Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in "strong pursuit" of Tyrell Williams

This thread quickly turned into an out of control raging brush fire.   Not a complaints,  just an observation.    Posts were being made fast and furious.     I'm not sure many people were even reading many of the posts that were made.

So, with that a back drop...      I'm going to re-post,  cutting and pasting something I got from ESPN....   read this,  and you'll quickly understand why Tyrell Williams is going to get PAID.    Maybe by us,  maybe not.    Ballard only went so far with both Jenson and Norwood last year and then stopped.

Maybe he'll do the same this year.     Maybe we won't be the highest bidder.    But we will offer good money.

Here's the passage....    note, this is a 3-year sample size.   That's considerable.

He might not be a household name, but since the start of the 2016 season, Williams has averaged more yards per reception (15.9) than all but six pass-catchers in the NFL (minimum 43 catches). He might be the best big (6-foot-4) deep threat approaching the market.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This thread quickly turned into an out of control raging brush fire.   Not a complaints,  just an observation.    Posts were being made fast and furious.     I'm not sure many people were even reading many of the posts that were made.

So, with that a back drop...      I'm going to re-post,  cutting and pasting something I got from ESPN....   read this,  and you'll quickly understand why Tyrell Williams is going to get PAID.    Maybe by us,  maybe not.    Ballard only went so far with both Jenson and Norwood last year and then stopped.

Maybe he'll do the same this year.     Maybe we won't be the highest bidder.    But we will offer good money.

Here's the passage....    note, this is a 3-year sample size.   That's considerable.

He might not be a household name, but since the start of the 2016 season, Williams has averaged more yards per reception (15.9) than all but six pass-catchers in the NFL (minimum 43 catches). He might be the best big (6-foot-4) deep threat approaching the market.

I can easily see why we would be going after him hard.  I just read on a Raiders site that they are also going after him and they believe he will get the 12m number.  Hopefully we win out.  That number wouldn't scare me away. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I completely agree with you that Williams is going to get $PAID$ this year.  I think you're right that he won't even call back any team that starts with an offer under $10mil/yr.

That being said, I think many people are worried that this is a relatively weak year for WRs in free agency.  Williams "might be the best" NOT because he displays overwhelming talent, but because there is a lack of talent in his competition.  This leads to the very real possibility of him being overpaid.  Just because it will take $13mil/yr to sign him does not mean that he will produce on the same level as other WRs making $13mil/yr.  That is especially worrisome when there are plenty of prospects in this year's draft with similar play styles and possibly more upside.  I will not be upset or surprised if Ballard sets an upper limit on his offer no matter how much Reich and Siriani bang the table for this guy.  They both wanted Inman, but Ballard chose not to sign him until it was obvious our lack of WR talent was holding back the team.

THAT being said, I would entirely be on board if the brain trust signs this man.  I still remember Luck throwing to AJ Green in the 2013 Pro Bowl, and I think someone with the size of Williams could give us that kind of weapon.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

What if he was 5'11" instead of 6'4"?

I don't really understand your intentions here.  It's already well known that bigger WRs have an advantage IF ALL OTHER VARIABLES ARE EQUAL.  If everything else stays the same, but we take away one of his strengths, his value is obviously going to decline.

What if he was 7'4" and could palm a Volkswagen?

Just now, That Guy said:

I don't really understand your intentions here.  It's already well known that bigger WRs have an advantage IF ALL OTHER VARIABLES ARE EQUAL.  If everything else stays the same, but we take away one of his strengths, his value is obviously going to decline.

That's the point. Let's talk about the other variables. It seems like the draw is his size more than anything else. Let's talk about his play.

And as we know, bigger WRs don't have an advantage just because they're bigger. If they aren't good receivers, their size almost doesn't matter.

31 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I completely agree with you that Williams is going to get $PAID$ this year.  I think you're right that he won't even call back any team that starts with an offer under $10mil/yr.

That being said, I think many people are worried that this is a relatively weak year for WRs in free agency.  Williams "might be the best" NOT because he displays overwhelming talent, but because there is a lack of talent in his competition.  This leads to the very real possibility of him being overpaid.  Just because it will take $13mil/yr to sign him does not mean that he will produce on the same level as other WRs making $13mil/yr.  That is especially worrisome when there are plenty of prospects in this year's draft with similar play styles and possibly more upside.  I will not be upset or surprised if Ballard sets an upper limit on his offer no matter how much Reich and Siriani bang the table for this guy.  They both wanted Inman, but Ballard chose not to sign him until it was obvious our lack of WR talent was holding back the team.

THAT being said, I would entirely be on board if the brain trust signs this man.  I still remember Luck throwing to AJ Green in the 2013 Pro Bowl, and I think someone with the size of Williams could give us that kind of weapon.

All I can say....   is he's got a 3-year window of stats.

And Reich and Siriani know him well.

And Ballard has a demonstrated history of offering good money,  but not going higher than what they believe the player is worth.     So, if TW is looking for every last dollar,  then he likely won't be a Colt.     But if we're offering, say $11 Mill and someone else is offering $12,  it may come down to other factors...    which city?    the coaching staff.    Is the team built to win now, or a few years from now?     Things like that.

I'm NOT predicting we're going to sign him,  I'm only predicting that we're making a strong move for him.  Whether it's the winning move,  I just don't know....

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What's with this waiting 3 years for a drafted WR to pan out talk? No one has a clue how the drafted receivers will turn out. We could get butler or brown and they could be pro bowlers none of you know.

Of course no one knows.   

But the recorded recent history of  wide receivers is that they typically take a year or two to figure things ou in the NFL.

Far more busts with wide receivers than many other position.

Colleges are doing a poor job of preparing kids for the NFL.   Most only know a limited route tree.  Most don’t know how to read defenses well.   Most don’t know the language of the NFL where plays have long, intricate play names designed to tell everyone what they need to know.   In college, most plays have a simple uncomplicated name.   It’s the difference between basic simple math and advanced complicated algebra and geometry.

That’s why it takes so long for kids to learn the NFL and contribute. 

Most here arent saying dont draft a WR.   They’re saying also sign a FA who is more ready to contribute right away. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All I can say....   is he's got a 3-year window of stats.

And Reich and Siriani know him well.

And Ballard has a demonstrated history of offering good money,  but not going higher than what they believe the player is worth.     So, if TW is looking for every last dollar,  then he likely won't be a Colt.     But if we're offering, say $11 Mill and someone else is offering $12,  it may come down to other factors...    which city?    the coaching staff.    Is the team built to win now, or a few years from now?     Things like that.

I'm NOT predicting we're going to sign him,  I'm only predicting that we're making a strong move for him.  Whether it's the winning move,  I just don't know....

I'm with you on Williams. Can we keep signing cheaper FA's and save our cap for new contracts for our own players.. ehh on that one. We won a playoff game last year after starting 1-5. That would make a very good case that we are capable of winning it all this year. We have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds of a very good defensive draft. It seems to me if we don't "HAVE" to spend one of those picks on a top rated prospect , it would help the defense no..? 

We are ready to compete and have more cap room than any other team. Do you want to look for bargains in the "secondary " FA market ? I would think you go for it and sign the best WR. Will you overpay ? Of coarse , thats the nature of the beast. Do you think Landon Collins will be overpaid ? 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course no one knows.   

But the recorded recent history of  wide receivers is that they typically take a year or two to figure things ou in the NFL.

Far more busts with wide receivers than many other position.

Colleges are doing a poor job of preparing kids for the NFL.   Most only know a limited route tree.  Most don’t know how to read defenses well.   Most don’t know the language of the NFL where plays have long, intricate play names designed to tell everyone what they need to know.   In college, most plays have a simple uncomplicated name.   It’s the difference between basic simple math and advanced complicated algebra and geometry.

That’s why it takes so long for kids to learn the NFL and contribute. 

Most here arent saying dont draft a WR.   They’re saying also sign a FA who is more ready to contribute right away. 

Just because wr take time to develop doesn't mean we should pay Tyrell Williams like a top WR thats stupid imo 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looks like it’s a bogus Jim Irsay account.    I clicked on it and that was my takeaway.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Irsay has a blue verification check mark on his account. Yes that is a bogus account. 

Seems to be the case.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Just because we take time to develop doesn't mean we should pay Tyrell Williams like a top WR thats stupid imo 

Well...   his stats say he IS a top wide receiver.    He’s just a little off the radar.   But he’s about to become well known.

We need a FA WR that can contribute immediately.   Maybe it’s not Williams. Maybe it’s Humphries.   Maybe it’s Tate.   But it’s got to be someone.   We’re moving up in weight class.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   his stats say he IS a top wide receiver.    He’s just a little off the radar.   But he’s about to become well known.

We need a FA WR that can contribute immediately.   Maybe it’s not Williams. Maybe it’s Humphries.   Maybe it’s Tate.   But it’s got to be someone.   We’re moving up in weight class.

I'd rather pay Tate than Williams 

• Like 1

I’m not super enthused about giving him so much money but his last three years are practically mirror images of Sammy Watkins three years prior to getting $12M a year from KC. I wouldn’t have guessed he’d eclipse it but it’s not surprising if he gets a similar contract to Watkins.  Every situation is different but Watkins contract didn’t prevent the Chiefs from having arguably the best offense in the league last year. 

WE have to trust Ballard and Reich if they sign him. If Luck and Hilton were 25 years old we could develop a receiver for the future.  We need to develop receivers for the future but we also need one so we can win now. Otherwise we will waste two years until one is ready.  Hopefully cane will surprise us and make a impact right away but I doubt it.  If Ballard and Reich think he can take pressure off of TY we need to trust them and let the situation play out. If it doesn’t work then I am sure they will shoulder the blame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Then we should sign him.

Serious note, like Tyrell but the values seen floating around and referenced here are awfully high.  Almost like old rookie contracts where paying for the potential than actual past production.  Think he could be good, but if signed and a bust, would be a salary cap drag depending on terms.

8 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Word of warning. This happens every year where "reports" come out to say the Colts are in strong pursuit of somebody, but less than half the time it turns out to be true. A lot of the time is is posturing by agents to bump up the market for their player by spreading misinformation.

according to mike Lombardi on his podcast the colts don't talk to ANYONE. So yeah, these reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How about this?

Hilton, FA WR, Draft pick.  Inman, Cain.

The others you mentioned will likely be gone, or be on the PS.   And I’ve only listed 5 WRs.   We might carry six. 

Lots of options.

This makes some sense to me. I do think they will carry 6 WRs, but that said, these would be the ideal first 5. Give me Williams or Humphries as the FA wideout. The team claims they need another alpha dog at WR. You grab one in FA and draft one as well. Then look out. 

• Like 2

Humphries is starting to grow on me.  This past season our biggest issue as it pertains to the receiving corps was dropped catchable passes.  He's young, healthy and he catches well.

With Humphries in the slot, and TY on the outside, Ballard would be in a great position to draft a bigger/taller wideout in the 2nd.  

Tate is another option but he will be 31 when the season starts.  

Tyrell is also an option, along with a slot receiver in the draft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superman said:

The connection has always been logical and obvious. But we've seen this before -- Dontari Poe, Anthony Hitchens, etc. We'll see what happens next week.

Williams is probably my third choice for a FA wide receiver, behind Humphries and maybe Tate, at the right value.

Williams is a very different from Humphries and Tate. If Ballard wants to add a slot Humphries all the way. But Williams is big and fast to play on the outside opposite of TY. I think Williams is the type of guy we need. 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd rather pay Tate than Williams 

Im ok with that.   A solid veteran who is going to be ready when the opening game bell rings.    A real professional.

Someone Luck can be confident with almost immediately.

Williams, Humphries and Tate.   In any order any poster would like.   Someone we can all feel good opposite Hilton.

Now we’re cooking!    :thmup:

Watching those highlights we clearly don’t have a receiver like that. He looks a little like Ebron receiving but can be used on the entire field.  He does look like if he was the best wide receiver on a team he could be a number one. I think it’s just a numbers game for the chargers. Looks like he could create a lot of matchup problems and complicate TY speed.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im ok with that.   A solid veteran who is going to be ready when the opening game bell rings.    A real professional.

Someone Luck can be confident with almost immediately.

Williams, Humphries and Tate.   In any order any poster would like.   Someone we can all feel good opposite Hilton.

Now we’re cooking!    :thmup:

I like Williams it's just I'm afraid to pay him top pay and him not live up to it when he's being asked to do alot more 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I like Williams it's just I'm afraid to pay him top pay and him not live up to it when he's being asked to do alot more 

I think any big FA wide receiver is going to come with that risk. Sometimes you Have to take the risk. The good news is the coaches are very familiar with him. So the unknown is a lot less. Those highlights are pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Torn on this. Love that he is a "take the top off the D" kind of guy. If Luck wants him, I'm good with it. 

Otherwise, I think I'd rather draft a speed guy with one of two first picks. Keep in mind though that Cain is a 4.43 guy and 6-2.

NFL.com just released their FA rankings. TW is 36th. They have Tate above him at 26th. 

If we are going to keep Inman (which I want to do), and draft a WR with the first 2 or three picks, I just don't know that I'd want to spend the money. If we get get a good but short deal I'd probably be OK. I think the changes of getting good/short is better with a guy like Tate, than Williams.

19 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Torn on this. Love that he is a "take the top off the D" kind of guy. If Luck wants him, I'm good with it. 

Otherwise, I think I'd rather draft a speed guy with one of two first picks. Keep in mind though that Cain is a 4.43 guy and 6-2.

NFL.com just released their FA rankings. TW is 36th. They have Tate above him at 26th. 

If we are going to keep Inman (which I want to do), and draft a WR with the first 2 or three picks, I just don't know that I'd want to spend the money. If we get get a good but short deal I'd probably be OK. I think the changes of getting good/short is better with a guy like Tate, than Williams.

Problem is Williams will come in and make a impact right away. A draft WR your looking at maybe two years.  Tate I believe is older.