Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Player most likely to be cut

Myles

There isn't much in the way of fluff on Indy's roster, given that the Colts didn't spend much in free agency and will continue to rely on the drafts of general manager Chris Ballard. After they kept Margus Hunt and used a second-round pick on an edge rusher by drafting TCU's Ben Banogu, I wonder if the Colts might not have room for Ward, who racked up three sacks in six games last season.

Indianapolis Colts

Jihad Ward, DL

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26632732/barnwell-every-nfl-team-most-likely-candidate-post-draft-trade-cut

26 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Why cut a DT just because you drafted a DE/LB?

Well because....

When you look at...

You're right that makes very little sense.

I think with drafting a CB at 34 and then a DE and 46 and a WR at 59, Luke Rhodes job as a long snapper may be in jeopardy.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Kinda hard to judge this early, but I do have a few guesses

Rogers- Unfortunately for Rogers, I think the numbers game has caught up to him because Hilton Funchess and Campbell are locks and the colts are really high on Cain and Pascal so unless we keep 6 wrs, I don't see how Rogers makes the team. 

Travis- This is more about competition with Hengles, but also because Travis hasn't done anything since his one break out game vs the broncos two years ago.

Mohammad- Nothing against mohammad. He was good last year, but unless he can beat out green, I can't see how he fits in the rotation. 

Clark-Not sure Clark is better then Barton, but I find it hard to believe Clark will survive another TC.

Sheard- Now I am not advocating for the colts to cut him, but dont be surprised if we do before June 1st. Hes in the last year of his contract and we can save 8 mil by cutting him. If the colts feel comfortable with the young rushers, I can see them doing this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Ill throw Matthew Adams, Zaire Franklin and possibly Skai Moore. Seeing how we drafted 2 MLB atleast 2 will go. I hope Hairston puts it all back together because he was looking good in the slot his rookie year

Unless Hairston beats out Collins, hes getting cut. Desir Ya-sin Wilson and Moore are locks and the colts want to work Tell at Corner

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Unless Hairston beats out Collins, hes getting cut. Desir Ya-sin Wilson and Moore are locks and the colts want to work Tell at Corner

Collins is a guy I keep forgetting about. Its weird having corner depth after not having it for so long.

Separate note ill go out and say i doubt fountain will be cut. We drafted him knowing he was incredibly raw and would need time to practice and develop. I give him another year albeit may be on practice squad again

• Like 1

Ballard spoke very highly of Ward in his post-draft press conference... so I doubt it.

Here are a few I think are on hotter seats:

1) Josh Andrews -- we brought back Boehm and drafted Javon Patterson... so we have 2 centers behind Kelly aside from Andrews and Haeg and Nelson can both play C if needed.

2) Krishawn Hogan/Jordan Veasy -- we've got a lot of WRs on the roster right now and these 2 are the most expendable, IMO

3) Ross Travis/Gabe Holmes -- the signing of Hentges as a UDFA makes both of these 4 year TE's who have done little in terms of production in their career expendable

4) De'Ondre Wesley/J'Marcus Webb/Antonio Garcia -- Webb is on the wrong side of 30 coming off an injury, and I get the feeling Barton who we drafted can replace either of the other 2.  

5) William Poehls -- Don't see him as much more than a camp body at this point.

6) Anthony Winbush/Carrol Phillips -- same as Poehls

7) DJ Killings/Chris Milton -- I think these guys are both more expendable than Hairston or anyone else we have on the roster at CB

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Collins is a guy I keep forgetting about. Its weird having corner depth after not having it for so long.

Separate note ill go out and say i doubt fountain will be cut. We drafted him knowing he was incredibly raw and would need time to practice and develop. I give him another year albeit may be on practice squad again

Its weird to have depth period. Its a hard time imaging the colts have stalwarts especially on defense. Fountain seems to be working hard in the off-season from the videos Ive seen of him, but mostly likely going to PS  

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

Ill throw Matthew Adams, Zaire Franklin and possibly Skai Moore. Seeing how we drafted 2 MLB atleast 2 will go. I hope Hairston puts it all back together because he was looking good in the slot his rookie year

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hairston played every defensive snap except for one during the first 4 weeks of last year.  He rolled his ankle and his playing time went down drastically after that....  He didn't miss any significant time on the IR or anything due to the ankle, but I cannot figure out if his playing time decreased because he was a step slow due to a banged up ankle, or if the coaches liked working Moore and others into the D based on their skill set.

I'm thinking the ankle had to have something to do with it.  If he comes back fully healthy after this off-season, I think he can be a real asset to our secondary (perhaps more so than Kenny Moore).  

I know everyone likes Moore a lot, but he is by far our smallest CB and we all know Ballard and Co. like big DBs.  

It'll be interesting, but like Ballard said "You know you're doing it right when the guys you're cutting are playing on other teams during the season."  Finally, we have competition in the defensive backfield, and it's likely several of the players we wind up cutting there will find their way onto another team.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

Hairston played every defensive snap except for one during the first 4 weeks of last year.  He rolled his ankle and his playing time went down drastically after that....  He didn't miss any significant time on the IR or anything due to the ankle, but I cannot figure out if his playing time decreased because he was a step slow due to a banged up ankle, or if the coaches liked working Moore and others into the D based on their skill set.

I'm thinking the ankle had to have something to do with it.  If he comes back fully healthy after this off-season, I think he can be a real asset to our secondary (perhaps more so than Kenny Moore).  

I know everyone likes Moore a lot, but he is by far our smallest CB and we all know Ballard and Co. like big DBs.  

It'll be interesting, but like Ballard said "You know you're doing it right when the guys you're cutting are playing on other teams during the season."  Finally, we have competition in the defensive backfield, and it's likely several of the players we wind up cutting there will find their way onto another team.

I would argue Moore had just as much impact for our defense as Leonard especially in the playoffs. Regardless if Hairston makes the team or not, its not impacting Moore's starter status 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Adams will be fighting for his life, Rogers is probably already cut, I think if Cain shows any kind of life that dude (Rogers) is gone, and likely a DB. Gonna be a battle. 

I think Adams is safe. He was really good on STs and even got some play time at SAM. Franklin and Skai are in more jeopardy 

Gonna be interesting. How much better did ST get after that draft!? Campbell to return kicks, and several athletic guys that should be missiles in coverage!

Much better. I just hope Campbell can add a new dimension to our return game.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Much better. I just hope Campbell can add a new dimension to our return game.

Well he was named 3rd Team All Big-Ten his Sophomore year as a kick returner, and averaged 36.6 per return his Junior year...not to mention averaging over 9 YPC on his 23 carries. He's a monster in the open field, probably by far his best attribute (along with speed).

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

A  6th Rd camp standout that got hurt. I can see it happening. Especially with Funchess and Campbell on the roster. 

For now, Cain is basically the 4th wr on the depth chart so he'd have to have a very poor camp to be cut. Im not completely on the Cain bandwagon either, but I trust the colts from how Ballard raves about him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I would argue Moore had just as much impact for our defense as Leonard especially in the playoffs. Regardless if Hairston makes the team or not, its not impacting Moore's starter status 

Moore did play very well in the playoffs.  I think the coaches and FO really like him... however, as far as 'natural' talent goes, I think we have several CB's who are better than him.  He seems to outwork others and plays very hard and smart... but if we had a major 'surprise cut,' I think it'd be him or Sheard on D.

• Sad 1

Well he was named 3rd Team All Big-Ten his Sophomore year as a kick returner, and averaged 36.6 per return his Junior year...not to mention averaging over 9 YPC on his 23 carries. He's a monster in the open field, probably by far his best attribute (along with speed).

Different game. Hines was really good at returns in college too and that didn't work out. Regardless, with the number of touchbacks, returns are basically useless. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

A  6th Rd camp standout that got hurt. I can see it happening. Especially with Funchess and Campbell on the roster. 

I'd be blown away if that happened, especially with several seemingly lesser potentialed guys under him. Guy's ceiling is pretty high, he was a 5* going into Clemson, and unfortunately he went from Deshaun Watson to Kelly Bryant his senior year, or he may have been a 1st or 2nd round guy. There's probably 10-12 guys, maybe more, I'd cut before him. Heck, 3 are WRs. 

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

Moore did play very well in the playoffs.  I think the coaches and FO really like him... however, as far as 'natural' talent goes, I think we have several CB's who are better than him.  He seems to outwork others and plays very hard and smart... but if we had a major 'surprise cut,' I think it'd be him or Sheard on D.

Sheard I get for the reasons I already listed, but there is no upside to cutting Moore. Hes extremely productive especially in the slot and on a very cheap deal. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

For now, Cain is basically the 4th wr on the depth chart so he'd have a very poor camp. Im not completely on the Cain bandwagon either, but I trust the colts from how Ballard raves about him

I think 4th is generous.  

Hilton 

Funches

Campbell

Rogers

These four are locks. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.  A lot I guess depens on how healthy he is early. 

My choices are any RB not named Mack, Wilkins, Hines are in danger. Including recently signed Ware lol.

Also Skai Moore is a candidate....and anyone who is a marginal player who makes a million or two above the minimum. 

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think 4th is generous.  

Hilton 

Funches

Campbell

Rogers

These four are locks. 

Yea..... Rogers is not a lock at all. A fan favorite but easily replaceable by the talent currently on the roster

• Like 5