Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final compensatory pick projections released: Colts get a 4th round compensatory pick in the 2019 NFL draft for losing Donte Moncrief to the Jags

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

In several posts I pointed out that we have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, but that they are generally a lot lower in each of the rounds than what has been the case the past two drafts, which stands to reason we should get fewer pillar players out of this draft.  To the people who think Ballard is such a genius that it doesn't matter and he'll find just as many pillars anyway, I suppose what I said looks contrarian when compared to that opinion.

I think you are stating the obvious. So anyone that doesn't get that isn't worth a back and forth. JMO.
 The good news is that in drafts it is said prospects from picks 20-40 or so are fairly equal. After that it is on your GM and his staff to find our kind of player.
 Can Ballard find guys wherever he picks that have top notch potential in his system? I think after next season even the fans here that have a lot to learn will be fascinated with his Colts draft picks and our player development.
Some are coming around already thank goodness.

You guys need to leave ol Doug Dew alone. I know what he was trying to say; that the Colts exceeded expectations with a great year and will therefore pay the price that all good teams do with lower picks in each round. Their ability to rebuild with high draft picks has been set back some. 

That said, I think Ballard has obviously shown that he can pick talent at any level of the draft. The Colts will be fine. 

2 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Depending on how many rubbish picks...along with how many QBs...that always happen in the draft, our Jets pick is really valuable. Meaning, with all the talent coming out, we really have a shot at two top notch guys... The second 2nd round pick is going to be interesting if a couple QBs slide...

I agree.  I think the top of the second round is usually a good place to be because the teams at the bottom of the first (the winning teams with good rosters) seem to be willing to take flyers on developmental types or impactful role player types in hopes of striking it big, rather than taking an otherwise boring BPA. 

46 minutes ago, Hoose said:

You guys need to leave ol Doug Dew alone. I know what he was trying to say; that the Colts exceeded expectations with a great year and will therefore pay the price that all good teams do with lower picks in each round. Their ability to rebuild with high draft picks has been set back some. 

That said, I think Ballard has obviously shown that he can pick talent at any level of the draft. The Colts will be fine. 

Thanks.  They are just giving me a hard time.....

probably because I haven't called our season AMAZING!!!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, DougDew said:

In several posts I pointed out that we have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, but that they are generally a lot lower in each of the rounds than what has been the case the past two drafts, which stands to reason we should get fewer pillar players out of this draft.  To the people who think Ballard is such a genius that it doesn't matter and he'll find just as many pillars anyway, I suppose what I said looks contrarian when compared to that opinion.

I almost completely disagree.  Ultimately there are "pillar" players in almost every round, but the GM has to have the eye for them.  Case in point...and this is a very small sampling... 

Josh Norman - 5th round CB - 2011

Gino Atkins - 4th round DT - 2010

Jason Witten - 3rd round TE - 2003

Cam Chancellor - 5th round S - 2010

Justin Houston - 3rd round LB - 2011

Richard Sherman - 5th round CB - 2011

Antonio Brown - 6th round WR - 2010

11 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I almost completely disagree.  Ultimately there are "pillar" players in almost every round, but the GM has to have the eye for them.  Case in point...and this is a very small sampling... 

Josh Norman - 5th round CB - 2011

Gino Atkins - 4th round DT - 2010

Jason Witten - 3rd round TE - 2003

Cam Chancellor - 5th round S - 2010

Justin Houston - 3rd round LB - 2011

Richard Sherman - 5th round CB - 2011

Antonio Brown - 6th round WR - 2010

Thats true.

But......... getting a star in the 5th round is a bit like a lottery 

All 32 teams have staff that scours the backgrounds and evaluate thousands of kids

I believe its getting more difficult to get a diamond in the rough, in late rounds.  It still happens.

I think that you have to prep and research your draft list........  play your lotto numbers!

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Do you remember the thread with a poll at the beginning of the season?

Most Colts fans expected a record around 7-9 to 9-7 with an optimistic lean.

Fans expecting a losing record were in the minority.

A poll where Colts fans vote on how the Colts regular season will go. Hmmm. That's definitely not biased at all. In real life, Vegas had the season win total at 6.5.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, DougDew said:

Another year of high picks would have been better in the long run.  Not really complaining of course, but I want a robust roster to keep us contending each year. 

I'm with you Doug. One more year of adding higher caliber prospects was what I was hoping for. I'm a Chris Ballard fan but the odds of him hitting homeruns in every draft are slim. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

A poll where Colts fans vote on how the Colts regular season will go. Hmmm. That's definitely not biased at all.

That was kind of my point to Doug... why would he expect a Colts fan to expect a losing season?

He apparently has unreasonable expectations about unreasonable expectations.  :D

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, stitches said:

It seems like the formula determined we should have had another compensatory 7th round pick, but the limit put on the number of compensatory picks by the NFL cut that pick out so we only get the 4th rounder. 

The 7th would have been for Frank Gore.  But yes they limit the compensatory picks at 32.  

Oh well I'm happy with the 4th.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The 7th would have been for Frank Gore.  But yes they limit the compensatory picks at 32.  

Oh well I'm happy with the 4th.  

Yeah we were never gonna get that 7th for Gore, his contract value was too far down the list. OTC had him as the 37th qualified player.

A system fit can end up being a "pillar player" though chosen later because he fit our system better than someone else. The early signs are that Ballard and Reich/Eberflus/Sirianni seem to be on the same page with regards to the exact type of players they want in the draft. That was something Bill Polian did well with Marv Levy and Dungy, and their coaches.

I did not see enough of that take place in the Grigson/Pagano combo, no matter who was at fault. That is why I feel that player development and system compatibility could lead to a lot of players exceeding their draft capital invested, if things proceed the same way. Hence I am not bent out of shape over the later draft picks.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:09 PM, MikeCurtis said:

We may.... may ....consider trading 1 or 2 picks THIS year.... for better picks NEXT year

Are there 9 spots for new rookies this year?

Very good point.  We now have 6 picks in the 1st. four rounds.  We should trade picks 5,6,7 to move those 6 up or for next year.  The 1st four rounds are where the meat and potatoes are. 

If you want to be a good team you must learn to sustain success while picking in the later part of each round. NE, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Seattle, Green Bay are examples of organizations that understand what players fit their systems and allows them to continue being successful. The goal is to win your division for a home game in the playoffs.  Getting to the dance as much as you can gives you more chances to go to the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 6:32 AM, Valpo2004 said:

That 4th round pick might be why Ballard waited so long to sign some guys.  If he would have signed Ebron right away for example it might have canceled out that pick.

I don't think this is correct.    The Colts signed Ebron on March 19th.   About one week into free agency.    

The signing dates for every player are right on the players profile page here on the website.

Here's the info for Ebron....

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/eric-ebron/

On 1/7/2019 at 6:09 PM, MikeCurtis said:

We may.... may ....consider trading 1 or 2 picks THIS year.... for better picks NEXT year

Are there 9 spots for new rookies this year?

I know this post was 6 weeks ago,  but just wanted to say that I don't think this is going to happen.

This is a defensive heavy draft.    I'd think Ballard would want all the picks he can get his hands on this year.       If he happens to get some picks for next year too,  even better.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know this post was 6 weeks ago,  but just wanted to say that I don't think this is going to happen.

This is a defensive heavy draft.    I'd think Ballard would want all the picks he can get his hands on this year.       If he happens to get some picks for next year too,  even better.

As I said, It was a "MAY happen" situation. Not a lock

Personally, In years where we have extra draft capitol, I would like to see the "extra" be considered for moving to better draft spots

Hey....... NCF   Why do you have your PM turned off?  I was going to send you a note    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

As I said, It was a "MAY happen" situation. Not a lock

Personally, In years where we have extra draft capitol, I would like to see the "extra" be considered for moving to better draft spots

Hey....... NCF   Why do you have your PM turned off?  I was going to send you a note    

I'm not aware that my PM is turned off.    I just got two private messages in the last two days.

I'll double check,  but PLEASE try again!

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would guestimate that we have about 35 guys on our roster that are definite keepers. And at cut time we are looking for 63 including the practice squad.
 We have plenty of room for 9 picks.
 That said, i bet CB tries to move up at least once. 

I'll agree with the trade up at least once....

And I would NOT be surprised if we actually trade down at least once,  if not twice.

Ballard just LOVES to collect more picks.     Remember, he basically hit on all of his Day 3 picks last year,  including two in the 7th round.    The man and his staff can find talent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And I would NOT be surprised if we actually trade down at least once,  if not twice.

Ballard just LOVES to collect more picks.     Remember, he basically hit on all of his Day 3 picks last year,  including two in the 7th round.    The man and his staff can find talent.

This is the message I got from the site

NewColtsFan cannot receive messages.

Maybe you sort of blocked me  :)

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not aware that my PM is turned off.    I just got two private messages in the last two days.

I'll double check,  but PLEASE try again!

A while ago I wanted to send you something and it said I cannot send you a PM. I'm not sure if your PMs are turned off or your PM box is full, but yah. I managed to go through by going on an old PM thread between us. @MikeCurtis if you have old PM thread with NCF you can try sending PM there. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

A while ago I wanted to send you something and it said I cannot send you a PM. I'm not sure if your PMs are turned off or your PM box is full, but yah. I managed to go through by going on an old PM thread between us. @MikeCurtis if you have old PM thread with NCF you can try sending PM there. 

Try now.    I realized what had happened.      I needed to delete some past e-mails.    I try to save as many as I can and my mailbox got full.     See if it works now!

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

This is the message I got from the site

NewColtsFan cannot receive messages.

Maybe you sort of blocked me  :)

Mike.....

I tried to send you a message.

And the notice I got was the same as you received.

Mike Curtis cannot receive messages.

???????????

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, DougDew said:

Its possible.  But Smith and Leonard were high seconds.  Without the Jets pick, we are stuck in Turay/Lewis territory.  Any player drafted after them is nothing special, IMO.

So Ballard really only has pick 26 and the Jets second rounder to really expand the number of pillar type of players.   Other picks are probably not ever going to be great players or pillars of the team, but more like rotational depth types.

If we lost this year like we should have, we'd have a top 15 pick and another high second to go with the Jets pick.  That would get us at least 3 pillar players or a trade down for possibly 4.  Darn Andrew!!!

If we lost this year like we should have?  :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we lost this year like we should have?  :facepalm:

You realize this was discussed roughly 6 weeks ago.

A poor choice of words by Doug.

What he was attempting to say if we had lost as many had expected us to lose.

That's all.     And it's all spelled out in the thread.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, chad72 said:

A system fit can end up being a "pillar player" though chosen later because he fit our system better than someone else. The early signs are that Ballard and Reich/Eberflus/Sirianni seem to be on the same page with regards to the exact type of players they want in the draft. That was something Bill Polian did well with Marv Levy and Dungy, and their coaches.

I did not see enough of that take place in the Grigson/Pagano combo, no matter who was at fault. That is why I feel that player development and system compatibility could lead to a lot of players exceeding their draft capital invested, if things proceed the same way. Hence I am not bent out of shape over the later draft picks.

I agree. It's not where you pick, it's who you pick.

Successful teams finds those players that fit their teams no matter where they are at.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You realize this was discussed roughly 6 weeks ago.

A poor choice of words by Doug.

What he was attempting to say if we had lost as many had expected us to lose.

That's all.     And it's all spelled out in the thread.

My reaction was based on what was said. No more, no less.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:58 AM, stitches said:

Here's the official confirmation on the compensatory picks:

Colts get the 135th pick(compensatory) in the 4th round.

What I find most interesting about this year's Comp picks is this....

Most years,  I'd guess 8 to 9 out of 10,  the third round gets only 4 comp picks.    This year,  that number is an astonishing (to me) 7.    Seven!

And the 4th and 5th rounds, which typically get 7-8 picks,  get 4 each.   Only 4.   Interesting.  (again,  to me)    The 6th and 7th round picks round out the list.

A footnote:   we are now listed as having the 59th    I've been operating that our 2nd round pick was 58.    Does anyone else remember that?    Pick 58?     Anyone else surprised to see that it's now pick 59?     Or has it always been that way,  and I just misread the master list?

Anyone?      Anyone at all.....

On 2/23/2019 at 11:18 AM, NewColtsFan said:

That is why I feel the #34 pick could be a classic trade down pick for us though some folks look at Leonard and Braden Smith and do not want to give up better talent that may be available there. But like you said, these guys have shown they can get talent later as well, that is why I am not as worried if they trade down. Plus the fact that not all players are system (O or D) independent at that point and can be more valuable to others than us and vice versa.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 6:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

What I find most interesting about this year's Comp picks is this....

Most years,  I'd guess 8 to 9 out of 10,  the third round gets only 4 comp picks.    This year,  that number is an astonishing (to me) 7.    Seven!

And the 4th and 5th rounds, which typically get 7-8 picks,  get 4 each.   Only 4.   Interesting.  (again,  to me)    The 6th and 7th round picks round out the list.

A footnote:   we are now listed as having the 59th    I've been operating that our 2nd round pick was 58.    Does anyone else remember that?    Pick 58?     Anyone else surprised to see that it's now pick 59?     Or has it always been that way,  and I just misread the master list?

Anyone?      Anyone at all.....

I am surprised as well. Several sites confirm the No.59 now. USA Today, SB Nation etc.

I guess we all got it wrong, including several sites since this Cowboys site had their round 2 pick at No.58 as back as January 31st.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/31/dallas-cowboys-catch-this-fade-podcast-2019-nfl-draft-jonah-tuls-kris-richard-overrated/

The downside is the Cowboys might be looking at the same kind of prospects for edge rushing as we are as well.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/15/2019-nfl-draft-3-pass-rushers-who-may-be-of-interest-at-no-58/

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am surprised as well. Several sites confirm the No.59 now. USA Today, SB Nation etc.

I guess we all got it wrong, including several sites since this Cowboys site had their round 2 pick at No.58 as back as January 31st.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/31/dallas-cowboys-catch-this-fade-podcast-2019-nfl-draft-jonah-tuls-kris-richard-overrated/

The downside is the Cowboys might be looking at the same kind of prospects for edge rushing as we are as well.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/15/2019-nfl-draft-3-pass-rushers-who-may-be-of-interest-at-no-58/

Ironically...   after I wrote my post, I was on Spotrac and they still showed us with pick 58.    Go figure.

But the ultimate source you’d think is Colts.com.    And in a story late last week they showed us with.............

Pick 59.  

So I guess it’s official.  Oh well.