Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 4 impressions: Brissett

SouthernIndianaNDFan

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

People would be losing their minds with mayfields inaccuracy. I agree right now I would take JB. Think about this. JB even has less talent at WR then mayfield.

That is false ad you have no idea what the future with JB Looks like. So you have a crystal ball.

After 3 years in the NFL, almost every player does not improve what they are.  That's pretty much known around the NFL and that fact is proven time and time again.  If I'm hoping for Brissett to become a cornerstone of the Colts and long term solution, I am now betting against the great weight of the evidence.  I'm rooting for the guy, but I'm not really expecting anything above and beyond what we've seen in the past 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

After 3 years in the NFL, almost every player does not improve what they are.  That's pretty much known around the NFL and that fact is proven time and time again.  If I'm hoping for Brissett to become a cornerstone of the Colts and long term solution, I am now betting against the great weight of the evidence.  I'm rooting for the guy, but I'm not really expecting anything above and beyond what we've seen in the past 4 weeks.

You act like he has been starting for three years straight.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

In my mind I think he would have to be like Luck for you to even be satisfied.  Personally I think your mind is already made up that he isn't good enough.   

Not really, I have posts much before the season started that we shouldn't expect our next QB to be Luck/Manning level and that this is not a realistic goal to set. You can search back if you feel like it. I guess there is no way for me convince you Brissett can change my mind so... I guess we'll see in due time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

OH FFS! Stop with this nonsense. Completion % on small samples doesn't tell you much about accuracy. He was the most accurate QB in college over huge samples and on high difficulty throws. He completed 64% of his passes in his rookie year. 

Brissett will be lucky to ever have as good of a season as Mayfield did in his rookie year. And Mayfield didn't have this OLine and Frank Reich. 

If Mayfield fails it will be because of his attitude and his personality, not because of talent or skill. 

Lol. To you think before you typed this. JB is already on track to have a better season than mayfield had last year.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

OH FFS! Stop with this nonsense. Completion % on small samples doesn't tell you much about accuracy. He was the most accurate QB in college over huge samples and on high difficulty throws. He completed 64% of his passes in his rookie year. 

Brissett will be lucky to ever have as good of a season as Mayfield did in his rookie year. And Mayfield didn't have this OLine and Frank Reich. 

If Mayfield fails it will be because of his attitude and his personality, not because of talent or skill. 

Brisset is already on pace to blow Mayfields rookie season out of the water.   

Brissett has a team not expected to miss the playoffs at 2-2.   Mayfield has a possible Superbowl team at 2-2.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Me neither, but I can accept 65% completions and 10/2 TD to INT ratio.   

• Like 2

Just now, Myles said:

Brisset is already on pace to blow Mayfields rookie season out of the water.   

Brissett has a team not expected to miss the playoffs at 2-2.   Mayfield has a possible Superbowl team at 2-2.  

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. To you think before you typed this. JB is already on track to have a better season than mayfield had last year.

Only if you care about the most shallow and meaningless of numbers... AND on extremely small samples. 

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not really.   

Mayfield has shown that he has the lower floor but hasn't shown that he has the higher ceiling.   

Well, the ceiling is the mystery factor.  He's shown signs it's there, but it's not consistent either.  He's played three pretty darned good defenses so far.  Titans, Jets and Ravens (at least until yesterday) have all been pretty good defenses.  So it's hard to say how the 2nd year pro will pan out.  

To me, Brissett has been in the NFL long enough that what we see si what we're going to get.  I'm not going to expect a dramatic development mid-year or even nex tyear.  It would be extremely unusual.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Me neither, but I can accept 65% completions and 10/2 TD to INT ratio.   

Well yeah, and that sort of brings me back to my original point, he'll have stretches of 10/2 TD/INT ratio and that's great.  As good as that is, I also don't really see a QB that imposes his will on the other team.  I see a QB hwo needs a strong supporting cast around him.  That doesn't mean he can't be a mainstay here, but I also think it means we should try to improve at the position if the opportunity presents itself.

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i would not take that bet because it could be true.  im just hopeful they are looking for someone better. 

a lot of people throw out a generic i trust the coaches comments in these threads.  obviously the staffs opinions are the only ones that matter.  i just hope they get it right

It’s not about trusting the coaches. It’s about the fact they have been all in on JB long before Luck retired. They don’t see what you see. 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

if he really finishes with 40 TDs that will be good, but hes not there yet

This statement illustrates well your unreasonable standard by which you judge. Brissett.

Even though Jacoby is on pace for 40 TDs, I don't expect him to get there.

In 17 years Peyton Manning only hit 40 only twice.

In 17 years Drew Brees ........twice

In 13 years Aaron Rogers ....twice

In 6 years Andrew Luck..... once.

In 19 years Tom Brady.........once.    Matthew Stafford 10 years .... once.

Phillip Rivers 16 years ...never.Carson Palmer 14 years...never. Matt Ryan 12 years ...never.

Eli Manning 15 years...never. Ben Rothlisberger 14 years...never. Russell Wilson 8 years...never.

Cam Newton...never.Dak Prescott never.

Flacco never.

Daulton never.

Winson, Watson, Carr,Goff, No.No.No.

Tom Brady didn't pass for 30 TDs until his 8th year.

Drew Brees didn't pass for 30 TDs until his 8th year.

Eli Manning didn't pass for 30TDs until his 7th year.

Cam Newton 5th year. Rothlisberger 4th year. Russel Wilson 4th year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, egg said:

This statement illustrates well your unreasonable standard by which you judge. Brissett.

Even though Jacoby is on pace for 40 TDs, I don't expect him to get there.

In 17 years Peyton Manning only hit 40 only twice.

In 17 years Drew Brees ........twice

In 13 years Aaron Rogers ....twice

In 6 years Andrew Luck..... once.

In 19 years Tom Brady.........once.    Matthew Stafford 10 years .... once.

Phillip Rivers 16 years ...never.Carson Palmer 14 years...never. Matt Ryan 12 years ...never.

Eli Manning 15 years...never. Ben Rothlisberger 14 years...never. Russell Wilson 8 years...never.

Cam Newton...never.Dak Prescott never.

Flacco never.

Daulton never.

Winson, Watson, Carr,Goff, No.No.No.

Tom Brady didn't pass for 30 TDs until his 8th year.

Drew Brees didn't pass for 30 TDs until his 8th year.

Eli Manning didn't pass for 30TDs until his 7th year.

Cam Newton 5th year. Rothlisberger 4th year. Russel Wilson 4th year.

i dont expect 40 TDs nor is that the standard any reasonable person is looking for.  im looking for him to read the field better, to stop throwing so hard, and at some point to be the reason we beat a good team

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, the ceiling is the mystery factor.  He's shown signs it's there, but it's not consistent either.  He's played three pretty darned good defenses so far.  Titans, Jets and Ravens (at least until yesterday) have all been pretty good defenses.  So it's hard to say how the 2nd year pro will pan out.  

To me, Brissett has been in the NFL long enough that what we see si what we're going to get.  I'm not going to expect a dramatic development mid-year or even nex tyear.  It would be extremely unusual.

Most of that playing on a bad team with bad coaching and sitting on the bench for a year behind Luck. Geez give it at least until the end of the season before saying such silly things.

8 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

It’s not about trusting the coaches. It’s about the fact they have been all in on JB long before Luck retired. They don’t see what you see. Period.

It’s not about trusting the coaches. It’s about the fact they have been all in on JB long before Luck retired. They don’t see what you see. Period.

all in is a big stretch.  every team has a backup, he was ours.  they have to say something to the media now.  i dont have a problem with what they have said, they are not going to be like "well we think hes ok, i guess,  for now"

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

How did luck do against KC lol.

is that your only lame argument? the quicker you stop comparing JB to Luck the better off you will be you sound ignorant as hell when you do it. He isnt anywhere near as good as Luck and truth be told he probably never will be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You act like he has been starting for three years straight.

No, I'm acting like he's been in the NFL for 3 years...because he has.  What I said is not qualified.  That's a truth, no matter if you start or you don't.  Nobody's getting looks if they didn't see a snap in their 4 year rookie deal because, hey, they never played a down, so there's some development left in the tank.  Even for guys who sit behind all time talents, they are backups for a reason.  I don't care to get into the handful of examples like Montana and Young.  That's the 1 in 1000 or worse.  Expecting any backup to be the primary cog is almost always unreasonable as far as probabilities go.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont expect 40 TDs nor is that the standard any reasonable person is looking for.  im looking for him to read the field better, to stop throwing so hard, and at some point to be the reason we beat a good team

Your problem is you are making definitive statements. Your not saying he can improve in these areas. You are saying he can’t improve and he has already as good as he is going to get. We will know by the end of the season what we have. You don’t want to be peaking in sept anyway. You want to be playing your best football in nov and dec. 

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well yeah, and that sort of brings me back to my original point, he'll have stretches of 10/2 TD/INT ratio and that's great.  As good as that is, I also don't really see a QB that imposes his will on the other team.  I see a QB hwo needs a strong supporting cast around him.  That doesn't mean he can't be a mainstay here, but I also think it means we should try to improve at the position if the opportunity presents itself.

The 10/2 ratio for Brissett is the best thing going for him right now. He's been exceptional in the red zone. There really isn't much more you can ask from him there. The 65% completion is good too, but it comes with an asterisk - namely he's one of the QBs with lowest depth of target in the league and one of the QBs with lowest % of big-time throws. It's easier to complete high % of passes when you dink and dunk all the time. 

Brissett will never have a bad TD/INT ratio simply because he will always limit INT. He's the QB with the lowest INT% in the league in the last 20 years or something... His high TD% right now is a new thing for him, but the type of throws he makes doesn't suggest that it's sustainable. Usually high TD% is tied very tightly to big-time throws and Brissett is currently very low on those. So the expectation is that this will regress with time, unless he significantly increases his big-time throws(which he's never done - even in the Air Coryell offense he still had low big time throws%)... 

I guess, we will see how this one goes by the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

What kind of a horrific argument is that? Are you seriously putting forward the argument that you would rather have Brissett than Manning and Luck because they only gave you 1 SB? 

that's exactly what she is doing! she just never seems to realize how stupid it sounds.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

all in is a big stretch.  every team has a backup, he was ours.  they have to say something to the media now so they went with they trust him.  i dont have a problem with saying that to the media, they are not going to say well we think hes ok, i guess.  for now

They were all in when they were turning down a second rounder from Seattle.

Again I stand by my statement. If you’re expecting a new QB your going to be bummed.

This is Reich a minister. He doesn’t do deceptive coach speak.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I agree with that.   However, giving up lots of draft picks to move up and get someone that we only hope will be better would be silly at this point.  If he continued with his current rate, he would have a very good season.   

I expect something like 3900 yards, 65%, 32 TD's, 12 INT's.    That will be good enough to continue to build the team outside of the QB spot.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Again I stand by my statement. If you’re expecting a new QB your going to be bummed.

This is Reich a minister. He doesn’t do deceptive coach speak.

i guess you will be bummed if they do replace him?  maybe it will be next year or the year after

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seriously? Why? Why the hell would you take Brissett over Mayfield? I guess... his personality might be one thing and I can understand it if you just don't trust him with the way he caries himself, but purely as a play on the field why? Mayfield with this OLine would be amazing! I would trade Brissett for Mayfield tomorrow if I could. 

I honestly can't wrap my head around the stuff some are saying man its ridiculous!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I honestly can't wrap my head around the stuff some are saying man its ridiculous!! 

Mayfield has been acting erratic off-field and he seems like he lets criticism get to him way too much. I can understand people not trusting him with his attitude and personality and how he caries himself, but if you can guarantee me that he won't self destruct, I think he can be a very good QB for a long time in the league. His talent is real. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

that was never confirmed.  the way i remember is the seahawks inquired but never made a serious offer.  

also declining to trade a backup isnt the same as being all in, it means we needed a backup 

22 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Not a good day. This is one of the problems I’ve feared with Brissett. He can manage the game, but he can’t really take it over. 

No one really helped him out today by any means, but even still, there’s a lack of killer instinct with him. 

At least he isnt handing out dinner coupons and hugs to those that sack him.

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

Only if you care about the most shallow and meaningless of numbers... AND on extremely small samples. 

TD-INT isn't a meaningless number.  Higher TD-INT ratios are usually indicators of elite passing skill.

He's probably not a 5-1 passer.  But anything over 2-1 is pretty special.  Manning was a 2-1 TD-INT guy.

In other words, he's outperforming right now and likely to regress a bit.  But he's also passing extremely efficiently and not making a ton of mistakes.  I think the recency bias of the pick 6 is making this harder to appreciate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BLUEx40 said:

No im sure i said qbr people dont need context if they watch football which you obviously dont

You do realize why QBR has been a stat under fire since its inception right?  The irony in your post is hilarious.  I'll spell it out for you, QBR is a stat which ESPN pushed taht basically adds the context to any given play.  In other words, it's a stat that has built within it the film review so that people who use it, like you, don't have to watch film of all QBs.  ESPN does it for you.  

So, yeah, you citing QBR and in the same sentence criticizing me for not watching football is hilarious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You do realize why QBR has been a stat under fire since its inception right?  The irony in your post is hilarious.  I'll spell it out for you, QBR is a stat which ESPN pushed taht basically adds the context to any given play.  In other words, it's a stat that has, built within it, the film review so that people who use it, like you, don't have to watch film of all QBs.  ESPN does it for you.  

So, yeah, you citing QBR and in the same sentence criticizing me for not watching football is hilarious.

B-but you don't watch football though...

That's one of my least favorite/most annoying comebacks.