Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeVante Parker "all but gone" in Miami?

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Parker has never lived up to his first round status. Hes no better then Dorsett

Maybe it's because he's never had a good QB.  Dorsett had Luck and now Brady.  Same result for Dorsett.  Maybe a change of scenery to a great QB like Luck would do wonders for his career.  Just ask Ebron. 

• Like 2

He is very streaky, from what I remember. He will show up for 1 big game and have 3 or 4 duds in a row.

1 year take it or leave it deal like Ryan Grant. He would be an upgrade over Ryan Grant and if Ryan Grant is not re-signed, I'd be fine with DaVante on a 1 year deal. Then, we go from there to see if it was the WR or the QB that was the problem.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe it's because he's never had a good QB.  Dorsett had Luck and now Brady.  Same result for Dorsett.  Maybe a change of scenery to a great QB like Luck would do wonders for his career.  Just ask Ebron. 

Jarvis Landry excelled

55 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He is very streaky, from what I remember. He will show up for 1 big game and have 3 or 4 duds in a row.

1 year take it or leave it deal like Ryan Grant. He would be an upgrade over Ryan Grant and if Ryan Grant is not re-signed, I'd be fine with DaVante on a 1 year deal. Then, we go from there to see if it was the WR or the QB that was the problem.

Not a bad idea imo like you said he is better than Grant 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, I could see this, as an Ebron-type move.  

Parker's college tape is so much better than his pro tape.  He looks smooth, is catching balls in rhythm.  Can do it all, really.

Could be the QB/offense in Miami.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It wouldn't have to be a 1 year deal if the money was right.

IMO Parker has been a victim of sporadic QB play at best since he has been in Miami.

• Like 4

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

I’d rather keep Inman. Parker is the definition of “ghost”. No, Pay Inman instead. At least Inman caught a few key balls from Luck in the playoffs.

Inman is a keeper, no doubt to me. Parker for Grant is what most of us are wanting to take the chance on.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, chad72 said:

ack.. there are much better FA's out there than Parker.  Why crowd the room with more dead wood? Same with Grant.. I wouldn't want him back for free.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

ack.. there are much better FA's out there than Parker.  Why crowd the room with more dead wood? Same with Grant.. I wouldn't want him back for free.  

the WR market is extremely thin, and that seems to be true most years.  teams are not letting good ones get away.  there are some in the draft, but its going to take a high pick to get them.  

that said im not all in on parker or anything, but i would be interested

On 2/20/2019 at 1:35 PM, crazycolt1 said:

It wouldn't have to be a 1 year deal if the money was right.

IMO Parker has been a victim of sporadic QB play at best since he has been in Miami.

Parker was injured quite a bit.  I would blame it on QB play but Jarvis Landry never seemed to suffer from that.  Not sure what the issue was outside of him always being in the tub.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:45 AM, aaron11 said:

the WR market is extremely thin, and that seems to be true most years.  teams are not letting good ones get away.  there are some in the draft, but its going to take a high pick to get them.  

that said im not all in on parker or anything, but i would be interested

There's no point in bringing in a guy who has had plenty of time to show you who he is.  I was shocked when they brought Grant in because he was underwhelming in DC.  I think with their inside connection with Tyrell Williams, we're going to snag him and he's going to do well.  He's always been talented, he was just in the deepest WR room in the NFL I think.  When called upon, he delivered.  He would clearly be our second best receiver and you add in Inman and we have a reliable and explosive WR corp with our young guys in tow.  Of course there's rumbling about two big name receivers but I just can't see us signing either.  Full court press on Tyrell, bring our injured rookie from last year back in the fold, resign Inman and draft a guy if he's there when we pick whether it be round 2 or 3 etc.  They may find a guy later than that even.  Ballard seems to have his finger on the pulse, hopefully Grant was just a brain fart.  

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

There's no point in bringing in a guy who has had plenty of time to show you who he is.  I was shocked when they brought Grant in because he was underwhelming in DC.  I think with their inside connection with Tyrell Williams, we're going to snag him and he's going to do well.  He's always been talented, he was just in the deepest WR room in the NFL I think.  When called upon, he delivered.  He would clearly be our second best receiver and you add in Inman and we have a reliable and explosive WR corp with our young guys in tow.  Of course there's rumbling about two big name receivers but I just can't see us signing either.  Full court press on Tyrell, bring our injured rookie from last year back in the fold, resign Inman and draft a guy if he's there when we pick whether it be round 2 or 3 etc.  They may find a guy later than that even.  Ballard seems to have his finger on the pulse, hopefully Grant was just a brain fart.  

I don't think Grant was a brain fart at all. We have never really seen a healthy Grant. It was worth taking a chance on him at the time he was signed.

You mentioned Inman and he wasn't even on a NFL roster when he was signed in October.

Parker could be one of those players who just needs a change in scenery like Inman.

I do agree with you about Williams but he will be getting offers from a few teams along with the Colts.

I think Humphries and Beasley could be on the Colts radar as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think Grant was a brain fart at all. We have never really seen a healthy Grant. It was worth taking a chance on him at the time he was signed.

You mentioned Inman and he wasn't even on a NFL roster when he was signed in October.

Parker could be one of those players who just needs a change in scenery like Inman.

I do agree with you about Williams but he will be getting offers from a few teams along with the Colts.

I think Humphries and Beasley could be on the Colts radar as well.

Well, let's face it, Ballard isn't perfect (I know, shocking news to some).  He waited a year too long to really address the O line (by his own admission) and in my opinion he similarly waited too long to seriously address our WR position.  Grant was at best a low end 3 candidate, but he couldn't even hold up that part of it.  Similarly, I would suggest they SHOULD have brought Inman in much earlier, we may well have won 2 of those 5 games we lost early.  Luck did more with less, much like Brady has always been able to do, but to beat teams like that in the playoffs, the Ryan Grant's of the world can't be part of it, healthy or not.  He had a blind spot twice so far (all human's do) so hopefully we'll see him fix the WR corps much like he did the O Line last year.  I don't disagree that Humpries and Beasley are the two other FA's that would be worth pursuing, frankly I wouldn't mind him signing Williams and one of those two both and saving the draft pick many expect him to use.  It is a weak year all around for WRs, but with our cap space and attractive upward trajectory team wide, there's really no excuse for us not to have a stellar WR group even with the slim pickens.  Pascal may be key to that, I think he still has much more to give us and he wasn't bad when he was "on" last year.  The only question really is which position group is Ballard most likely to overlook this year?  Hopefully he's going to break that trend this year.  

38 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, let's face it, Ballard isn't perfect (I know, shocking news to some).  He waited a year too long to really address the O line (by his own admission) and in my opinion he similarly waited too long to seriously address our WR position.  Grant was at best a low end 3 candidate, but he couldn't even hold up that part of it.  Similarly, I would suggest they SHOULD have brought Inman in much earlier, we may well have won 2 of those 5 games we lost early.  Luck did more with less, much like Brady has always been able to do, but to beat teams like that in the playoffs, the Ryan Grant's of the world can't be part of it, healthy or not.  He had a blind spot twice so far (all human's do) so hopefully we'll see him fix the WR corps much like he did the O Line last year.  I don't disagree that Humpries and Beasley are the two other FA's that would be worth pursuing, frankly I wouldn't mind him signing Williams and one of those two both and saving the draft pick many expect him to use.  It is a weak year all around for WRs, but with our cap space and attractive upward trajectory team wide, there's really no excuse for us not to have a stellar WR group even with the slim pickens.  Pascal may be key to that, I think he still has much more to give us and he wasn't bad when he was "on" last year.  The only question really is which position group is Ballard most likely to overlook this year?  Hopefully he's going to break that trend this year.  

The positive that can be taken out of Ballard addressing the O-line a year too late is we ended up with Nelson and Smith. So it can't be said a little too late as it worked out.

I'm pretty excited with the way things are looking. Finally having a good O-line has me fired up a little.

I will have my eyes on Cain. Personally I think he has the talent but it's a wait and see thing now.

9 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I have to agree we should have an inside track on Williams due to Reich's connection in SD.  If I remember correctly we thought we had the connection to the Dallas linebacker who went to another team last year, Hitchens I believe, because of Eberflus.  The thing we have going for us this time is Luck's reemergence and our upward trajectory not to mention the cap space of course.  FA will be interesting to say the least.  

On 2/20/2019 at 10:46 AM, CR91 said:

Parker has never lived up to his first round status. Hes no better then Dorsett

Dorsett has had Luck and Brady throwing to him.....

Parker has had Tannehill, Matt Moore, Osweiler and Cutler.....

Parker

26 - 494 - 3

56 - 744 - 4

57 - 670 - 1

24 - 309 - 1

Versus

Dorsett

18 - 225 - 1

33 - 528 - 2

12 - 194 - 0

32 - 290 - 3

While Parker has not lit up the scoreboard he's been twice as good as Dorsett on teams twice as bad....

I would give him a shot opposite T.Y. to prove his talent level on a modest contract.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Parker

26 - 494 - 3

56 - 744 - 4

57 - 670 - 1

24 - 309 - 1

Versus

Dorsett

18 - 225 - 1

33 - 528 - 2

12 - 194 - 0

32 - 290 - 3

While Parker has not lit up the scoreboard he's been twice as good as Dorsett on teams twice as bad....

I would give him a shot opposite T.Y. to prove his talent level on a modest contract.

I would agree.  I think he would be a perfect candidate for a two year. Ebron type contract.  Considering Luck would be his QB I would hate to potentially lose him after one year if it works out.  

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Parker

26 - 494 - 3

56 - 744 - 4

57 - 670 - 1

24 - 309 - 1

Versus

Dorsett

18 - 225 - 1

33 - 528 - 2

12 - 194 - 0

32 - 290 - 3

Landry had those same QBs and he excelled

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Landry also played the slot and barely averaged 10 yards a reception during those same years....10.095 to be exact

Landry is a good receiver, no doubt, but was always the first option on underneath routes.

Parker on the outside with a legit QB that is capable of looking at his 2nd or 3rd option and he'd have better stats, including a 13.6 ypc average.

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

True but aren't they two different types of receivers?  Parker is the taller big bodied type while Landry is the shorter, lighter quicker type of receiver.  Plays the slot mostly I think.  Could be a function of play design, taken longer time for routes to develop vs. quicker shorter throws.  QB accuracy on the deeper ball as well.  

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Landry also played the slot and barely averaged 10 yards a reception during those same years....10.095 to be exact

Landry is a good receiver, no doubt, but was always the first option on underneath routes.

Parker on the outside with a legit QB that is capable of looking at his 2nd or 3rd option and he'd have better stats, including a 13.6 ypc average.

He had the chance to be the number one option and he got outplayed by Albert Wilson

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Wilson was putting up numbers before he got hurt.

Game 1- 3 catches for 31 yds.

Game 2-  3 catches for 37 yds. 1 TD

Game 3- 2 catches for 74 yds. 1 TD

Game 4- 4 catches for 19 yds.

Game 5- 5 catches for 43 yds.

Game 6- 6 catches for 155 yds. 2 TDs

Game 7- 3 catches for 32 yds.

So he had one (maybe 2) games you can call good?

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Game 1- 3 catches for 31 yds.

Game 2-  3 catches for 37 yds. 1 TD

Game 3- 2 catches for 74 yds. 1 TD

Game 4- 4 catches for 19 yds.

Game 5- 5 catches for 43 yds.

Game 6- 6 catches for 155 yds. 2 TDs

Game 7- 3 catches for 32 yds.

So he had one (maybe 2) games you can call good?

Thats 400 yards and 4 tds in 7 games. season end he could have had 1000 yards and 9 tds

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Thats 400 yards and 4 tds in 7 games. season end he could have had 1000 yards and 9 tds

But yet he didn't.

Miami's QBs were not good enough to find the talent on that team. In the last 10 years the Dolphins have had 1 season where they have won over 50% of their games. That can be attributed directly at their lack of QB play.  Throwing stats for any of their players is not a way to judge if they are good or bad.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

But yet he didn't.

Miami's QBs were not good enough to find the talent on that team. In the last 10 years the Dolphins have had 1 season where they have won over 50% of their games. That can be attributed directly at their QB play.  Throwing stats for any of their players is not a way to judge if they are good or bad.

You're blaming him for getting hurt? And yet guys like Jay Ajayi charles clay and jarvis landry have made plays. Parker is a bust. Even if he plays for us, that doesn't mean he'll perform. Ebron's success was mostly due to Reich playing to his strength which is body control and speed. Also this offense asks a lot from our TEs. 

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're blaming him for getting hurt? And yet guys like Jay Ajayi charles clay and jarvis landry have made plays. Parker is a bust. Even if he plays for us, that doesn't mean he'll perform. Ebron's success was mostly due to Reich playing to his strength which is body control and speed. Also this offense asks a lot from our TEs. 

Now you are putting words in my mouth.

If you don't think the lack of QB play effects the receivers numbers I don't know what to tell you.

Parker may end up being a bust but his time with Miami don't hold that answer.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now you are putting words in my mouth.

If you don't think the lack of QB play effects the receivers numbers I don't know what to tell you.

Parker may end up being a bust but his time with Miami don't hold that answer.

Im not saying it doesn't, but really good wrs can still make plays without good QB play. Hilton did it twice, Reggie still put up numbers in 2011, fitz has done it basically his entire career. 

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Im not saying it doesn't, but really good wrs can still make plays without good QB play. Hilton did it twice, Reggie still put up numbers in 2011, fitz has done it basically his entire career. 

Now you are hand picking three of the greatest WR in history to compare him to? :facepalm: