Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 4 impressions: Brissett

SouthernIndianaNDFan

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Qb rating is over rated, if he really finishes with 40 TDs that will be good, but hes not there yet

i want to see him lift a team the way good QBs do, right now hes mediocre and that wont take us far. if you only look at stats then you miss how hes slow to make reads and throws it too hard every play 

He did that the first three games. Just a note obviously the int. Just heard pascal ran the wrong route on that play.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You guys are looking for any reason to trash him.  So he made a mistake. It’s not like he had all these great receivers open with all the time in the world.  You guys need to get over trying to nit pick everything. 

this topic is to discuss what happened and whenever someone mentions something he needs to improve you come to his aid just cause you think hes the greatest QB ever doesn't mean everyone else does.

Just now, BLUEx40 said:

And i also have a feeling that you're posts will age poorly

we will see, i have a feeling yours will 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

He did that the first three games. Just a note obviously the int. Just heard pascal ran the wrong route on that play.

he did not lift the team the first three games, we beat the titans in spite of him not because of him.  he had a good half and a bad half against the falcons.  funny you mention a mistake by pascal but never any by Jacoby 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What’s so hard to understand that we had so many dropped passes and he had no WR. Once again our WR group looks horrendous. Until they grow up it’s not difficult to understand why. Also Reichs play calling was bad. He looks like chuck. Ir was so predictable. 

excuses lol always excuses with you. just cause others struggle doesn't mean JB was perfect. he wasnt far from it 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we will see, i have a feeling yours will 

he did not lift the team the first three games, we beat the titans in spite of him not because of him.  he had a good half and a bad half against the falcons.  funny you mention a mistake by pascal but never any by Jacoby 

Do you know how dumb this sounds. JB is the one that converted several plays to tie the game in LA,  He is the one that threw the  TD pass to Hilton to go ahead in TN. He is also the one last week that drove us down the field so the falcons never got the ball back. 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

excuses lol always excuses with you. just cause others struggle doesn't mean JB was perfect. he wasnt far from it 

I have never said he is perfect and doesn’t need to improve. It’s the ones that day he can’t improve who sound dumb. For the offense yesterday he is like number 4 on the list as to why we lost.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do you know how dumb this sounds. JB is the one that converted several plays to tie the game in LA,  He is the one that threw the  TD pass to Hilton to go ahead in TN. He is also the one last week that drove us down the field so the falcons never got the ball back. 

a couple of good throws doesnt make a good game.  now mention all of the bad plays he had 

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

I wasn't happy. I wasn't mad. I don't expect generational greatness from Brissett. I expect OK-ness or slightly better than OK. And that's what he was against the Raiders. 

I'm not saying you specifically blame him for the loss, but a lot of people have especially earlier on in this thread, and anyway the general consensus is that he played bad, and that's what I disagree with

Jacoby  had a flawed game.  He didn't play bad, and his game improved in the second half, but he was clearly uncomfortable, and I think you give some of that as credit to the Raiders D, and some of that as blame to Ebron and our rookie wideouts.

It's really hard on a QB when he can't trust his receivers to catch the football.  Trying to play catch up with not much running game and no truly reliable targets (other than Zach Pascal who was one of the few pleasant surprises yesterday) is no way to win footballgames.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

Jacoby's problem has always been that he stares down his receivers. 

Is that fixable/coachable? Not sure, but it is something to factor when deciding who will be the next QB of the future.

I truly think that he isnt staring that much i thought last game he was quick and decisive of where he wanted to with the football i think yesterday was product of not having his number 1 and his number 2 ebron imo couldnt catch i also truly think we have not found a number 2 receiver which i think resulted in him staring down the hot route and throwing it in harder 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

how do you figure that?  they can get out of his contract next year

Jacoby is good enough to make the QB position a nonproblem.

We have enough actual problems in other areas of the team that it would be completely and utterly irresponsible to throw Brissett overboard next year when we have him under contract.  Why create problems to solve when you don't have to?

Brissett is not the issue holding this team back at the moment.  Whatever's ailing the D is our primary issue.  Secondary issue is our desperate need for experienced pass catchers.  Once we've got that ironed out, if nothing else has gone wrong, then you can think about QB.

The real Brissett debate starts when it's time to renegotiate his contract and he wants to be paid like an NFL starter, which he's still giving us a bit of a hometown discount for next year at the moment.  While he's cost controlled keeping him is a no brainer.  It's when the cost control ends that the fun starts

Until then, he's our guy whether individual fans like it or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BLUEx40 said:

I truly think that he isnt staring that much i thought last game he was quick and decisive of where he wanted to with the football i think yesterday was product of not having his number 1 and his number 2 ebron imo couldnt catch i also truly think we have not found a number 2 receiver which i think resulted in him staring down the hot route and throwing it in harder 

We lost our number two in DF. So he was basically down two WR.

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he always plays about the same, and its not good enough to take the team far.  he is mediocre, not great not terrible, just mediocre 

His numbers are not pointing to a mediocre QB.  There's improvements he makes each game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Jacoby is good enough to make the QB position a nonproblem.

We have enough actual problems in other areas of the team that it would be completely and utterly irresponsible to throw Brissett overboard next year when we have him under contract.  Why create problems to solve when you don't have to?

Brissett is not the issue holding this team back at the moment.  Whatever's ailing the D is our primary issue.  Secondary issue is our desperate need for experienced pass catchers.  Once we've got that ironed out, if nothing else has gone wrong, then you can think about QB.

This. We need to fix the other problems before even thinking about a QB.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

hes not problem number one at the moment, that doesnt mean they cant address it soon either.  you dont draft to fill your biggest problem, you draft who can make the most impact.  that could very well be a QB

Route running wise and just forcing separation I think Campbell and Cain still have a ways to go.  Brissett right now really only has TY and the tight ends and backs to work with until Funchess returns. He didn't even have TY yesterday for that matter.  I think Campbell is due for a break out game sooner than later.  Cain is still working somethings out, but I'm not worried that he'll come around.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

His numbers are not pointing to a mediocre QB.  There's improvements he makes each game.

Not only are his numbers indicating that Brissett is anything but mediocre -- the number of franchises that would be quite happy with a QB that produced at Brissett's level is much larger than the number of franchises that wouldn't.

Brissett is an above average quarterback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

a couple of good throws doesnt make a good game.  now mention all of the bad plays he had 

There weren't many actually all i remember last week is him going 16/16 and the falcons D looked shell-shocked ithought we were suppose to be on the same team that fact that you cant find on good thing about jacoby blows my mind you act like hes the second coming of chandler harnish 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes not problem number one at the moment, that doesnt mean they cant address it soon either.  you dont draft to fill your biggest problem, you draft who can make the most impact.  that could very well be a QB

I really doubt our biggest issue by January will be replacing an above average QB.

Drafting a QB is the ultimate crapshoot.  You could get Mahomes, you could get Sam Darnold or Geno Smith.  If the guy you have is above average and cost controlled, that's as strong an argument as you need not to rock the proverbial boat

Just now, aaron11 said:

people said it wasnt about his numbers when they were bad, now the same people are trying to use numbers to says hes good

Actually, people were using numbers to say he was good, then those same people are using numbers to say he's good.

The skeptics just don't have the Yards number to contradict that opinion anymore so they rely on their fee-fees instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

I really doubt our biggest issue by January will be replacing an above average QB.

Drafting a QB is the ultimate crapshoot.  You could get Mahomes, you could get Sam Darnold or Geno Smith.  If the guy you have is above average and cost controlled, that's as strong an argument as you need not to rock the proverbial boat

Especially when he is clearly liked and a leader in that locker room. We need defensive help in the first round not a QB. Ballard needs to use these picks to move up is he has to to get a stud on defense. A rookie QB with this defense is going to be ten times worse then JB right now.

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Especially when he is clearly liked and a leader in that locker room. We need defensive help in the first round not a QB. Ballard needs to use these picks to move up is he has to to get a stud on defense. A rookie QB with this defense is going to be ten times worse then JB right now.

I wouldn't say no to some help THIS season too, if it could be arranged.  We know Ballard has the ammunition. Find someone young who is wasting away on the depth chart of his team and  could give us some weight and strength on the line.  Drop them some picks and add the guy,  What have we got to lose at this point?

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

if the guy you have is above average 

the stats you quoted dont prove he is good, a lot of it came in garbage time.  he isnt good at reading the field either and there is no stat for that.  i'll admit hes good if he stops staring down receivers, learns how to read the field and takes some heat off of his passes

he has a long ways to go

19 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I must have watched a different Colts-Raiders game.  Almost ALL of his throws were where they needed or should be.  These receivers can't get separation or catch the ball when they should.  How many dropped passes today?

I suggest anyone that thinks the WRs arent getting separation to watch the All-22 from week 2. I’m not saying people are running completely wide open but Open enough in the NFL. He often checks down instead of throwing a WR open. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

What improvements did he make in this game? I thought this was quite a poor game and a step back from Brissett. He threw a horrible pick six, he was staring his receivers down. He threw multiple balls into double coverage, he had multiple bad accuracy throws. 

At the end of the day the team was not good enough on multiple levels and mainly defensively and the receivers did him no favors, but lets be honest with ourselves when we are evaluating Brissett. 

No, Brissett is not the only reason, or even the main reason, we lost this one, but lets stop quoting those numbers like they mean something about the way he's playing. Right now the most those numbers mean is that he's doing pretty well in the red zone. This is not something to take lightly and this is a great development to have from him, but on a lot of other aspects Brissett is NOT showing why we (or any other team) should be happy to have him penciled in to start long term.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

people said it wasnt about his numbers when they were bad, now the same people are trying to use numbers to says hes good

When were his numbers bad......o you must be talking about the time he got thrown into starting 1 week after getting traded o ya that 1 week before the season started o and he had to play behind 1 of the worst lines in NFL history 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

the stats you quoted dont prove he is good

Uhh yes they do.

There's no such thing as "garbage time" when you're within 1 possession.  We were within 1 possession when Brissett made the pick 6 and then he completed another TD to get us back within a score and give us one last fighting chance... sadly the D failed to produce the stop we needed to capitalize on that last chance.

• Like 1

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

Uhh yes they do.

no they dont.  youre the same guy that thinks zones are only for when you dont have any talent in the secondary too?  not taking your opinion seriously

the bucs and seahawks had two of the best defenses ever and ran mostly zones 

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I wouldn't say no to some help THIS season too, if it could be arranged.  We know Ballard has the ammunition. Find someone young who is wasting away on the depth chart of his team and  could give us some weight and strength on the line.  Drop them some picks and add the guy,  What have we got to lose at this point?

Oh defiantly. Very easily could get someone in FA. My biggest question is does Ballard think it’s a issue to where he will address it.

We are 2-2 not 1-5 like last season. The sky isn’t falling.

Just now, aaron11 said:

no they dont.  youre the same guy that thinks zones are only for when you dont have any talent in the secondary too?  not taking your opinion seriously

the bucs and seahawks had two of the best defenses ever and ran mostly zones 

You act like thats more ridiclous than crap you've been spewing all morning

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

What improvements did he make in this game?

He actually showed a lot of the same stuff we saw against Atlanta.  That, and he proved that he could take an offense and put up a reasonable number of points even when the running game wasn't working. 

Remember, the Raiders successfully stopped the run game, Mack was out of the picture completely, and Brissett still got us 24 points.

Especially considering he was playing without his favorite target and the entire offense was on his shoulders, there was plenty of signs of progress.  Reember, the preseason verdict was that he wasn't capable of leading the offense without a strong running game.  Well we didn't have a strong running game and JB put up enough points to win anyway, at least he would have if the D had been even semi competent.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

What improvements did he make in this game? I thought this was quite a poor game and a step back from Brissett. He threw a horrible pick six, he was staring his receivers down. He threw multiple balls into double coverage, he had multiple bad accuracy throws. 

At the end of the day the team was not good enough on multiple levels and mainly defensively and the receivers did him no favors, but lets be honest with ourselves when we are evaluating Brissett. 

No, Brissett is not the only reason, or even the main reason, we lost this one, but lets stop quoting those numbers like they mean something about the way he's playing. Right now the most those numbers mean is that he's doing pretty well in the red zone. This is not something to take lightly and this is a great development to have from him, but on a lot of other aspects Brissett is NOT showing why we (or any other team) should be happy to have him penciled in to start long term.  

What did you expect for it to look like missing most his receiving core brother?  Not only that they were dropping everything under the sun.  He could have gone out there and put up a whole different kind of deal if he were a worse QB.  I'm sure you'll act like you've never seen Luck do any of this stuff. In fact I've seen Luck do even worse in some games.  I don't even have to name the games because I'm sure you know them well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

The problem with this is you can’t ignore the circumstances he had yesterday. I am not sure a elite QB being down 2 WR and recovers dropping balls would of had much success yesterday. 

18 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

No they werent, they were saying playing well isn't always about yards. 

Name an important metric and Jacoby is doing ok. Points, yards, TDs, turnovers, completion percentage, 3rd down, 4th down.......you dont blame the QB because you felt like Parris Campbell was open and Jacoby didnt hit him for a long TD on a random play at some point through out the game.

When the defense sucks, you blame the defense. 

When the special teams suck, you blame them.

When the receivers drop balls, you blame them.

You dont replace the QB so your Pro Bowl TE drops his passes instead of Jacoby Brissetts passes.

You dont replace the QB and expect HIM to win a shootout because your defense cant stop anybody.

You dont replace the QB and allow Ryan Kelly to get 2 blocking downfield penalties turning solid gains into losses. 

You dont expect Brissett to score points despite the kicking game letting him down.

It makes zero sense to blame Brissett for anything. Hes played well enough to get us to 4-0, while playing some solid teams. He has been keeping us in these games. The team has not played well outside of the OL, Marlon Mack, TY Hilton and Jacoby Brissett. 

We are 2-2 because of those guys. We would be 0-4 without them. The idea is to give them more support, not throw in a dude who played well against a bunch of guys who are on the street right now and expect him to do what Jacoby couldnt.

• Like 1

Just now, BLUEx40 said:

You act like thats more ridiclous than crap you've been spewing all morning

i said Jacoby was mediocre, i dont think thats ridiculous .  i hope for better than mediocre QB so im pretty critical of JB.  was tough on Luck after bad games too, he was terrible in KC and i didnt hold back