Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 4 impressions: Brissett

SouthernIndianaNDFan

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

and we will win zero with Brissett

What's next week's winning lottery tickets while you're visiting the future.

No team is ever likely to win the Superbowl in any given year.  Especially not an AFC team. 

We'll talk about Superbowls when the Patriots dynasty finally goes away.  Until then this is kind of their world and we're just living in it.  Which means I'm kind of OK with developing what we have right now and hoping that Tom Brady retires before the core gets too old.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You also can’t overlook how bad Reichs play  calling was. There were no plays that got the ball out quick.

When there is no down field threat, secondaries sit on the short stuff .  When there is no downfield threat, it is hard to run the ball.  When it is hard to run the ball, LBs are free to sit on the short, quick stuff.  

The Colts have little downfield threat, and until this is rectified, we are screwed offensively.

Chloe made the most ridiculous statement in the thread but i dont see you going after that.   youd rather challenge me saying JB is mediocre when lots of people agree

Chole said one dumb thing all morning in my opinion youve said many and whats the point in jumping into argument with someone who said one idioic thing when i agree with 95 percent of posts im on here alot and i mostly agree with her and sometimes i cant tell if your being serious or trying to make ppl mad

1 hour ago, krunk said:

What did you expect for it to look like missing most his receiving core brother?  Not only that they were dropping everything under the sun.  He could have gone out there and put up a whole different kind of deal if he were a worse QB.  I'm sure you'll act like you've never seen Luck do any of this stuff. In fact I've seen Luck do even worse in some games.  I don't even have to name the games because I'm sure you know them well. 

Oh FFS... again. I said it in another reply you can read my thoughts further if you want in my other posts in here. I want to evaluate Brissett independent of what's around him. You can still evaluate how he reads the field, how accurately he throws, what throws he makes and what throws he misses, how he moves in the pocket, what's his command of the game, how well he does in the red zone, etc. even with all his receivers dropping balls or his OLine missing blocks. 

Luck and most other elite QBs have played much worse games than what Brissett did yesterday, but that's not the question. We need to evaluate Brissett honestly over this season so we'd know what we can expect going forward... when hopefully his receivers don't drop balls and his run game is working well and the defense plays well... because you can win a random September home game against a bad team with just one of those being present but you need most or all of them + great QB play to have a chance to win in the playoffs against the best of the best. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BLUEx40 said:

Chole said one dumb thing all morning in my opinion youve said many and whats the point in jumping into argument with someone who said one idioic thing when i agree with 95 percent of posts im on here alot and i mostly agree with her and sometimes i cant tell if your being serious or trying to make ppl mad

not trying to make people mad, i just think hes mediocre despite a good passer rating stat.  we beat the titans in spite of him, and he did have a good first half in Atlanta. as for yesterday, he was bad like the rest of the team.  not the worst, but not good either 

she has said a lot more than one dumb thing too, says stuff like that all the time when she cant defend JB anymore 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

When there is no down field threat, secondaries sit on the short stuff .  When there is no downfield threat, it is hard to run the ball.  When it is hard to run the ball, LBs are free to sit on the short, quick stuff.  

The Colts have little downfield threat, and until this is rectified, we are screwed offensively.

Hopefully ebron remembers how to catch I liked his TD he could be a gamebreaker for us hes just a man coverage destroyer

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not only are his numbers indicating that Brissett is anything but mediocre -- the number of franchises that would be quite happy with a QB that produced at Brissett's level is much larger than the number of franchises that wouldn't.

Brissett is an above average quarterback.

Well I saw rankings of 15-19 after last week.  This week will cause this to go down IMO.  So he grades out less than average.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

sadly you are right. pascal and rodgers have been better than cain and campbell.

Rookies have much to learn and cannot rely only on their speed in the NFL.

20 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This x100. He has way too much on all of his passes, he has to slow those down.

Windows are tight. If the ball speed is slower, then the route running and timing has to be even tighter or pass break ups and interceptions will increase.

20 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I get that the receivers dropped some balls they probably should've caught, but you can't rifle every pass like that. 

Stafford is likely quite a bit worse, but Golden Tate was able to make plays when there.  But it's a receiver thing unfortunately. Remember these games last year?

"Six drops against the Texans two weeks ago in a game that went to overtime.

Six drops last week to the Patriots in a game that was as close as seven points in the fourth quarter.

Six drops Sunday against the Jets in a game they cut to six with 9:44 left in the fourth.

Eighteen drops in three weeks. Those guilty Sunday: Chester Rogers (on the first play of the game, no less), Marlon Mack (on the second play of the game, no less, a gift of an interception that promptly turned into a Jets' touchdown), Nyheim Hines (a would-be touchdown), Rogers again, Zach Pascal and finally, Eric Ebron."

Improvement has to be on the receivers as it has happened to both Luck and Brissett. They made it to the NFL. Catching (at times) hard or difficult passes are NFL plays. Make them.

20 hours ago, Solon said:

The passes weren't that hard tbh. The football would've bounced off their hands if that was the case. Receivers just dropped the ball and JB is the easy copout.

Seems so.

Charlie Weis (granted, a Jacoby homer) mentioned he hadn't seen a game with so many blatant drops in nearly a decade. He apparently missed those dreadful drops in games last year with Luck as the QB.

• Like 3

not trying to make people mad, i just think hes mediocre despite a good passer rating stat.  we beat the titans in spite of him, and he did have a good first half in Atlanta. as for yesterday, he was bad like the rest of the team.  not the worst, but not good either 

This chiefs game could tell us alot about him thats for sure but istill think he should get the whole season to prove to us one of us will defiantly be right by the end

19 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

????

On a 70 yard go-ahead-touchdown-drive, he passed for 7 yards.  Let's not get carried away with ourselves.  It doesn't have to be some 60 second drive where Brissett goes 7 for 9 and 60 yards for a TD, but com'on, when the running game is responsible for putting you at 1st and goal on the 4.  It's technically a comeback win, but if Brissett had 10 comeback victories, this would be the lowest on the list if you ranked them.  It's certainly not going ot start a reputation or nick name like "Captain Comeback."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BLUEx40 said:

This chiefs game could tell us alot about him thats for sure but istill think he should get the whole season to prove to us one of us will defiantly be right by the end

its asking a lot for him to keep up with the chiefs. Mack could even be out too, and hes our best weapon to go after them with.  if the colts win that a win a lot of people are going to be eating crow like me.  

if they lose i'll look at how he did individually, and if i think its good i'll say it. if not i'll see the same people in the thread next week saying the same things 

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

Not well last year... he did OK the previous time. This is the thing. You cannot seriously put forward this type of argument and expect me not to roll my eyes at it. Both me and you know that Luck gave us a chance to win most any game. This doesn't mean he will win every single game or he will be great in every single game... it just mean that the chance of him putting up a great game is much better than the chance Brissett gives you. 

I don't think anyone would argue about this.   

The thing is, Manning and Luck are talents that are hard to come by.   Heck, there are teams that have been trying to get that kind of talent for decades.   Mayfied was the first pick in the draft and I would take Brissett over him at this point.   Not even close.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

The thing is, Manning and Luck are talents that are hard to come by.   Heck, there are teams that have been trying to get that kind of talent for decades.   Mayfied was the first pick in the draft and I would take Brissett over him at this point.   Not even close.   

Seriously? Why? Why the hell would you take Brissett over Mayfield? I guess... his personality might be one thing and I can understand it if you just don't trust him with the way he caries himself, but purely as a play on the field why? Mayfield with this OLine would be amazing! I would trade Brissett for Mayfield tomorrow if I could. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

how do you figure that?  they can get out of his contract next year

teams like the chiefs and texans made trades recently to get their guy without having high picks.  the chiefs even had a much better Qb than JB when they did it.  i will be disappointed if they stick with him that long though

I don’t believe the coaches have the same opinion of JB as you. That’s why I said that.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I actually agree with this alot honesly maybe every qb drafted in the first round that year

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

well they wont come out and say hes mediocre like i did.  they had to start somebody this year on short notice 

They aren’t giving you lip service. They truly believe he is a top 20 QB. 

Guess we will see who is right. But I would place high bets JB is opening day starter in 2020

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seriously? Why? Why the hell would you take Brissett over Mayfield? I guess... his personality might be one thing and I can understand it if you just don't trust him with the way he caries himself, but purely as a play on the field why? Mayfield with this OLine would be amazing! I would trade Brissett for Mayfield tomorrow if I could. 

Bro go look at the stats jacoby is killing him. He has far better QBR hes way more efficient i mean imo (didnt watch yesterday) but baker is looking overrated

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Forget tomorrow, I'd hit the red button the second I heard the offer.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Baker completes less than 60% of his passes.   Throws more INT's than TD's.  I know QB rating is a flawed stat, but when it is 77, it tells you something.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh FFS... again. I said it in another reply you can read my thoughts further if you want in my other posts in here. I want to evaluate Brissett independent of what's around him. You can still evaluate how he reads the field, how accurately he throws, what throws he makes and what throws he misses, how he moves in the pocket, what's his command of the game, how well he does in the red zone, etc. even with all his receivers dropping balls or his OLine missing blocks. 

Luck and most other elite QBs have played much worse games than what Brissett did yesterday, but that's not the question. We need to evaluate Brissett honestly over this season so we'd know what we can expect going forward... when hopefully his receivers don't drop balls and his run game is working well and the defense plays well... because you can win a random September home game against a bad team with just one of those being present but you need most or all of them + great QB play to have a chance to win in the playoffs against the best of the best. 

In my mind I think he would have to be like Luck for you to even be satisfied.  Personally I think your mind is already made up that he isn't good enough.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

They aren’t giving you lip service. They truly believe he is a top 20 QB. 

Guess we will see who is right. But I would place high bets JB is opening day starter in 2020

i would not take that bet because it could be true.  im just hopeful they are looking for someone better. 

a lot of people throw out a generic i trust the coaches comments in these threads.  obviously the staffs opinions are the only ones that matter.  i just hope they get it right

People would be losing their minds with mayfields inaccuracy. I agree right now I would take JB. Think about this. JB even has less talent at WR then mayfield.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The difference is, there's a plausible future with Mayfield, there really isn't with Brissett.

That is false ad you have no idea what the future with JB Looks like. So you have a crystal ball.

• Like 1

Just now, BLUEx40 said:

Bro go look at the stats jacoby is killing him. He has far better QBR hes way more efficient i mean imo (didnt watch yesterday) but baker is looking overrated

I don't care about the stats on small samples. Baker is good. Stop looking at weird small samples of games where he's playing with 4th string OLinemen on already horrible OLine and a questionable playcaller. Watch his play, the reads and throws he makes, his accuracy. 

Sure, he's having a bad start of this season, but I don't expect this to continue. His skill as a passer is on much higher level than Brissett's. 

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Forget tomorrow, I'd hit the red button the second I heard the offer.

I'd have to check with all my intelligence contacts on what's wrong with him and whether he's beaten his girlfriend or killed someone last night for that offer to even be on the table. 

I bet if we drafted a QB and he played right away none of this picking his game apart would happen because he is a first round pick. You guys need to relax and let this season play out before you say JB is mediocre.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I don't care about the stats on small samples. Baker is good. Stop looking at weird small samples of games where he's playing with 4th string OLinemen on already horrible OLine and a questionable playcaller. Watch his play, the reads and throws he makes, his accuracy. 

Sure, he's having a bad start of this season, but I don't expect this to continue. His skill as a passer is on much higher level than Brissett's. 

His accuracy sucks.

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The difference is, there's a plausible future with Mayfield, there really isn't with Brissett.

Not really.   

Mayfield has shown that he has the lower floor but hasn't shown that he has the higher ceiling.   

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

You like the 59% completions or the 41% incompletions to the best WR core in the league.  

• Like 1

Mayfield has three stud wide receivers. It’s a ridiculous argument. You can say JB is doing more with less. Jesus give some time for Campbell and Cain to mature to go along with TY before making dumb comments on how he can’t get any better. Considering the situation you can’t ask JB to have handled this situation any better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Mayfield has three stud wide receivers. It’s a ridiculous argument. You can say JB is doing more with less. Jesus give some time for Campbell and Cain to mature to go along with TY before making dumb comments on how he can’t get any better. Considering the situation you can’t ask JB to have handled this situation any better.

I agree.  Jacoby is vastly exceeding our preseason expectations.  

The problem is after the Falcons win, people set their expectations rather too high.  They weren't ready for a step backward against an inferior team, even though all QB have them.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

You like the 59% completions or the 41% incompletions to the best WR core in the league.  

OH FFS! Stop with this nonsense. Completion % on small samples doesn't tell you much about accuracy. He was the most accurate QB in college over huge samples and on high difficulty throws. He completed 64% of his passes in his rookie year. 

Brissett will be lucky to ever have as good of a season as Mayfield did in his rookie year. And Mayfield didn't have this OLine and Frank Reich. 

If Mayfield fails it will be because of his attitude and his personality, not because of talent or skill. 

• Thanks 1