AB-less offense from scoring at will, why are we blaming Brissett of all people for the loss? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BLUEx40 said:

You also can’t overlook how bad Reichs play  calling was. There were no plays that got the ball out quick.

2 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

He's not above reproach. I wouldn't say he played great. He played OK. But in a game where our receivers couldn't catch anything, everyone was hurt, and our defense couldn't stop the AB-less offense from scoring at will, why are we blaming Brissett of all people for the loss? 

this thread is about Jaboy, he would not be the first thing i blamed, but i wasnt happy with how he played either

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You also can’t overlook how bad Reichs play  calling was. There were no plays that got the ball out quick.

Oh my,  I hope you are kidding!  No plays that got the ball out quick... how can a play call get the ball out quick?  That requires a QB to be decisive and have anticipation.  Reich call a lot of underneath stuff but has to sprinkle in some downfield stuff to open up the defense for the game, and future games.

this thread is about Jaboy, he would not be the first thing i blamed, but i wasnt happy with how he played either

His stats are inflated due to last garbage time drive. The 3-1 TD ratio is misleading. Brissett was terrible yesterday with the rest of the team. 

• Like 2

its all of the above including Jacoby.  we are not going far with him playing like that

I know is our defense gave up 14 points on the first two drives jacoby was playing from behind all game its hard for any qb when you have unproven WRs and the D can just pin their ears back look at big picture he made 1 bad read all game with the D trying to take his head off the entire game i dont know how this loss could be anything other than the Ds fault

• Like 1