Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Player most likely to be cut

Myles

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Where did Cain go again? Never mind! :wall:

I understand that he went in the 6th round.  What you seem to not be grasping is the REASON he went in the 6th round was character concerns not talent.  They essentially drafted a second round talent in the 6th round.  From a talent perspective, he has more tools that Rogers.  If it is close, I bet they keep Cain as would I.  He has the potential to start.

We know what Rogers is, a useful depth WR.  He has trouble with separation and not explosive after the catch.  I understand your point that Rogers is the more accomplished veteran.  Cain will have to out perform both Paschal and Rogers to make the roster but the coaching staff and front office seem to be excited about him (Cain).

Benogu, Okereke and Speed replace Franklin, S. Moore and Thomas at linebacker.

Rock and Tell replace Milton and Hairston.

Parris bumps Rogers HOWEVER Rogers actually gets cut for the uber athletic Fountain who took his redshirt year last year.

Cain bumps Pascal.

Patterson bumps Andrews at backup Center.

Barton bumps both Clark and Webb BUT still goes on PS as Clark is replaced by Antonio Garcia on the active roster.

Willis (SS) and Odum (FS) makes Kindred and one of Farley or Geathers expendable - likely Farley.

Ware makes Johnathan Williams expendable and is the new short yardage back (though he's capable of starting if necessary).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I wish more talent always translated to the football field. That would make everyone’s job easier.

I don't understand how you can hold an injury against a guy as lack of production.  If Rogers was setting the world on fire, they would not have signed Funchess nor drafted Campbell.  I would be willing to bet that they keep the most talented 5 WRs on the team.  I think that list includes Cain and Rogers.

22 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The only way he stays is if there is an injury or trade

Right... Understood...

I was just tired of reading the Rogers vs Cain debate, thought Id try changing the subject while also appeasing the sentiment over in the "Chad Kelly" thread that there wasn't enough fuss being made about him not being a high character guy...

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Benogu, Okereke and Speed replace Franklin, S. Moore and Thomas at linebacker.

Rock and Tell replace Milton and Hairston.

Parris bumps Rogers HOWEVER Rogers actually gets cut for the uber athletic Fountain who took his redshirt year last year.

Cain bumps Pascal.

Patterson bumps Andrews at backup Center.

Barton bumps both Clark and Webb BUT still goes on PS as Clark is replaced by Antonio Garcia on the active roster.

Willis (SS) and Odum (FS) makes Kindred and one of Farley or Geathers expendable - likely Farley.

Ware makes Johnathan Williams expendable and is the new short yardage back (though he's capable of starting if necessary).

Don't forget about Boehm.  I think he is our backup center and he looked good last year.  Considering the OL additions I think Clark and Haag are the most vulnerable.  Neither are Ballard guys.  I think Gaethers needs a strong camp and preseason. He can't afford to miss any time.  The safety competition is going to be fierce. 

Is someone debating that HBCU arent low level of competition compared to ACC because Walter Payton and Jerry Rice beat the odds ?  I'm sure we dont want to look at HOF players and see what percentage come from HBCU compared to D1 and then what the % is over the last 10 years of induction. Furthermore Payton wasnt recruited by any SEC schools due to most not recruiting black players openly and he was player of the year and All American, Rice set the NCAA record for catches,yards and tds.   Rogers well he was the 2nd to 3rd best wr on his own Grambling team (He was no Chad Williams who was their lead wr across the board).

Time will tell what wrs make the squad and which ones dont and this thread is sure to be revisited.....

2 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

True but judging by the coaching staff and front office comments, they hold Cain in greater esteem than you do.  Cain wasn't able to prove anything because he was hurt, that is different than not producing.  Cain has more natural talent but he most certainly will have to outperform the others with better track records but if it is close, they will keep the guy with more talent which is Cain.

I think you have a reasonable take on this.  I wonder though, is he REALLY the most naturally talented of all the rest of those guys?  Maybe he is, but I don't think it is automatic.  Fountain's stats (i.e. measurables) are pretty good.  Their speed is nearly the same etc.  I don't know all of their college stats, and though Cain played for the highest profile school, Darius Leonard didn't even play for a Major University and it didn't matter.  So all these arguments that he's superior because he played at Clemson doesn't mean that much in terms of athleticism.  People wash out of the NFL from major programs every year.  Incredibly athletic guys do as well.  So once again, where's the evidence? And even if it is true, does it matter until he gets on the field to demonstrate? Every type of college level superpowers have washed out badly on the field in the NFL.  We have proof that some of these guys can play, and some small evidence that at least one of them the jury is out.  Obviously by the end of the 4th preseason game, they will set the actual pecking order.  I don't believe for a second that compliments when asked about a specific guy, which is likely the context for ANY comments made by the coaches (like "hey coach, how is Cain's rehab going, will he be ready for the season?"  followed by "coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak" as the answer.  "Next question?"  Of course most aren't asking about Fountain or Pascal etc.  in the first place for them to have a chance to talk up those guys.  

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

Absolutely, as Cain is not some high draft pick that can’t easily be cut, because a UDFA (Rogers) with 3 threes years experience, is currently a better option to be on the 53 man roster than Cain IMO. 

Cain will only be cut if he gets hurt again. He is too talented  to cut if he is healthy. He is like a moss type receiver  that can go up and get the football 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Campbell returns punts Rogers will most likely be gone.

Nah. 

Rogers was not only our returner, he shifted to Z to back up TY, and had the second most WR yards on the team. Unless you want to go without a back up at both Z and slot, Rogers will stick. The only way I see Rogers gone is if an UDFA or tryout z/slot type sticks (or is good enough to hold on the practice squad). At WR, you're biggest risk for cuts is as X right now. 

11 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I say AV...we won't need field goals this year and we can just go for 2 after each touchdown. :sarcasm:

A tough call, but I'm guessing one of the WRs, since Cain should be back and we drafted Campbell.

I'll go with Rogers or Fountain.

Haha id say it will be Sanchez because we won’t be punting anymore!

9 hours ago, JPFolks said:

How is he given the 4th spot? He hasn't done anything.  I'd think he'd be behind both Campbell AND Rogers going in at a  minimum meaning he'd be 5th.  People act like he is Reggie Wayne in his prime.  He's a rookie essentially coming off a major injury with no real game experience.  Even if he WAS going to be the #2 last year (which is supposition on people's part who say so) that was in the void that was our lame WR corps.   It appears Inman isn't getting signed or I'd question whether Cain would already be on the cut line with Pascal and Fountain and whoever else is in camp.  He is going to have to EARN his way into the top safe tier of WRs and we have no idea if he's ready to do that.  I just don't get the blind assumptions on him.  A few weeks in PreSeason is not enough proof of anything.  

Cain has done just as much in the NFL as Campbell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Rogers plays his role well. Not everyone is going to be a pro bowler. Once Rogers learned his role last year he was pretty good at what he was asked to do.

Rogers is the best at celebrating after catching his first catch of the game in the 3rd quarter when they are down 14 pts.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Will not happen, he was the most exciting WR we had in preseason before injury. ton of talent there. 

I don't think he'll be cut either. But if he was, many would be disappointed.

I kinda think though his brother Abel would enjoy it.

3 hours ago, Legend said:

Maurice Fountain and Nate Hairston.

Longshot for Fountain to make the 6, but I could easily see him on the practice squad again and given another year of development. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him bump Pascal if all the off season training went well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think you have a reasonable take on this.  I wonder though, is he REALLY the most naturally talented of all the rest of those guys?  Maybe he is, but I don't think it is automatic.  Fountain's stats (i.e. measurables) are pretty good.  Their speed is nearly the same etc.  I don't know all of their college stats, and though Cain played for the highest profile school, Darius Leonard didn't even play for a Major University and it didn't matter.  So all these arguments that he's superior because he played at Clemson doesn't mean that much in terms of athleticism.  People wash out of the NFL from major programs every year.  Incredibly athletic guys do as well.  So once again, where's the evidence? And even if it is true, does it matter until he gets on the field to demonstrate? Every type of college level superpowers have washed out badly on the field in the NFL.  We have proof that some of these guys can play, and some small evidence that at least one of them the jury is out.  Obviously by the end of the 4th preseason game, they will set the actual pecking order.  I don't believe for a second that compliments when asked about a specific guy, which is likely the context for ANY comments made by the coaches (like "hey coach, how is Cain's rehab going, will he be ready for the season?"  followed by "coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak" as the answer.  "Next question?"  Of course most aren't asking about Fountain or Pascal etc.  in the first place for them to have a chance to talk up those guys.  

Yep, everything you said is true.  I just think that you have to evaluate Cain a little differently due to injury.  But he might not recover to his pre injury traits or he might not beat an established vet out.  I think Cain has more potential but potential can get you fired.

I'm assuming Cain will have earned it and that his presence on the team makes the Colts a better roster, IMO.

Let's cut Hilton so we can keep both Cain and Rogers!  End of debate...LOL.

I know whoever gets cut, it will be a tough decision.  However, now that we have upgraded the entire roster from 2-3 years ago, this is what will be happening each year.  Good players will get cut and picked up by other teams.

Ballard said that was an indicator that you're doing things right.  When you cut someone and they get claimed by another team right away, you know they're a good player.

2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I know whoever gets cut, it will be a tough decision.  However, now that we have upgraded the entire roster from 2-3 years ago, this is what will be happening each year.  Good players will get cut and picked up by other teams.

Ballard said that was an indicator that you're doing things right.  When you cut someone and they get claimed by another team right away, you know they're a good player.

WR has been my focus in this discussion but you are right.  There are several other areas where the cuts will be tough.  I think S, LB, DL, OL will be exposing some pretty good players to the street.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Sometimes it's an indicator that you messed up.

Jeff Saturday was cut by the Ravens before coming to the Colts.

Kurt Warner was cut by a couple teams.

Wes Welker was cut by San Diego.

James Harrison was cut by a couple teams.  

Johnny Unitas was cut by the Pittsburgh Steelers back in 1954. 

8 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

WR has been my focus in this discussion but you are right.  There are several other areas where the cuts will be tough.  I think S, LB, DL, OL will be exposing some pretty good players to the street.

I think Skai Moore may be gone.

Kind of a bummer because I was pulling for the guy.   He's got a nose for the ball.

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Don't forget about Boehm.  I think he is our backup center and he looked good last year.  Considering the OL additions I think Clark and Haag are the most vulnerable.  Neither are Ballard guys.  I think Gaethers needs a strong camp and preseason. He can't afford to miss any time.  The safety competition is going to be fierce. 

Clark is as good as gone he was never that great anyway.

7 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

You're right.  We see the passionate arguments by many (myself included) about players each year  including (insert favorite camp body here) who unexpectedly, to their fans, get cut.   But imagine the exploding heads when someone we all take for granted as part of our locks to make the team gets cut.  We haven't had much of that to date going back many many years.  We may start seeing some of that this year.  We're so spoiled by Ballard already (keeping EVERY pick from last year and having all the healthy guys start down to Round 7!!!! is INSANE).  This might be the year when one of our favorites gets CRUSHED.   But we'll hopefully be the better team for it.  

On 4/30/2019 at 3:12 PM, JPFolks said:

In response to the bolded line: You just proved our point.  He was all those things you stated, but he came here and EARNED a spot and significant playing time.  Cain hasn't done any of that.  

So having a great camp doesn't earn you a roster spot?

Deon Cain didn't get cut because he is a very high pick (6th round) and not because he had a great camp??

I'm confused

On 4/30/2019 at 2:09 PM, MPStack said:

He’s  a camp darling, being seen through Colts blue colored glasses. 

Well stated in your post!

Favoring a Colts player over another Colts player isn't seeing things through Colts glasses, because both players are equally Colts