Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 4 impressions: Brissett

SouthernIndianaNDFan

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

These are the kinds of games that make me give pause about feeling comfortable with him.  

Why?  I mean I  don't get this mentality at all.  Brissett did enough to win, he made some mistakes including a whopper in the form of the pick 6, but in a game when the running wasn't working for us he put the team on his back and nearly brought us back into the game.

I mean we should have gone into this game knowing he wasn't Peyton.  Peyton should be expected to fuel this kind of comeback.  With Brissett you've GOT to have more than him.  We really didn't today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Drops didn’t help but this wasn’t his best game either.  Once again the chunk plays were missing and the Raiders were sitting on the run and had the two deep passes the Colts tried well covered.  Not Reich’s best day calling the plays but the drops were the biggest issue.

We got outplayed and out coached today. 
  Surprised i guess that Cain is such a no show. Campbell isn't there yet either that is for sure.
 And yes Brissett was off target and his throws were late getting there.
 Very good job by Oakland against our o-line, and against our passing game.
  Glad to see Speed out there. We need him in lots of situations.
  Walker meh

• Like 1

The word coming into this year was:

a. Brissett has a lot of balls batted down. The Raiders sure did that.

b. Brissett locks onto a receiver. Check. He still does.

c. Brissett throws mostly fastballs. Outside of some goal line flips, check. But the Colts receivers go above and beyond in aiding Brissett's mediocrity with their numerous drops. It reached ridiculousness in the Oakland game.

d. Brissett will have untimely turnovers. In the Oakland game...check.

For all the leadership Brissett and Reich are supposed to have, it must have been behind closed doors in the locker room because you sure didn't see any fire/"we need to do better" emotion on the sideline in the Oakland game. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Campbell and Cain have looked lost all year.  I'm almost ready to stop waiting on them and start calling for Ballard to shore up the WR team.  

Right now our #2 receiver is Zack Pascal.  That's how bad Cain and Campbell have been.

sadly you are right. pascal and rodgers have been better than cain and campbell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

NFL receivers should catch those footballs.

Brissett is accurate and hitting their hands. That’s what matters.

Maybe.  But it really doesn’t help our cause if they’ve got too much heat on them.

That said, most of the drops today were clearly on the receivers.  I’ve been critical of Jacoby’s velocity from short/medium distance.  But he wasn’t too bad on that today.

16 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think he had a really bad game.  Went to Campbell twice on deep routes, but he was completely covered.  He was once double covered and once quadruple covered.  He threw a lot of passes into coverage.  He also telegraphed that pick 6 at the end by a mile.  And is it just me, or does he look like he's throwing the ball at 100 mph each time?  Receivers didn't help him out very much with all those drops though

This x100. He has way too much on all of his passes, he has to slow those down. I get that the receivers dropped some balls they probably should've caught, but you can't rifle every pass like that. 

5 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Why did it take so long for someone to say this

Because people are used to a QB centered philosophy.

Really was't on Brissett guys.  He wasn't great, but he did pick it up in the second half and made a valiant effort to get us back in the game.  When nothing else is working though, there's only so much you can ask of a young non-premium QB.

Brissett did more than I expected today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColtsAC said:

c. Brissett throws mostly fastballs. Outside of some goal line flips, check. But the Colts receivers go above and beyond in aiding Brissett's mediocrity with their numerous drops. It reached ridiculousness in the Oakland game.

For all the leadership Brissett and Reich are supposed to have, it must have been behind closed doors in the locker room because you sure didn't see any fire/"we need to do better" emotion on the sideline in the Oakland game. 

it was a bad game all around, but they can do better than this. Heck if throwing 3tds and 1 int is a bad game for Brissett despite all the drops I'd say we are in good hands. With that being said if hilton is out in kc chiefs 62 colts 17

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Maybe.  But it really doesn’t help our cause if they’ve got too much heat on them.

That said, most of the drops today were clearly on the receivers.  I’ve been critical of Jacoby’s velocity from short/medium distance.  But he wasn’t too bad on that today.

Idk man, it just seems to me that the majority look like they're thrown too hard. It's obviously not every pass, but he has to refine that to take a step forward. Guys like Cain and Campbell haven't played at this level, they need help and I'm not sure he's gonna be able to provide that for them. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

I contest D.  Brissett has a grand total of 10 turnovers in his entire career.  If you have less turnovers than  career games played, "turnover prone" is not a valid criticism of your game.

That, and until this game timely 4th quarter execution was Brissett's calling card.  I think you're a victim of recency bias

I also contest C.  We've got a stable of young, unproven wideouts.  If you're looking to blame JB for the drops, you kind of have to neutralize them as a factor first.  We've got some serial droppers in this WR group.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

I contest D.  Brissett has a grand total of 10 turnovers in his entire career.  If you have less turnovers than  career games played, "turnover prone" is not a valid criticism of your game.

I also contest C.  We've got a stable of young, unproven wideouts.  If you're looking to blame JB for the drops, you kind of have to neutralize them as a factor first.  We've got some serial droppers in this WR group.

yea if the wrs don't catch or fumble the ball when they do that is not on the qb

Quick thoughts:

I praised Brissett after last weeks performance, but then I re-watched the game realized that play calling was responsible for most of the wide open receivers and he only had to make an "easy" pass to them.  It was also obvious that all those wide open passes were to the first read receiver.  I want to watch Brissett go through his reads and FIND open receivers, and I have yet to see that.  Now, maybe our wide receivers are not open, but I am concerned about the following from his game play so far:

- Stares down receivers (both picks) -- this is worse than letting your receivers make a play, and the other team's DB does.

- Checks down 90% of the time (or more).

- When he runs he pulls down the ball with little to no intention of making a big play downfield (EXCPET for that TD at the end of the game, I want to see more of that).

- lacks touch and anticipation

I think the bombs today were also scripted (first read) so that teams would have to respect the deep ball, and that is why he threw in to double and triple coverage.

Earlier this year I was worried that Brissett would be little more than a game manager and that we might end up in QB purgatory (like Tennessee), and this game did little to dispel this thought. 

On a side note, the cover 2 defense is even worse when you don't have a high powered offense.  I miss the "Starwars" era now that we have the same defense with a medicore offense.  I guess this is the "Cardiac Colts" era.

• Like 1

Brissett had a bad game, but let's not throw him into the rearview mirror.  The guy is in his first season as a full-time starter.  He's going to have some growing pains and adjustments.  Not only that, but it was just 1 week ago that he played absolutely lights out.  No one is perfect and every QB is bound to have bad games here and there.  Even Brady had a bad game this week.  Furthermore, this loss was on the whole team and coaching staff.  Defense couldn't stop anything, play calls were questionable, lots of drops by the pass catchers, lots of injuries to deal with.  Let's not go overboard here

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Quick thoughts:

I praised Brissett after last weeks performance, but then I re-watched the game realized that play calling was responsible for most of the wide open receivers and he only had to make an "easy" pass to them.  It was also obvious that all those wide open passes were to the first read receiver. 

The Falcons game could be one of the best Brissett has all season (it was a really good game to be fair). Part of it was the Falcons run a super soft zone defense. Just look at what they gave up to the Titans today.

I don't mean for that sound negative at all...just that it was a perfect game for him to flourish.

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

it was a bad game all around, but they can do better than this. Heck if throwing 3tds and 1 int is a bad game for Brissett despite all the drops I'd say we are in good hands. With that being said if hilton is out in kc chiefs 62 colts 17

Heck even with Hilton it might be that ugly with this defense.

5 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I just wish they would start Kelly :wall:

You want to bench a guy who:

a) is completing over 70% of his passes

b) has only 1 INT on the year

c) has a passer rating of over 110 this season

d) has 20 starts under his belt

e) has been the starter since training camp

In exchange for a guy who has played in 1 career game?

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Does he have to throw it as hard as he can every time? Good lord man, take something off some of those passes. The guys have their man beaten and he still rifles it in there. No wonder they drop everything. 

Merging this with the other Brissett thread since this topic was brought up in the other thread

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Week 4 impressions: Brissett
2 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

Those rockets absolutely affect how the receiver catches the ball. Truth is brissett is just an ok QB. Hes not gonna lose you very many games but hes not gonna win you very many either

So your going to ignore the first three games. Just stop. Luck didn’t okay great every game either. We didn’t have our two top WR. I actually think he played well considering what he had to work with.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Stop you sound ridiculous.  What did you expect with two rookie WR having to carry the game and all the drops. JB still had 3 TD.

Oh ffs. 

You saying someone sounds ridiculous it the pot calling the kettle a cooking instrument. You regularly embody the concept. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So your going to ignore the first three games. Just stop. Luck didn’t okay great every game either. We didn’t have our two top WR. I actually think he played well considering what he had to work with.

What exactly did I ignore? I said hes an ok qb. Which is what he showed the first 3 weeks. It's hard to make a ton of mistakes throwing 5 yard passes. 

1 minute ago, CantBeStopped said:

What exactly did I ignore? I said hes an ok qb. Which is what he showed the first 3 weeks. It's hard to make a ton of mistakes throwing 5 yard passes. 

Brissett had more yards, completions, touchdowns and YPA than the guy that "beat" him.

You've heard of team wins, this was a team defeat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CantBeStopped said:

What did you expect with two rookie WR who looked totally lost. Your always going to be in trouble with two rookies.

We were also way to predictable con offense. Where did Reichs great play calling go.

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

NFL receivers should catch those footballs.

Brissett is accurate and hitting their hands. That’s what matters.

This! 

Go watch this years Hard Knocks and the discussion with a former receiver and AB. I would have to go back and see who exactly it was, but to paraphrase he was talking of the zip on Carr's passes and how as a receiver, you want a guy that can get you the ball as fast as possible. 

If you are a professional receiver/tight end or runningback in this league, there is no excuse to drop a pass that hits your hands. ZERO. You get paid more than lifetime's worth earnings in a single year to do one thing...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

CP/ATT            YDS     TD        INT

Jacoby Brissett     24/46               265      3             1

4-5 less drops and we'd be talking about what a great game he had

• Like 2