Sign in to follow this  
stitches

Final compensatory pick projections released: Colts get a 4th round compensatory pick in the 2019 NFL draft for losing Donte Moncrief to the Jags

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

In several posts I pointed out that we have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, but that they are generally a lot lower in each of the rounds than what has been the case the past two drafts, which stands to reason we should get fewer pillar players out of this draft.  To the people who think Ballard is such a genius that it doesn't matter and he'll find just as many pillars anyway, I suppose what I said looks contrarian when compared to that opinion.

I think you are stating the obvious. So anyone that doesn't get that isn't worth a back and forth. JMO.
 The good news is that in drafts it is said prospects from picks 20-40 or so are fairly equal. After that it is on your GM and his staff to find our kind of player.
 Can Ballard find guys wherever he picks that have top notch potential in his system? I think after next season even the fans here that have a lot to learn will be fascinated with his Colts draft picks and our player development.
Some are coming around already thank goodness.

You guys need to leave ol Doug Dew alone. I know what he was trying to say; that the Colts exceeded expectations with a great year and will therefore pay the price that all good teams do with lower picks in each round. Their ability to rebuild with high draft picks has been set back some. 

That said, I think Ballard has obviously shown that he can pick talent at any level of the draft. The Colts will be fine. 

2 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Depending on how many rubbish picks...along with how many QBs...that always happen in the draft, our Jets pick is really valuable. Meaning, with all the talent coming out, we really have a shot at two top notch guys... The second 2nd round pick is going to be interesting if a couple QBs slide...

I agree.  I think the top of the second round is usually a good place to be because the teams at the bottom of the first (the winning teams with good rosters) seem to be willing to take flyers on developmental types or impactful role player types in hopes of striking it big, rather than taking an otherwise boring BPA. 

46 minutes ago, Hoose said:

You guys need to leave ol Doug Dew alone. I know what he was trying to say; that the Colts exceeded expectations with a great year and will therefore pay the price that all good teams do with lower picks in each round. Their ability to rebuild with high draft picks has been set back some. 

That said, I think Ballard has obviously shown that he can pick talent at any level of the draft. The Colts will be fine. 

Thanks.  They are just giving me a hard time.....

probably because I haven't called our season AMAZING!!!

• Like 1

That 4th round pick might be why Ballard waited so long to sign some guys.  If he would have signed Ebron right away for example it might have canceled out that pick.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, DougDew said:

In several posts I pointed out that we have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, but that they are generally a lot lower in each of the rounds than what has been the case the past two drafts, which stands to reason we should get fewer pillar players out of this draft.  To the people who think Ballard is such a genius that it doesn't matter and he'll find just as many pillars anyway, I suppose what I said looks contrarian when compared to that opinion.

I almost completely disagree.  Ultimately there are "pillar" players in almost every round, but the GM has to have the eye for them.  Case in point...and this is a very small sampling... 

Josh Norman - 5th round CB - 2011

Gino Atkins - 4th round DT - 2010

Jason Witten - 3rd round TE - 2003

Cam Chancellor - 5th round S - 2010

Justin Houston - 3rd round LB - 2011

Richard Sherman - 5th round CB - 2011

Antonio Brown - 6th round WR - 2010

11 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I almost completely disagree.  Ultimately there are "pillar" players in almost every round, but the GM has to have the eye for them.  Case in point...and this is a very small sampling... 

Josh Norman - 5th round CB - 2011

Gino Atkins - 4th round DT - 2010

Jason Witten - 3rd round TE - 2003

Cam Chancellor - 5th round S - 2010

Justin Houston - 3rd round LB - 2011

Richard Sherman - 5th round CB - 2011

Antonio Brown - 6th round WR - 2010

Thats true.

But......... getting a star in the 5th round is a bit like a lottery 

All 32 teams have staff that scours the backgrounds and evaluate thousands of kids

I believe its getting more difficult to get a diamond in the rough, in late rounds.  It still happens.

I think that you have to prep and research your draft list........  play your lotto numbers!

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Do you remember the thread with a poll at the beginning of the season?

Most Colts fans expected a record around 7-9 to 9-7 with an optimistic lean.

Fans expecting a losing record were in the minority.

A poll where Colts fans vote on how the Colts regular season will go. Hmmm. That's definitely not biased at all. In real life, Vegas had the season win total at 6.5.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, DougDew said:

Another year of high picks would have been better in the long run.  Not really complaining of course, but I want a robust roster to keep us contending each year. 

I'm with you Doug. One more year of adding higher caliber prospects was what I was hoping for. I'm a Chris Ballard fan but the odds of him hitting homeruns in every draft are slim. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

A poll where Colts fans vote on how the Colts regular season will go. Hmmm. That's definitely not biased at all.

That was kind of my point to Doug... why would he expect a Colts fan to expect a losing season?

He apparently has unreasonable expectations about unreasonable expectations.  :D