Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Basically we could have had Tevin Coleman

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Sorry, but the Colts aren't going to go FA for a running back. I DO expect them to pick one up late in the draft. A short yardage, good blocking, good hands type of RB. 

Apparently they are since Jay  Ajayi is coming in for a visit.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Coleman got his chance to be RB1 last year when Freeman went down and he struggled. He was even benched down the stretch last year for something called an Ito Smith. He's essentially a lesser version of Mack. If you're going to add a RB it should be one that adds something different.

He wasn't going to cost near RB1 money...so why does that matter? 

Funchess was completely phased out of CAR's offense last season...and the Colts paid him like a borderline WR1. So who cares if Coleman had to split carries with another RB...it's what he was going to do where ever he would have gone.

And I don't know how he's a lesser version of Mack. Coleman actually had a higher YPC...a higher YPR...more receiving yards and more all-purpose yards on less touches. 

He runs better between the tackles and makes plays in the passing game. How is that not something different from what the Colts currently have? He and Mack would have been a great duo splitting 25-30 touches/game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Funchess was completely phased out of CAR's offense last season...and the Colts paid him like a borderline WR1. So who cares if Coleman had to split carries with another RB...it's what he was going to do where ever he would have gone.

And I don't know how he's a lesser version of Mack. Coleman actually had a higher YPC...a higher YPR...more receiving yards and more all-purpose yards on less touches. 

He runs better between the tackles and makes plays in the passing game. How is that not something different from what the Colts currently have? He and Mack would have been a great duo splitting 25-30 touches/game.

He's a lesser version of Mack because he proved he couldn't handle the full workload thus why he saw fewer and fewer reps as the season went on.

He and Mack are the same style one cut, speed rusher. Sure, they could have been a tandem but Coleman landed in a great spot with his former coach in Kyle Shanahan where he'll be part of a 3 man platoon with McKinnon and Breida.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He's a lesser version of Mack because he proved he couldn't handle the full workload thus why he saw fewer and fewer reps as the season went on.

He and Mack are the same style one cut, speed rusher. Sure, they could have been a tandem but Coleman landed in a great spot with his former coach in Kyle Shanahan where he'll be part of a 3 man platoon with McKinnon and Breida.

Mack hasn't really proven he can either...to be fair. He and Mack sharing duties keep both fresh.

Yeah...admittedly I am a Shanahan fan. That SF RB group is going to be interesting to watch. Breida, McKinnon and Wilson...and now Coleman. Wilson is probably the odd man out at this point.

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's very clear it's all about the money.  Someone posted Ajai already has had THREE ACL injuries.  Is that true?  He should have signed Gore for 2m. like the Bills did.  That would have gotten us a cheap RB for the goal line.  At least he's durable.  

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Mack hasn't really proven he can either...to be fair. He and Mack sharing duties keep both fresh.

Yeah...admittedly I am a Shanahan fan. That SF RB group is going to be interesting to watch. Breida, McKinnon and Wilson...and now Coleman. Wilson is probably the odd man out at this point.

I'm with you on Mack being uncertain but Ballard and Reich seem pretty adamant that he can be the bell cow and Hines the receiving back. I think the Ajayi vist is mostly about the Reich connection and if healthy he adds an element that none of the other 3 guys have, short yardage power running.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He and Mack are the same style one cut, speed rusher.

This.......

We need a different style RB, not a very similar type to what we already have

Hines and Jordan are good about spelling Mack

We need a bruiser at the last spot

When its snowing in New England, and its 4th and 1, and we are down by 4 on the Pats 10 yard line.......    We need a yard

We don't have THAT player on this roster

A BIG BRUISER to fill out the stable  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

This.......

We need a different style RB, not a very similar type to what we already have

Hines and Jordan are good about spelling Mack

We need a bruiser at the last spot

When its snowing in New England, and its 4th and 1, and we are down by 4 on the Pats 10 yard line.......    We need a yard

We don't have THAT player on this roster

A BIG BRUISER to fill out the stable  

Gore could have filled that role.  He's durable and a tough inside runner.  Bills got him for 2m.  The price should have been right for Ballard.  

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It's very clear it's all about the money.  Someone posted Ajai already has had THREE ACL injuries.  Is that true?  He should have signed Gore for 2m. like the Bills did.  That would have gotten us a cheap RB for the goal line.  At least he's durable.  

Darn, what to do with our 9 draft picks? I mean we do get to do that also.

Has Mack played a full 16 game season yet? If he goes down, do we think there is anyone on the roster that can fill in close to 70-80% of what Mack can give? I think the answer is no to both these questions.

I think I rest my case for a quality RB signing based on the above 2 facts. Pass protection is always the most difficult one for a back coming out of college. So I am not so sure a back from college, most likely drafted on Day 3,  will give us a high level of production, even if he has the same qualities as Mack in college. So, yes, a FA back is needed.

I am not one to bash Ballard, but just making my case above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Gore could have filled that role.  He's durable and a tough inside runner.  Bills got him for 2m.  The price should have been right for Ballard.  

I like Gore, but think we need someone at that role that can be here for a few years

Gore has MAYBE 1 or 2 years left, if that 

It also is against the grain for Ballard to add an aging Vet, unless its an urgent role

(Which I dont see)

Personally I think we use one of the 4th or 5ths (6th?)to find that big RB

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Has Mack played a full 16 game season yet? If he goes down, do we think there is anyone on the roster that can fill in close to 70-80% of what Mack can give? I think the answer is no to both these questions.

I think I rest my case for a quality RB signing based on the above 2 facts. Pass protection is always the most difficult one for a back coming out of college. So I am not so sure a back from college, most likely drafted on Day 3,  will give us a high level of production, even if he has the same qualities as Mack in college. So, yes, a FA back is needed.

Exactly!!!

That's why it's a good thing to have 2 RB's with similar skill sets. If one goes down you have the other.

Then you can get your power back for short yardage situations. And they can be acquired reasonably for a cost conscious team like the colts.

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think I'm a bigger Wilkins fan than most here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think I'm a bigger Wilkins fan than most here.

His YPC is not close to Mack’s, if I’m not mistaken, and even when he’s done decent, he doesn’t get more carries, has to be a reason for that. Maybe this year, he’ll be playing more and thinking less this year and be more effective. However, the very nature of the position demands a little more attention, so yes, I’m not as big a fan of Wilkins as you are, to sit back and think we’ve enough for that position.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

His YPC is not close to Mack’s, if I’m not mistaken, and even when he’s done decent, he doesn’t get more carries, has to be a reason for that. Maybe this year, he’ll be playing more and thinking less this year and be more effective. However, the very nature of the position demands a little more attention, so yes, I’m not as big a fan of Wilkins as you are, to sit back and think we’ve enough for that position.

His YPC is 5.6, Mack's is 4.7. Mostly because of a couple breakaway carries; when he was more involved earlier in the season, he wasn't producing effectively.

I think his issue is ball security, and I assume that's been a major priority for him since the season ended.

But my thinking is that he was a rookie, and so he struggled in some aspects. But I look at his traits and what I think he's capable of, and I see a well rounded back who can perform in all aspects.

I also don't necessarily think we're set at RB, but I don't see it as a high priority, especially in FA. And part of that is because I think Wilkins can fill in if Mack is out of commission, as a runner and as a pass protector.

15 hours ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Wrong. I am a huge supporter of Chris Ballard. I just would like to know what he is doing Right now. Most money in FA and have 3 signings. Funchess, who I like, desir, who I like, and Milton, who can't cover anyone but is a special teams player. Still have what 80+ million left....

Don't forget the three backups he tendered for another $3M a piece. It goes quick.

18 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’d explain how ridiculous this post is, but I don’t think I can do a better job than that so I will just let it ring it’s own bell. 

We could've had a beast RB in Mark Ingram 3yr/$15M. But we got Funchess 1yr/$10-13M. Even Michael Irving of NFL network laughed and said WRs can get $10-13M for catching less than 700 yrds and 4 TDs. Or Coleman for 2yr/$10M. 

If the Colts didnt have money then ok. But if you are justifying not spending for Landon Collins ($84M), then why sign Funchess for 1yr/$10M-13M? go ahead and sound ridiculous!

"Oh I dont want to spend alot of money on a Ferrari ($200k) But ill buy a Nissan for ($150k)"

But you know you could have gotten a BMW type of RB Ingram for ($120k) better yet the price you paid for that Nissan, you could have gotten two years worth for the same or less.

Who's ridiculous now? Go ahead. You have the floor to insult because that's all you can do. But dont insult me.

Oh and if we aren't talking about money, Desean Jackson was had for a 7th round pick. A Po Bowler for a 7th. ijs. No money involved so if we want to keep looking at zeros you could've still been able to do so.

13 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

We could've had a beast RB in Mark Ingram 3yr/$15M. But we got Funchess 1yr/$10-13M. Even Michael Irving of NFL network laughed and said WRs can get $10-13M for catching less than 700 yrds and 4 TDs. Or Coleman for 2yr/$10M. 

If the Colts didnt have money then ok. But if you are justifying not spending for Landon Collins ($84M), then why sign Funchess for 1yr/$10M-13M? go ahead and sound ridiculous!

"Oh I dont want to spend alot of money on a Ferrari ($200k) But ill buy a Nissan for ($150k)"

But you know you could have gotten a BMW type of RB Ingram for ($120k) better yet the price you paid for that Nissan, you could have gotten two years worth for the same or less.

Who's ridiculous now? Go ahead. You have the floor to insult because that's all you can do. But dont insult me.

Oh and if we aren't talking about money, Desean Jackson was had for a 7th round pick. A Po Bowler for a 7th. ijs. No money involved so if we want to keep looking at zeros you could've still been able to do so.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c8a7f13584b763251

Forgive me if I trust Ballard over you. He kinda maybe did a little bit of a fraction of a good job last year. 

He gets the benefit of the doubt. You’ve still gotta earn yours. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Ballard signing Funchess has nothing to do with Coleman.

We don't need a RB near as much as a WR.

10 minutes ago, rayski said:

I'm wondering how many years some fan needs to trust Ballard and his office to do their thing.

NFL IS NOT MADDEN.

It's not about the fan thinking he/she is smarter, it's about wondering if Ballard is smarter than 31 other GM's. After seeing what the browns and other teams have done building contending teams around young QB's, I don't blame people for questioning Ballard's method.

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's not about the fan thinking he/she is smarter, it's about wondering if Ballard is smarter than 31 other GM's. After seeing what the browns and other teams have done building contending teams around young QB's, I don't blame people for questioning Ballard's method.

The history of GMs stock piling high dollar free agents and making them contenders is pretty low. The Browns could be the exception but only time will tell.

Example: As bad as it kills me to say this but Belichick does not sign high dollar free agents and matter of fact trades away players that become high dollar.

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How well has that worked in the past? 

Need a lifeline? Phone a friend! Let’s call the 2009 Philadelphia “Dream Team” Eagles...

Their number is 115-1434

Which happens to be their record, and the score of their Wild Card loss to Dallas. 

*ring ring*

36 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

So then close this entire site with that answer. This is pointless. I have never used a meme in my life. Those are for challenged people. You so special babyy!

Someone get him a tissue. He’s foaming at the mouth here. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I dont hate Gore.....

When he was in his prime, you are RIGHT...... he could have filled that role

He isnt in his prime....... 

Gore may not make it through training camp

This is his third team in three years......... there is a message here

There is a reason he was dropped 

A 4th ot 5th round RB would cost less than a 3rd of Gores contract

AND..... be developed for more, and maybe a long term solution

In DOG YEARS....... he is 480 years old :)

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The history of GMs stock piling high dollar free agents and making them contenders is pretty low. The Browns could be the exception but only time will tell.

Example: As bad as it kills me to say this but Belichick does not sign high dollar free agents and matter of fact trades away players that become high dollar.

This.....

The numbers say that 3 out of 4 "big spenders" in FA

Dont even make the playoffs, let alone winning in playoffs

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Absolutely understand the frustration but also understand our philosophy. We will be adding free agents to the team once we have a place for them. Signing overpriced free agents for the sake of it won't contribute to our locker room/culture and that's the most important piece for Ballard. You can't have unproven/inconsistent guys like Preston Smith/Zadarius Smith coming in for 10-12 million a year when the only two guys on our roster getting more than 9 mill are Luck and TY. Also not every free agent will fit our team/scheme/culture just because they were semi successful somewhere else.

Any teams come to mind that won consistently through free agency from the past 20 years??? I personally think the Browns will collapse under the pressure. 

1 minute ago, rayski said:

Absolutely understand the frustration but also understand our philosophy. We will be adding free agents to the team once we have a place for them. Signing overpriced free agents for the sake of it won't contribute to our locker room/culture and that's the most important piece for Ballard. You can't have unproven/inconsistent guys like Preston Smith/Zadarius Smith coming in for 10-12 million a year when the only two guys on our roster getting more than 9 mill are Luck and TY. Also not every free agent will fit our team/scheme/culture just because they were semi successful somewhere else.

Any teams come to mind that won consistently through free agency from the past 20 years??? I personally think the Browns will collapse under the pressure. 

Teams generally don't win with FA because they'd rather receive high compensatory picks instead. However, we are in the position this year where that wasn't an issue. So I'm a bit disappointed because of that reason. The next few years that will be the case.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Teams generally don't win with FA because they'd rather receive high compensatory picks instead. However, we are in the position this year where that wasn't an issue. So I'm a bit disappointed because of that reason. The next few years that will be the case.

We were completely destroyed by Kansas City.

We are not a couple of high dollar free agents away IMO.