Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are retired players drug tested?

Trace Pyott

I know this post is going to catch tons of heat and I’m ok with that so here goes lol.  First of all I’m not a conspiracy guy but I think this is totally plausible yet highly unlikely.  Could luck have retired in order to maybe get off the drug testing pool and maybe get on some good stuff, maybe not unlike the stuff he got from Europe last time he was recovering........maybe some form of hgh, stem cell therapy or treatments not allowed by the nfl in order to heal completely and come back?  

However in order for this entire scenario to be plausible which I reiterate probably isn’t, the nfl would have to take retired players out of their testing pool. Does anyone know the drug testing rules for retired players?? Also what are the rules for stem cell therapies?

This type of stuff has happened in other sports before. Brock Lesnar used a Nevada State athletic commission loophole to compete completely juiced to the gills. 

I’m not calling luck a cheater at all I’m just saying he could be using every tool to come back healthy for the first time since his career started in Indy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trace Pyott said:

Could luck have retired in order to maybe get off the drug testing pool and maybe get on some good stuff, maybe not unlike the stuff he got from Europe last time he was recovering........maybe some form of hgh, stem cell therapy or treatments not allowed by the nfl in order to heal completely and come back?

He came back healthy LAST SEASON and played an ENTIRE SEASON and if he was drug tested he DID NOT FAIL.

13 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I know this post is going to catch tons of heat and I’m ok with that so here goes lol.  First of all I’m not a conspiracy guy but I think this is totally plausible yet highly unlikely.  Could luck have retired in order to maybe get off the drug testing pool and maybe get on some good stuff, maybe not unlike the stuff he got from Europe last time he was recovering........maybe some form of hgh, stem cell therapy or treatments not allowed by the nfl in order to heal completely and come back?  

However in order for this entire scenario to be plausible which I reiterate probably isn’t, the nfl would have to take retired players out of their testing pool. Does anyone know the drug testing rules for retired players?? Also what are the rules for stem cell therapies?

This type of stuff has happened in other sports before. Brock Lesnar used a Nevada State athletic commission loophole to compete completely juiced to the gills. 

I’m not calling luck a cheater at all I’m just saying he could be using every tool to come back healthy for the first time since his career started in Indy. 

That's a reasonable thought.   I'm not sure why other posters are giving you crap for it.   You didn't imply he was doing drugs.   

I think it is possible that he had doctors who recommended treatment that wouldn't pass the NFL's drug testing.   Possible, but not probable.    

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I am not sure that the NFL would have any legal authority to drug test retired players. I mean, if I were out of the league via retirement, if they came knocking, regardless of what I was doing, I’d say nope, not letting you do it. You’re not the boss of me. :)

18 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

If his shoulder were still an issue, your conjecture might have some merit.

In any case, the NFL likely has no authority over retired players.  I'll guess that Robert Mathis is no longer being tested.

18 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Does anyone know the drug testing rules for retired players??

Once the retirement paperwork is submitted and approved, there is no more drug testing. If they 'un-retire', I'll bet  a urine sample collector would be at their door at first light.

Also what are the rules for stem cell therapies?

Basically, between U.S. and European treatments it has been the balance between risk and regulation.  It's a moving target.  Treatments not allowed in the U.S. may be allowed (in some countries) overseas. But there are increased risk possibilities. 

The FDA has been keeping tabs and cracking down on U.S. clinics using unapproved methods (including unapproved stem cell methods) as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/08/28/fda-cracks-down-on-stem-cell-clinics-including-one-using-smallpox-vaccine-in-cancer-patients/

Some concerns I would have getting treatment overseas involves, safety, quality control, and follow up (especially if complications arise). Also, if treatment is part of a trial, how do you know you get the treatment, and not the placebo?

Anyway, I think Andrew can heal up just fine here, and not risk his health on the gridiron anymore.  He doesn't need football.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 8:59 AM, Myles said:

Thanks a lot Myles ....Yah  I think they lack the imagination, creativity or reading comprehension to understand that I said it was highly unlikely but totally possible. I have yet to hear one of the people who ridiculed this thread and myself for making it tell me why it’s impossible that luck didn’t do what I questioned. Also, we have arguably the best medical system in the world why did he go to Europe in the first place last year?  Also to those who say he was healthy therefore he wouldn’t need anything like hgh or stem cells, wasn’t the reason he didn’t have play preseason was his ankle?

If it were me and  I was having health issues like an ankle that was bothering me and that may linger all year long unless I get surgery...and even if I elect not to get surgery I’m going to miss many weeks I would totally retire and use that time to take whatever science can make to heal me to make me come back better then ever the next year. This all hinges on if his leg really was jacked up like he said or was just using it as an excuse to think it over. I know this whole thing seems improbable and I admit it is but to the ones calling me an * I will ask you one question.  If A year ago I told you luck was going to retire a few weeks before this season you would of called me crazy and an *. My point is , crazier things have happened. 

Honestly who even fricken knows now days. But to the title, no. You would not be drug tested while retired. You no longer work for said company. 

in all honesty I wondered how doctor prescribed Testosterone or drugs worked. I know guys who are on HRT at 25. Or the prescribe other "steroids" for various reasons medically. Steroids are not the problem. Steroid abuse is. Abuse of anything is a problem. You can die from drinking to much water. 

There are a lot of theories about Luck's abrupt retirement that can't be proven, but probably shouldn't be summarily dismissed. The circumstances are unique, he himself talked about being in a dark place during his shoulder rehab, and about not wanting to go there again. He was so serious about that feeling and staying far away from it that he walked away two weeks before the season started. 

That said, I don't think there's much to the idea that he wants to operate outside the NFL rules for a year and then come back. I think the idea that he wants to not be restricted by NFL rules might be legitimate -- maybe he feels there are pain management options that are banned by the league, but are better for his well being -- but I think turning that into 'he wants to get right and return in 2020' is a level of denial/bargaining that I'm not comfortable with. 

2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Also, we have arguably the best medical system in the world why did he go to Europe in the first place last year?

Maybe the most tested, safe, and approved medical is the U.S.  Many breakthroughs arrive in Europe first, as differing countries overseas have higher and different levels of experimental treatments that are not yet allowed in the U.S. until they are fully tested and approved by the FDA.

2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

If it were me and  I was having health issues like an ankle that was bothering me and that may linger all year long unless I get surgery...and even if I elect not to get surgery I’m going to miss many weeks I would totally retire and use that time to take whatever science can make to heal me to make me come back better then ever the next year.

Maybe you'd be better physically, but as a GM, I would certainly question your love for football. You heart not being 'all in'.  I'd want to see you bust your butt rehabbing (with full pay) at team facilities getting healthy, not hear you retired, went to Amsterdam to hang out at coffee houses and pay a visit or two t Dr. Quack until you felt good again. Then want to 'come back'.

Here's another thing.  After retirement, your pay and medical benefits may change. (especially for non vested players).  But I'm not a GM (thankfully).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Who knows, maybe there is something lurking beneath the retirement that no one but a select few in Luck’s circle know about.

But I think he just didn’t feel like playing football anymore.

I remember reading this and thinking how lucky we were to get him for 2018.  Then the leg thing cropped up... then lingered. :(

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/09/04/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-shoulder-scared-my-core-wouldnt-play-football-again/1184529002/