Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Player most likely to be cut

Myles

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Different game. Hines was really good at returns in college too and that didn't work out. Regardless, with the number of touchbacks, returns are basically useless. 

Punt returns aren't useless. I think it's fair to say that Campbell is not only faster (which is saying something because Hines is FAST), but his 20 yard shuttle, which essentially explains how fast he moves in short bursts, kind of like during a return, was about half a second faster than Hines. That's a huge margin in that drill. You may ultimately be right, but Campbell is better tuned for return duties, like built for them. I think he has Tyreek Hill potential as a returner, except he's bigger/stronger and can shed/break tackles. 

• Like 1

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Punt returns aren't useless. I think it's fair to say that Campbell is not only faster (which is saying something because Hines is FAST), but his 20 yard shuttle, which essentially explains how fast he moves in short bursts, kind of like during a return, was about half a second faster than Hines. That's a huge margin in that drill. You may ultimately be right, but Campbell is better tuned for return duties, like built for them. I think he has Tyreek Hill potential as a returner, except he's bigger/stronger and can shed/break tackles. 

Punt returns are useful I agree. I was referring to kick returns

50 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Campbell returns punts Rogers will most likely be gone.

They just gave Rogers a decent contract.  I'm not sure how much is guaranteed.  He's also a good blocker.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Punt returns are useful I agree. I was referring to kick returns

They need to either restore the kick return to what it was, or just remove it imo. I think they made a change this upcoming season, but can't remember exactly what it was? Something to do with starting on 3rd and however many yards or something? 

12 minutes ago, twfish said:

Yea..... Rogers is not a lock at all. A fan favorite but easily replaceable by the talent currently on the roster

Rogers displayed good return ability last season and contributed 53 receptions. Rogers has improved in each of his three seasons.  He’s no star, but I don’t see him being cut.

Cain is going to have a tough time making the roster IMO. PS could be a real possibility, but I’m betting he’ll be on the PUP for awhile.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sheard I get for the reasons I already listed, but there is no upside to cutting Moore. Hes extremely productive especially in the slot and on a very cheap deal. 

I like Moore a lot.  However, we have a lot of cap space and a lot of CBs who are on pretty cheap deals.  I don't think contracts for our DBs are going to play much of an issue when it comes times to trimming the roster.

We generally keep 10-11 DBs total.  I posted this the other day, but I'll post again:

Safeties (bold are guys I think are locks, italics guys I think are most expendable):

Malik Hooker

Mathias Farley

Clayton Geathers

Derrick Kindred

Rolan Milligan

George Odum

Khari Willis (R)

Corners (bold are guys I think are locks, italics guys I think are most expendable):

Pierre Desir

Quincy Wilson

Jalen Collins

Nate Hairston

Chris Milton

DJ Killings

Kenny Moore II

Marvell Tell (R)

Rock Ya-Sin (R)

Jamal Peters (R)

Chris Rayford (R)

Shak Taylor (R)

I have bolded a total of 6 (2 safeties, 4 CBs).  I bolded Tell, because I think he's versatile enough to play CB or S.  I think ultimately we'll keep 4-5 S, 5-6 CBs (with Wilson and Tell both having ability to play S if needed).

If Farley is back healthy, I think he's a lock at S.  Odum showed he can be a phenom on special teams, and they seem very high on Willis as a rookie.  So I see us potentially having 5 S, leaving 5-6 CBs.

Unless one of the UDFA CB's really surprises in camp, I think the last 1-2 spots after Desir, Wilson, Ya-Sin, and Tell are going to be a battle between Moore II, Hairston, and Collins.

Moore II played very well for us last year, especially in the slot and especially in the playoffs.  Before Hairston rolled his ankle, though, he was our primary slot guy and was playing more than any other player on D (he missed only 1 defensive snap in the first 4 weeks).  Collins has the size Ballard covets at CB, and Hairston has more of the raw physical attributes than Moore II.

I'm rooting for Moore II, but I think it'll come down to the wire to see who our DBs are come opening day.  Whether it's Moore II, Hairston, Collins (or 2 of them) who get cut, they'll be playing on Sunday's this year barring injuries (or in Collins' case, failed drug tests).

This is the first time in a long time where we have this much depth and competition at DB, and it's exciting to know there will be difficult decisions to be made.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Rogers displayed good return ability last season and contributed 53 receptions. Rogers has improved in each of his three seasons.  He’s no star, but I don’t see him being cut.

Cain is going to have a tough time making the roster IMO. PS could be a real possibility, but I’m betting he’ll be on the PUP for awhile.

I'd wager more so on pup. You don't dedicate an offseason series to a guy wit plans to cut him. Just doesnt work that way. He has improved but i wont hold my breath for him

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, twfish said:

I'd wager more so on pup. You don't dedicate an offseason series to a guy wit plans to cut him. Just doesnt work that way. He has improved but i wont hold my breath for him

Unfortunately, only 53 make the team and potentially cutting a 6th Rd pick coming off a ACL tear, well isn’t that painful for the Colts moving forward. 

• Thanks 1

I was a bit surprised Bill Barnwell chose Ward as the "most likely".   With a crowded WR core, I would think one of them is likely to get cut.   I don't really think we have many expendable players with trade value.   

• Thanks 2

Of guys we all expect to be on the roster, I’ve got Nate Hairston, Evan Boehm, Skai Moore, & Zaire Franklin looking like they’re on the outside looking in.  In addition, I can see Chester Rogers, Matthias Farley, and even Jabaal Sheard fighting for their spots (and one or more losing)...

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

Of guys we all expect to be on the roster, I’ve got Nate Hairston, Evan Boehm, Skai Moore, & Zaire Franklin looking like they’re on the outside looking in.  In addition, I can see Chester Rogers, Matthias Farley, and even Jabaal Sheard fighting for their spots (and one or more losing)...

Boehm I doubt is going anywhere. We didn’t notice to much when Kelly was out.

No way is Sheard going anywhere this year. If we didn’t want him anymore he probably has some trade value. I just don’t see it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Boehm I doubt is going anywhere. We didn’t notice to much when Kelly was out.

No way is Sheard going anywhere this year. If we didn’t want him anymore he probably has some trade value. I just don’t see it.

Also, if you see giving Banogu 3rd down DE duties and Houston, Turay, Muhammad, Green, and sometimes Lewis also play DE...well, maybe they don’t want Sheard taking reps from the young ‘uns.  We’re gonna have to make more painful cuts than in years past...

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

For now, Cain is basically the 4th wr on the depth chart so he'd have to have a very poor camp to be cut. Im not completely on the Cain bandwagon either, but I trust the colts from how Ballard raves about him

How is he given the 4th spot? He hasn't done anything.  I'd think he'd be behind both Campbell AND Rogers going in at a  minimum meaning he'd be 5th.  People act like he is Reggie Wayne in his prime.  He's a rookie essentially coming off a major injury with no real game experience.  Even if he WAS going to be the #2 last year (which is supposition on people's part who say so) that was in the void that was our lame WR corps.   It appears Inman isn't getting signed or I'd question whether Cain would already be on the cut line with Pascal and Fountain and whoever else is in camp.  He is going to have to EARN his way into the top safe tier of WRs and we have no idea if he's ready to do that.  I just don't get the blind assumptions on him.  A few weeks in PreSeason is not enough proof of anything.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

Also, if you see giving Banogu 3rd down DE duties and Houston, Turay, Muhammad, Green, and sometimes Lewis also play DE...well, maybe they don’t want Sheard taking reps from the young ‘uns.  We’re gonna have to make more painful cuts than in years past...

If that is the case I would think we would just let Sheard play out his contract. He is a huge leader on that dline. Better make sure the kids are ready to step up if you trade or cut him. We are better off playing it out this year since it’s the last year of his contract.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I like Moore a lot.  However, we have a lot of cap space and a lot of CBs who are on pretty cheap deals.  I don't think contracts for our DBs are going to play much of an issue when it comes times to trimming the roster.

We generally keep 10-11 DBs total.  I posted this the other day, but I'll post again:

Safeties (bold are guys I think are locks, italics guys I think are most expendable):

Malik Hooker

Mathias Farley

Clayton Geathers

Derrick Kindred

Rolan Milligan

George Odum

Khari Willis (R)

Corners (bold are guys I think are locks, italics guys I think are most expendable):

Pierre Desir

Quincy Wilson

Jalen Collins

Nate Hairston

Chris Milton

DJ Killings

Kenny Moore II

Marvell Tell (R)

Rock Ya-Sin (R)

Jamal Peters (R)

Chris Rayford (R)

Shak Taylor (R)

I have bolded a total of 6 (2 safeties, 4 CBs).  I bolded Tell, because I think he's versatile enough to play CB or S.  I think ultimately we'll keep 4-5 S, 5-6 CBs (with Wilson and Tell both having ability to play S if needed).

If Farley is back healthy, I think he's a lock at S.  Odum showed he can be a phenom on special teams, and they seem very high on Willis as a rookie.  So I see us potentially having 5 S, leaving 5-6 CBs.

Unless one of the UDFA CB's really surprises in camp, I think the last 1-2 spots after Desir, Wilson, Ya-Sin, and Tell are going to be a battle between Moore II, Hairston, and Collins.

Moore II played very well for us last year, especially in the slot and especially in the playoffs.  Before Hairston rolled his ankle, though, he was our primary slot guy and was playing more than any other player on D (he missed only 1 defensive snap in the first 4 weeks).  Collins has the size Ballard covets at CB, and Hairston has more of the raw physical attributes than Moore II.

I'm rooting for Moore II, but I think it'll come down to the wire to see who our DBs are come opening day.  Whether it's Moore II, Hairston, Collins (or 2 of them) who get cut, they'll be playing on Sunday's this year barring injuries (or in Collins' case, failed drug tests).

This is the first time in a long time where we have this much depth and competition at DB, and it's exciting to know there will be difficult decisions to be made.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some rookies get cut.  Especially Tell.  I'd be surprised if we didn't keep Moore, he was solid last year and could start if needed and I'd feel confident.  I agree with your Safety picks.  The only question might be Geathers's health.  

Good post Cur!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If that is the case I would think we would just let Sheard play out his contract. He is a huge leader on that dline. Better make sure the kids are ready to step up if you trade or cut him. We are better off playing it out this year since it’s the last year of his contract.

Yeah, it's going to be intense.  I can see both arguments @Archer and yourself.  We'd be bare naked without Sheard with all those young guys, but it might be the call that needs to be made, or they cut a rookie draft pick.  I wouldn't be surprised if 2 rookies on Defense got cut if the competition is truly fair regardless of "status" on the team.  I hope they keep proven talent over future hopeful talent if that is the either/or decision to make.  I think we have a roster capable of making it further in the post season, so I wouldn't want to see us cut a superior player for possible down the road gain just so guys can get reps.  We want winning, not just training.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Milton is ok. He is one of the best gunners in the league. We really didn’t sign him to play CB.

Do you think they'd keep him over a guy like Moore who we may need to start at some point? 

Cain has a much higher upside than Rogers, Chester did good to stick 3 years on the club but the position was one of the weakest on the team. We know what he is which is a 4-5 wr on a team without

wr talent.  I'd go Cain 4 and Johnson or Fountain 5 then 6 depening what Penny Hart brings to the table. If Rogers makes the team we arent nearly as good as most of us and experts think we are.

25 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

How is he given the 4th spot? He hasn't done anything.  I'd think he'd be behind both Campbell AND Rogers going in at a  minimum meaning he'd be 5th.  People act like he is Reggie Wayne in his prime.  He's a rookie essentially coming off a major injury with no real game experience.  Even if he WAS going to be the #2 last year (which is supposition on people's part who say so) that was in the void that was our lame WR corps.   It appears Inman isn't getting signed or I'd question whether Cain would already be on the cut line with Pascal and Fountain and whoever else is in camp.  He is going to have to EARN his way into the top safe tier of WRs and we have no idea if he's ready to do that.  I just don't get the blind assumptions on him.  A few weeks in PreSeason is not enough proof of anything.  

Hold on. you're reading way too much into that. Im saying he could very well end up 4th on the depth chart. I just think from the team's standpoint, rogers could be on the outside looking in.

26 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

How is he given the 4th spot? He hasn't done anything.  I'd think he'd be behind both Campbell AND Rogers going in at a  minimum meaning he'd be 5th.  People act like he is Reggie Wayne in his prime.  He's a rookie essentially coming off a major injury with no real game experience.  

He’s  a camp darling, being seen through Colts blue colored glasses. 

Well stated in your post!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He’s  a camp darling, being seen through Colts blue colored glasses. 

Well stated in your post!

I said I am not on the Cain bandwagon. All I said was the team seems high on him and they currently see him as the 4th wr on the depth chart imo. Again all of this is speculation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Malik Hooker

Mathias Farley

Clayton Geathers

Derrick Kindred

Rolan Milligan

George Odum

Khari Willis (R)

Pierre Desir

Quincy Wilson

Jalen Collins

Nate Hairston

Chris Milton

DJ Killings

Kenny Moore II

Marvell Tell (R)

Rock Ya-Sin (R)

Jamal Peters (R)

Chris Rayford (R)

Shak Taylor (R)

I think you are way, way, WAY over thinking things.

In thus thread alone, in an attempt to cover every base humanly posdible, you’re all over the map.

Youve made several posts in favor of Moore, and now in THIS thread and now in THIS post you’re saying a rookie like Tell, who I love and is one if my favorite picks, he’s a lock, but Moore is not. 

Moore is one of the top slot/Nickel backs in football.   Probably one of the top 4-8 slots in the game.    Moore is likely to get a new contract in the range of 3 years and 21-25 mill.  He’s the 12th starter.   All these corners we drafted and guys like Collins are there so Moore doesn’t have to play outside when someone else gets hurt.   Moore will stay in the slot where he excels.  He’s not going anywhere. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hold on. you're reading way too much into that. Im saying he could very well end up 4th on the depth chart. I just think from the team's standpoint, rogers could be on the outside looking in.

It's not just you CR, it seems to be the majority here act like this guy is some kind of 1st round talent that is clearly top tier on our team.  He's a 6th round prove it level pick who started off positively in practice which is nice and all, but camp heroes are legendary for their failure to make the rosters, and this guy didn't even make it through preseason.   I mean I HOPE he's as good as people think, but I saw enough in Pascal to think he's got a fighting chance to supplant Rogers than I've seen yet from Cain.  And people barely even mention Pascal even as a guy we're going to cut.. he's being treated like he's a UDFA THIS year with no history.  I saw some promising in game in season  performances from him.  I'm not under any illusions that he's a lock to even make the team, but I give him as fair a chance as Fountain or Cain.  

• Like 1

Just now, JPFolks said:

It's not just you CR, it seems to be the majority here act like this guy is some kind of 1st round talent that is clearly top tier on our team.  He's a 6th round prove it level pick who started off positively in practice which is nice and all, but camp heroes are legendary for their failure to make the rosters, and this guy didn't even make it through preseason.   I mean I HOPE he's as good as people think, but I saw enough in Pascal to think he's got a fighting chance to supplant Rogers than I've seen yet from Cain.  And people barely even mention Pascal even as a guy we're going to cut.. he's being treated like he's a UDFA THIS year with no history.  I saw some promising in game in season  performances from him.  I'm not under an illusions that he's a lock to even make the team, but I give him as fair a chance as Fountain or Cain.  

As I mentioned, I am not on the Cain bandwagon. Im basing this on how the team raves about him. Obviously we still need to see what he can do on the field 

I think those that follow college football closely were quite familiar with Cain longggg before he stood out in camp. He helped lead Clemson to the National powerhouse they are and was showcased many times (Some believe him to be better than Mike Williams even), now for those who dont follow college ball I can see how just a strong camp doesnt relate to success in the NFL. but he did it at the highest level in college this was Grambling State's 2nd best wr we are tallking about here.